Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

To the wretched Original Poster, you are a tyrant and a vile tadpole!
We will no longer stand idly by as you consign good DLC to the bottom
of the barrel. The time has come for you to give The Reaper's Due more
credit! Submit to this demand peacefully or face the consequences! Rest
assured that I have gathered others who are equally upset...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Conclave is one of the best DLCs in my opinion because it makes your council actually something interesting and important.

I think opinions on Conclave were split depending on if people liked to start as a king/emperor or a count, as well as if you try to roleplay at all or if you try to gamify it and just expand. If you're working your way up from the bottom, there's all sorts of shenanigans you can get up to by getting on your lieges council and calling in favors and such, and all sorts of interesting story drama to be had by giving you more consideration for who to put on your council than just stats.

If you're already at the top, though, the council becomes an irritant to your rule that tries to block you at every turn, making it more difficult to declare wars and act tyrannical, as well as sticking a negative modifier on all the vassals you can't find room for.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I'm glad I started the "Reapers Due is a good DLC" faction.

Bakanogami posted:

I think opinions on Conclave were split depending on if people liked to start as a king/emperor or a count, as well as if you try to roleplay at all or if you try to gamify it and just expand. If you're working your way up from the bottom, there's all sorts of shenanigans you can get up to by getting on your lieges council and calling in favors and such, and all sorts of interesting story drama to be had by giving you more consideration for who to put on your council than just stats.

If you're already at the top, though, the council becomes an irritant to your rule that tries to block you at every turn, making it more difficult to declare wars and act tyrannical, as well as sticking a negative modifier on all the vassals you can't find room for.

Shattered Retreats and Defensive Pacts both hit in the Conclave patch, which people hated and gave the DLC at bad name.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MaxieSatan posted:

I think that might have to do with either a new ruler's short reign penalty or an active regency, but don't quote me on that.

Short reign has never been an issue for me, not sure about regency. It's also entirely possible one of the council members initated a vote to un-empower the council or something equally silly

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I am hella PEEVED posted:

I'm glad I started the "Reapers Due is a good DLC" faction.

Shattered Retreats and Defensive Pacts both hit in the Conclave patch, which people hated and gave the DLC at bad name.

Oh right, I forgot that was when those hit. Shattered retreats are kinda irritating at times but whatever, you can turn them off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bakanogami posted:

Oh right, I forgot that was when those hit. Shattered retreats are kinda irritating at times but whatever, you can turn them off.

I honestly find them less irritating than chasing an army back and forth between two provinces for 30 minutes

Besides, having some army shatter halfway across the continent and not make it back before I siege their capital is great

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

i forgot how painful new patch let's plays can be, as new events happen and the hapless youtuber flails around for five minutes attempting to explain why it happened, only to get it completely wrong

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tercio posted:

i forgot how painful new patch let's plays can be, as new events happen and the hapless youtuber flails around for five minutes attempting to explain why it happened, only to get it completely wrong

Yeah I can't watch youtube LPs of Paradox games because of this. It is amazing that they have poured so many hours into these games yet somehow still don't understand how they work.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

so which portrait graphics will hungarians use come holy fury?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mongolian. As they always should've.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mongolian. As they always should've.

:classiclol:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's called HUN-gary isn't it?!?

Sorry I've been reading the Paradox forums too much. Next thing I know I'll write a 30k word post about how the game fails to fully model the glorious empire of Jutland, the true heirs to Rome.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I can't watch youtube LPs of Paradox games because of this. It is amazing that they have poured so many hours into these games yet somehow still don't understand how they work.

Stuff like that is why I can't watch Arumba anymore. He jutters around at lightspeed and jams through event popups, and then is confused as to why a thing happened. It's unbearable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sometimes I have to tell myself these youtubers/streamers are intentionally missing the obvious because it gets their viewers more involved. But usually I realize, that no, they're really just idiots.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be fair, I think part of it is that you aren't really giving the game your full attention when you're streaming, because you're also trying to entertain an audience and that's going to be distracting even if you can't actually SEE your audience. You probably don't want to actually stop and read a popup when you know people are there watching you.

