Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

They're unlocked by Holy Fury, not the free patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there any way to tell what pagan religions have some of the reforms already baked into them ? I want to make sure I don't waste a slot on something a religion already has.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Don't rest until every barony, county, duchy, kingdom, and empire is held by a descendant of your undying character.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Matrilineal marriage and incest

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Things were going well. I was a well liked ruler with a long reign, I was kind and charitable, I sent gifts to all the elders, and they just would not stop wavering between my candidate (who they deemed to not look fit enough to rule) and the person they ended up giving 4 of my 5 kingdoms to.

I just don't get it. The elder with the lowest opinion of me had me at +63 but my heir had a -1000 modifier for not looking the part but they happily handed over most of the territory to a leper.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Never form titles equal to your highest under eldership unless you mean to give them out right away and they don't have important land in them. Same as any other elective law really.

The elders, tbh, remind me a lot of how elective used to be lol

I only formed the first one, and subjugated my way to getting the rest. I would have loved to use the prestige from making them to build up my realm though.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm playing in Africa and am about to reform the religion. I just have to wait for a ruler to survive long enough to get the 750 piety. I plan on securing all of Africa for my realm, and then trying to put same-religion (hopefully same dynasty, but ya know how that goes) kingdoms neighboring me as buffer states. At that point I'm going to mainly focus on trying to get Africa's economy going, and prepare for the eventual Aztec invasion. I'm wondering what to take as my reformation picks.

For leadership, I'm torn between Temporal and Autonomous. I'd rather have the bonus to stewardship throughout the realm than the leadership powers and authority, but I hear there's issues with eldership succession and the autonomous reform. For the nature, I'm thinking of going with Unyielding. I want Peaceful but I'd rather not have to manually convert every province in Africa myself. For the doctrines, I'm a bit stumped.

Ancestor Veneration is something I want to go with to play around with the saints mechanic, as well as keep eldership. It seems like it'd pair a lot better with Temporal, so that I could be the person who chooses the saints. I want Divine Marriage for bloodline purposes, and Equality so that I can double the amount of people useful to me right away. Astrology would give access to the hermetics, which would be nice for times of peace, as well as just the basic buff from the birth sign.

Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations? Something I overlooked?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think I'm going to go with Unyielding-Temporal-Astrology-Ancestor Veneration. Equality is nice but I can eventually get its mechanics through normal gameplay while the other two introduces new mechanics to mess around with.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I loaded up my ironman Africa game and it stopped being ironman. Any idea what might have caused that?

e: So the tooltip over Achievements Disabled said it was because the game wasn't set to run in ironman and the game rules weren't compatable. That doesn't make sense since the game rules are set before I began playing. I had played with different game rules while showing some stuff off to a friend, so i went and started a new game with ironman rules and ironman enabled. This then set my Africa game back to being ironman with achievements enabled. Weird.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 30, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I keep seeing an event where my options are "pay a lot of gold" or "lose an artifact". It's usually something like "Oh the armory got flooded" or "oh the library got flooded". Is there anything I can do to make this happen less? I've begun hoarding lovely items in the hopes it decreases the chance of it making me choose between 1000 gold or my axe.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

binge crotching posted:

It's related to the rain level in your capital province. Move your capital out of Africa and it'll stop happening

Ah, that sucks that moving is the only solution. I wanted to keep Kanem & Bornu as my primary duchies and try to fill them with castles but I could only afford that if I'm not paying 1000 gold every few years to deal with rain. Guess it's time to take Tunis.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Conquering a soverign state to keep your books from getting wet is pretty much CK2 in a nutshell

Turns out moving the capital doesn't matter. As long as any part of my demense is in sub-Saharan Africa, I'm vulnerable to the event. I moved my capital to Tripolitina and a few months later "Uh oh, flooding in Kano! Pay 750 gold or lose your tier 4 armor!"

This loving sucks. It's just a huge middle finger to owning territory in the area. There's nothing I can do to negate it aside from just not have that territory in my demense? I can solidify my owning over a North African duchy and go from there but that feels more like playing a Mediterranean country that extends into Africa than an African country which goes all the way to the Mediterranean.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 1, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Torrannor posted:

^^e: Perhaps it's hard capped at 1950?

Look around if a mod disables this. If not, just use the console to regain the gold each time.

There was a discussion about this recently. Try to arrange a matrilineal marriage through the diplomacy option, not the ring symbol. You can only marry your daughters to your own courtiers this way, but people reported that this workaround allows matri marriages.

I'm doing an ironman game so I guess I gotta just bear with it. I'm seeding the entire continent with my relatives and as long as I keep eldership succession I can pretty much jump into territory whenever. I can focus on strengthening North Africa first and then save up money so I can lose a bunch of gold while I'm trying to improve the rainy areas.

e: There's another, similar event regarding landslides. The options are "lose a building and some gold", "lose three people and some gold", or "lose a building and some people." It happens a lot less often and involves a choice so it isn't anywhere near as annoying. If the rain ruining my books/armor/etc happened at the same rate as that or gave me what felt like an actual option it'd be a lot less irksome.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 1, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Take their land and DIY

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Even with the new trade stuff down there it's still poor as poo poo, having one of those just lets you wage wars without blowing through your 5 year savings of 50 gold. I'm pretty sure the treasury event scales with income, I don't think I ever had to pay more than 150 gold for it even when I was emperor of the interior and north African coast because my actual income was so low. By that time I had several thousand gold just sitting in my treasury with nothing to spend it on because I'm tribal and had been raiding whenever I wasn't at war with my retinue like a tribal should. Even if for some reason you decide to make a feudal capital in hausaland or wherever you should still have plenty of gold from raiding. I mean everyone sits on 500-1k gold for emergencies right? Especially with the new coronations you never know when you'll need it.

Raiding didn't make me anywhere near as much money as the sub-Saharan trade routes did and I gave up on it as a primary money making method fairly quick. All the areas I could raid via land border were too poor for the raiding to be profitable. Instead I'd raid people right before invading them, and it turns out that made expansion pretty easy. I had the interior subjugated within four rulers and moved onto the exterior of Africa via great holy wars. I had one on the Abassids and one on the Umayayyads, and then both collapsed. So i did a series of regular holy wars to grab the rest of the continent. My vassals are now expanding my realm into Arabia without me so I've got to deal with that before they become too powerful.

My current ruler is kinda lovely outside of their martial so I've had to loan out a few kingdom level viceroyalties. My previous ruler was making 1k+ a year easy. I need to work back towards an unempowered council so I can pass imperial administration to deal with having low dip rulers and their horribly low vassal limits. Just need to get the tech to level 5 (I'm 2/3rds of the way to the purchase cost) and then I'll be good there.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Bloodlines are a social construct and thus they reflect who is believed to be the father. If there is no known father then they inherit all of the mother's bloodlines.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

There's actually a way to see the historical plague exclusion zone in game, it's one of the region toggles. Iceland is one, yes, but so are parts of Africa

I've definitely had the plague sweep through all of Africa in a recentish Africa game. It only happened after I went feudal though.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

e: Actually not a similar issue, but maybe worth trying a flat map mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The pope lifted the excommunication of himself at the request of himself. The pop did not lift the excommunication of himself that was the result of him excommunicating himself.