Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

LifeLynx posted:

I'm pretty sure someone high up at FFG has some sort of cardboard addiction problem, because all of their games involve multiple fiddly little cardboard tokens of various shapes and sizes.

I mean, on some level I get it - at the prelaunch at FFGC there weren't enough tokens to go around so everyone was using dice and it was annoying as hell with all the Capture and Steal mechanics. Plus, having a bunch of components means that you can give out blinged-up versions of those components for prize support (holy cow, have you guys seen those giant metal coaster-sized Key tokens they have?!). But it strikes me as really weird that that's something they need to define in the OP guidelines at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have seen enough dice get knocked over and subsequent debate about what number they were formerly showing that I totally understand why they are against tournament rules.

Hell, Netrunner has plenty of instances of confusion over how many clicks have been taken in a turn, and most players use click trackers for that express purpose. You think they're going to keep an accurate mental map of all their dice?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I don't know why they're trying to push the competitive aspect, the game works well as a casual game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

moush posted:

I don't know why they're trying to push the competitive aspect, the game works well as a casual game.

I didn't really 'get it' until I saw some of the weird OP formats. They have some really cool ideas.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The weird formats are the first thing that's actually caught the interest of any of my Magic addicted friends that loathed Netrunner

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Yeah, I was aware of this game but pretty uninterested until I saw the tournament formats listed in the first post. Now I am kinda on-board.

I still think I'd really prefer to play this digitally though. Seems like a game designed with tablets and microtransactions in mind.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

With the "no dice" rule I'm wondering if I'm going to have to start tracking my opponent's Chains too just to be safe. At the very least I need a better system than a piece of cardboard on a card that could slip.

(Obviously, this is for higher level play, I'm not doing this for the average weekly flgs night.)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

With the "no dice" rule I'm wondering if I'm going to have to start tracking my opponent's Chains too just to be safe. At the very least I need a better system than a piece of cardboard on a card that could slip.

(Obviously, this is for higher level play, I'm not doing this for the average weekly flgs night.)

I think I'm going to 3d print up the Chain ring and a backing piece and put magnets in 'em so they really stick to the chain card, which I'll frame to lift it to the height of the backing piece. I want to do something similar for the Archon card - I played an opponent who was hard of hearing on Saturday and they had us use tokens like that to indicate our chosen House for the turn in such a loud environment. For that one though I can probably just print up some kind of clip, since it's just across the bottom of the card.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
For those of us not fortunate enough to have a 3D printer, does anyone have any pdf's for stuff you'd need if you don't buy the starter decks?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

xutech posted:

Going to a keyforge event in a few hours (Brisbane ~ Australia) and looking forward to it. It will be nice to have a pocket card game to play during breaks between warhams, but without the sinking feeling of meeting someone who is going to drop a leet bullshit deck on you even though you've just finished telling them you're a casual player.

Ah,

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Mayveena posted:

For those of us not fortunate enough to have a 3D printer, does anyone have any pdf's for stuff you'd need if you don't buy the starter decks?

As far as I can tell you don't need anything but the rules, which are free online, and some tokens (two colors, one for amber and one for health). You can use coins or anything you want as Keys themselves.

The starter set also looks like it has some other status card stuff, like mini Stun status cards, but when we played we just flipped the card 180 to represent Stun. Not sure what else is in that mini-card deck though.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I helped my LGS run their demo and we all had a blast. Had no less than 3 people look at the game and say it was trash, then they played the demo and bought 2 decks each. We sold out of product withing like 2 hours of the demo running. Think we ended up playing for like 7 hours that night.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I used large dice to track credits in early Netrunner but honestly I think good tokens are better. Dice can be knocked over and a lot of people don't use dice that you can easily see from across the table. In particular a lot of the Warhammer guys always want to use those d6 cube dice to track things and it never ends well.

Mayveena posted:

On the main FFG Keyforge page it lists everything in the starter.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 12, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What I'm most concerned about is the keys, the chain tracker with token and the power/stun cards. So any help with those, much appreciated!!!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I haven't run into a single thing that required the power cards and I played a lot this weekend.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I WANT THOSE METAL KEYS

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Palemdromes posted:

I haven't run into a single thing that required the power cards and I played a lot this weekend.

Really? Looking back I am realizing that those would have been really helpful for a lot of games I was in.

(But not as helpful as like a stash of cheap green tokens to go with the red and gold ones I already have - or any number of Magic, Pokemon TCG, or other board game +1s I have sitting around).

If Stun really is the only other effect, I think flipping it is really workable with the possible exception of cards that come into play Stunned, in which case you could....turn it diagonal or something for the remainder of the turn phase before it refreshes? Not sure there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Palemdromes posted:

They're very variable. My deck from the preview event has 0 +power things, but some factions use a LOT more, and some specific cards need loads (Mushroom Man, for instance... technically).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The cards in the starter precons have reminder text on some of the abilities. It's worth looking them over to catch some easily-missed rules.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Palemdromes posted:

Then you must not have played against Zyzzix the many.

http://aembertree.com/card/core/207

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

For what it's worth, I run Burger Tokens. We sell Keyforge tokens which have proven quite popular.

We have a 15% off coupon code only for goons over in our marketplace thread located here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867973

That said, we're out of stock until next week because of the huge surge of demand we've gotten. So if you don't mind waiting...

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

agscala posted:

For what it's worth, I run Burger Tokens. We sell Keyforge tokens which have proven quite popular.

