Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My stupid newsfeed keeps spoiling the game results for me in the headlines. I just want to wait and find out what happens in the agadmator videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

It looked like he was completely unprepared for Rd8.
https://mobile.twitter.com/olimpiuurcan/status/1061296891109924864

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I think Carlsen is content with draws for now because he'd be happy to go to the rapid/blitz tiebreakers, and Caruana is happy with draws for now because his strategy is probably to go for a single win in one of the late games. No point in him waking the sleeping dragon yet. I predict more boring games for a while, and then Caruana goes for something new and risky he's prepared around game 9.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Teddybear posted:

This is Caruana's last chance, right? If this goes to the tiebreakers, he can't keep up with Carlsen in the shorter time controls.
He stands a decent shot in the four-match rapid games, but he's at a distinct disadvantage if it goes to blitz, because Carlsen is just a much stronger blitz player. Caruana's best shot was this final classical game, but he's out of prep right now with no advantage, so it's most likely going to a draw or loss for him. Smart money is on Carlsen, but it's more like 2:1 odds rather than 10:1 or whatever like you'll see in most online commentary.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Svidler and Grischuk and Giri annoy me when they go on and on about lines that start with moves that already weren't played by Carlsen/Caruana. They're sometimes three or four moves behind the actual game by the time they play out their scenario that absolutely won't be played because something else is already going on.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

T-Bone posted:

hasn't ding liren been drawing for an entire loving year
He's on a 96 game unbeaten streak, with 28 wins and 68 draws. That's not an unusual amount of draws for high-level play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Flayer posted:

If Caruana can't beat a subdued Carlsen once in 12 classical games then who's got a chance of taking the world championship off him? Nobody is on his level in fast games.
The passage of time will do him in. He's already not playing at the level he was three or four years ago.

• Locked thread