Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Reddit has a few good things for new players

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/1s70y7/tips_for_new_players_a_compendium/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/25w95c/the_oh_my_god_im_new_help_guide_for_beginners/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/search?q=title%3A%22tutorial+tuesday%22&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If they're truly empowered he can't change council members without a council vote. At that point it's just a whole lot of bribing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MaxieSatan posted:

I think that might have to do with either a new ruler's short reign penalty or an active regency, but don't quote me on that.

Short reign has never been an issue for me, not sure about regency. It's also entirely possible one of the council members initated a vote to un-empower the council or something equally silly

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bakanogami posted:

Oh right, I forgot that was when those hit. Shattered retreats are kinda irritating at times but whatever, you can turn them off.

I honestly find them less irritating than chasing an army back and forth between two provinces for 30 minutes

Besides, having some army shatter halfway across the continent and not make it back before I siege their capital is great

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
MATN has a long running ck2 empire of Cromwell campaign going, but he can be frustrating in that a) it's his first game ever and mistakes are made and b) he's notoriously bad at noticing things

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about let's plays is that the latter annoys me so much more than the former. I don't mind if they make dumb strategic decisions because it's more entertaining that way, especially in a game like CK2 where losing can be as interesting as winning so long as you don't get kicked right into a game over. What's frustrating is when they just cannot figure out how to do a thing that has a big button right on the main UI.

Less that he can't find how to do things, more like not paying attention to the chair icon on the top bar and wondering three years later why he does't have a steward

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the question with Holy Fury is what should I do first? pagan glory? crusading? pagan crusading?

Dogs and cats living together

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll probably check out something in Africa first personally

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I am hella PEEVED posted:

I'm not at home and not able to play yet. Are you able to save Random World settings? I'm gonna always generate animal kingdoms so if I don't need to scroll through multiple times it'd be great.

I don't see a save button, and even backing out of custom game setup and returning resets the settings

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone know how Eldership is supposed to work? Cause I don't understand why Mr 3 Votes here isn't the heir apparent

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Torrannor posted:

It's honestly great, and it's actually a tough decision whether to give that honorary title to a powerful vassal or an unhappy elder.

Kicking elders out of your court gets rid of their vote too. I just booted all the unhappy elders and things started going a lot more smoothly

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have to say the tribal army change is really irritating when it comes to uprisings. One of my neighbors in a 769 Africa start is now just sitting on an upkeep free 3k doomstack of event spawned troops and is just gobbling up the small guys.

Pushing a button for 2500 dudes to deal with that problem is missed

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

wiegieman posted:

Can you so this without banishing or getting a bunch of tyranny penalties?

Standard "ask to leave court" 5 prestige hit and the disappointed opinion malus. The only people that seem to get a vote are 50+ year old people in your court, none of my elder vassals or such got a vote, and random 50+ year old people I invited for commanders and such suddenly did get a vote, so really Eldership just seems to require regular court grooming.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cock hero flux posted:

Haven't seen too much of it myself but I feel like Shattered World will be challenging if you play Catholic or someone else who doesn't have good CBs, since pagans/tribals/nomads will be able to expand very quickly.

Depends on the tribal. The African tribals don't seem to have that "can claim border counties without a reason" cb, so I pretty much have the once a lifetime subjugation, the border dispute which has a massive opinion malus, and force vassalization which costs massive amounts of prestige

e: nevermind, now that I border a muslim the claim cb showed up

Azhais fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 15, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Eldership is like a massively worse version of Tanistry, how exciting!

Also, man is it annoying making empires in Africa. Tribals make no money to speak of, and there's not much raiding in the Sahara. And in my particular case it doesn't help that the Sultanate of Africa is snowballing hard. I've got 13k troops in Songhai and I'm barely keeping pace. Getting that last 600 gold is gonna be slooow

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Asproigerosis posted:

am I a coward if I take off shattered retreat? It's absolutely miserable crushing a stack only for them to lose maybe 20% and having to chase them around instead of sieging.

