Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Disillusionist posted:

It's weird, I was under the impression that I couldn't fire council members (the option was grayed out), but after playing a while I am now able to. I didn't change any laws, either.

I think that might have to do with either a new ruler's short reign penalty or an active regency, but don't quote me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Palemdromes posted:

I just want to make an empire of pamplona is that too much to ask!!!

Ask Paradox to add bulls, then?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Just decided to bail on my first Kanem game after a series of increasingly worthless rulers either dying instantly or getting kicked around. Partially my fault - should've developed my lands more when I had the prestige to do so. Chess With Death popped up at a complete bullshit time and really screwed me, though.

Gonna give it another go tomorrow, I think. Probably with Bigger Revolts turned off; I think that would be fun in a more established realm, but for a tribal society it just ended up feeling like "lol give up a county for a year or more."

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Fat Samurai posted:

Having a regent giving you Ambitious is great and all, but now he's my Rival (and thus Malcontent) and is blocking my attempts to go and take clay that is rightfully mine. I'm surrounded by assholes and incompetents.

Joffreydidnothingwrong

If he's your rival, that means you can take War focus and duel him, right? Although you do have to be of age for that.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Decided to stick out a Kanem game that went sour for a bit. After several instances of male Mais getting done in by either excessive dueling, sudden illness, or Chess with Death, I eventually got a woman - Amina - who took the approach of "stay at home, focus on my family, and keep my vassals happy at any cost."

This actually worked out really well; while I was forced to pay tribute to the Aghlabids early into her reign, this kind of worked out in my favor as they helped with a couple of wars and refrained from starting any real trouble. On the other hand, the elders of Hausaland were complete assholes from the jump, constantly threatening to fracture the realm on succession if I didn't dole out the gold.

So eventually, after going into debt a couple times to fund wars of conquest, feasts, and a shiny new temple, I manage to scrounge up enough moral authority to reform the religion... despite my co-religionists' incompetence dragging it down. At this point I decide to go into full-on RP territory, so after declaring herself Empress, Amina decides "gently caress kings and gently caress the Elders." Enatic Clans take over, succession switches over to the (relatively) stable and predictable Open method the Sultan and his weird friends use, and all is well.

A+ 10/10 DLC, would recommend

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't like all this animal admixing in my CK2 talk. Medieval intrigue is supposed to be a pure, human endeavor of our disgusting nature. This is not your furry slashfic people!

On an unrelated note can someone point me to the furry slashfic thread because I got some spicy Undertale headcanons to post

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Yeah, some kind of "synergizes with" note would be nice. I like that it's not too explicit, though - it's fun to discover stuff.

I still think that reformed paganism could really use dynamically-arising variants or heresies instead of just "Old X". It'd be neat if, a hundred years down the line, a once-united religion could have their own little version of the Great Schism or the Shia/Sunni split.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

big dyke energy posted:

I've had the ai put Theodoric on the French throne before, so it definitely can happen!

Speaking of ai, though, has anyone had the ai reform a religion yet? I've had it happen before holy fury, and right now me and Saxony both have two of the holy sites. If the ai will reform I need to do it like... now, but if not I could wait until the viking age.

I saw it happen for Bön while playing a game in Africa, but I'm not sure if there's any special restrictions when you and the AI power in question are the same religion.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Had a really fun time in my Africa game. An independent member of my dynasty founded the Kingdom of Mali and I wanted to make some claimants so I could go to war for it, so I antagonized her until I could "duel" (read: murder) her senile and depressed rear end.

Thing is, I had all her daughters in jail to a previous raid... and due to a quirk of inheritance law (I guess she had no daughters of her own), the new ruler of Mali now had me as her heir.

Never mashed "execute prisoner" so enthusiastically before.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Kagon posted:

If you're West African Pagan and reform taking Seabound, are you able to do viking style raids, or do you have to do Seabound + Daring? I was hoping to take meritocracy instead of daring so I can get out of the ridiculous situations like nominating my worst possible heir so that my elders nominate a better one just to spite me.

I'm pretty sure you only need Seafaring, as Daring is not a prerequisite for raids.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Muslims should have Sufis.

Muslims should get a pretty big overhaul really.

Agreed on both counts.

Speaking of orders that people should get access to, it's weird that taking Monasticism doesn't generate a matching society for Pagans, right? It's enough of an edge case that I could see it being annoying to write a bunch of slightly different flavor and make sure the events and mechanics all make sense, but still.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Man, I did the "Forge Bloodline" thing for the first time today, and I really wish it was a little less opaque what the event-chain ones do. I'm not even sure if the choices I got were tied to the goals I was pursuing or if I just did a completely different thing than my original intent.

