Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Picked up one deck each for my gf and I since our game shop was also sold out on starters, used tokens from Netrunner (:rip:) and they worked just fine.

There's some weird poo poo in this game, I kind of love it. Her deck was mostly about blowing poo poo up and getting amber while doing so, so she almost never had any creatures out - which made a lot of my cards (which gained bonuses on fighting) worthless, since there was nothing to fight. However, I had some cards that gain bonuses when healing so I used some direct damage cards on my own units in order to heal them up for other bonuses. Eventually I wound up with four dudes out at once that contained a built-in heal engine, and her nukes couldn't keep up with me reaping 4 times every turn and I snagged the win. Game is real good.

Only thing I don't understand is the card Tunk, which is originally a Mars creature but I got it out of faction? Anyways, it gains an effect when I play other Mars creatures, which my deck contains none of. Feels a little weird that they didn't change the card's text to match its current house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp, I guess a 6/1 isn't the worst thing in the world, especially considering the deck likes fighting quite a bit. Still a little disappointing, but whatever, more reason to buy more decks :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I remember some people here trying to figure out what they’d do about chains, and this etsy page has the best idea I’ve seen for tracking them so far - a dial. The keys on this page are also some of the nicest custom keys I’ve seen. the other tokens are alright but nothing to really write home about, except maybe the armor tokens since armor seems like something easy to lose track of and why did FFG not include them in the first place?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes, power = attack damage and life

Does this mean if a creature takes 2 damage and then fights next turn, it’ll deal 2 less damage?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mayveena posted:

No, which is why you don't want to think of it as life. All damage is NOT cleared at the end of the turn and becoming damaged does not reduce the amount of power the creature exerts during a turn.

E: fixed, apologies.

Okay cool I thought that was how it worked, just got confused by "Yes, power = attack damage and life" since my brain made that believe that they were all tied together - like if you lose life, you lose attack damage.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, quesiton on Skirmish - does it mean that creature doesn’t take damage when you attack with it, or whenever it fights? The specific wording in the rulebook is “When a creature with the skirmish keyword is used to fight, it takes no damage from the opposing creature when the damage from the fight is dealt.” (emphasis mine) - the “used to fight” text feels like it could be interpreted either way. If it said “used to attack” that would be pretty clear, but “used to fight” could either mean “used in a fight at all” or “used to initiate a fight”

ZorajitZorajit posted:

While there's little control over when a player has access to it, one impression I got last night was that Capture is not a great mechanic? The couple Sanctum decks I saw made some use of it. Notable examples being Raiding Night which Captures 1 on play and an action that Captures 3. Unlike Steal, which Shadow seems to have lots of access to, you can't then spend the aember snagged with Capture. And it seems to appear at fairly similar values and frequency. Plus, it makes one of your creatures a target with a bounty for something your opponent already wants to do.

Am I missing something about this keyword, or maybe just didn't see a card that really capitalized on it?

Yeah it mostly seems to be a tempo play. You can do it to force your opponent to slow down quite a bit, especially if you can protect that creature (armor, healing, taunt, etc).

It also has the obvious use of “oh god my opponent’s about to win, i need to slow them down ASAP” but that seems more niche.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, I’ve seen lots of people talking about how goofy their deck names are, but how about how your decks actually play? I’m more interested in hearing about the cool combos and playstyles people have found in their decks.

My deck, while probably nothing special, is fun in that a lot of it is fairly defensive, but also enjoys fighting. There’s a fair amount of healing and armor, combined with some direct nukes to make it very hard to get rid of your dudes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Played my first tournament (of any game, ever) and it was a small 3 round swiss one at my FLGS. Got a fun deck of shadow, Mars, and sanctum with the hilarious Bad Penny + Seeker Needle combo and a shitload of artifact control (2 artifact destruction, one repeatable artifact bounce, and a creature with reap: use an opponent's artifact). Went 1-2 with it, but the two losses were very close - the first was decided via tiebreaker, and I would have won had I gotten one more turn (since I would have forged my last key). The second loss was due to my opponent stealing a whopping 6 amber in a single turn, going from 5 to 11, blocking me from forging the game-winning key and putting himself so far ahead I couldn't slow him down in time. Things I learned: while it's fun to play control cards like Miasma, Deep Probe, and Etherspider early on to gain a big lead, it might be better to save them for later to prevent a win to eke out a few more turns.

