Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I haven't played this game in like a year or two but started seeing the "ruler challenges" updates on steam. Looks like it's a thing to unlock cosmetics in CK3? Have their been strategy writeups for any of them? I tried the Welsh one but forgot how to turn a tributary into a vassal and he got gobbled up by England.

I tried replaying it and got stupid lucky in the crusade for Egypt, taking home 4k gold and 3k prestige and then a year after getting home and spending it all on upgrades coming down with syphilis which rendered me incapable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I started a CK2 game a few days ago because I'm so darn excited for 3. Early game was a little bumpy trying to remember all the different systems, but I've got a good thing going now toward the end of the timeline. I'm at about 80% of the power of the HRE and the emperor has some kingdoms I want. What's the best way to go about destabilizing the HRE from the outside?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Torrannor posted:

You could send your chancellor to sow dissent between the most powerful vassal and the emperor, perhaps they will rebel and weaken the emperor in the process. Or if you're able to get him excommunicated, that would also greatly help by making all his vassals like the emperor less.

I've always been unclear on Chancellor placement for that - if I put him on the emperor's county, will he tank relations with the emperor's kings? If I put him on one of the kings, will he tank relations between the king and the emperor?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just started playing the game after wanting to try it out for years. I was a big fan of Medieval Total War back in the day and was a big fan of the diplomacy side of its campaign mode, even if it was bare-bones and frequently arbitrary, so this seemed like a good game for me.

After a few teething problems, I'm starting to really enjoy it now! I don't have any DLC yet, although people have told me that some of them are must-haves if I want to take things further. I've been reading through some of the tutorial LPs and other links, but if it's not frowned upon would it be okay to ask some questions about the base game here? Just to clear some minor things up without me searching for them again, because I have the lazy trait I gues.

Just as an aside though, is it me or is the tutorial kind of bad? It throws all sorts of things at you with little explanation and says that you can basically play as you want, but it also has a bunch of scripted events to fit its prompts, and these aren't necessarily easy to remember. I'm still confused by how you transport troops via ships. I'm glad I just decided to learn the game via playing it normally.

CK2 has a pretty high learning curve and the tutorial really only scratches the surface. I think the only way to really get a handle on it is to just keep playing. Once you start seeing how the laws interact and get a feel for whether you can win a war looking things up will become more useful.

Troops can board a fleet of ships as long as there's capacity for them. If the ship is docked in a county with a port the troops can freely board and disembark. If the ship is in a sea tile the troops have to spend a couple days swimming out to them. To disembark you can either dock the ship in a county's port, but only if you control it (either by right or by conquest, like during a war), or have the troops swim to shore from the sea tile. Note that recently disembarked troops start at 50% morale for gameplay balance reasons.

I don't remember the exact commands but there's some useful selection things you can do to only grab ships with a drag-select, I think by holding alt? Makes it easier to move a lot of small fleets together.