Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's been a bit since I've been waiting for a CK2 DLC launch, do they turn on at midnight or at 12 pm Valve time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm gonna retire my Wessex / Brittania Empire game. It's the longest game I've played (Charlemagne start to 1200) and had some pretty neat stuff happen.

Germanic Saxony not only held off against Charles, they became the dominant power in Europe. Most of the Northern coastal Frankish counties as well as chunks of England and Ireland fell to Saxony, and almost all of Eastern Europe.

Catholic MA was down to 6% at one point. Rome fell very early to Abbasids as they did their conquest of southern Italy / Sicily. Rome was the third Crusade target.

The Miaphysite Abyssinian Empire is one of the great powers of the world, holding East Africa, Egypt, and Persia.

The Byzantine Empire expanded all the way to the North East corner of the map. When the Mongols spawned, the Byzantine Empire chumped them.

Tibet expanded aggressively westward. Stuck between the Byzantine Empire, Abyssinia, and Tibet, the Abbasids were completely wiped out.

Nearly everybody is chaste. It's no exaggeration to say that easily 85% of characters within range at times would have this trait. Thanks to this, there have been multiple times where my dynasty is hanging on by a thread, with only a few surviving members left.

I survived the black death. I had no heirs when the plague struck, and as soon as I shut the gates my physician died. Then I got the note that I and my wife were sick. I was expecting the game to end, but I tried to recruit a new physician. A drunk, one-eyed, one-handed Russian genius showed up. He handily cured me and my wife without chopping anything off. My wife eventually had a child, and the game went on.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

1stGear posted:

It's been a bit since I've been waiting for a CK2 DLC launch, do they turn on at midnight or at 12 pm Valve time?

About 3PM CET, I think.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

1stGear posted:

i just looked on steam and it said it'll be released in '23 hours' of this post

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

i just looked on steam and it said it'll be released in '23 hours' of this post

Sounds about right, since it should be about 9 or 10am Pacific on the 13th.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It will be about 10 AM Eastern US time, Paradox always has a launch stream and releases it roughly halfway during that stream, after getting their whole dev team in there to celebrate.

They have buttons they can press to release it any time they want.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Sky Shadowing posted:

It will be about 10 AM Eastern US time, Paradox always has a launch stream and releases it roughly halfway during that stream, after getting their whole dev team in there to celebrate.

They have buttons they can press to release it any time they want.

tell them to press it now!!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Bakanogami posted:

Are there any other good CK2 LPers? I don't mind Arumba personally but he's usually a bit more focused towards EU4.

Quill is pretty good for the most part, although not particularly focused on CK2 either. He's doing a Holy Fury playthrough now which is his first in a while. Half his videos are from Twitch streams nowadays which I personally find a bit annoying, but he's personable, enthusiastic, generally competent and not that prone to blaming his tools.

There's definitely an audience full of nerds who would love nothing more than to read your Crusader Kings fan-fiction with screenshots over in LP, if previous paradoxlike thread and mega-LPs are anything to go by. I think that video LPs are still nice to have on in the background for something as low intensity as paradoxlikes, I wouldn't try to follow them intensely. I generally just run them at 2x while doing something else -- like writing this post -- and look over when the person talking sounds particularly excited, says Glitterhoof, etc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
MATN has a long running ck2 empire of Cromwell campaign going, but he can be frustrating in that a) it's his first game ever and mistakes are made and b) he's notoriously bad at noticing things

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

MATN has a long running ck2 empire of Cromwell campaign going, but he can be frustrating in that a) it's his first game ever and mistakes are made and b) he's notoriously bad at noticing things

The thing about let's plays is that the latter annoys me so much more than the former. I don't mind if they make dumb strategic decisions because it's more entertaining that way, especially in a game like CK2 where losing can be as interesting as winning so long as you don't get kicked right into a game over. What's frustrating is when they just cannot figure out how to do a thing that has a big button right on the main UI.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about let's plays is that the latter annoys me so much more than the former. I don't mind if they make dumb strategic decisions because it's more entertaining that way, especially in a game like CK2 where losing can be as interesting as winning so long as you don't get kicked right into a game over. What's frustrating is when they just cannot figure out how to do a thing that has a big button right on the main UI.

Less that he can't find how to do things, more like not paying attention to the chair icon on the top bar and wondering three years later why he does't have a steward

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Xerophyte posted:

Quill is pretty good for the most part

seconding this, though I can't speak for his ck2 stuff. if you're looking for someone with early access to games in the strategy genre, who isn't a completely insufferable shitbag, he's pretty much the only game in town.

dude is just so goddamn cheerful.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TBH I find Quill annoying, but I freely admit I have a very low tolerance for "youtuber personality".

Or has he settled down in the last couple years?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I finished my first complete game just in time for the patch, taking tutorial island to the heights of the nonsensically-laid-out Alba empire. Just about every one of those extant counties just sorta fell into my lap by accident and it kept happening all game; any time I actually tried to gain control something or other would get in the way. The end date caught me completely by surprise because I kept waiting for the mongol invasion to happen and it just... didn't. No idea what happened to those guys.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

TBH I find Quill annoying, but I freely admit I have a very low tolerance for "youtuber personality".

Or has he settled down in the last couple years?

he's still pretty much the same, for better or worse

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

These borders are violence

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the question with Holy Fury is what should I do first? pagan glory? crusading? pagan crusading?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the question with Holy Fury is what should I do first? pagan glory? crusading? pagan crusading?

