Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I kinda stopped playing around the time the second set released. I went to my local launch event for it and had a blast, but was a bit burnt out on the first set by then from having played a ton online. Was looking forward to playing the second set online, but there was a big delay before it was implemented so I kind of lost interest. I wasn't able to regularly go to in-person events at the time, so online was how I got most of my enjoyment out of the game, so when that got sidetracked I just wound up losing interest to other things, telling myself I'd check in periodically to see if online got caught up.

Actually thinking about it, I kinda want to get back in now, since there are more sets and thus way more cards to experience. Is the Crucible scene still alive and kicking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

I kinda stopped playing around the time the second set released. I went to my local launch event for it and had a blast, but was a bit burnt out on the first set by then from having played a ton online. Was looking forward to playing the second set online, but there was a big delay before it was implemented so I kind of lost interest. I wasn't able to regularly go to in-person events at the time, so online was how I got most of my enjoyment out of the game, so when that got sidetracked I just wound up losing interest to other things, telling myself I'd check in periodically to see if online got caught up.

Actually thinking about it, I kinda want to get back in now, since there are more sets and thus way more cards to experience. Is the Crucible scene still alive and kicking?

Yeah, but there's a major hurdle with implementing the new set. Random cards can be enhanced by other cards and the API doesn't mark that so who knows when it will be up.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Unless FFG changes that, I don't see how they could possibly do it - short of implemtning some psuedo-manual "Does this card have a Bonus Pip?" prompt and then if you click Yes then choose what action (Aember, Capture, Damage etc) from a list, and base this off the Honor System. Which sounds terribad for anything that isn't just playing with IRL friends.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm really sad that the game doesn't have an official online client cus hoo boy it would be perfect for it. Tie it in with the official crucible site for tracking deck stats! Be able to order irl versions of decks you open in-game! etc. Although I suppose the game probably isn't popular enough to justify that. :sigh:

Although frankly I'm surprised that the QR codes don't register card randomizations, seems it'd be easy enough to implement. I'd be surprised if they didn't future-proof it in that way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Here's an example:

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/103d7711-318a-4029-9bce-3028c2e31df1

Enhanced cards are highlighted in Blue, but they don't show what the enhancement is

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
FFG Twitch

MM Showcase, some minor rule changes and a recognition of the team working on adding the info to the API. No firm info though so who knows when.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's cool that they acknowledged it, at least! Gives hope for an official online client, too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sab669 posted:

That's cool that they acknowledged it, at least! Gives hope for an official online client, too.

They shuttered that entire division of FFG.

They could outsource it or license it but I’d imagine they just let TCO do its thing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

From their recent Twitch stream:

Nerds at FFG posted:

A question about KeyForge online from Twitch chat;

It's something we don't have to share about that right now at this moment, but it's something that's very very present in our mind, something we're thinking about so Stay Tuned is all I can say for now.

:shrug:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I sincerely hope they do it, I just don't have a ton of faith in FFG getting that done tbh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I'd love something with the polish of Hearthstone but that seems like asking for too much from a company this size.

I don't have my headphones at work today so it's hard for me to click through the Twitch video but according to a friend later in the video they're explicitly asked about fixing master Vault to show Enhancements, so if they can do that then at least TCO will be able to implement MM fully

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think they could have made a killing with a combination of in game drafting + print on demand stuff. Spilt the pool of decks into online and printed so there's no overlap. Printed decks cost $8 and online decks cost $2 with an option to pay $10 to get the deck printed on demand and shipped to you. Printed deck codes register the deck online and the game is f2p outside of buying decks, but you can earn online currency that can get you a deck for free over X number of days or pay your way into events where you compete with other players to potentially win more currency.

The first time I saw the game I assumed a digital roll out of some sort was on the horizon.

A digital version of the game would also solve the problem I have which is not being able to play with locals because they use the Chinese editions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://twitch.tv/668017570

OK I found the actual time stamp; sounds pretty non-committal, but still "stay tuned" :shrug:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can’t imagine they’d tease it if they weren’t actually working on something. Whether that something ever sees the light of day is an entirely different thing.

It seems like a pretty big cost to take on initially and FFG’s ownership seems totally counter to anything like that right now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, when if ever is the real question.

I do agree it's expensive, but there's nearly 2 million decks *registered*, never mind all the sold decks that didn't register. I could see them being committed to keeping this game 'funded' after they consolidated a lot earlier last year.

If and when they ever crack down on TCO, then we'll know an official client is coming :v: Either way, I'm excited to pick up my box this Friday. A local store posted they're starting events again on FB but that seems like a bad idea to me (I'm in NYS, and while things are looking pretty good, why poke the bear)

I'll play with a singular friend of mine who I know how he's been isolating, but I'm not going to hang out in a random shop.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sweet - Deusilius in one deck, and 2 Mavericks in 2 other decks in my box.

Sadly none of the Seven Deadly Sins in Dis, but oh well. Meeting up with a buddy to get a few games in tomorrow :toot:

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Asmodee hosed up with most of the California stores around here. My local one ordered 5 boxes and got 5 premium decks lol. Hopefully will have mine tomorrow if Asmodee actually overnighted them like they said.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
despite the game being dead here i bought a box today, i’m not even sure what cards are good

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
One of my local stores was going to have a launch event today but no cards came.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I got my display box in the mail today. I ordered through Covenant.

Looks like the distribution in the boxes might have the same issues as before because 11/12 decks had Untamed.

Got two Niffle Kong decks though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mine had a pretty normal distribution; slightly higher Shadows / low on Star Alliance, but otherwise...

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
I'm running a tournament for local folks at the store I'm involved with. Crucible Online now has a dev server where you can play MM. It works pretty well, but caught a couple minor bugs.

