Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Here's an Android app that will replace what comes in the starter deck, more or less.

Now I can just buy decks and still be able to track stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Is this game fun or not?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tenacious J posted:

Is this game fun or not?

It's a lot of fun

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Tenacious J posted:

Is this game fun or not?

People seem to love it in general. I did not enjoy it much personally.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mugaaz posted:

People seem to love it in general. I did not enjoy it much personally.

It is certainly not for everyone. If you really enjoy getting into deckbuilding and trying to create the perfect combo and whatnot it's obviously not going to scratch that itch. But I really enjoyed the aspect of "here's your deck, figure it out." I had a few moments where I was getting a little frustrated and then a lightbulb went off and I was able to pull off some plays that left me feeling really good (including one that stole a win by crafting my third key mid-turn while my opponent had me in check).

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

IcePhoenix posted:

It is certainly not for everyone. If you really enjoy getting into deckbuilding and trying to create the perfect combo and whatnot it's obviously not going to scratch that itch. But I really enjoyed the aspect of "here's your deck, figure it out." I had a few moments where I was getting a little frustrated and then a lightbulb went off and I was able to pull off some plays that left me feeling really good (including one that stole a win by crafting my third key mid-turn while my opponent had me in check).

My problem with the game is that it felt like solitaire. I don't even see the need for an opponent. There is some interaction, but I found the interaction isnt realtime like in MtG. The interaction felt more like HS when playing around a trap. If my opponent was replaced with AI the experience wouldn't feel much different. Game didn't seem to place much important on bluffing, hand reading, knowing what your opponent was playing, etc. It was there, just heavily muted compared to other game I prefer.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Opened a couple decks tonight, pretty happy with them overall. I might buy a couple more down the line, but I'm really excited to play with these.

One of my decks had a Special Symbol rarity card. It seems... mildly useful?

While searching for that I found that it's actually part of a set, there are Masters 1-3. Cool.

Giant Sloth, on the other hand, seems absolutely crazytown bonkers. That's a huge, immediate threat. Even getting that ability off once is enough to swing a game. If your opponent doesn't have any immediate answer it's going to be a quick game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Somberbrero posted:

Opened a couple decks tonight, pretty happy with them overall. I might buy a couple more down the line, but I'm really excited to play with these.

One of my decks had a Special Symbol rarity card. It seems... mildly useful?

While searching for that I found that it's actually part of a set, there are Masters 1-3. Cool.

Giant Sloth, on the other hand, seems absolutely crazytown bonkers. That's a huge, immediate threat. Even getting that ability off once is enough to swing a game. If your opponent doesn't have any immediate answer it's going to be a quick game.

If you have a card with a special symbol like that it means it's linked, yeah. Cards like that always come with the full set. The most popular example would be Sanctum's Four Horseman. I think how it works is that only one card from the set is in the pool but if it gets placed by the algorithm then the rest of the set is filled in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

IcePhoenix posted:

If you have a card with a special symbol like that it means it's linked, yeah. Cards like that always come with the full set. The most popular example would be Sanctum's Four Horseman. I think how it works is that only one card from the set is in the pool but if it gets placed by the algorithm then the rest of the set is filled in.

Are you saying I should have all three Masters? Because I don't :(

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's probably linked to something else in your deck then. I thought you were saying you had all three, sorry.

Do you have the untamed card that lets you put all Niffle cards back in your hand from your discard and in play? Because that would be nasty with that sloth and those three Niffle cards.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

IcePhoenix posted:

It's probably linked to something else in your deck then. I thought you were saying you had all three, sorry.

Do you have the untamed card that lets you put all Niffle cards back in your hand from your discard and in play? Because that would be nasty with that sloth and those three Niffle cards.

I don't but that sounds pretty bonkers, I've already seen some great recursion out of Untamed. I'll have to add that card to my deck~

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

Are you saying I should have all three Masters? Because I don't :(

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding!

Hey just a heads up, you probably want to remove the image showing your QR code and deck number, someone else might register it on the app.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm pretty sure Master of X is linked to having X Imps, either Dust or Ember, so if you only have 1, Master of 1 might show up, and so on.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mugaaz posted:

My problem with the game is that it felt like solitaire. I don't even see the need for an opponent. There is some interaction, but I found the interaction isnt realtime like in MtG. The interaction felt more like HS when playing around a trap. If my opponent was replaced with AI the experience wouldn't feel much different. Game didn't seem to place much important on bluffing, hand reading, knowing what your opponent was playing, etc. It was there, just heavily muted compared to other game I prefer.

This is a fair criticism. I hate a lot of Euro board games for the same reason. It doesn't make them bad games and gives me more hope for app/AI implentation.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Android app is out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

Agree with Payback Jack. It's certainly a fair criticism. But after five years of OTK Hearthstone and playing against decks that completely stop any kind of interaction (Rogue) I'm looking for something a little calmer. I'm also looking to play against different decks. The Hearthstone team declares success when there's more than 4 meta decks. I find it boring. I don't know how the MtG standard constructed meta has worked out but if it's like HS, it's endless netdecking. And no, I have no interest in drafting (which in HS at least has its own meta).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The page is live and you can search decks.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yay my deck is registered! Bring on the release event this weekend!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mayveena posted:

Agree with Payback Jack. It's certainly a fair criticism. But after five years of OTK Hearthstone and playing against decks that completely stop any kind of interaction (Rogue) I'm looking for something a little calmer. I'm also looking to play against different decks. The Hearthstone team declares success when there's more than 4 meta decks. I find it boring. I don't know how the MtG standard constructed meta has worked out but if it's like HS, it's endless netdecking. And no, I have no interest in drafting (which in HS at least has its own meta).