I also got Key of Darkness (Shadow Action Card: forge a key at +6 current cost. If the opponent has 0 amber, forge a key at +2 cost instead) which looks real cool but is near useless in the deck. There's only one source of amber burst generation, and it's in Sanctum (cleansing wave) - otherwise I need to build up a big shadow play in order to steal like 3 or 4 amber in a single turn in order to pull it off. Which isn't super duper hard, but the deck seems to rely on Shadows as the real workhorse, as Mars is mostly there for creature removal (there's tons of damage, both single-target and widespread. it does have a few creatures that are okay, but nothing amazing) and sanctum is mostly just there for support. So it's hard to build up that big shadow turn, since I need to keep shadows on the field to do work, and thus they're hard to keep out long enough for a big wombo combo Key of Darkness. Oh well, deck is still a ton of fun.

Things I'm not sure on: whether it's better to play a few moderate turns to maintain board presence, or play a few weak turns to save up for one big one. Like, play 3 good cards across 3 turns, or play 2 turns of weak cards and then one turn of all 3 good cards? My gut says to play 3 cards across 3 turns so you can use some of them as the turns go on, but then I suppose you leave them vulnerable for the opponent to counteract them, whereas dropping all three at once might be too much to handle. I dunno!

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 19, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaybackJack posted:

What is good discussion though is card chat! I'd definitely like to hear what people think are other powerful cards and maybe try to form a top five for each faction to put in the OP as a quick reference for people when they crack a deck to look for.

I nominate One Last Job. Shadows Action Card: Play: Purge each friendly Shadows creature. Steal 1 aember for each creature purged this way. If you have a few urchins, it’s super easy to drop them and then purge them. Even a single Urchin into One Last Job steals 2 amber and gets you 1 extra, which is a 5 amber swing. If you already have some other stealing tools on the board, you can increase that gap even further. I was on 8 amber with two keys forged against an opponent with 4 amber and 1 key, I was absolutely sure I had the game in the bag, since he had like two creatures on the board. He dropped four shadow creatures (two of which were urchins) and then One Last Jobbed, which stole a total of six amber from me and earned him 7. Suddenly he's at 11 amber and I'm at 2, and I couldn't keep him from easily winning the game. It's a MASSIVE swing tool.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 19, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CirclMastr posted:

I have a deck with a really fun card whose name I forget, but it's an artifact that makes every creature discarded from play get purged. The deck doesn't actually win, but it's hilarious to reshuffle my discard pile, draw to a hand of 6, and have 5 cards left in my deck afterward.

EDIT: Here it is, The Composed Footman (assuming this link works, I'm phone posting from the airport).

I mean, if you can make those 11 cards into a real good combo, then that would actually be really strong - you could just repeat that power turn over and over. Not sure if it's possible with that deck, but I imagine it might be something you could do with some combination of cards.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Granted I haven't played that deck, but if you have THAT many creatures couldn't you spend most of your time reaping? It looks like there's a decent amount of support in there for playing a lot of creatures. I would suspect enough to power through even board wipes, especially considering there's also a decent amount of discard retrieval.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

WildZeo posted:

My opponent had so much amber generation they'd generated enough to forge all 3 keys by wiping my board repeatedly before I could reap anything in the first game. The second I managed to reap 4 which they then stole before clearing my board again. They weren't always destroying my creatures but repeatedly making me shuffle the strongest back into my deck after dispatching the weaker ones. I'm sure after more games I'll learn to use the deck better but those first games felt kind of hopeless but it was just a really bad matchup.

Honestly any deck that can generate tons of amber by just wiping the board and bouncing creatures repeatedly just sounds really fuckin' good in general, so yeah that does sound rough.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The crucible is a cool site to play keyforge online, but on the other hand I think people are starting to netdeck the best ones, cus I just went up against a four horsemen + niffle queen + 4 niffle apes deck. Oh, it also had two Dust Pixies, because of course it did.

e: Although the person who used it claimed to have it irl, but holy moly was it hard to deal with and one of the best decks I've seen.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Just stupid amounts of board control while still generating a lot of amber naturally. Jesus.

