Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dear Santa and assorted goons,

For the fourth year in a row, I have somehow managed to be a decent alleged-human-being thus I deserve strangers buying me stuff, right?

Gift Preferences
I'm playing more and more board games, as my girlfriend is far more a board gamer. Two-player is good, so we don't need to grab other human beings to have fun. Games we love include Star Realms, Among the Stars, Netrunner, Serengeti, 7 Wonders Duel, and Terraforming Mars. I've been eyeing up (but haven't yet tried) T.I.M.E. Stories, and we've enjoyed the one Exit escape-room style game we played (the Abandoned Cabin one).

Scifi stuff in general is also good, as are art books; the Deus Ex, Mass Effect, and Dishonored art books have provided a shitload of inspiration for me. I'm also a big Transformers and Gundam nerd, and build anime robots (gunpla etc). I'll go for general nerd kitsch stuff, but my place is tiny and I don't have much free space.

I love RPGs but have just lost my weekly gaming group due to me joining a band that rehearses when we used to game, so they're a bit less of a draw for me this year. For RPGs, go as weird and obscure as your can. To give you an idea of what I think is weird & obscure, I still have my copies of Everway, Eoris, and Mechanical Dream; previous Santas have included Nexus: The Infinite City, both editions of Ninja Burger, and Magicians. If you've published your own games or have a friend who makes weird small-press games, brilliant!

I don't play wargames or use miniatures (one of the reasons I love gunpla is not needing to paint anything), I worked for White Wolf/Onyx Path so have everything I want from them, and I'm outright allergic to anything D&D/D20/OSR related.

:scotland:

Solemn Vow
I ain't hosed up yet, if I do this year may the Formless Ones have mercy on my soul because I know Santa sure won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cheer has been deployed!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm pleased to report that my gift has been received! I will hold off on opening it until Christmas day, however. Can't wait to find out what it is!

Woohoo! I realised only after placing it that I didn't own up to sending you the gift, so this is me revealing myself (ooo err) as your Santa :v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

A package arrived, and was quickly seized upon by officers Sinister and Dexter of the Feline Postal Inspectorate.

Something tells me it might be from my Santa. Can't think what...

While the kittens enjoyed their present of paper

I got two beautifully wrapped presents.

Because I have no patience, I tore into them, and found...

Wow! The two-player Agricola, and the Gundam Unicorn mechanic file. I am so goddamn happy, these are amazing gifts and getting them after a lovely week has brightened everything up. Thank you so much, Goon Santa!

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 8, 2018

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

So.. today was not a good day. Today was the grinch of days. And it was almost over, so when I woke up to take another pain pill at 9:20 PM, there was nothing that could make this day a good one.

I was wrong.

There was a package at my door. What could be inside?

Oh my, They really went all out on the packaging. We're talking about multiple layers of wrapping here. And what's inside?

(needle scratch, jawdrop, jackpot game show sounds)

Holy poo poo, TGSS, you made me a goddamned liar. Today was great. I'm going to use all of this stuff (whoever you are, you must have caught that I'm a L5R LCG player from my posting history, because the tokens were a great surprise!)

So in short, thank you. You redeemed a lovely painful day. And you really have a future as a professional gift wrapper ;)

I had nothing to do with this Santa, I just want to say how stoked I am to see one of my indie games being gifted. I hope you enjoy! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I wasn't expecting anything more (until Leperflesh pointed it out), but I got a While You Were Out card and made the trek to the Royal Mail delivery office. And so, a package arrived!

Package Inspector Sinister (image blurred for his security) took an interest...

But what's inside? A hand-drawn mech on the cover? This looks like it might be fun...

It is a hand-written, bespoke gamebook. This is loving amazing!! I absolutely adore it! Thank you so much, Santa. You're a scholar and a gentle person and you have made my Christmas after a week around my family.