Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Davincie posted:

i hope that means the muslims and pagans are fully playable from launch

Didn’t they say the whole map was playable day 1? Presumably with some scale of how much content they have from the get go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I personally think it’s meaningful in a small way. Even if someone wants to put it back in I at least appreciate that the developer recognizes the problem and is willing to do something that’s probably net-negative for them in order to not cater to even that (hopefully?) small number of lovely people in their community.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Captain Beans posted:

Fresh topic to endlessly discuss:

2d art/portraits or 3D models? Fight!

I like how the 3D models were implemented in Imperator, less so here. I think it's just a style thing. There's still seemingly at least a year left of dev time so I hope they continue to iterate on that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m a huge sucker for anything that lets me put the maximum amount of fuss into encouraging a game mechanic to passively spread across a map so those changes sound pretty rad.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Armacham posted:

Off topic but is there a thread for Imperator? Is it any good yet?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887704

I've enjoyed the current patch quite a bit. It's still a little all over the place but enough of the mechanics are interesting to play around with that I consider it pretty fun. And there's a big patch/free content pack coming out in a week.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm looking for a new LP to have on the other monitor at work. Any suggestions for a good CK2 series? Preferably from someone who plays on the slower side, roleplays a bit and isn't a weird alt-right mapgamer.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

shamelessly stolen, these days this is my go-to for second monitor:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_monitor_Parna%C3%ADba_(U17)

How boring it must be to serve on that ship. But it's a cool tidbit of useless information!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I do indeed enjoy that DD. The characters/clothing/backgrounds continue to get so much better. This one in particular looks pretty rad.

Anno
May 10, 2017

catlord posted:

I was just coming in to comment on that exact picture, because I wasn't sure about the change to 3D models, but that image change my mind. It looks so good!

Also I absolutely want to play as Matriarch Aamira.

Me too! I hope they do a diary showing off the generational changes.

My only concern is just that there won’t be enough of the clothes/backgrounds to keep up the diversity for awhile, and that it’ll be relatively hard to mod.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Eimi posted:

It makes me wonder if there will be an adoption mechanic. Perhaps as one of many varying succession types you could adopt. Though that might be too gamey but if you had to adopt an ai raised heir that might make it more interesting given how much control you have over heirs you raise yourself.

Pretty sure they’ve said no adoption at launch.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think the line was that the map is going to extend further east than CK2 but not to China. Maybe through Tibet?

Also there was a DD today on Holy Orders.

Anno
May 10, 2017

a fatguy baldspot posted:

i like that you can create your own holy orders, that's neat!

Apparently everyone can, even those of custom faiths. I wonder how many will actually be on the map in a normal game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

New CK3 dev diary - Fervor, Religious Hostility, and Doctrine Showcase.

Seems like a fun system if they can get the balance right between the rise and fall of various faiths.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm curious how antipopes will affect it (assuming antipopes are still a mechanic in CK3). I would assume they hurt it pretty significantly, but with the way the mechanic is described and how it recovers a bit if a heresy shows up, you might end up with a funny situation where there are a bunch of antipopes around but everyone has just kind of.... gotten used to it fervor is still high.

Pretty sure they confirmed no antipopes at launch.

Overall I’m really looking forward to the game based on what they’ve shown so far. In part just to get in on CK at launch rather than many years/DLCs later, but a lot of the mechanics look fun and really open to neat mods. I’ve also come around a lot on the 3D models.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Torrannor posted:

Just a quick question, I only now saw the link to the dev diary, but none of the pictures show up. Is that a problem on my side, or something to do with the Paradox servers? I also can't access the DD on the Paradox forums.

I think their forums are down for 24 hours for a revamp.

Anno
May 10, 2017

So this image was apparently on the Microsoft store showing the entire map and it sure looks like there’s a tear for another piece to be added with China on it.

Not official, so grain of salt etc.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm a sucker so I'm going to pre-order for the bonus HRE hats.

Also I've liked most things they've shown so far, so eh...

Anno
May 10, 2017

The 1066 counties map looks really pretty, imo. I hope we get an option to explode everything down to a counts-only start.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Some nice additional options for vassal contracts. Good use for those hooks you dig up on your liege/vassal.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Serephina posted:

That was eight years ago, and since CK2 has had over $300* of DLC, plus whatever the base game was. Almost all advice in this thread assumes extensive DLC ownership (council, pope, etc). After CK2, Paradox Dev studio has released Stellaris, which was been a flaming mess for every version of the game yet also has $250 worth of DLC to a $40 game.

That CK3 will have core mechanics refined via totally-not-mandatory DLC is a given. Coooore mechanics. Someone expressing hesitation on jumping on a release day purchase in this day and age is just showing a mocum of learning, nevermind familiarity with Paradox's gouging.

*Local currency

Stellaris DLC doesn’t really add core mechanics, though, and many that it has we’re soon stripped out of the DLC and patched back into the main game. It’s mostly new content for all game mechanics and additional types of empires.

That’s also the path that Imperator’s first paid DLC went.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Coolguye posted:

with 8 years of CK2 dev i find it difficult to believe that there won't be more things you can do in CK2 than CK3 on release.