Grab a siege leader of some variety and just take down a country or two while their army is on extended holiday. Killing a 10k stack 20 dudes at a time in two second no morale battles isn't that entertaining either

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sulphagnist posted:

It probably needs a tiny bit of fine-tuning because no matter how much the Pope wants the Duchy of Ferrara, un-excommunicating a King for going on a crusade only to excommunicate him again while he's neck deep fighting infidels in the Holy Land is excessive and would have caused a huge ruckus for a real Pope.

In my first Ireland campaign I won the first crusade, the pope died like 2 minutes after the crusade ended, and I got excommunicated immediately by the new one. Pope AI be crazy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cythereal posted:

:siren:

Crusader Kings 2 is 75% off and all the DLC is 50% off on Steam for the next 24 hours.

:siren:

Quoting for new page.

I'm glad you guys started talking about pagan reformation, I totally hadn't been looking at that in my game. I'm three quick wars away from controlling all 5 African sites, time to push that button!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What are peoples' thoughts on the new tribal retinues? Sometimes I miss the ability to burst out units quick, but having a thousands strong army just sitting around has been helpful as well. Chews through money, though, and smaller tribal realms seem to put up a much better fight.

Tribal troop counts seem higher overall, probably also due to the cheaper prestige upgrades in tribal holdings. When I started invading Ireland, the king had 12000 troops between him and his vassals.

The tribal retinues cost prestige to maintain, not money, at least mine does. I'm at like -1.5 prestige a month maintaining my 1800 troops

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm about 50/50 on my tribal 100light/50heavy (prestige) and 200 heavy infantry (gold) retinues. That might be it.

Didn't notice my prestige taking a hit from the reinforcement, but didn't look closely either.l

I have not seen any reinforcement costs at all with the prestige troops, another point in their favor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gobblecoque posted:

First shot at the Byzantines I died in battle after a few years; this time I cannot manage to die no matter what I do. My dude is old, depressed, stressed, has cancer, other diseases at various times, and I've had him leading armies all the time. Even when I tried to commit suicide I just ended up incapable so I'm probably gonna survive another 20 years and outlive all my heirs.

Come to Africa. I lose about two commanders per war and multiple rulers already. My best run so far was 7 commanders in 5 engagements.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sulphagnist posted:

Am I the only one with a large realm who just ignores incessant pagan raiding because it's a huge amount of micro while the negative effect is negligible?

Is all fun and games till they sack your capital and run of with your level 4 armor and 33 of your relatives

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Randarkman posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I am growing very tired of Viking raiding adventurers popping up out of nowhere with 5000-10 000 men all the loving time.

Yes, I've complained about the Viking molemen in the past. I want a mod that replaces the tiny army icon with a giant :siren: so I can follow them around easily with my retinue

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

big dyke energy posted:

Here's something loving stupid: I'm playing the king of Sweden and my wife is queen of Denmark, I have an inherited claim on Denmark that I'm not going to use. We have an alliance, poo poo is cool.

Then one of her vassals starts a revolt to put me on the throne. I don't want that, I'm at my vassal limit as it is, so I join my wife's war. To suppress a revolt in my favor. Now she's mad at me for being a traitor, but happy I joined her war. This is so dumb.

Probably would have been an even bigger opinion boost just letting them put you on the throne then granting your wife the kingdom title as soon as you got it. Just to make it sillier

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Strudel Man posted:

There's a couple bloodlines that increase the chance of looting them. But not a new way exactly, no.

Rank 2 of the warrior lodges gives you a passive "reaver" power that increases the chance of stealing people and artifacts too

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lt. Lizard posted:

I love that "make a friend" is an ambition now.

"So sire, what is your grand ambition? Become Paragon of Virtue? Be Exalted among Men? Conquer Scandinavia?"
"No, I just want someone to talk to.... :smith: "

Yeah it's a free diplomacy rank. Start up, go carousing, make a friend two minutes in, grab the game master trait, and you're golden

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, I was going to ask about how, since female rulers can get concubines depending on religion now, is who the father is assigned? It seems reasonable to just have them all "officially" be the husband's, but apparently that's not the case. Hopefully that doesn't mess up any bloodline shenanigans or whatever.

