Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

so much for magnus winning it easily

No one could possibly had seriously though Magnus was winning it easily. Caruana is one of 3 people who can go toe-to-toe with Magnus any day of the week. (Mamedyarov is the other. Kramnik is the third.)

also:
Game 2 feels like a recovery game from game 1.

Magnus effect is probably not in play here. Caruana is not as scared of Carlsen as most other players in the world, so he should be able to keep his head. Also Magnus is playing someone younger than him for the first time in his WCC run. Can't run long brutal games to wear his opponent down physically.

This match is going to produce an immortal at some point.

tonberrytoby posted:

Two games where white had to hold a draw. Pretty unexpected.
But a good sign for the tournament. Unless both players decide to respec to boring over the rest day.

Does Carlsen have a boring setting? Caruana has played aggressive all year too.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

My stupid newsfeed keeps spoiling the game results for me in the headlines. I just want to wait and find out what happens in the agadmator videos.

I'll be able to watch game 3 live but after that, It's going to be get spoiled, watch Dan King break it down.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Magnus's favorite player from the past?

https://mobile.twitter.com/olimpiuurcan/status/1063138642313375744

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'M Guramishvilli on chess24:

"...uh...what just happened?"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Drawish

But tricky.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dan King explains the forced Checkmate.

It's pretty inhuman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_gFvpt33E

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Things aren't happening in a really tense way.

It's probably a draw.

Probably.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Keep playing you cowards!

Edit: :argh:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Carlsen is deffo doing that thing where he sometimes takes dumb chances in some sort of mental game

I call that the Carlsen effect where Magnus can take big gambles because 1)he's Magnus Carlsen and can probably play accurately enough to last until his opponent mis-plays his advantage and 2)his opponent knows they're playing Magnus Carlsen and will often scare themself into playing right into Magnus's hands.

I thought Caruana wouldn't be affected by this since he's a really good analytical player and their ratings are so close Carlsen shouldn't appear that big of a monster.

I also can't help but feel if the final position were reversed, Carlsen would have played until either the extra pawn was well and truly stopped or he was forced to take the rooks off the board.

It's been a really long tournament for both players though, so the actual situation over the board probably seems a lot different for both players than a couple weeks ago.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Everytime the play goes back to Caruana I'm reminded of Finegold's line that if you spend more than 20 minutes on a move, you aren't finding the best move.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Flayer posted:

White's King looks vaguely vulnerable, I hope something happens...

If this goes to an armageddon match after halving every game this world championship will undoubtedly go down as the worst ever. It definitely lowers the status of the champion.

There's 10 ratings poits between them. There's no reason either shouldn't be world champion.

FIDE should probably continue thinking about how they set up WCC Tournaments in a post computer analysis world. No idea what to chamge though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I know a lot of people get upset with making the world champion play into the match, but maybe do that?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yep 2 will enter one will leave. That's the point of Armageddon.

Then the other will leave a little while later, after being declared champion.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

13 games. challenger gets white 8 times. three games then a day break with last game on it's own. Tie goes to defender.

No rapid, blitz, or Armageddon, we have a tournament for that.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

From the chess24 broadcast:

After Carlsen runs down to 5:00
Giri Surely you don't get excited because you have 5:00 left
Grishuk No, but I get excited when my opponent has 5:00 left

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

How long between games?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I see your point. Yeah, maybe. I honestly don't know what's up with that, if it's general fatigue or if he's slowing down or is prepping wrong.

Even slow Carlsen is pretty scary though.

I think personal stuff is slowing Carlsen down. He needs to do his fashion and corporate stuff, but it's also a distraction.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Teddybear posted:

Hou Yifan on Chess.com made me think-- has a woman ever challenged for the championship?

I think FIDE needs to be careful with this. Better to invite women into open slots on sub-tournaments, hoping one earns her way into the candidates, and working with national chess groups to maximise resources for interested girls. But get visibility on women competing with men as equals to show girls that this is a world they might want to be part of. Then it's just wait for the right woman to come along.

Hou Yifan's last big tournament was pretty hard on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anias posted:

I think I'd rather see something like draw odds to the challenger with an unequal number of whites starting in the champion's favor and a sliding adjustment towards the challenger for every time the champion defends.

IDK.

I mean they change the format and timing rules for the WCC match all the time, so they can just make it a Draw goes to defender Challenger has advantage in number of white games and change it back when Carlsen isn't World Champ any more.

or something

• Locked thread