Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am irrationally upset that HF doesn't drop tonight and instead unlocks an hour after I have to be at work tomorrow morning. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD :black101:

This DLC is pretty good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

1stGear posted:

My Dugu spawned with Craven, lost it when he went charging after an enemy commander, and died from the Flu right as I was getting ready to get my conquering on. :(

His son is a disappointment.

In mine's very first battle he took a spear to the jaw and was disfigured for life. After that though, he:

• Found a +2 axe artifact in the very first successful siege
  • Gained brave and a rank up to Brilliant Strategist in back to back battles
  • Had two hosts declare wars on him in the span of a decade, both of whom were thrashed and banished for 500 gold a pop, allowing for an incredibly early Empire title purchase
  • Joined the Rain Makers and won something like 10 consecutive duel missions, becoming an unstoppable masked duelist from hell

I'm currently expanding west with an eye towards Mali's gold mines, which I hope will be the economic engine to drive towards a unified Africa. :black101:

Also my son is a massive disappointment too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Are there additional requirements for heir designation? I just reformed the African faith and chose Meritocracy, which supposedly gives me heir designation, but instead it just defaulted to Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind and my only option is to change it to Elective-Gavelkind. Can tribals not use heir designation?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welp my 58 year old African Emperor finally established his legendary bloodline, all he had to do was travel to the Abbasid Empire, duel an assassin, duel a drunk, duel some poor peasant a local kid fingered as a champion sword fighter despite his -5 personal combat skill, and duel a motherfucking bear.

cock hero flux posted:

So I've hit 100% Legend with the warrior lodge and uh, is something supposed to happen? It's been there for a while and the description implies something should happen.

FWIW the events fired immediately upon hitting 100% legend, your save might be bugged. I already ran into an interesting one where after quitting to make dinner, I reloaded the save to find my male, African pagan ruler with the "Baptized by a Bishop" and "Troubled Pregnancy" traits, and had to enable the console to remove them. :shrug:

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah tribals are probably still locked to gavelkinda/elective-gavelkind

fortunately now that you've reformed your religion you can go feudal

Ugh, that blows, I wanted to stay tribal longer. Time to blitz to Feudal I guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So meritocracy update, it appears to actually be able to use your reformed religeon's heir designation ability, you have to:

-Go Feudal
-Reach legalism 3
-Switch to late administration

:suicide: Wish it was more explicit that this was something a good ~100 years away for me, or I'd have picked something different.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have a reformed religion and I'm African Pope, but I can't GHW because "the age of pagan great holy wars has not begun." Is there a specific date they unlock, or can it be forced in some way?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TaurusTorus posted:

You can force crusades by conquering certain Christian or Muslim territories, in Africa I believe Tunisia is a Muslim jihad trigger.

Thanks, I'll start throwing my weight around in Northern Africa then.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

indigi posted:

are there any tips/tricks to winning the inheritance game? I always have a ton of kids and marry them off to rulers/heirs but nobody in my dynasty ever winds up inheriting anything. is it just a roll of the dice or are there certain types of marriages I should be angling for

The easiest way is to find pretenders/claimants to titles you want who are not themselves in positions of power, and thus are pliable to a marriage into your dynasty. Then press their claim once they have an heir of your dynasty. Then either wait for them to die or see to it that they have an unfortunate accident, so your dynasty member inherits.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

All I know is don't take warmongering.

You'll instantly tank your MA because your vassals will constantly declare holy wars on neighbours 10 times the size of them.

Take Relentless instead.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Started up an 876 Duke of Spoleto run with an eye towards reforming the Roman Empire from Italy. Spent a couple years building up my demense counties, and sure enough in the middle of a war for Bavaria King Louis somehow gets himself excommunicated, turning every vassal against him and giving me just enough wiggle room to win an independence war. Immediately turned around and usurped the Papal States from the Pope, which pissed him off but luckly he died a year later before dropping an excommunication on me in response. New Pope demands I re-declare war on Louis to depose him in exchange for being crowned, so I kick Louis' rear end again and have a sweet Pope crown, but now most of the peninsula is owned by a growing Lotharingia blob which is going to make forming Italia a pain. Time to focus on unifying southern Italy first I guess!

