Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Man. I wish it were possible to see the succession laws of a place before you start a new game up.

I made a random file hoping to play with the new imperial succession, and with the byzantine option clicked, but when I loaded up the empire, it was Primogeniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CommissarMega posted:

Man, the most Crusader King I've got was seducing my daughter-in-law so that my chaste gay son would have an heir.

In one of our early multiplayer games, I hosed up badly and wound up with one or two counties in northern Italy. I had three sons, two of whom were already engaged or married, when I noticed that the elderly king of Germany had a single daughter as his sole heir, and his wife was also elderly. "A-ha!" I said. "A plan forms. I'll marry my youngest son to his daughter, and change my own succession law to Ultimogeniture, and after a generation, I'll bounce back from my earlier dumbassery and be ruler over the kingdom of the Germans!" My plan, of course, hinged quite heavily upon the King dying before his wife. Obviously, this didn't happen, and she died shortly after the marriage. The AI more or less immediately married a nubile 16 year old, potentially destroying all of my hard work. The poor young lady simply had to die.

...........................................long story short, I murdered 8 successive Queens of Germany.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

BBJoey posted:

I feel like there's an obvious explanation but I can't figure it out. The only non-bug possibility I can think of is that it doesn't work because she's a woman, or it doesn't work because Bulgaria holds land outside the de jure Byzantine Empire.

She's not a vassal of yours, she's just a courtier. If she owned actual territory with you as her liege, you'd be in control of Bulgaria, but since she didn't, she's independent now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Best Friends posted:

Related: is there any way to increase decadence in a Muslim state as an outsider, besides winning wars? Anything possible using seduction, rivarly, anything else?

The one I'm interested in "Does this work" is Carousing.

Can you, instead of using antagonize, use the positive influence focus on their country until they're your friend, and then take them carousing with you to become a bad influence on them?

Basically, I'm wondering you can actually be the terrible ungodly influence their propaganda no doubt thinks you already are.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The "Assassinate" button is great. I haven't used it since it was patched out (even though it's back in), but some problems you just wanted to pause the game, throw endless hordes of assassins at, until one actually did the trick.

I mean, yeah, it obviously tips everyone off that it's you sending the assassins. So what. If I want to hire what comes out to like, 100 death commandos to openly murder one guy, I feel like that's an option, especially in the case of like, adventurers or the like. Motherfucker, you're not even a country, get your bullshit event troops the gently caress out of here, and crawl back into the hell you crawled out of.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ScottyJSno posted:

This game is great.

Just had my soon to be King of England ruler...

1) Cuck his son and sire all his grand children.

2) Cuck his grandson and sire his great grandson.

3)Steal 300 gold from the church to pay off the Jewish loans

4)Beat cancer at age 81 by having his dick cut off.

....but... how did you have a great-great grandson?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is it impossible to generate an imperial government on the random world generator now? Because I've tried like, twelve times in a row and haven't gotten one, despite having the box checked.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
God, I hope they do something better for the far east---not sure what, exactly, (just have loving China as a place, really) but I was not a big fan of Jade Dragon mechanics at all.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm waiting for the patch notes where they fix characters sometimes being rendered as weird squiggly monsters and realize it's because they forgot to take historical ancestors out of their genetics, and one of their ancestors is a big floating glyph.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
To be clear, aside from maybe imbecile or exceptionally long regencies, ruler stats, while they make quite a difference, have never actually been important.

The most successful ruler I ever had in this dumb game was a homosexual dwarf who was a detached priest. I think his best stat was an 8.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This is just going to make the children of castrated characters even less believable.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm fairly certain castration isn't hereditary

I meant more "certain inadequacies would be exposed."

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If I didn't like the base game, I'd never buy any of the expansions for it, and expansions have tended to add quite a lot of content that just... layers onto what's already there. I've never really felt "ripped off" by Paradox, even though I've probably blown more money on their games than I have other companies.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hellioning posted:

Scheming regencies sounds more fun than it probably would be. It would absolutely suck to lose a character early due to disease or something, have your preferred regent taken out by a high intrigue jerk, and then have them kill your entire family and ruin your realm while you're unable to stop them.

Everyone wants to be Simba returning to take over Scar's kingdom after he ruined it, but no one wants to be small child Simba at the mercy of King Scar.

In my first Muslim playthrough of CK2, I had a child take over the kingdom, and one of my old character's secondary wives became regent, and she locked me in a room to starve to death, and it was actually kind of heartbreaking to be on the other side of.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

This guy absolutely plays pagan and kidnaps women with the attractive trait (or have portraits he finds hot) to make his concubines. Or consistently takes the seduction focus.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ilitarist posted:

Also hope that Muhammad is now a 3D floating shiny word.

I've been secretly hoping for this and that it also somehow fucks something up with genetics and there's a bug where people with the Sayyid trait sometimes appear as a person with beard, clothes, accoutrements, etc, contorted into a floating glyph.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Those are fun. I just got locked into a tower until I starved to death.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

I feel like it's probably too easy to get all of a rival king's dukes to just.... Help a foreign power kidnap their king

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Crusader Kings 3: Thread Title Lost on Succession.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Are knights the new commanders or are they separate?

The videos make them seem like an asset in and of themselves. That the army might have an overall commander, but each knight contributes fairly significantly to your army's power. If they're any good, at least.

Kaza42 posted:

Does anyone know if you can have your own character fight as a Knight in your armies in CK3? I haven't seen all the streams, but it doesn't appear in the dev diaries either way

The videos also show the king being in one of the armies. I dunno if you would be a knight per se, but still involved.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OK, I watched the newest stream, and one thing I'm really excited about is touched on right at the end: If you have a spouse that is of a local culture and you're of a foreign culture, you could get events that fire where the Spouse helps mediate disputes for you and so on.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Anno posted:

I wonder if it ends up just encouraging gameplay that’s boring but people feel like they should do. Like every few in-game years you end up spending 10 minutes slowly paging through the character finder looking for the perfect heir to try to sway/adopt, even if the heir you have is good.

I mean, yes? Some people will always play this way. It's kind of like deliberately getting their "bad" heirs killed to play as their "good" character, changing their election laws, etc etc etc..... nevermind that the challenge of playing as an objectively worse character trying to put down his usurper brother is some of the most fun this game has available. Me, I'll play that scenario out and throw my entitled little poo poo of a younger brother into prison and strip his lands. Who's the golden boy now?

Nonetheless, that doesn't mean its a system that shouldn't be in the game, if they can make one that's fun/situational. These games would have zero appeal if everyone played the same way. That you have a choice with real consequences, that's the part we actually enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, there's something to be said about that. Like, if you have the system, you don't want it to be so big that, to some people, it becomes the entire game, because eventually, you'll have to start making a different game than the one you actually want.

EDIT
Add to one of the learning lifestyles a teaching focus that encourages you to take on Wards, only let you adopt children that were actually your wards.

Add an infertility secret that you can learn through court physicians.... maybe it gives people a hook on you, but if you're open about it, it would let you select your own adopted heir......

If you have a spouse that you were "soulmates" with, and they die before issue, you can adopt an heir.....

If enough children tragically die by the time you become elderly, have an event chain to choose an heir.......

There's ways to do it.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 22, 2020