Yuuuuup. It's easily the best deck I've ever seen. It just has so many creatures that it's almost impossible to stop it - I wiped the board 2 or 3 times and there was just more and more stuff. He dropped Hunting Witch and both Dust Pixies for loving 6 amber instantly.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah Dextre doesn't seem great. Capture is nice but him clogging up your draws could definitely be more of a detriment than not.

While it's got great art, I think that Key of Darkness is pretty bad. It's an objectively worse version of Key Charge or Chota Hazri. Very rarely will a player ever be on 0 aember even early on, and forging a key for 12 is just awful even if it's mid-turn. The only houses that would be able to steal / remove 7+ aember in a single turn would probably make it impossible to even get to 12 aember in the first place, the only time it's really useful is to steal a bunch of aember just after an opponent forged so you can actually get them down to 0, then to forge yourself with the key. But that's such a niche use and requires a fair bit of setup (you need to have enough aember to reach 8+ after stealing, AND have all the cards necessary to steal that much, AND the opponent needs to be low on aember, AND you need key of Darkness in your hand). At least with Dextre maybe you can get some reaps out of him or delay a key forging for a turn, but in almost a dozen games, I've never once gotten into a situation where I can play Key of Darkness. I just consider it a free discard whenever I draw it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

UltraRed posted:

What are the "special" rarity cards, what do they do and why do they exist?

Those are cards that have to be included because another card relies on them / synergizes with them specifically.

For example, there's a rare card called Time traveler (2 power Logos creature, play: draw 2, action: shuffle time traveler into your deck). If you get Time Traveler as one of your deck's cards, then you will ALWAYS get the special rarity card Help From Future Self (Logos action, play: Search your deck and discard pile for a Timetraveller, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your discard pile into your deck) no matter what.

This helps ensure that you will never get one card without the other. The Four Horsemen work the same way - if you get one, you will always get the other three. If you were to get two Time travelers in your deck, you'd also get two Help From Future Self cards.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

I don't know much about that ADHD deck analyzer tool, but keyforge-compendium.com ranks that deck I linked yesterday like so:

I'm not exactly sure what the numbers are supposed to represent?

But yea, 11/36 of the cards Give an Amber just for playing it. A good number of them also Steal. Very easy to combo things like Nerve Blast or Poison Wave with Finishing Blow for some big Amber swings.

I'm 4/0 with the deck so far, although 2 of the games were against the same opponent.

I'm also not sure how "accurate" that deck analyzer is, but the numbers are an arbitrary value that cards are given in those fields. The numbers to pay attention to in theory are the ones in parentheses, since those are compared to data from a few thousand other decks. The numbers are just set by the creator as far as I know, so take them with a grain of salt. While it is debatable how accurate the scores are for any given card, you can theoretically compare your deck to the average using the parenthetical numbers.

That being said, it can't take into account card combos or synergies, so take the analysis with an even larger grain of salt.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

agscala posted:

For what it's worth, you guys should check out the deck analyzer I put together:

https://burgertokens.com/pages/keyforge-deck-analyzer

It's very unopinionated-- it really just gives you a breakdown of the various types of cards in your deck.

This analyzer rules and is much more consistent than the ADHD one, since it only shows where your deck sits in relation to others.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

UltraRed posted:

Does amber that is captured on a creature always go into the controlling creature's opponent's amber pool, or to where it was originally taken from? If I use blood money and then kill the creature, does it go "home" to the creature's controller, or into my amber pool? What about if I lose control of a creature I've been capturing amber with? Does killing it go into my pool, or back to my opponent's?

Captured amber always goes to the opponent of the creature. If Player A gains control of Player B's creature that's captured amber, then Player B kills that creature, Player B gets the amber.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaybackJack posted:

The fact that they are separate sentences makes me think you can resolve one and not the other even if the "target" is defined in the former otherwise why not word it is "use and artifact...then destroy it."