Considering the old Magic the Gathering video game, made by Microprose was updated by fans to have better AI and decision making and could play well enough to make simple plays like counterspelling and doing things based off of triggers, it's not like Magic itself is some sort of paragon of interactivity that only a human could do. There's back and forth but honestly the game in regards to this is Doomtown.

Also my local distributor is having a release event...from 1pm to 5pm on a Thursday. :wtc:

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 15, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah having release events on Thursday is certainly WTF.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mayveena posted:

Just checked, my local game store has one from 6:30-10pm on Thursday (today), then another on Saturday 2-5:30. I don't know if it's a continuation or two separate events or what. I don't plan on going, I've got too much going on this week, but it could be interesting.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mayveena posted:

I don't mind the day, it's the time in combination with the day. It's being held at the biggest University here too which is cool but since it's a Thursday a lot of students are going to have a class somewhere in that time frame. It's almost my entire work day. Why they didn't schedule it after 5pm instead is just...odd.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FFGC is having an event today but also a separate one on Saturday for the people that can't do weeknights.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/820f3b19-d8d0-479f-a02a-96122d35d9fe

This deck :eyepop:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

What about it? It seem pretty average to look at it. Though that's the first time I've seen The Common Cold's text it's amazing :D

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

thespaceinvader posted:

What about it? It seem pretty average to look at it. Though that's the first time I've seen The Common Cold's text it's amazing :D

Looks pretty good to me :shrug: Lots of control.

Also I hadn't seen a deck with that many rares before.

Plus that name is excellent.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was unable to get any decks at my stores launch on Saturday, they got in 14 packs and the distributor was unwilling to send more. So the store owner made up "goodie bags" of amber-colored beads and a coupon for $2 off a deck or starter on launch. The game seemed interesting, but the person who explained it to us missed some key rules that we realized after (like being able to reap).

Does the starter include 2 premade decks and 2 random decks, or just the 2 premade ones? If it's the 4 decks, then that kind of justifies the cost (sure you know what two of the decks are, but that's not necessarily a bad thing).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Looks pretty good to me :shrug: Lots of control.

Also I hadn't seen a deck with that many rares before.

Plus that name is excellent.

One thing that's VERY clear to me in Keyforge is that rares are not necessarily powerful. Some of the strongest cards are common.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

thespaceinvader posted:

One thing that's VERY clear to me in Keyforge is that rares are not necessarily powerful. Some of the strongest cards are common.

Fair point. I haven't played CCGs (which this sort of falls under) in a long time so I'm still getting used to what is and isn't powerful.

Anyway, this is my new favorite deck

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/3c3c4d8c-8fb6-4465-bdee-4120bdf62592

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Randalor posted:

Does the starter include 2 premade decks and 2 random decks, or just the 2 premade ones? If it's the 4 decks, then that kind of justifies the cost (sure you know what two of the decks are, but that's not necessarily a bad thing).

It includes the 4. I hope the premade ones are well-made with new players in mind, as trying to learn all the keywords on our prerelease decks on the fly was a little difficult.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Context posted:

It includes the 4. I hope the premade ones are well-made with new players in mind, as trying to learn all the keywords on our prerelease decks on the fly was a little difficult.

I've read that the learning decks have lots of keyword reminder text.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

frameset posted:

I've read that the learning decks have lots of keyword reminder text.

Keyword reminder text appears almost every time the keywords appear, regardless of deck. Exceptions are cards with 2+ keywords AND a separate non-keyword ability.

My favourite deck I've seen so far is The Boy Who Basically Headbutts Heaven.

I almost don't care what's in it, I want it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I laughed at the idea of a secondary market for this. Until I saw this.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/267828?fbclid=IwAR2HDE2f8OLNFF1HwheFQ79qUFvzJAL2be4zQicSh9GJWhg2UbOfBlbMt_A

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Like, just glancing at the decklist, it looks cool, but nobody'll pay $200 for it.

I hope.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

As soon as they start tracking wins and losses it's going to be a huge secondary market (assuming the game takes off). The only question is where most of it will be located, in ebay or a specialty website.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Report: the new card smell is different than lcg/mtg cards. I disapprove.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I stopped by my flgs and all of the Starter boxes were already preordered but they had tons of decks for sale so I picked up four.

It's killing me to not open them all immediately, maybe one to tide me over until we play on Saturday.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
My FLGS had zero. :(

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I got my starter and an extra deck after work tonight. I opened Khan Dapelman Undertaker, Guardian Judas Rivenvarius and O. Svendsen, The Colosseum Madman. I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend if I go to my store's launch event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I hopped on Alliance to order some more starters for my store since we sold out of our 8 today, and they're completely out of stock. Thanks Fantasy Flight.