Has anybody had success yet in taking Rome? I want to make it my capital but obviously I'd have to war with the Pope first, and HF has given the Pope some serious teeth. Worried he's just going to immediately excommunicate me and I'm going to get dogpiled.

e. Also the Pope showed up to my coronation covered in mud, what an rear end in a top hat.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 16, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sulphagnist posted:

Whats up Spoleto 876 buddy! I think for Rome, you ought to install an Anti-Pope first and then you can use the claim to install them as a vassal Pope and grab Rome. The Pope already hates your guts for simply existing in Italy and I presume will go nuclear with some nasty events maybe even popping up if you actually control Rome; and I would expect any independent Pope will hold Rome or perhaps even stuff in Latium hostage if you want him to crown you.

(And then you revive Hellenism and burn Rome down)

Oooh, that's not a bad idea. Right next to Rome anyway so blitzing an anti-pope installation war wouldn't be that difficult. Time to plant one of my son's butts in a bishopric.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

canepazzo posted:

How do I convert tribal counties to feudal? I upgraded them to reinforced hillforts but have no option (that I can see) to convert to castle. Or is it automatic? And do they need to be under direct control or can they / must they be under a vassal?

You first have to adopt Feudalism from the decisions panel, which you can only do if you have Max Tribal Organization, a max level hillfort in at least one province you own, and either follow a mainline religion (Islam, Christianity, etc) or have reformed your pagan faith. Once you select this, all counties in your demense will automatically convert to Castle, and will also build a town if there's a building slot available. After that, you can convert any other tribal counties you obtain by maxing the hillfort, right clicking the tribal settlement in the building slot, and choosing to convert it to a castle.

Your vassals on the other hand are a different story. AFAIK you cannot force counties not in your demense to switch to Feudalism, all you can do is help the process along by funding the development of their hillforts and hoping the eventually pull the trigger.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

binge crotching posted:

I don't think they are useful in Africa past the first decade or so of consolidation. It takes too long to get them to someone else's land, so it's definitely something focused around being able to toss them in some boats and drop them off in Ireland or whatever.

If I have a major complaint about post-HF Africa, it's that the southern portion is still ultimately a backwater. Sure you can make actual money there now, but it takes ages to move troops around and out of the area, which means once you start pushing into North Africa you want to move your capital + demense up there ASAP so the core of your troops doesn't constantly have to slog up the Sahara. Except then dealing with any unrest in the southern portion is a huge pain because it takes an eternity to move a stack down there. I wish they'd pushed the map out to the west a bit so there was access to ports in the SW corner.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Randarkman posted:

... Doubt besets me.

CK2.png

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SkySteak posted:

Is it normal for Catholic Moral authority to collapse to 0 in the Old Gods start? Like I don't know the exact Holy Sites but something could constant raiding/religious CBs do that?

It looks like it happened in my game too. It makes sense: tribals and pagans got insane buffs that crusade-less Catholics aren't equipped to handle, and crusades don't unlock until 900 at the absolute earliest. Maybe if the Karling thunderdome results in a reformed HRE they could stumble into the 900's, but more often than not I find Western Europe just dissolves into a gavelkind mess of tiny, infighting territories.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pope decided to call his first crusade for loving Sweden, and after being the top contributor I not only got a 6k gold purse, but my brother got set up on the throne. Of course Sweden was a disjointed mess of tribal counties, and not three years later he loses his kingdom and gets run out of town by rampaging pagans. He then shows back up in my court with his tail between his legs... and 8k more gold. :eyepop:

So yeah, now I have a -40 tyrant malus for imprisoning/banishing him. It hurts sure, but I think I can spend my way through the pain.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there a way to destroy holdings in a county you own as a Christian? I really want to keep Rome as my capital, but it has three of its six slots taken up by useless rear end churches

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Strudel Man posted:

There's a method for this specific case, and it's "reform the Roman empire."

Time to play the long game then.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What causes the "Claim" button that asks the pope for a claim to be greyed out? I hover over it and it says the request would be granted and I have enough piety, but the loving button is greyed out :argh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cheesetriangles posted:

I think it's greyed out when a non catholic holds the title.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks :)

Also I now know why Catholic MA keeps tanking so hard: the Pope is a loving MORON and keeps calling off Crusades a couple days before they're set to be launched, and every time he cancels one it's a -10% to MA. :psyduck:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Asproigerosis posted:

Converted all of eastern europe to christianity, ~15,000 piety, carried the first crusade for aquitaine to victory, created the wendish empire. Not enough to become a saint apparently.