We also don't have a definitive ruling on abilities that create potentially illegal interactions like this for example: Scout says "Play: For the remainder of the turn, up to 2 friendly creatures gain skirmish. Then, fight with those creatures one at a time." looking at every other card that causes a creature to fight; they all specifically ready the creature first. However, since Scout doesn't say ready them, it would be presumed that you couldn't choose a creature to fight that wasn't ready, but the "Golden Rule" would tell you that since the card says "Fight with those creatures" you'd fight with them even if they were exhausted. The rulebook states that a player may "fight" with any ready creature of the chosen house, but in this instance people assume that Scout breaks the "house" rule but not the "exhausted" rule.

So if you assume you can activate an artifact of a different house because the targeting and activation breaks the house rule, there isn't really a reason to assume it can't also break the "using an artifact rule" as defined by the rulebook.

I would assume it would break both rules. It tells you to fight with them, it doesn't say "you may fight with them if able" or something. But as the poster just above me assumes the opposite, who knows!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
In today’s edition of "what": [url=https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/1e6c2cbd-5fe6-4edf-8546-5d6ed99dfd0a]a deck with a maverick Pitlord./[url] Aka, Playing him forces you to choose Dis, when you have no Dis cards in the deck.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaybackJack posted:

My box of decks came in the mail today!

Cracked one and got this lovely person.

Can't wait to play and I'm so tempted to crack all the decks and play!

Oh my loving god, that Shadows set up.

Reap with Bad Penny, Seeker Needle her twice, Relentless Whispers her twice, that’s goddamn 7 amber, 2 of which is stolen.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

How are you getting seven from that?

1 amber from reaping with bad penny, 2 from killing her with two seeker needles, 2 from playing two Relentless whispers, each of which steals 1 because they each also kill Bad Penny. 7 amber! Granted it’s a bit combo-heavy, but still that’s pretty rad and doesn’t require a shitton of setup.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Zyzzix The Many is one of my favorite theme cards. Just body snatchin' everything.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just went up against this monstrosity and it was probably the least fun I've ever had playing Keyforge. loving FOUR copies of Routine Job and two Flame-Wreathed (which my opponent put on a Snudge). Almost a third of the cards in the deck involve stealing amber, and almost all the rest are all control cards in some shape or form. There's also enough Key Cost+ cards to make the opponent's keys require 6 additional amber in order to forge. It's disgusting with the deck that can steal SO MUCH amber.

God that was a slog. While stealing can be really fun, I feel like it's either a bit too prevalent or a bit too powerful at this point.

More content and less bitching: I cracked open this deck for christmas, and while it's not astounding it's pretty fun, as it's got Reverse Time with a ton of amber generation - two Dew Faeries and two Dust Pixies. Its Mars suite is also rad, with two Squawkers, a Soft Landing, a John Smyth, and two Ulyq Megamouths, you can set up hilarious turns where you can use creatures a billion times.

Don't run into the trap that I did of spamming Reverse Time over and over whenever possible, and ending up with nothing but the same garbage that you cycle through over and over and over.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 27, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't like Bait and Switch. At least on The Crucible, you have no idea if any given shadows deck will have it or not, so you need to play around it. Except there isn't any easy way to play around it - either you keep your amber amounts low, and then your opponent steals them and puts you super far behind, or you go all-out and try to stay ahead, then they BaS and it's all gone. Pretty sure I've lost several games based on that card being played a single time. Any tips on how to play around it?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaybackJack posted:

Here's what I think are the 5 most powerful cards, without thinking too much about the order:

1) Bait and Switch - As mentioned can create tremendous swings of Aember, probably never gets played at less than a +2/-2.

2/3) Key Charge / Chota Kazri Anything that can create a Key outside the "Forge a Key" step is great and these two are in faction with some very strong amber generation cards and regrowth/seed so there's lots of ways to lower that threshold.

4) Speed Sigil - Amber generation can be really hard for some decks and simply being able to drop a creature and reap every turn can be huge. It allows you to make use of many cards from Logos, Mars, and Shadows that would normally be very vulnerable to getting popped on your opponents turn.

