Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Weird that Carlsen didn't win yesterday. I'm watching Finegold cover it today because I found the chess.com guys yesterday to be solid but kinda boring and I unironically love watching Finegold make the same five jokes over and over again in the most sarcastic voice imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Teddybear posted:

I like to pop in during the WCC and pretend that I know chess at all. From what I've seen from commentary, it looks like Carlsen is steering them towards another draw with those last couple moves?

My understanding is it's a drawn position but Carlsen likes to keep playing drawn positions to see if he can eke out a marginal advantage and go for the win.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They called it, draw confirmed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Have there been any real, highlight "wow!" moments so far?

Carlsen was really dominant for like the first 30 moves in game 1 and that was a wow moment but then he decided to draw instead of winning and since then it's been pretty careful and even.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm watching Finegold on Twitch right now so :shrug:

https://www.twitch.tv/gmbenjaminfinegold

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If he does, he decided not to show it. Draw agreed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I have a feeling Carlsen might try something when he has white twice in a row for games 6 and 7, because I think he will want to have an advantage by game 12 since if they're tied at 5.5-5.5 and Fabi has the white pieces in the last game who knows what could happen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Stockfish is freaking out

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

People in the chess24 chat are claiming that there was a win for black at move 67, but black missed it. Seems very, uh, theoretical.

Stockfish announced mate in 30 after Carlsen played Kg6 and then I guess Caruana didn't do whatever Stockfish wanted because then it switched to mate in 63 and then it went back to slight advantage for black.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you can't calculate forced mate in 63, can you even call yourself a super GM?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Caruana is playing like he's confident he can out-prepare Carlsen but not at all confident that he can outplay him over the board, so once Carlsen refutes his preparation and he has to think for himself he's happy to settle for a draw and hope to get a big enough preparation advantage for a win next time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't understand that narrative at all. If Carlsen was that much better, it wouldn't be 5.5-5.5. Just decide this with a coinflip and save us all from the tedium.

The narrative comes from the fact that they're #1 and #2 in the world in standard time format but Carlsen is also #1 in the world in rapid and blitz while Caruana is #10 in rapid and #18 in blitz. Like Caruana is clearly still a good player in the fast time formats and maybe can even get an advantage in some fast games because of his insane preparation, but he just doesn't think as fast as Carlsen does so it's more likely that Carlsen would win once the game gets out of prep.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Caruana really trying to avoid the tiebreaks here

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That was really weird. I guess Carlsen couldn't see a way through despite clearly being better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just make them play forever until someone gets, I dunno, five wins but remove money from the prize pool for every game they play after the tenth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In case anyone's curious just how good Carlsen is at fast time controls, here's a video of him playing 30-second games in a 1-minute bullet tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEj4moaay0

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ben Finegold is the best chess person on the internet and while I agree his lectures are better than his streams, the hardest I ever saw him concentrate was in a stream where he was trying really hard to get 9 queens without accidentally checkmating his opponent.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Nb7 passive defence does not seem very optimistic, even if it holds for now.

Not played anyway, Fabi's made an inaccuracy here

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Carlsen's now down 5 minutes on time! :eyepop:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Carlsen wins, finally shows his legendary endgame skills. Finegold was confused the whole time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

How so? I mean I'm very impressed with Caruana so far. And Carlsen, I mean... He's pretty scary to play against.

He's seemed really out of sorts for a lot of the match, not playing the way he would have three or four years ago.

e: Carlsen I mean

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I feel like 2014 Carlsen would've been around +4 with the way things have gone.

Yeah, really hard to predict for the whole match because 2014 Carlsen almost certainly would have won the first game and who knows how the match would have gone after that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Caruana seems to have blundered again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Caruana let time run down and then resigned.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The rapids are really exposing how once Caruana gets out of his insane engine prep he's simply not as good as Carlsen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

A lot of people have been expecting exactly this scenario though.

It's one of the main defences I've heard for Carlsen offering remis in the 12th game, that there was no benefit to risking it all in the last game against a very strong opponent over just playing to his strenghts like what's happening now.

Yeah I'd say that was pretty apparent in hindsight given the comment he made in the press conference after game 12 along the lines of "we play to the rules they give us, if they give us different rules we'll play differently". If he's this much better at rapid, which he clearly is, there's no reason not to play for 12 draws and then destroy Caruana in three hours afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ding Liren is good and not boring. If you check out the game where he finally lost to MVL, he plays like a crazy person instead of like someone who's trying not to lose so he can keep his streak going.

• Locked thread