Did you fulfill the Paragon of Virtue ambition? I just had back to back rulers: one with ~2,500 piety but was a PoV, and one with ~10,000 piety but no PoV. First one was sainted, second was not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
MA is definitely a candidate for mod overhaul. Granted I've only played two games and they've been 769 and 867 starts, but both times Catholic MA immediately tanked due to them being either too weak or too focused on the Karling infighting to fend of being kicked around on all sides by Muslims and Pagans. Sunni's are also always at 100%, even in my Africa game where I holy warred them completely off the continent, which means the Shia event chain is pointless because they start with significantly less MA and just get converted/beaten down by huge Sunni blobs. Pagan MA is basically "Are you germanic vikings? If yes: unstoppable warpath to reformation. If no: hahaha get raided scrub."

I assume Catholics are fixed a bit in a 1066+ starts because they've got several large and stable realms to bulwark against being relentlessly poo poo on, but being Tengri or Suomenusko is still probably the loving worst.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Piell posted:

Catholic MA is also usually screwed by the huge antipope modifier.

They also take a -10% every time a Crusade is canceled, and in my limited experience so far the Pope is fickle as gently caress. I've never had a Crusade launch the first time, it's always been canceled at least once, and then recalled a month later on the same target. One time we were at about 80% war score in a Crusade for Hungary, when suddenly the Pope cancels it just before the finish line. Turns out Hungary chose to convert, which apparently not only doesn't count as a win and thus doesn't boost MA or dole out the warchest to the top contributors, but it also counts as a cancellation and tanks Catholic MA by 10% :psyduck:

HF is fantastic but I'm really hoping for a patch soon to clean some of this up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
New emperor of Italy finally comes of age, and I immediately get the Alexander the Great event chain. Half-way through it I'm worried it's stalled out because I haven't seen any events in a while, so I check my ambitions and sure enough one of them is "Forge a Bloodline." I figure Alexander must have failed and it just didn't tell me, whatever. Take the ambition, not a month later I get a pop up event that, because of my "high learning skill" (I had 9 Learning :downs:) allows me to get the "Philosopher King" title and forges a bloodline. That was... easy?

Then two months later the Alexander events start firing again, succeed, and now I've gone from one bloodline to three in half a year. :psyduck: Immediately used my shiny new Invasion CB to take the kingdom of Egypt because it felt appropriate. Also because I won Jerusalem in the last Crusade and wanted to sure up my gains.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there any compelling reason not to always pick Temporal?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Randarkman posted:

e: That said, Equality is a good doctrine. Haruspicy, Ancestor Worship and Meritocracy also seem pretty good, the first two even pretty thematically appropriate for Vikings, and designating an heir is good, though it seems less necessary now when you can game elective by having lots of cash.

Heir designation also only works within whatever succession system you have. So if you're still stuck in gavelkind all Meritocracy does is let you select who gets the primary title: everything else still fragments as normal. It's stupidly good if you can pair it with ultimo though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How do you form Rome/get Roman culture? I'm Italia and I have the entire peninsula + Tunis, Egypt, and Jerusalem. Do I need to take the Byzantine crown?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Strudel Man posted:

Reforming Rome is a decision available to the Byzantine emperor, after they've conquered enough former Roman territory, so yes. After doing so, if you're...either any Latin culture, or maybe just Italian, you have an option for a Roman Renaissance, which makes you, Rome, and a random scattering of territories around it, Roman.

edit: Actually, the Roman Renaissance is available just to Italian or Greek characters.

Cool, thanks. Probably shouldn't have burned my Alexander Invasion CB on Egypt then, since I could of gobbled up plenty of Byzantine territory with it instead. Live and learn.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

twistedmentat posted:

Where do you find the options to form duchys and stuff? And the only way to increase your troops is to build stuff that increases it, and grow your pops right?

A notification bubble of a blue shield will pop up in the top left if there are titles you can create. If there's a specific duchy you're after, click one of the counties in the duchy, click the coat of arms, and then in the new window check the "De Jure" checkbox in the top right. This will show three new coats of arms in the top right: the Duchy, Kingdom, and Empire the county is a part of. Click the Duchy coat of arms, and you should see one of three buttons:

Create: This means the duchy doesn't exist yet. If the button is blue, it means you meet the requirements and just have to click the button to do so. If it's greyed out, hover over and it will tell you what you need. Usually you need to own a majority of counties in the duchy, and have a certain amount of gold.