5) Nepenthe Seed - Effectively play your best card again.

Agreed for the most part. Key to Darkness is a pretty iffy key forging card, and I've yet to get a ton of use out of Speed Sigil. Maybe I need to play with it more, but it tends to just as often help the opponent as it does me. I've only played a few games with it, but it tends to lose me more games than it wins.

E: similar problem with Soul Snatcher. It helps the opponent out just as much as it does you, unless you have a deck with lots of creatures but don't really want to fight, and the opponent's deck doesn't have a ton of creatures itself.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 29, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Library access is a card that always feels insane to play.

Yeah, it's super strong. I'd love it in a deck that has consistent archive tools, lock away one house in archives and then play a billion cards in a row.

Arise! is another card that seems ridiculously strong and almost always has a huge impact.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaybackJack posted:

It's definitely hard to rate stuff that archives as well because that's such a strong mechanic. I saw one guy that had double Library of the Damned and it was pretty ridiculous. Masterplan is also a pretty cool card

I've got a deck with two Library of the Damned and it's definitely my strongest deck, though to be fair I only have like six. It's also got a funny name, The Child That Watches Technology, so it truly is top tier.

Nepenthe Seed is definitely strong, I'd put it up there as one of the strongest too, probably. I doubt I'd label it the best card in the game though, as it does rely on other cards in the deck. Yeah, you could argue that any powerful card relies on having a not garbage deck, but I feel like the strongest of the strong cards work mostly independently of other cards. I guess Library Acess and Arise! do depend on the other cards in your deck, but they'll almost always be able to get you several cards to set up for a powerful follow-up turn. Even if it only fetches you like 2 or 3 cards, that means you can play that many more on the next turn. Worst case scenario is you don't want to play them, then you can just discard them and be back where you started but with your deck thinned out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Double post, but holy poo poo the amber generation in this deck is insane. Just went up against it on The Crucible, and it went like this:

Turn 1: The Terror. 2 amber
Turn 2: Full Moon > Fuzzy Gruen > Halacor > Nature's call on my stuff and Fuzzy Gruen > replay Fuzzy Gruen. 10 amber.
Turn 3: Fertility Chant, other stuff. 1 key, 10 amber
Turn 4: I forget, but at this point it's turn 4 and they had 2 keys and 4 amber and how the gently caress do I deal with that without a shadows deck lmao

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Knightmare posted:

Is there anyway to easily generate a deck code or grab a random one from the Keyforge site to play "sealed" matches on the crucible? My buddy and I have played our decks a bunch and are looking to randomize it a bit.

On https://www.keyforgegame.com/explore you can search decks. The top ones are the most recently added ones, so you could just grab the two most recently uploaded ones or something. Alternatively, you could just do random searches and pull random decks from there.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Karnegal posted:

How do you open 8 rares in a deck and it's probably unplayable? 10 creatures :suicide: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/ac80e7ae-e735-4fe2-97f1-9d63ddb3542e

On the other hand, check this out: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/2084ad42-544a-41ca-818c-09eae2f3aef2

That first one doesn't seem so bad at a quick glance - not a lot of creatures, but tons of control options.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I guess Strange Gizmo kind of works as a catch-up card? Like if you're way behind in your board state, it's a guaranteed equalizer. I've had it do some work for me in the one deck I've got it in, but it's definitely not something I'm always excited to see.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I think the concept behind strange gizmo is how it makes both players re-evaluate their game plan once it hits the field. If you play it as the first card of the game, suddenly both players have to think about how much they want to commit early vs saving some of their key pieces (primarily artifacts) for after the gizmo triggers. If your deck generates most of its aember through events then I can absolutely see it as a useful way to discourage your opponent just dumping all their key cards on the board. The fact that is all probably the correct call to play those cards anyway, draw a much as you can and try to cycle your deck definitely makes it weaker but I don't think it's a bad card, just a hard to use card.

I'd definitely agree it isn't the most impactful card and in the wrong deck can be actively detrimental to your game plan.

It's similar to soul snatcher because that card changes the value of fighting. I have a deck that can make great use of soul snatcher and because I typically have more experience playing with it I can get more value out of it than my opponents can.