On the plus side, lots of replay value, I suppose!

THE BAR posted:

Does Catholics get to reform, too? It has such a mindboggling number of choices to pick between, and I wish it was more than a one and done event per game.

Catholics get to reform, but not until Europa Universalis. :v:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

SkySteak posted:

When it comes to Pagan Reformation, what leaderships did you all pick? In terms of options it seems like the most vague in terms of what benefits and drawbacks it gives you. If it wasn't for the potential loss of Great Holy Wars then Autonomous would be quite a near pick, giving you extra attributes and potential paths to take!

Oh, I went with Autonomous anyway, largely for rp reasons. Who needs GHWs when I can just run a regular holy war six times?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

luxury handset posted:

so of the 'classic' grand strategy map painting games ck2 is by far the biggest draw. granted it's been out the longest but we can be sure they'll develop a new one as soon as they release victoria 3, fuckers

If you truly wish to play a game of Econimics, and the rise of communism and fascism, might I suggest Real Life :smug:

(for real tho I want it so bad)

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Really, you should synergize. The side benefit of razing churches is that you get loot which you can then use to build your own churches to eke out a teensy bit of extra MA.

Also, Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury - The Side Benefits Of Razing Churches

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. Okay, here's a silly error. You may remember they mentioned, in the dev diary on the return of Hellenism, they mentioned that if a Greek-cultured character reforms the Hellenic faith, the gods return to their Greek names instead of the Roman equivalents. But someone submitted a bug report saying that this wasn't happening, and indeed I found the same in my greek amazon game - not only did they keep the Roman names, but I didn't divest the male gods despite using the enatic clans. It's quite odd, as they have this whole section of code written in scripted_effects to change gods around - not just for Hellenism, but for all the pagan faiths. You're supposed to be able to keep just the male or female gods by using agnatic or enatic clans, or have a single high god and nothing else if you take Dogmatic nature. Plus Hellenism potentially switching to Poseidon/Neptune as their high god if they take seafaring.

The problem? The line that actually calls that code has been commented out. That's it. I took out the #, and it works. (Not totally perfectly, admittedly; they switched the english and french localisation for GOD_GREEK_JUPITER, so it says Zeús instead of Zeus, and for some reason I can't immediately figure out the extra copy of Zeus that appears in the "gods" column instead of "high god" is just blank. But still, mostly working.) Bit of an oversight there.

edit: Oh, I forgot to mention one of the best bits in the commented-out code: If you take Holy Family, the reformer's family (self, spouse, one child, one sibling) all become gods of the religion. If you take holy family with temporal head, the reformer becomes the High God of the religion.

poo poo, for real? That rules. @paradox fix/re-implement this asap for my Immersion

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

dynamic insults own

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Honestly it's probably just that the wiki is out of date?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Lt. Lizard posted:

So uh is Tribal kinslayer a new trait or did I just never noticed it before? Because its kinda silly. (- 5 general opinion, + 15 sex appeal)

Apparently murdering my baby nephew makes me super hot?

Hey, people love bad boys and mean girls.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

If you hit 99% warscore but can't "lock it in" due to lack of battles, the AI will generally negotiate anyway. Practically, that's only a concern for human players (who are forced to accept defeat at 100%, but not at 99%, as I understand it.)

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there a way to destroy certain titles, like Kingdom of Galicia and Kingdom of Leon? I don't much fancy splitting my kingdom up into three parts, even though I have Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture.

Go to the Title screen and there should be a "destroy" option where Create or Usurp generally is, provided it's not your primary.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

In fairness, once the dust settled, it's not like the papacy refused their share of the loot or refused to acknowledge the Latin Empire as legitimate. This is just them getting a head start.

Alternatively you could pretend any troops they send are rogue armies I guess?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Been fiddling with save editing, localization modding, etc. for an LP I plan to do eventually.

Problem is, if I enable any mods that alter the checksum, I can't find - and thus can't edit - the save. Anyone know what's up there?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Fuligin posted:

On the topic of broken DHEs, has anyone seen any of the turkish warlords fire recently? I don't think I have since like... conclave or way of life

Seljuk fired in my Africa game and then immediately got ganked before he could conquer anything

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

I believe it's known to be broken and I think they mentioned a fix as part of the upcoming patch but I could be wrong.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Vengarr posted:

Question about Gavelkind. I had Primogeniture inheritance on the Empire of Abyssinia, with my capital in Fustat, Egypt. Below the Imperial title, the Kingdoms of Egypt and Nubia were Gavelkind. When I died, the Empire and Kingdom of Abyssinia went to my gifted son, and Egypt and Nubia went to his idiot brother. Okay, fair enough. But when he took over, he got the capital county of Fustat! I get that it's also the capital county of Egypt, but I thought the Emperor would always keep the Imperial capital county regardless.