Bought a display box, no big bois yet.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
We've gotten one so far in our box, a Niffle Kong. Set is fun so far, aember counts get super high and there's a ton of capture with the bonus icons.

My friend pulled a legacy TMTP with an awesome shadows lineup. I should have switched the box I dropped of for him.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK so The Crucible Online ended up just implementing a system where they know which cards have Enhancements, and they know what Enhancements your deck has in total but you just allocate the correct enhancement to the correct card after Importing your deck.

They even generate the correct image for the card art:

It's not a perfect platform, but drat I'm impressed with these guys.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's good, keyforge isn't dead online anymore

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FFG is apparently already announcing the next set tonight? And will have a gameplay stream this Saturday? I guess Covid delayed the release for MM which is throwing things off, but it seems pretty premature to announce the next set in the same month that one set just came out...

Do you guys foresee them ever removing Enhancements from a set? I think it's great fun so far and I think I'd be happy for it to remain pretty permanent. It's not well rated, but I'm especially enjoying this deck Blade, Orange Center Naturalist which has 10 Damage Enhancements and 3 Seeker Needles. It's fun to play against Logos/Shadows decks with weak creatures, but gets creamed by Sanctum-Saurian decks.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10qOUFfWU4g&t=1036s

Fishmans and Evil Twin decks. Dis is out surprisingly since the Unfathomable fill the control niche.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sab669 posted:

FFG is apparently already announcing the next set tonight? And will have a gameplay stream this Saturday? I guess Covid delayed the release for MM which is throwing things off, but it seems pretty premature to announce the next set in the same month that one set just came out...

Do you guys foresee them ever removing Enhancements from a set? I think it's great fun so far and I think I'd be happy for it to remain pretty permanent. It's not well rated, but I'm especially enjoying this deck Blade, Orange Center Naturalist which has 10 Damage Enhancements and 3 Seeker Needles. It's fun to play against Logos/Shadows decks with weak creatures, but gets creamed by Sanctum-Saurian decks.

I believe they said it’s coming out in February.

I’m sure it’s far in development since it was supposed to be an early November release.

It’s weird to announce this soon after MM but I get it given everything going on.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I saw February quoted on Reddit after I made that post. And you're right it's definitely been in development for a while. In fact on a recent CrucibleCast I think they said they're currently working on Set #7.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The tide mechanic seems lovely if you’re playing an older deck

Ditto_Face
Aug 19, 2020
Used to run weekly Keyforge at RIW Hobbies and Games, just played the newest set for the first time last week, and can absolutely confirm that Rad Penny with three damage mutations is insane.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm half way through my first game of Dark Tidings, and my hot take is... gently caress eating 3 chains to turn the tide. That is not a fun way to slow the game down at all.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Only one game but I definitely needed to eat the chains because my opponent's unfathomable board was nuts and I needed the nerf to them. I'm kind of glad chains are being a bit more utilized in this set but I can see not liking it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea it felt like an under used mechanic. I played 2 games with my buddy, was at like 10 chains at one point because so often I just need to hit the Tide.

Incidentally I won both games, but drawing fewer cards is never fun.

Was just playing on TCO with random decks off the internet. I'll probably still buy a box of decks when it finally comes out in the US because I'm a consumer whore 🙃

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keyforge is…not back…in any form. Yet.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/9/10/down-but-not-out/

tl;dr: the game is not dead, but is undergoing a hiatus to rebuild the algorithm. Next set is already finished and will be part of relaunch which I assume means an advertising campaign and maybe some large events at stores. A digital version is in development.

Speculation is either incompetence or a disgruntled employee nuking the algorithm. I think while there may have been a problem, the pandemic is the more pressing concern and better to wait and see how things look next year and have a big event rather than just release another set that won’t be played by as many people.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

Keyforge is…not back…in any form. Yet.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/9/10/down-but-not-out/

tl;dr: the game is not dead, but is undergoing a hiatus to rebuild the algorithm. Next set is already finished and will be part of relaunch which I assume means an advertising campaign and maybe some large events at stores. A digital version is in development.

Speculation is either incompetence or a disgruntled employee nuking the algorithm. I think while there may have been a problem, the pandemic is the more pressing concern and better to wait and see how things look next year and have a big event rather than just release another set that won’t be played by as many people.

lmao the loving algorithm broke. That's baffling to me how it happened to the point where it can't be recovered. I wonder if they ran into some logistics issue where the previous algorithm just "ran out" of decks, or hit some other kind of soft lock that meant it was unusable without being rebuilt entirely.

On the plus side, an official digital version is dope. It seems perfect for the game, being able to just generate a new deck on-demand with some hard currency.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

The current rumor going around is the dev who made the algorithm left, and as part of that the code was lost/deleted/inaccessible.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The scuttlebutt is it happened as a result of shutting down Fantasy Flight Interactive, either be it a malicious employee breaking or it as a middle finger to upper management, or just something wasn’t caught or fixed in time when employees were on their way out because they didn’t care anymore.

I still think it has more to do with wanting to give the game a big post-pandemic event to reinvigorate sales, and the algorithm is an excuse to sit and wait. Better to sit and wait rather than have a big relaunch only for the Tau variant or whatever to take the wind out of your sails.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm optimistic with the next set being pretty much done except for deck generation we'll at least see that released. The new art director said the staff are optimistic as well that they won't just drop the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Keyforge died in my area before the pandemic because of lack of any genuine OP support.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in playing more keyforge the sixth season of the online Keyforge league will be getting underway soon. The format is each matchup, players will pick one deck they’ll play in a best of three matchup. Regardless whether players win or lose, at the conclusion of their matchup players will ban a deck from their opponent’s available deck pool, and that deck cannot be played the rest of the season. Deck availability will not reset for the Top Cut.

Go here for more info: https://australiankeyforgeleague.com/