Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Bogan Krkic posted:

the point is that giving a red for that wouldnt be wrong, and giving a yellow also isnt wrong. many calls are subjective and var does nothing to help in that case, it just slows down the game and makes it more boring

not to mention the hundreds of calls that are made in a game that can't possibly be reviewed because it takes too long. is it just physical play or a foul? was that a goal kick or a corner? etc, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jose posted:

Fulham should probably have started their £30m midfielder instead of waiting to be losing 2-0

they did, but i assume you mean the other one who is slightly less bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bogan Krkic posted:

they did, but i assume you mean the other one who is slightly less bad

Who was the other midfielder they paid that much for?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Sphyre posted:

not to mention the hundreds of calls that are made in a game that can't possibly be reviewed because it takes too long. is it just physical play or a foul? was that a goal kick or a corner? etc, etc.

Fulhams “goal” looked so offside at the time, it never would have been reviewed

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jose posted:

Who was the other midfielder they paid that much for?

Franck Andre Zambo Anguissa, who i think actually cost more than Seri?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bogan Krkic posted:

Franck Andre Zambo Anguissa, who i think actually cost more than Seri?

Maybe they should have spent some of that £100m on defenders who aren't poo poo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

imagine spending one hundred million pounds and your best defender being callum chambers lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Sphyre posted:

This is a fallacy though, because VAR has (in other competitions at least) rules about when it can be used - usually for penalties, goals, red cards. They're not going to start trotting it out for every throw in.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Bogan Krkic posted:

imagine spending one hundred million pounds and your best defender being callum chambers lol

you could get 6.66 mamadou sakhos for that money

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

EvilHawk posted:

This is a fallacy though, because VAR has (in other competitions at least) rules about when it can be used - usually for penalties, goals, red cards. They're not going to start trotting it out for every throw in.

they won't, but what if a goal is scored from that free kick that wasn't a foul? or from the corner that should have been a goal kick? what if a player got a yellow that should have been red, and then scores the winner? surely var would improve the game if used in those circumstances too?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Bogan Krkic posted:

they won't, but what if a goal is scored from that free kick that wasn't a foul? or from the corner that should have been a goal kick? what if a player got a yellow that should have been red, and then scores the winner? surely var would improve the game if used in those circumstances too?

I've used this slippery slope argument before. There has to be a cap on what VAR can review for sure.

I'm not in any way arguing that it's current implementation is perfect nor that it would make every game 100% fair.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's funny to me that VAR has been introduced everywhere to great acclaim except in the premier league because the british are literally retarded lol

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

EvilHawk posted:

I've used this slippery slope argument before. There has to be a cap on what VAR can review for sure.

I'm not in any way arguing that it's current implementation is perfect nor that it would make every game 100% fair.

i just would prefer that cap to be nothing, but its ok and i accept that im fighting against the tide. its not bad enough that i dont like to watch football with it, so once it's widespread enough i'll just forget about it and so will everyone else that didn't want it, much like im sure it was when we invented the backpass rule or whatever other changes have happened

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

oliwan posted:

It's funny to me that VAR has been introduced everywhere to great acclaim except in the premier league because the british are literally retarded lol

its not widely popular in australia either but we're all idiots who can't play football properly anyway

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Bogan Krkic posted:

i just would prefer that cap to be nothing, but its ok and i accept that im fighting against the tide. its not bad enough that i dont like to watch football with it, so once it's widespread enough i'll just forget about it and so will everyone else that didn't want it, much like im sure it was when we invented the backpass rule or whatever other changes have happened

That's cool and I get that not everyone will be happy with it. I just don't understand the mindset of people who say "well it won't fix everything so what's the point" or "it'll take refs 30 seconds longer to check a replay, and that will be the death of football".

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

EvilHawk posted:

That's cool and I get that not everyone will be happy with it. I just don't understand the mindset of people who say "well it won't fix everything so what's the point" or "it'll take refs 30 seconds longer to check a replay, and that will be the death of football".

i just find it much more frustrating when you have var, and a game changing event happens (goal scored from an incorrectly awarded free kick etc) and isn't reviewed, or is reviewed incorrectly, than if var just wasn't there

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There have been some issues with implementation of VAR in the various leagues, bit that is to be expected since it's the first year of using it. Overall it has been a massive success and has made games fairer, less frustrating and frankly more fun to watch as players have largely stopped constantly whining and accosting refs. The British see this development and say no thanks lol

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

oliwan posted:

There have been some issues with implementation of VAR in the various leagues, bit that is to be expected since it's the first year of using it. Overall it has been a massive success and has made games fairer, less frustrating and frankly more fun to watch as players have largely stopped constantly whining and accosting refs. The British see this development and say no thanks lol

i mean, i've been watching my team play for 2 seasons with var, won a title due to a var fuckup, and i still don't agree with anything you've said here, but go off i guess

as with anything in football its all down to implementation and interpretation, and isn't universally better or worse

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Cool

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

libpool libpool top of the league :toot:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
*charlie austin voice* free points

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

liverpool are good to watch and i would really like them to win the title tbh

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Er, let's not use Australia as an example for anything in football except for blooper reels

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

come on you Toffees and also you Red Devils

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

greazeball posted:

But seriously, how long had you been waiting to post that, Xabi?
Months, baby!

2 easy.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I hope Everton and Manchester United win, but I’m sure that will not happen.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

thats never a foul, let alone a card

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I’ve reviewed the var and concluded that these are 2 bad teams

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

have chelsea been this 'physical' all season?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

var var var var var

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lmao bernard owns

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Bogan Krkic posted:

var var var var var

https://twitter.com/dixies60/status/1061635758849703939?s=21

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

On the long angle Bernard does definitely go to headbutt Rudiger, but nowhere near enough to send him going down like that

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
This match and Kevin Friend are poo poo.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Premier league refereeing is a joke

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

EvilHawk posted:

On the long angle Bernard does definitely go to headbutt Rudiger, but nowhere near enough to send him going down like that

Here’s a better angle

https://twitter.com/finkitch/status/1061636686566830080?s=21

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sticksy posted:

This match and Kevin Friend are poo poo.

more like Kevin Enemy, haha

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Bogan Krkic posted:

more like Kevin Enemy, haha

lol

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Friend!
Kevin Friend!