I suspect the issue here is that Fustat being an Egyptian county means it's handled with Egyptian laws... which means gavelkind on a county level, not just a kingdom level.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

reignofevil posted:

Convert to Catholicism.

Falsely convert to Catholicism. What're they gonna do, Crusade you again?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

How the hell do I get people to join my secret Hellenic cult? Making them sympathetic to pagans is easy, but I can't get them to read the drat book I've left them. I've tried it on friends, my wife, other people who have 100 opinion on me, and have been unsuccessful every time. I thought maybe if they were cynical that might help, but it hasn't made a difference so far. I've even reloaded upon failing so I could try all of the available options, but nothing seems to matter. Is it just a very low chance, even if they have a maxed out opinion of me? I'd try asking children, but it looks like you can only ask them if they're in your court and I don't have any that are old enough yet anyway.

I thought being a secret pagan would be fun, but not if I'm the only one in the club.

I'm pretty sure it's a low chance, but it's affected by their traits and rank is well - like, IIRC it's easier to convert untitled and inquisitive folks than uncurious dukes.

Make sure you're tutoring children whenever possible, too. Even if you can't convert a duke, converting his son and then killing the old man is just as good.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well part of what makes the Ragnarr one a bit weird is the fact that you can actually play him and he gets it no matter how ordinary his life in your game actually is. The intent of the historical bloodlines is that they all happened before the game actually starts so they actually are the historical badasses we know them as, but TOG/Charlemagne make it a bit weird by having a significant number of historical people as playable before they did their big thing.

"I'm the great-grandson of Seljuk!"

"The guy who invaded Basra and got murdered immediately?"

"Yeah!"

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Goon Danton posted:

Hell yeah, want to see Jesus and Muhammad fighting back to back, surrounded by frost giants

Due to a programming oversight, Christian Jesus and Muslim Jesus show up and everyone just takes it in stride because they have bigger concerns

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

I suspect the issue there is that you're on either Gavelkind or Tanistry. If York was on Primogeniture you would've been fine, if it was on Gavelkind you might still be screwed but tbh I'm not sure

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Captain Beans posted:

In 1306 Phillip "the Fair" expelled the Jews, wiping out not only his own debt, but that of many peasants in his domain. Later, his son, Louis X invited them back and restored the peasant debts to the Jews (exempting his own of course) on the condition that the crown recover a 2/3 share of whatever the Jews could collect on their old debts.

Phillip the Unfair, more like :smug:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Magil Zeal posted:

Should I be taking a prestige hit for landless sons while following an Enatic clans religion? That doesn't seem quite right.

The real prestige hit is for having sons, giving them land just makes people grumble and say "yeah okay fine"

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

One thing I'd like to see in a CK3 is more options to meddle in the internal politics of other powers. Like, if there's a powerful independence faction in another kingdom, I should be able to offer my assistance to them. Or if I've got a claim on another lord's territory, I should be able to court his disaffected vassals to support my claim when I invade. There should be less of a distinction between my realm and foreign realms.

Strongly agree. More types of Plot would also be nice.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

doingitwrong posted:

But if they aren't an independent, then I have to fight their liege, right? Is there an easy way to check out the strength of my potential enemy's levies? I don't have a good sense yet for how to size up an opponent.

If you go to the character screen and click the Realm Tree button (the org chart lookin' thing next to their crest, opposite the Dynasty Tree button), you can see a quick summary of that character's levy size (current and maximum), as well as that of their overlord and any vassals they have.

That levy size will include the "tax" provided by their vassals, unless it's a tribal realm, which works differently.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Even if demesne limit weren't an issue, you shouldn't be holding bishoprics in general bc Christians take big penalties to holding them directly.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

ime with most wars they'll surrender at "99%" anyway, is that different based on the CB?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Randaconda posted:

A pre-Charlemagne date would be nice

You are the devil, from hell.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Agnatic-Cognatic (male-preferential but not male-exclusive) isn't the same as full Cognatic (gender-equal). The latter is only available under certain circumstances, the former should be available to all Christians as far as I'm aware.

MaxieSatan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

In my experience both feudal and republican realms tend towards excessive stability once you get big enough, unless you're actively playing suboptimally. Keeping your vassals sufficiently weak and complacent is trivial with a sufficiently developed demesne, and plots against you become useless once you have enough options for Spymaster.

That's half of why I end up abandoning most games, the other half being "I'm sick of getting spammed with notifications by powerless randos halfway across the map"