Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

To the wretched Original Poster, you are a tyrant and a vile tadpole!
We will no longer stand idly by as you consign good DLC to the bottom
of the barrel. The time has come for you to give The Reaper's Due more
credit! Submit to this demand peacefully or face the consequences! Rest
assured that I have gathered others who are equally upset...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I finished my first complete game just in time for the patch, taking tutorial island to the heights of the nonsensically-laid-out Alba empire. Just about every one of those extant counties just sorta fell into my lap by accident and it kept happening all game; any time I actually tried to gain control something or other would get in the way. The end date caught me completely by surprise because I kept waiting for the mongol invasion to happen and it just... didn't. No idea what happened to those guys.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like the only real impact of those titular title changes is that the game won’t keep nagging you about “hey! You can make a title right now (that doesn’t actually contain anything)!” but maybe I’m missing something.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Eh, I'd rather that than live in a world with nothin but red and brown. He managed to kill every blue and purple power.

Hey, I tried to help my blue buddies the swedes whenever I could but they went and got themselves conquered when I happened to be playing an rear end in a top hat.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Why honey, he... has your eyes...!

Funky Valentine posted:

The amount of references the animal name lists have is awesome.

The dragons have "Rathalos" and "Rathian".

One of the cat names is "Talking".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

As for troops, one thing the game doesn't really explain well is that you get a HUGE boost to levies in your capital. One capital province with 4 castles will pump out way more troops than four provinces with one castle each. Build up your capital as much as possible, and then focus on other castles. You can also get a temporary boost by setting your marshal to train troops in your capital.

What's generally the best holding strategy, anyway? I've just been making all cities because I love money but I'm pretty sure that's not the best practice. I'm also not sure how much to build up hospitals or trading posts (when a family happens to build one in my holding).

E: Shoulda finished reading the dang thread!!

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 21, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

If you want to be king of tech, it can be nice to have a ton of vassal cities feeding you tech points from their universities.

Speaking of tech, in my Ireland game I wanted to move my capital to Dublin once I got it, but its tech was so far behind my current capital two counties away I put off doing so until it caught up through drift, which... never happened. Does it not actually set me back as much as I was treating it? How about if I moved my capital to Jerusalem half the world away?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

Boy the new (well to me) Jade Dragon CBs make it much easier to conquer your way into controlling a bunch of vassals. But what is the best way to go about booting these bums out and personally controlling some holdings?

Have title revocation allowed, and then bully the hell out of them until they plot to kill someone, then attempt to arrest them and hope you fail, making them a rebel you can revoke from with no tyranny.

If you actually arrest them, I dunno. Ransom them or sacrifice them to satan or something.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also remember you can always just do what you want and eat the tyranny penalty.

Yeah it rules when you get popular enough that even your hated rival is 50+ opinion. Just do whatever you want at that point.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

moush posted:

Is it worth picking up this game on the steam sale to someone new to the genre? I love boardgames and the only other game I've played even close to like this is Civ.

It’s fun, though I’d compare it more to RPGs than board games. There are a lot of random elements that will screw with you, but it can be really fun to do badly in his game. Getting imprisoned for decades by your rival sucks, but it makes it feel oh so sweet to get revenge on his family once you get out. I’ve never been able to get hooked on Civ but that role play element is what caught me with this game.

That said, I actually quite like the mechanics of war, as straightforward as they are.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Bear in mind there is a real event of historical record where the Holy Roman Emperor died on the crusades by drowning in hip-deep river, because he tripped while crossing it and couldn't get up because his armour was too heavy.

People die all the time for incredibly stupid reasons.

God I wish that was an event. Especially if it can only pop if you’re loaded with fancy gold artifact armor.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wolfechu posted:

It's a skeleton hiding under some meat.

A member of the secret skeleton society

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Good gravy reading that diary brought my computer to its knees, I think the particle effect might have a memory leak or something. Really thought that would've been fixed by now.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

I think this’ll age pretty well, too. And it looks like it can still run on rather modest machines. I think it was a good choice.

And between mods and further DLCs I can’t wait to see how diverse the world’s characters can be in a few years.

I hope someone finds out a way to manipulate the character rig and let us get all Monster Factory with people. Extra points if it works with the genetics system.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

Not a lot of new stuff here except that there's several types of northern European elective you can adopt instead of just tanistry, which is neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWbFgPKt3o

The ability to have unique succession laws for duchies (rather than just kingdoms+) is new, isn't it? Might have some good inheritance clusterfuck potential, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm going to assume until shown otherwise that they've just changed how regencies are displayed, and that maybe it's a purely internal thing with the child king being the face still. That would be an extremely weird thing to miss out on.

Isn't this how it works in CK2? I'm certain I've seen acceptance letters sent by literal infant rulers (which were obviously written by the regent under the ruler's name).