We have a 15% off coupon code only for goons over in our marketplace thread located here:

That said, we're out of stock until next week because of the huge surge of demand we've gotten. So if you don't mind waiting...

doing the lords work

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

agscala posted:

If I decide to buy in beyond my prerelease deck I'm definitely hitting you dudes up, I love my x-wing tokens.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
So besides the Farmer of Racism, heres some other amazing randomized names I've seen.

And really, these are the things that should be up on the OP, no?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Not to be a party pooper but I don't think the procedurally generated names are funny.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

Not to be a party pooper but I don't think the procedurally generated names are funny.

Well I guess if you're a 15 year old boy or something.....

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

Hey I just opened an archon deck and it's "Somberbrero, Pooper of Parties" :ffg:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dull Fork posted:

So besides the Farmer of Racism, heres some other amazing randomized names I've seen.

And really, these are the things that should be up on the OP, no?

Either you're in a group that cares and discussion of the topic is upsetting to you and reflects negatively on the game, or you're in the group that values your own enjoyment over the feelings of others. If by some miracle you manage to be neither too sensitive nor insensitive; the discussion that can be had about these things without dragging the thread into the social-issue battle ground amounts to "Lol, look at these wacky names." "Yep, that's a wacky name haha!"

So I made a mention of it in the OP, and by all means feel free to share them, but I'm not going to keep a list of them in the OP.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Somberbrero posted:

Boy status: antagonized

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

There will be one on Reddit

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

xutech posted:

Going to a keyforge event in a few hours (Brisbane ~ Australia) and looking forward to it. It will be nice to have a pocket card game to play during breaks between warhams, but without the sinking feeling of meeting someone who is going to drop a leet bullshit deck on you even though you've just finished telling them you're a casual player.

This is still gonna happen, it's just that instead of deckbuilding it's going to be because your opponent was luckier than you in their choice of random deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ZeroCount posted:

This is still gonna happen, it's just that instead of deckbuilding it's going to be because your opponent was luckier than you in their choice of random deck.

At least you can take comfort in the fact that unless that guy went online and shopped for a good deck; you both spent the same amount on the decks.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

PaybackJack posted:

At least you can take comfort in the fact that unless that guy went online and shopped for a good deck; you both spent the same amount on the decks.

This will absolutely, positively happen.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mugaaz posted:

This will absolutely, positively happen.

It will but you certainly don't need to fear it like you would if you showed up at Friday Night Magic with a preconstruct.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

PaybackJack posted:

It will but you certainly don't need to fear it like you would if you showed up at Friday Night Magic with a preconstruct.

If this game gets even remotely popular, then you will.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mugaaz posted:

If this game gets even remotely popular, then you will.

I really don't think so and here's why:

1) There isn't enough to be competitive about. - At the point at which you'd be wanting to buy a deck to win your local OP you could probably just buy the prizes you wanted. I'm sure there are some assholes who are just competitive for the sake of being competitive and can't lose; but I don't think Keyforge is going to be a game that interests them because there just isn't a big enough ego thrill here.

2)The meta is different everywhere - A deck that wins a big tournament, or months in a row at a local store, that someone decides to resell would still need to be weighed against the meta of the people you're playing against locally. There's no guarantee that the deck they're running is even going to be competitive in your local area against the decks that people have there.

3) Player skill is still going to be the most important factor. - A player that invests his time in wanting to win and getting good at the game is still going to stomp a hole in a one that just fucks around the kitchen table once a month with their friends. Having a good deck in this game is going to be far less important than general game knowledge. 40 wins with a deck could mean the deck is good, but it could also mean the player is good, or maybe just average but plays against casual players that are awful.

4) The tournament scene balances this in various formats. - Many already expect that Sealed is going to be the most popular format, followed by Gauntlet and Adaptive. Potentially only getting to use your deck 1 time over 3 games means that you even if it's good it will still have to survive playing at a handicap in the 3rd game.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

Not to mention that official bring-your-own-deck tournaments will probably register winning decks with the app, which ends up handicapping strong decks the more they win. Sure you may win a few weeks with a strong deck, but afterwards it'll be chained to oblivion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

3) Player skill is still going to be the most important factor. - A player that invests his time in wanting to win and getting good at the game is still going to stomp a hole in a one that just fucks around the kitchen table once a month with their friends. Having a good deck in this game is going to be far less important than general game knowledge. 40 wins with a deck could mean the deck is good, but it could also mean the player is good, or maybe just average but plays against casual players that are awful.

This is the biggest thing. I thought my deck was abject garbage but holy cow I managed to pull off the most ridiculous win last night - against a deck that stomped me all weekend, no less. I just played my cards differently, that Mars house I complained about upthread turned into my greatest asset by far.
The game is so combo-friendly that all decks have some crazy stuff in them just by nature of the cards, it's just a matter of knowing how to best apply it to the game you're in (or whether to ignore it entirely and Reap Reap Reap).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

food court bailiff posted:

I think I'm going to 3d print up the Chain ring and a backing piece and put magnets in 'em so they really stick to the chain card, which I'll frame to lift it to the height of the backing piece. I want to do something similar for the Archon card - I played an opponent who was hard of hearing on Saturday and they had us use tokens like that to indicate our chosen House for the turn in such a loud environment. For that one though I can probably just print up some kind of clip, since it's just across the bottom of the card.

We were at the same event I think, I played her in the second round (lost by one turn for my only loss :( ).

Definitely a big fan of this game so far. We'll see how well it holds my interest but with the various formats I've seen as a possibility I think it'll have legs.

Also I am 100% getting some Burger Tokens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The app will release Thursday and they have described how the app will work. Seems to involve mostly organized play.