Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mongolian. As they always should've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's called HUN-gary isn't it?!?

Sorry I've been reading the Paradox forums too much. Next thing I know I'll write a 30k word post about how the game fails to fully model the glorious empire of Jutland, the true heirs to Rome.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I miss the old Italian portraits when all the men looked like moldy potatoes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It occurs to me that a horse should probably get some kind of personal combat bonus on account of being a horse. I wouldn't like to fight a horse, even if you gave me a sword.

Everyone knows that horses lose to spears.

Don't bring a sword to a horse fight.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can Basques do the Reconquista?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedit posted:

Erm ... she stopped because she died.

Pfft what a lightweight...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I once somehow managed to convert a vassal Pope to orthodoxy as a ERE emperor in a previous version. I'm pretty sure that was a bug.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You'd probably bring along a few peasants but mostly they'd be building and maintaining camp, digging holes, cooking the food, carrying stuff, and so on and so forth.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's pretty fitting that the Third Reich named its invasion of the Soviet Union after a guy who died a really embarrassing death.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Central Africa is pretty fun. I'm playing as the random Berber (?) looking but Hausa culture dude in the Viking Age start. I've become king of Hausaland, a hero in the warrior society, and have started expanding west towards Ghana which is now fractured by a bunch of civil wars.

Downside:
my son just died from syphilis and all my other kids are from their mothers dynasty. I need to knock up a concubine stat.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So I've established myself pretty firmly in Africa and should probably be able to create an empire within the next few generations. Should I stick to African paganism and aim to reform it or should I convert to Islam and go hogwild on all my pagan neighbours?

I wanna try the new reform mechanics but I've also not played a Muslim in literally years.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hedgehogs and all other dogs should get a huge bonus with Zoroastrians

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

best nickname?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is there any reason to go feudal as an African emperor when you aren't saddled with gavelkind instead of just staying tribal forever?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Do I lose the OP African inheritance system if I go feudal?

Though I am emperor so that would just mean all my kingdoms would be spread out among the kids which isn't too much of a bother.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The elders always seem to choose whoever I want or at very least someone I don't mind and they always keep it consistent over my six or seven kingdoms. Even if I'm juggling several kingdoms they never seem to mess it up by all choosing my moronic syphilitic nephew who eats people or something like the vassals usually do when I've played elective.

Maybe I'm just really lucky.

Now I've gotten to the point where I'm too big to fail so I'll probably go with a very aggressive war oriented reformation so I'll have something to do for the next 400+ years other then going to parties and building up my holdings. You know go north and conquer the north of the continent.

Maybe even attack Europe and set up some colonies.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 6, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, the popular image of the Mongols is as a huge horde of nothing but scary horse archers but they were really into assimilating other cultures into their army and they were very open to other religions. The Mongols that arrived in Europe were a hugely diverse group some of them armed with cutting edge technology like firearms and explosives.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In my current game the dude I started out as was an absolute beast and git the name "The Great Lion". His descendants, aside from old "Knuckle Slammer", have been lame-os like "The Squealer" and "The Milkdrinker".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any pro tips for taking down a large Muslim kingdom?

I've been trying to assassinate their leaders in hopes that I can get someone decadent on the throne but it's a very slow process since the sultans have all been very popular.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I´m in Africa

I'm also starting to get worried because the Abbasids just swallowed up Egypt. Though maybe if I'm luck the Andalusians and the Abbasids will end up fighting each other allowing me to make small landgrabs at their frontiers while they're distracted.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

a e s t h e t i c

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Abbasids are mean.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also do pagan great holy wars operate under the new crusade system?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Do the Ynglings get a bloodline from being descendants of Odin through Freyr?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

But that's the whole point of the dynasty. The "Yngvi" the lings are supposedly descended from is Freyr. Of course according to Ynglinga Saga the old gods weren't actually divine but men from Asia that were so heroic that our ancestors thought they were gods which totally makes it ok and not heretical to revere them and claim descent from them.