I had two consorts on my Queen and all 6 pregnancies said "My husband is sure to be pleased", but the kids themselves did show the consort as the father and had the usual "Child of a consort" diplomacy hit. Weirdly I ended up with 2 kids from each of them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It just randomly hands out titles until you're under the cap with no interaction or confirmation

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MinistryofLard posted:

Are the new prestige retinues for Vikings not allowed to raid? I can't select it - is it only raised levies that can raid now?

I can raid with my African retinues

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

luxury handset posted:

more certain to be released than fallout 5.

Is fallout 76 not actually selling or something?

I'd take CK2 ownership with a small grain of salt at least, it was a free game giveaway one weekend so there's gonna be lots of people that added it and never played it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

big dyke energy posted:

Could you invite her to carousing and then eat her (if you already have the cannibal trait)?

I also killed a king of France awhile back, leading to them having a huge revolt for elective succession, and ever since France has had a new king every five or so years because they keep murdering each other for the throne.

Don't go carousing with cannibals

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

I think I'm still tribal. And Yea I'm just a petty king. How do you get into Feudalism? Its almost 900 right now so I don't know if that's a time sensitive thing involving events or just a tech thing.

Also, how do I improve relations with other leaders to the point theyll marry their kids to my kids? Sending gifts only works a bit.

feudalism from tribal requires a level 4 fort in your capital and absolute tribal authority in the laws. All of your tribal vassals will hate you for having a council. It's great having to bribe your council into voting for increasing their power.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You don't need Centralization, just tribal authority.

Yeah. And I forgot in my other post: Need to be Christan/Muslim (do any others work out of the box?) or have reformed your pagan religion

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kassad posted:

Yes, that's exactly what's happening.

It's also because he's attacking things outside of his de jure realm. You're threatening til you can grab an empire title, then cleaning up the second half of the empire is less threatening, then you start again

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SkySteak posted:

When it comes to Pagans and Reformation, how does 'Meritocracy' and Elective Gavelkind interact? Does it simply mean I can force designate a primary heir but the junior air concept still applies, or can I literally just bypass the whole mechanic? Asking as I am on an ironman save and sadly do not have the ability to test/redo.

You just define who gets the top titles, instead of it being primogeniture based. It's still just gavalkind otherwise.

e: misread, I don't actually know how it interacts with the elective part of it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I will always hate the glitterhoof event because I hate the name of the horse. And there is only ever the one name.

There's also Horse M.D.

I'm 40 years into my current CK2 game and things have taken weird turns already. East Francia took over everything as one might expect, but it's not run by any descendant of Karl or Karloman yet is still Karlings. I have no idea. Byzantium decided to move their capital to Italy. Denmark took all of Scandinavia and reformed the Germanic religion 15 years in.

Meanwhile I was just trying to do quickly do the United the Kingdoms achievement. The new tribal retinues are OP AF for that, a 2400 standing army just rolls over everything in the earliest bookmark.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 28, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Discovered something I didn't know today. Playing as the merchant republic of Britannia and some random vassal got me excommunicated. The Pope demanded that I become Gavalkind to repent. I said OK, and it switched the republic to gavalkind for about a third of a second then it snapped back to the standard patrician elections, but that was good enough for the Pope, and now all of my family has a +15 "love that new gavalkind inheritance!" +15 modifier.

Seems marginally buggy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The death event is why I always start with carousing focus so I can get games master. Bonus synergy with the new make a friend ambition now too

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I leave most of the council power in place just to keep factions down, but anything I want to use a lot I buy favors and turn off. Generally just wars and grant titles (the latter because it annoys the hell out of me that I'll have like -30 "Too many duchies" and the fuckers refuse to let me hand any out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I noticed this event starting to appear once I took Maghreb (Marokko) as Ghana. Losing 800 gold every few years is a pain, even with 30g a month income.

Is it an African coast exclusive event or something? Maybe related to having too many artifacts or something?

It happened a ton when I was playing Africa, haven't seen it once in my Scotland game. Maybe it's a Pagan thing?

Also, anyone know if you can have merchant republic vassals as a merchant republic? I recall them changing something recently about the number of republics you could have at one time