I’m sure that’s true, but I also don’t know that that makes 3 a worse game. After 8 years I think pruning the bad and tightening up the good aspects of the game could be just what’s needed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I’m almost positive it’s just 876 and 1066 at release because that’s what people played in CK2.

I’m pretty excited about this system, especially that it’s easily moddable. It’d be cool if it eventually gets to the point where there are loads of special innovations for certain regions/cultures/religions etc.

Anno fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 19, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

Serperoth posted:

With the province chat in the last page, it did remind me that it would be neat to have more province building management in CK3 I think. Maybe have things be cheaper than CK2, or allow for more discounts in time/cost to promote it, without making them too strong, just an extra system to reward management

I’m also really hopeful that this system ends up being deeper and more thought provoking than CK2. I think a lot of it will depend on how much development grows and really affects things. So far a good number of the buildings look like they have more interesting features, at least.

Also boats being thoroughly abstract now rather than another unit I need to fiddle with is great.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Like 90% of the character art looks really lovely. I can't wait to see how they keep improving that and expand it in the future. This feels like a universal system for PDS games going forward.

I do hope that the continue working on the holdings post-launch like it's implied in one of the dev answers. I don't really like how many PDS games just have sprawl across entire provinces, but those baronies are a little too barren for my liking.

Looks great overall though, imo.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Here are some previews of the preorder/expansion pass wardrobe bonuses. Solid hats, imo. This middle dude especially looks really cool. His face reminds me of something you’d see in Dishonored.

Anno
May 10, 2017

wit posted:

I really like the art style they're going with here. Been playing Civ 6 recently a little and forgot how much I was put off by its doughy pixar leaders and grating voice work. The characters here look real enough to take seriously in RP but not so photorealistic that I'd feel bad for murderplotting against. I never noticed how essential those kind of elements are until I saw them done wrong. Civ 6 feels like something you'd get bundled on a MS Encarta CD way back. Underneath it, its a great game but the tone set by the aesthetic is so off.

I think this’ll age pretty well, too. And it looks like it can still run on rather modest machines. I think it was a good choice.

And between mods and further DLCs I can’t wait to see how diverse the world’s characters can be in a few years.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I thought both big Civ expansions were quite good. It’s still Civ, but it’s probably my favorite vanilla Civ. I just still
prefer modded Civ 5.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m hoping Humankind or Old World breaks the Civ monopoly on Civ-likes.

So far I don’t think either of them have the “it” that’ll break up any of the Civ playerbase. Old Word has the better chance, imo.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

Humankind is gonna be bad?

I just haven't seen anything about it yet that'll make it stand out in any way. Old World at least has the pseudo-CK thing going on and I trust Soren to make a very good game.

I hope Humankind surprises me, though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It still seems super EA. But I think it has a pretty good foundation.

Anno
May 10, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

E:
Wrong thread

This was a wild comment to try to contextualize.

Anno
May 10, 2017

New music from Andreas is always one of my favorite things about new Paradox games. I’m sure I’ve listened to more of his compositions than anything in all of games if you add up all the hours in and out of game. All of this sounds great.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Also gameplay streams starting this week.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1290316656825311234

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’ve watched at least most of his CK3 videos over the last few months, always expecting this video to be the one where he says something :yikes: and haven’t run into it yet.

Anno
May 10, 2017

New dev diary on performance and AI. Look at that speed 5 :eyepop:

Also apparently fewer OOS issues, so maybe multiplayer will be better.

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1291010930193514498

Anno
May 10, 2017

fuf posted:

I guess that makes sense but intuitively it feels a bit weird that as a ruler your elderly mother would leave for someone else's court

If that’s based on her traits/personality or whatever that’d be rad as hell. Like content mom is cool to hang around, but ambitious mom says gently caress you and tries to find someone else out there to press her interests.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Watching back through some of the vod I’m a lot more excited for the knight system than I would’ve thought. They seem to kick rear end in battle and I like that there’s UI for the knight vs. knight conflicts that happened during the battle. No idea how developed they are outside of combat but I hope it’s something that’s added a lot over time. It’d be a cool way to get attached to characters that could presumably die in any battle.

Vichan posted:

:spergin: incoming but I really hope they kept the title history in from CK2. I could spend hours going around the world browsing through past rulers.

You can see a little book icon on the title UI that I’m 99% sure is the history.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I do think Stellaris has the best DLC model going at Paradox right now, so I hope they do indeed follow that. Add the new systems to the base game and have DLC expand on them so that they can be well integrated over the course of the game. You then sometimes even get bonus DLC value down the line where an expansion you purchased previously gets some unique content added in a new expansion because the systems can all talk to eachother.

Anno
May 10, 2017

LordMune posted:

We have learned a lot from Stellaris.

Nice, that's good to hear. That's kind of what I was hoping when it looked like Imperator had a similar first paid content pack, but I wasn't sure if that wasn't just because of that game's isolated issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

Yep, looks like it. Here is a PP thread confirming that it was available here before, but not anymore. :( Hopefully it's fixed soon, so I can get some fancy HRE clothes.

Out of curiosity is it available on the Paradox store? https://www.paradoxplaza.com/crusader-kings-iii/CKCK03GSK0000001-MASTER.html