Dear God tell me how to make use of soul snatcher because I am way too scared to play that poo poo basically ever. I know I probably shouldn't be and should experiment more with it, but still.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

murk posted:

Out of the decks I have played, Virtuous Works might be the strongest consistent card IMO. +3 aember always feels great..

So I wasn’t familiar with this card, and decided to google it. It seems real good, but I also stumbled onto this article about the quadrant theory of card evaluation, specifically in regards to Keyforge. Funnily enough, the author evaluates Bait and Switch to be a fairly weak card - his argument being it’s only really good when you’re behind. While it’s an interesting argument, I’d say it’s not fully accurate, as the card is _also_ good when you’re winning (since you can play it immediately after a key is forged to instantly get a leg up while also kneecapping your opponent who’s already behind), and arguably when you’re at parity (if you can manage to forge a key before your opponent).

The author does evaluate Virtuous Works as being very valuable, though, and I'd definitely agree with that. 3 amber on-demand in a single card just seems real strong all-around.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How do you guys feel about the ADHD rating system? I’m kinda torn on it. On the one hand, it’s a decent way to get a quick glance at an estimated power level. On the other, it takes almost no consideration for combos / synergies, and seems to count card values based on those cards in a vacuum, which feels super inaccurate for Keyforge in particular.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

I wanted to double check, a bunch of the Brobnar cards in my first deck have an effect which readies a creature and lets it fight (one a creature with a play effect, the other an artefact). With those, the creature I end up fighting with doesn’t have to be Brobnar to use the ability right?

If the card doesn't specify a house, and just says "a friendly creature" then you can use it on any friendly creature, regardless of house. If it's "ready and fight with a friendly creature" then you can use them to fight even from a different house!

Also fun, if you have a card that readies + fights with a creature, but there's nothing to fight with, the card will still ready that creature. So then you could use it to reap, if it's the current house!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone have any advice on how to pace out your amber gain? The more I play, the more I realize that just going all-out ham on your amber may not be the best option. While it’s fun to drop huge combos and get like 10 amber in a turn, it sucks when the opponent clears all of it off the next turn. Although, if you don’t play out all your big combos together, then you’re taking less efficient turns and only dropping 2 or 3 cards a turn, which really slows you down. What do you guys think? Obviously there’s some kind of middle-ground to be reached.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pash posted:

I bought a deck, its named "Angelmountain, Spawn of Swordpuncher".

Also hilariously I think it is countered well by another one I just got Fullpurse, the "Overlord" of Cavalry.

I also got this one that seems to have great card draw potentially" Quadracap, Seashore Baroness

That said I have not actually played yet so I have no idea how good these are or not.

Also do cards like Succubus stack? If I have all 3 out from that Fullpurse deck does my opponent only draw until they have 3 cards?

Edit: Internet seems to tell me yes... so i hope for my opponents I never get all 3 out at a time.

drat, Fullpurse's dis setup looks fuckin' fun. Drop all three of the succubi and use Control the Weak to protect them, then Arise! them all. The rest of the deck seems decent at keeping enemy creatures down too, I could see that being a really fun (for you) control deck.

Sab669 posted:

I cracked a Double Mothergun deck recently and it's so much fun.

Out of curiosity, I went on the Compendium site and found this deck with 3 motherguns (and a shitload of other incredible cards). What a beast this must be, holy poo poo.

I've got a deck with two motherguns and it's definitely hilarious. Unfortunately it's about all the creature control the deck has, so it struggles against brobnar / sanctum decks that go wide with beefy creatures. Against decks that run only a few creatures / mostly weaker creatures, it loving rules though. Sometimes it feels worth it to just hold onto stuff in my hand for mothergun ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Karnegal posted:

Thoughts on this deck? https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/5c41e2ae-adf3-4439-a975-b548bba185d2

I'm considering buying it, but I'm not sure if it's just a gimmick or actually kind of good.

Seems like it has some neat stuff, but it'd be worth testing first. Also, it depends on how much someone's asking for it. If it's about the price of a deck anyways, gently caress it, why not.