Although it's not like every YouTube LP is just a livestream recording. So like... you can just read the popup and edit it down if it feels too long.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ShootaBoy posted:

Stuff like that is why I can't watch Arumba anymore. He jutters around at lightspeed and jams through event popups, and then is confused as to why a thing happened. It's unbearable.

It wouldn't bother me so much in Arumba's case if he didn't whine so long after the fact about how he doesn't understand what happened, or take a 5 minute detour talking about how he'd go tell Wiz to fix his game.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Re: Horse Lords as pure faction unlock: That's not strictly true. If you don't have this DLC, nomads have tribal government instead of nomadic government, which has a noticeable effect on the world even if you're not a nomad yourself.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I guess I have no choice...

Edit: I would still appreciate help with the mods section. I'm currently browsing the workshop, but a lot of them don't look significant enough to merit inclusion in the OP. I'll start with adding the usual suspects (Game of Thrones, CK2+) from the previous OP, let me know if I'm missing anything big.

It doesn't help that I still don't have a Paradox forum account.

Edit2: Is the Game of Thrones mod even on the workshop??

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 12, 2018

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Maybe but reapers due in good dlcs rather than faction unlock

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rumda posted:

Maybe but reapers due in good dlcs rather than faction unlock

gently caress :eng99:

Maintaining an OP is harder than I thought!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The OP also (technically correctly) says you need Old Gods to play pagans, not mentioning that pagans will be unlocked for everyone in tomorrow's patch.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

They're unlocked by Holy Fury, not the free patch.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Here are a couple of UI mods that I've used in the past. They're all likely to explode due to the UI changes in Holy Fury, so I wouldn't use these on day 1.

The patch notes mentioned UI scaling for 4k monitors so these might not be as helpful as before, but in case it doesn't work, here are a couple of mods that expand the size of the interface so you don't need to scroll all the time.
Bigger Interface for 1080p resolutions
Somewhat Bigger Interface for 1600x900.

Century Gothic Fonts a collection of mods that change the various fonts in the game to Century Gothic, which is what Stellaris uses. I used the Tooltip font for a while and appreciated that it was a little bit larger and more easily readable. This is probably the only mod that will work on day 1 of Holy Fury.

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum a complete UI overhaul that gives the map more of an atlas feel.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Updated the OP with mods, please tell me if I did anything wrong.

I've long wanted to play Thedas Kings, does anybody have any experiences with the Dragon Age mod? Of course, the immediate future belongs to the new cool things you can do in Holy Fury, but I wouldn't mind trying something else. I had a lot of fun with Elder Kings the last time I played that.

Edit: We also need a new picture of the physical map once Holy Fury releases. The current picture is from a time before they added Mali to the game :(

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 12, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The HRE marches on

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

The HRE marches on

Get your heir a claim on the Byzantine Empire and then conquer it once your current ruler dies.

Also, it seems the Mongols have stopped expanding for now. Lucky you!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Torrannor posted:

I guess I have no choice...

Edit: I would still appreciate help with the mods section. I'm currently browsing the workshop, but a lot of them don't look significant enough to merit inclusion in the OP. I'll start with adding the usual suspects (Game of Thrones, CK2+) from the previous OP, let me know if I'm missing anything big.

It doesn't help that I still don't have a Paradox forum account.

Edit2: Is the Game of Thrones mod even on the workshop??

