Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Loving this poo poo, looking forward to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Certainly aggressive.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Talk about an own goal.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Omnikin posted:

He's going for it. Fabi's in a bad way right now

He did. Still probably remis, but now that I've said that it probably won't be.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Re Misérables

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hand Knit posted:

Carlsen is blundering and Caruana is playing with total cowardice.

Carlsen is deffo doing that thing where he sometimes takes dumb chances in some sort of mental game I assume and Caruana is playing like a guy who doesn't need to win during these rounds and can totally go toe-to-toe with Carlsen during the lightning rounds and such. Which, you know, might not be the case.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
gently caress was that rook move?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What the gently caress.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
No what the actual gently caress.

Obviously I don't know enough about chess to understand that decision but what the hell. Is it just that 90 moves ahead Carlsen saw an inevatible remis? Caruana just said he was surprised.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That's kind of inhuman. Are we sure Carlsen isn't an AI?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Teddybear posted:

God, that three weeks of chess could be decided by one missed move...

If anything, shows Caruana's quality. He's gone toe to toe with a monster of a chess player and matched him completely so far.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hand Knit posted:

I feel like that's a bit strong.

e: I also feel like this opening choice is a bit ambitious from Carlsen.

How so? I mean I'm very impressed with Caruana so far. And Carlsen, I mean... He's pretty scary to play against.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hand Knit posted:

I feel like 2014 Carlsen would've been around +4 with the way things have gone.

I see your point. Yeah, maybe. I honestly don't know what's up with that, if it's general fatigue or if he's slowing down or is prepping wrong.

Even slow Carlsen is pretty scary though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh. Well. Uh.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

vyelkin posted:

The rapids are really exposing how once Caruana gets out of his insane engine prep he's simply not as good as Carlsen.

A lot of people have been expecting exactly this scenario though.

It's one of the main defences I've heard for Carlsen offering remis in the 12th game, that there was no benefit to risking it all in the last game against a very strong opponent over just playing to his strenghts like what's happening now.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Super Jay Mann posted:

Maybe players like Caruana should just git gud at Rapid and maybe they wouldn't be embarrassed like this. :colbert:

I'm actually comfortable with the champion being the overall best player in playoffs such as this. But yes, I think that would be the most entertaining.

• Locked thread