Though if I remember correctly Freyr one of the Vanir and not the Æsir which means he was not related to Odin by blood. Or not very closely. Odin is only about two generations removed from the creation of the cosmos which means he is probably related to everyone on some level.

E:
A mythology game using a similar engine to CK2 would be cool. Zeus would of course he hardcoded as always being on seduction focus.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 23, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dwesa posted:

Yngling dynasty of CK2 is basically Fairhair dynasty starting with Harald Fairhair.

pfff.

As an Icelander I have a beef with Harald Fairhair. Iceland was settled (allegedly) by Norwegians either fleeing his reign or those who had fought against him during his conquest that didn't want to have a king for an enemy. If that fucker hadn't taken over Norway I wouldn't be here in the rear end end of nowhere.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It is the 1070s and I'm well on my way in my quest of uniting Africa:

I accidentally cropped out the lower part of the map where I control everything up to Nubia. Which used to be Abbasid but has now fractured into a dozen tiny states after a revolt. A fact that I plan to take advantage off.

Somehow the Karlings lost control off the HRE but gained control of Norway

also the British Isles are a mess

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not half bad:

Just launced a Great Holy War for the Horn of Africa. If that goes well I'll have access to every sea and be one closer to my long term goal of unifying the continent.

Meanwhile the HRE is insanely huge and I'm getting worried because I'll need to fight them sooner or later:

Abbasids are also big but are currently under the rule of a heretic while almost all the vassals are still sunni and I´ve managed to pretty easily fend off every one of their attacks for the last century or so.

The British isles are a mess:

religious situation:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skypie posted:

One thing that cracks me up is that vassals will be pissed about me holding too many duchies or my demesne being too big, but the council will veto all my decisions to offload them :v:

They just want you to give land to them or people they like or alternatively they're looking for an excuse to be mad at you and if they allow you to actually fix things they don't have that excuse.

Sorta like how politicians IRL will defund a public service or institution and then complain that it's inefficient so they can cut it even more and try to get it replaced by a privatised version that someone they know owns.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 22, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How far east do you need to be to interact with China?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I get the China expansion does China get added to my current game or do I need to start again?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Found the ur-Goon

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just ignore the fact that he's an charismatic buff sex haver

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The unification of the continent is proceeding nicely.

I'm actually getting large enough to stand a chance against the Abbasids in a straight fight and my current character formed a bloodline that allows him to do invasions at will. He's only 29 and most of his predecessors have lived to be 70+ so I think he stands a good chance at being the one to finish the job.

However sooner or later I will have to fight the HRE and they have about 80k troops. I only have half of that. If they ever have a civil war, they seldom do, I might be able to snatch the area because I don't think I can take the full brunt of their entire army plus holy orders if I try to take it all in one go. Though of course I might just nibble at it in a bunch of small wars until I've got it all but what is the fun in that?

oh an the Pope just called a crusade against for Thrace for some obscure reason.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pro tip:
Find someone with a claim to a enemy kingdom. Invite him over, give him a bishopric or a republic. Then press his claim. This should create a kingdom level theocracy or republic.

I did this by accident once creating the Theocracy of France.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My dynasty has like 5 different bloodlines. All of them created by me when I land on someone with no bloodline thanks to how eldership sometimes shakes out.

No character has them all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My dynasties bloodlines:

I think my post conquest goal will be consolidating all the bloodlines.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Good advice
It worked.

I starting raiding the HRE a bunch and then hit them with an invasion as soon as they were busy with a crusade* and took their land pretty easily.

Now to apply the same methods to the Abbasids, after I beat of their most recent Jihad and the continent shall be mine alone!

*Against Byzantium. Resulting in this mess:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 6, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought the plague exclusion zone was Poland

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mission accomplished:

Now to spend the next couple of centuries until the end of the game consolidating all my god drat bloodlines. They just keep piling up but because I've got eldership inheritance I keep ping ponging around different branches of the dynasty so no one has all the six or so bloodlines and some just have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just took over most of Italy through invasions and gave it to some random vassal and gave him independence. Just so I could have some other independant state with my culture and religion.

I think I might be a blob.