Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jose posted:

Fulhams goal looked onside

It was a real close call either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

It was a real close call either way.

Closer than Mane's goal that was ruled out last week but he was clearly on. Looking forward to Fulham v Arsenal where Things Will Even Out.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

If only referees had some sort of assistance with videos... oh wait most of the league voted against it because they're dumb fucks who believe that "it all evens out".

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

VAR is poo poo

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Sphyre posted:

VAR is poo poo

Why?

edit: also NBC just showed a replay which shows that Mitrovic definitely was offside.

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 11, 2018

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Because if there was VAR they would've stopped the game to check the call, which was 100% correct by the way, and the quick pass from Alisson never would've happened.

there's always going to be ref controversy with or without VAR, better the game isn't shitted up with pointless interruptions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol that the free kick from Allison should have been retaken

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Sphyre posted:

Because if there was VAR they would've stopped the game to check the call, which was 100% correct by the way, and the quick pass from Alisson never would've happened.

there's always going to be ref controversy with or without VAR, better the game isn't shitted up with pointless interruptions

I'd like the refs to be able to check the call was correct. In this case it was - but you couldn't clearly tell that with the naked eye. Last week we were robbed because the ref couldn't check the offside.

Why don't you want the refs to have the best information available?

Comlink
Nov 21, 2006

Oh yes, yes, yes.... that's BANG on the money!
get hosed mark “sparky” hughes

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

NBC half time is plastics.txt and I'm loving it

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Looks good :jerry:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

EvilHawk posted:

because it interrupts the game. in this case the interruption would have ruined the best moment of the game so far. said interruptions also do not eliminate refereeing controversy. this was all in my last post!!!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

EvilHawk posted:

I'd like the refs to be able to check the call was correct. In this case it was - but you couldn't clearly tell that with the naked eye. Last week we were robbed because the ref couldn't check the offside.

if it's a not clear and obvious mistake then it doesnt get referred to var anyway!!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fulham are really bad at defending

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jose posted:

Fulham are really bad at defending

they really are

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

ShAQQQQQ

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:greencube:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

thassa really nice finish

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Shaqiri is our best player atm

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Oh wow. gently caress yeah shaqiriiiii

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It’s hip to be square.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

c0burn posted:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Love me some Shaq

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Sphyre posted:

because it interrupts the game. in this case the interruption would have ruined the best moment of the game so far. said interruptions also do not eliminate refereeing controversy. this was all in my last post!!!

Personally I'd prefer that refs make the correct decisions (even if they did originally, being able to confirm that) so that games and seasons and titles aren't decided on a referee being fat, slow, or blind. Even if that slows down the games a little.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Xabi posted:

It’s hip to be square.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

that could have been red for chambers

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

But seriously, how long had you been waiting to post that, Xabi?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

For example, VAR could have correctly changed that foul to a red card.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

EvilHawk posted:

For example, VAR could have correctly changed that foul to a red card.

or it could have allowed the ref to review it and confirm that he did indeed deem it worthy of a yellow. thats the joy of var

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Bogan Krkic posted:

or it could have allowed the ref to review it and confirm that he did indeed deem it worthy of a yellow. thats the joy of var

Which is fine! I'm just tired of refs consistently getting calls wrong and the league doing absolutely nothing to help them despite having the technology available.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Pogba is injured apparently
RIP

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

var can help refs, but it cant make a bad ref a good one, and it can't change a refs opinion on the same event. also it sucks and takes too long

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

EvilHawk posted:

Which is fine! I'm just tired of refs consistently getting calls wrong and the league doing absolutely nothing to help them despite having the technology available.

the point is that giving a red for that wouldnt be wrong, and giving a yellow also isnt wrong. many calls are subjective and var does nothing to help in that case, it just slows down the game and makes it more boring

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Bogan Krkic posted:

var can help refs, but it cant make a bad ref a good one, and it can't change a refs opinion on the same event. also it sucks and takes too long

The only tournament I've properly watched with VAR is the World Cup and I didn't think it necessarily took too long, and it certainly wasn't as bad as the ridiculous timewasting that goes on in every game.

This feeds into the whole other discussion about how to deal with added time, should the game be shortened and the clock stopped instead etc.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

c0burn posted:

VVD needs to be made captain so Hendo isn't guaranteed his starting spot and Shaq can start every game.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
they were pretty square on goal, wrong player took it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

EvilHawk posted:

The only tournament I've properly watched with VAR is the World Cup and I didn't think it necessarily took too long, and it certainly wasn't as bad as the ridiculous timewasting that goes on in every game.

This feeds into the whole other discussion about how to deal with added time, should the game be shortened and the clock stopped instead etc.

i watch the a-league which has had var for a couple of seasons, and it absolutely sucks, and they've admitted that at least two var decisions this season were still wrong after var. it absolutely can help, but it doesn't make refs magically good and when it goes wrong, its so very much worse.

either way im sure that var will inevitibly be implemented in the pl and it won't make things any less controversial but people will shut up about wanting it at least

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

greazeball posted:

VVD needs to be made captain so Hendo isn't guaranteed his starting spot and Shaq can start every game.

We've been pretty poo poo since Henderson got injured, and also him starting isn't the thing that stops Shaqiri also starting so this is a weird take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fulham should probably have started their £30m midfielder instead of waiting to be losing 2-0

• Locked thread