Usurp: This means the duchy already exists and somebody else has it. Like with create, you need a majority of the counties (or all in some cases, it depends on the religions of yourself and the older) and you need to pay gold. This one is kind of a pain though since even if you meet all the requirements you're not allow to usurp a title from somebody who's at war, so somtimes you have to play a waiting game until whatever war they're fighting wraps up.

Destroy: This means you already own the duchy. Sometimes it's valuable to destroy titles but for the most part you should avoid doing so until you get pretty big.

As for troops, one thing the game doesn't really explain well is that you get a HUGE boost to levies in your capital. One capital province with 4 castles will pump out way more troops than four provinces with one castle each. Build up your capital as much as possible, and then focus on other castles. You can also get a temporary boost by setting your marshal to train troops in your capital.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CommissarMega posted:

It does, but you need really high level hospitals/disease resistance to actually see a change. Once I played as the Duchy of Tunis, cheated myself hospitals and all their buildings, and my duchy was completely spared all the plagues and sicknesses ravaging the rest of North Africa.

Hospitals also help prevent the prosperity level from dropping, even if the county is infected. This is pretty big since the gold difference between depopulated and level 2-3 prosperity is quite noticeable in your major economic engines.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you are feudal and have the demense space to personally hold them: Castles

If you're a merchant republic, you're Feudal but don't have the demense to hold the slot yourself, or the county is very rich because it's on a trade route: Cities

Churches are situationally useful for non-Catholic characters, particularly if you're allowed to personally hold them. For Catholics they're pretty useless and you'd get more of what you want (taxes or troops) from other holding types.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also worth noting that every time you successfully request a claim you get a -20 opinion hit with the Pope that lasts long enough that it'll linger until the current Pope dies. So realistically you can only get a handful of claims before the Pope dislikes you enough to hand out more. This isn't a big deal if a 60+ year old gets elected, but with younger ones make sure you really pick the claims you want because after a couple it'll be a while before you can realistically get more.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

prussian advisor posted:

What are the icons with the bomb and the wolf (?) head on the left? I don’t think I’ve seen those before.

The wolf is a warrior lodge trait. The bomb is one of the four Chinese traits your commanders can learn if you request the Chinese commander boon.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TjyvTompa posted:

I have a problem:

I have too many duchies and holdings so my council hates me and everyone is malcontent.
Malcontents always vote against you.
I can't give away duchies and holdings because everyone on my council votes no.

Is it possible to solve somehow?

You don't actually need your council's approval to give out titles. You can just unilaterally do it by clicking through to give it away, they'll just be mad about it and you'll get a Tyranny malus.

Either just ram them through over the objections of the council and hope the gains from losing your holdings malus override the malus from tyranny, or fire your council and replace them with people who aren't discontent. IIRC unlanded courtiers don't give a poo poo about how many holdings you have so they shouldn't have the "too many held [x]" malus.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Avalerion posted:

How do I do anything with the gold mines? Doesn't seem like I can build a tradepost or anything on them.

You need to get the trade practices tech up. Technically everybody starts with a limit of 4, but 0 trade practices gives you a -99% to trade post limit, so you effectively start with a limit of zero. Once you get the tech up one or two levels you'll be able to build on the gold mines.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm sure this has been answered, but can somebody tell me what specific counties you need to form the Outremer empire? I have all of Jerusalem, the Sinai Peninsula, and about 60% of Syria.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yup. Remember to always let her in a pick black, after that your best chances of surviving depend on your stats: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/300708/how-do-i-win-the-chess-with-death-event

You need the entire Near East, which I think corresponds basically to the entire Arabian peninsula. Remember that it needs to be under your *complete* control, so if the decision isn't popping up it's time to scour your counties one by one looking for stray unowned baronies.

Oh wow okay, I thought it was just holding the area around the Medditeranian. Didn't realize I had to go take the entire Peninsula. That's going to take awhile without breaking some truces, considering one dickhead owns the whole thing. :sigh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah I've already got two separate holy orders vassalized who poo poo out an additional ~10K units of HI/HC and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So speaking as somebody with 500+ hours in the game: what causes titles to split when you've got Primogeniture? I have no idea what's going on outside of a bug. The background:

1. I have two kingdom level titles
2. Both are Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture
3. I have two sons, both with the exact same parents.
4. Eldest son has two kids, youngest has none.

The eldest just died, and now apparently my titles are going to split because my youngest son is the primary heir to the first kingdom, but my (now deceased) eldest son's two kids are first and second in line for the second kingdom. :psyduck: I have no idea how this could happen given both kingdoms have the exact same inheritance laws.