I just discovered the Elder Scrolls total conversion mod and it looks pretty good but I'm still gonna wait to cause some Honky Fury with an Africa run tomorrow

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

baw posted:

I just discovered the Elder Scrolls total conversion mod and it looks pretty good but I'm still gonna wait to cause some Honky Fury with an Africa run tomorrow

One of the achievements is to have one of your provinces under the influence of a successful Rain Dance. I'm most likely starting in Africa, too. I'm really itching to revive Hellenism, but reforming the Roman Empire usually takes quite a bit of time, and with the map changes in Africa, I think it will be a lot quicker to reform African paganism and check out all the cool new features that Holy Fury gives them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

aren't the african holy sites terrible though? if you want a relatively quick path to reformation, I think romuva might be the best choice. riga is an awesome primary duchy too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jfood posted:

aren't the african holy sites terrible though? if you want a relatively quick path to reformation, I think romuva might be the best choice. riga is an awesome primary duchy too.

They were terrible. No longer!

Only one holy site is in core Muslim territory, the rest are easily accessible for African pagans.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Beamed posted:

It wouldn't bother me so much in Arumba's case if he didn't whine so long after the fact about how he doesn't understand what happened, or take a 5 minute detour talking about how he'd go tell Wiz to fix his game.

Arumba is actually the worst case of this. Arumba, like most youtubers, misses poo poo because he doesn't bother to actually ingest anything he reads. Arumba however has the added benefit of thinking he's smarter than the base design anyway, so if he doesn't understand something it's because the stupid designers surely hosed it up and he would do it better given the chance.

Then, if he does really figure it out, he never learns his lesson and the pattern endlessly repeats.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Tercio posted:

Arumba is actually the worst case of this. Arumba, like most youtubers, misses poo poo because he doesn't bother to actually ingest anything he reads. Arumba however has the added benefit of thinking he's smarter than the base design anyway, so if he doesn't understand something it's because the stupid designers surely hosed it up and he would do it better given the chance.

Then, if he does really figure it out, he never learns his lesson and the pattern endlessly repeats.

I used to watch Arumba's LPs when Factorio was just released and he was being amusingly incompetent at it, but for the last year or two he's just sounding like he increasingly hates his job and can't find a way out. I can't imagine "plays groggy games for the internet" having that many transferable skills, especially when you refuse to do any video editing.

E: I think he is genuinely good at paradoxing, for all his constant kvetching and misreads. He just sounds like he's miserable whenever he plays yet another campaign, all the while being 100% financially dependent on constantly playing yet another campaign.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 12, 2018

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

to be honest i think "miserable and sighing" is just arumba's style

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The curse of the streamer is to realize too late that the job isn’t “I get to play video games for a living”, it’s “I have to play video games for a living”

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The curse of the streamer is to realize too late that the job isn’t “I get to play video games for a living”, it’s “I have to play video games for a living”

Along with be consistently entertaining, be good or at least amusing at whatever you're playing, video editing, keeping a consistent schedule, etc etc

Being successful at streaming/YouTubing to the degree that you can live on it is as much a job as any other, if not more so.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xerophyte posted:

I used to watch Arumba's LPs when Factorio was just released and he was being amusingly incompetent at it, but for the last year or two he's just sounding like he increasingly hates his job and can't find a way out. I can't imagine "plays groggy games for the internet" having that many transferable skills, especially when you refuse to do any video editing.

E: I think he is genuinely good at paradoxing, for all his constant kvetching and misreads. He just sounds like he's miserable whenever he plays yet another campaign, all the while being 100% financially dependent on constantly playing yet another campaign.

I think I remember him mentioning in one of his videos recently that his wife left him, so I guess I can sympathize a bit with him feeling miserable but having to replay the same games for the hundredth time to support himself.

Are there any other good CK2 LPers? I don't mind Arumba personally but he's usually a bit more focused towards EU4.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

be the ck2 lp'er you want to see in the world, just don't put it on the internet cuz that poo poo is worse than cancer.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Also make it a text- and screenshot-based LP, because -- shocker -- this text, chart, and map-based game does not lend itself well to video at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Also make it a text- and screenshot-based LP, because -- shocker -- this text, chart, and map-based game does not lend itself well to video at all.

I started working on one many years ago (EU3 heydey), and then realized that it was an enormous amount of work, and very few people were going to want to read a text/screenshot LP of me loving around with Kanem Bornu.