Dogs and cats living together

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i feel like i'm gonna be one of the few boring people who goes for a christian nation first to see the new crusade stuff and since i haven't played in awhile

but i might switch over to some animal kingdom nonsense if it ends up sounding like there's a good chunk of content there

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll probably check out something in Africa first personally

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

I'll probably check out something in Africa first personally

Same. I want to check out the new trade routes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i hope with the 'absurd' game option that pet dog event chain we've all seen a billion times has a small chance of ending up that your dog can talk and becomes a full character

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll probably do a Welsh game. I'm a bit curious about the "- The titular Duchy title Powys is now only formable through a decision." patch note, but I doubt its anything too special.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like the only real impact of those titular title changes is that the game won’t keep nagging you about “hey! You can make a title right now (that doesn’t actually contain anything)!” but maybe I’m missing something.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Same. I want to check out the new trade routes.

I really want to see how much crazy money merchant republics can make now.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Probably Africa will be first here, I just hope it's not like tibet down there where every province has such low supply you're constantly microing your armies to avoid attrition.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Definitely gonna do some cool pagan stuff first.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

1stGear posted:

These borders are violence

Oh poo poo if you wanna see some violence pull up a seat buddy

This is 300 years of gameplay.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am irrationally upset that HF doesn't drop tonight and instead unlocks an hour after I have to be at work tomorrow morning. :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sydin posted:

I am irrationally upset that HF doesn't drop tonight and instead unlocks an hour after I have to be at work tomorrow morning. :negative:

Same :(:hf::( but c'mon, we can survive one more work shift!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

binge crotching posted:

I really want to see how much crazy money merchant republics can make now.

reformed pagan merchant republic that uses the MAD TRADE ROUTE MONEYS to go crusading?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm gonna looooove sniping lapsed exclaves and panicking about trying to keep my empire contiguous.

Brother Entropy posted:

i feel like i'm gonna be one of the few boring people who goes for a christian nation first to see the new crusade stuff and since i haven't played in awhile

but i might switch over to some animal kingdom nonsense if it ends up sounding like there's a good chunk of content there

There's a lot of options for christianity though. In the northeast you can convert pagans and holy war against them with new event chains, while down southwest you can play with the reconquista events.

And in the middle there's the HRE to play with coronation mechanics and muck with the Pope, or you can just play in Italy with its new mountain ranges and de jure kingdoms.

big dyke energy posted:

Oh poo poo if you wanna see some violence pull up a seat buddy

This is 300 years of gameplay.

Eh, I'd rather that than live in a world with nothin but red and brown. He managed to kill every blue and purple power.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think I might try a randomized map with full absurdity first. Just roll the dice.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Eh, I'd rather that than live in a world with nothin but red and brown. He managed to kill every blue and purple power.

Hey, I tried to help my blue buddies the swedes whenever I could but they went and got themselves conquered when I happened to be playing an rear end in a top hat.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm gonna retire my Wessex / Brittania Empire game. It's the longest game I've played (Charlemagne start to 1200) and had some pretty neat stuff happen.

Germanic Saxony not only held off against Charles, they became the dominant power in Europe. Most of the Northern coastal Frankish counties as well as chunks of England and Ireland fell to Saxony, and almost all of Eastern Europe.

Catholic MA was down to 6% at one point. Rome fell very early to Abbasids as they did their conquest of southern Italy / Sicily. Rome was the third Crusade target.

The Miaphysite Abyssinian Empire is one of the great powers of the world, holding East Africa, Egypt, and Persia.

The Byzantine Empire expanded all the way to the North East corner of the map. When the Mongols spawned, the Byzantine Empire chumped them.

Tibet expanded aggressively westward. Stuck between the Byzantine Empire, Abyssinia, and Tibet, the Abbasids were completely wiped out.

Nearly everybody is chaste. It's no exaggeration to say that easily 85% of characters within range at times would have this trait. Thanks to this, there have been multiple times where my dynasty is hanging on by a thread, with only a few surviving members left.

I survived the black death. I had no heirs when the plague struck, and as soon as I shut the gates my physician died. Then I got the note that I and my wife were sick. I was expecting the game to end, but I tried to recruit a new physician. A drunk, one-eyed, one-handed Russian genius showed up. He handily cured me and my wife without chopping anything off. My wife eventually had a child, and the game went on.

Can you post a map?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Arumba has a good let’s play of Meiou and Taxes because it’s so huge he absolutely HAD to stop and read and understand the game. He spends a lot of time going over province development and talks about his decisions at length, it’s enjoyable to watch.

At the opposite end of he spectrum he did a let’s play of Stellaris 2.0 and 30 minutes in he’s bitching about poo poo he doesn’t understand because it’s different from the previous version of the game and he didn’t read any of the patch notes.

As for Holy Fury I just pre ordered and I’m going to make my first game Norse ducks.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Hurrah, just got my Holy Fury preorder key, now to wait until 6pm CET for it to go live. :black101:

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I got the key too!

My first game will probably be a shattered world start in Africa, with Absurd game rule turned on of course.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Sitting at work waiting for the day to end so I can go home and play Holy Fury, this is going to be a long day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

AG3 posted:

Sitting at work waiting for the day to end so I can go home and play Holy Fury, this is going to be a long day.

read this while you wait
https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/public/404530/2018%2010_CK%20II_Holy%20Fury_Manual_EU.pdf