Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keyforge is…not back…in any form. Yet.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/9/10/down-but-not-out/

tl;dr: the game is not dead, but is undergoing a hiatus to rebuild the algorithm. Next set is already finished and will be part of relaunch which I assume means an advertising campaign and maybe some large events at stores. A digital version is in development.

Speculation is either incompetence or a disgruntled employee nuking the algorithm. I think while there may have been a problem, the pandemic is the more pressing concern and better to wait and see how things look next year and have a big event rather than just release another set that won’t be played by as many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The scuttlebutt is it happened as a result of shutting down Fantasy Flight Interactive, either be it a malicious employee breaking or it as a middle finger to upper management, or just something wasn’t caught or fixed in time when employees were on their way out because they didn’t care anymore.

I still think it has more to do with wanting to give the game a big post-pandemic event to reinvigorate sales, and the algorithm is an excuse to sit and wait. Better to sit and wait rather than have a big relaunch only for the Tau variant or whatever to take the wind out of your sails.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Besides playing different, Solforge 2.0 is trying to add a very small amount of deckbuilding. So instead of one random deck, you get randomized half-decks and smush them together to make your deck. Kinda like Jumpstart from Magic, whose existence alone foretells a bad fate for Solforge.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, makes me a bit nervous if they require crowdfunding to get this running again. Also sounds like the algorithm isn’t done yet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So the crowdfunding was a big success, and they just announced tournament formats which….includes constructed. You can bring X decks and from that make one deck of three houses. Besides the logistics of each deck having a unique card back, it just seems to run counter to the simplicity of the game.

And also no mention of the best format, Reversal :argh:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why would you need opaque sleeves to use a regular deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Looks like the game is getting another set that was crowdfunded in like 15 minutes so I guess KeyForge ain’t dying off quite yet. I haven’t bought the new set but the new spooky themed faction in this upcoming set looks cool (has a discard theme and discard-pile-based trigger similar to Magic’s Threshold)