Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I think a KeyForge cube would actually be fun, and now I'm trying to think if there'd be a way to get a full set of cards on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
They've posted an Organized Play FAQ video. Some highlights:

- You can't use dice to represent anything at all, because they can be easily knocked over.
- You can use anything else you want to represent tokens and counters, as long as it's clear to your opponent what they do.
- At higher levels of play, opaque sleeves only. TOs can allow transparent sleeves if they want.
- Once decks are registered online, at store level events your record will be tracked and chains will be assigned to your deck if it's too good. At high tier events, decks don't start with any chains they've gathered this way, which is going to make good decks more valuable.
- No plans to allow play on the app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3F07NCUAaA

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd have less of an issue with it if FFG supplied the right sleeves. Having to buy 3rd party is a PITA.

Why is it a PITA? Any LGS will have literally dozens of sleeve choices, just buy whatever you like. I wish any online discussion about a game with cards didn't derail into sleeve chat, but non-Magic players get anxiety about buying sleeves like it's a major purchasing decision. Just get what looks nice!

food court bailiff posted:

Someday I will understand FFG's utter hatred of numeric dice, but that day is not today. Seriously, I think this is a rule for all their card games, but how heavily it's enforced might vary (like at Worlds I definitely saw Netrunnner players using dice for things like virus counters and stuff, just not actual credit counts).

I'm pretty sure someone high up at FFG has some sort of cardboard addiction problem, because all of their games involve multiple fiddly little cardboard tokens of various shapes and sizes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The cards in the starter precons have reminder text on some of the abilities. It's worth looking them over to catch some easily-missed rules.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

Not to be a party pooper but I don't think the procedurally generated names are funny.

Hey I just opened an archon deck and it's "Somberbrero, Pooper of Parties" :ffg:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

Picked up one deck each for my gf and I since our game shop was also sold out on starters, used tokens from Netrunner (:rip:) and they worked just fine.

There's some weird poo poo in this game, I kind of love it. Her deck was mostly about blowing poo poo up and getting amber while doing so, so she almost never had any creatures out - which made a lot of my cards (which gained bonuses on fighting) worthless, since there was nothing to fight. However, I had some cards that gain bonuses when healing so I used some direct damage cards on my own units in order to heal them up for other bonuses. Eventually I wound up with four dudes out at once that contained a built-in heal engine, and her nukes couldn't keep up with me reaping 4 times every turn and I snagged the win. Game is real good.

Only thing I don't understand is the card Tunk, which is originally a Mars creature but I got it out of faction? Anyways, it gains an effect when I play other Mars creatures, which my deck contains none of. Feels a little weird that they didn't change the card's text to match its current house.

I searched for "KeyForge Tunk" on Google and it led me to this Reddit post where I gathered that occasionally you can find a "Maverick" (house-swapped) card in your decks. But yeah Tunk is just a vanilla 6/1 without any other Mars creatures.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ZorajitZorajit posted:

While there's little control over when a player has access to it, one impression I got last night was that Capture is not a great mechanic? The couple Sanctum decks I saw made some use of it. Notable examples being Raiding Night which Captures 1 on play and an action that Captures 3. Unlike Steal, which Shadow seems to have lots of access to, you can't then spend the aember snagged with Capture. And it seems to appear at fairly similar values and frequency. Plus, it makes one of your creatures a target with a bounty for something your opponent already wants to do.

Am I missing something about this keyword, or maybe just didn't see a card that really capitalized on it?

Capture would have been better if you could do something with captured aember, but I haven't seen any cards that do that. It's still a tempo-oriented play and forces your opponent to fight or play removal, which, you know, maybe they wanted to reap or play a bunch of splashy action cards instead that turn.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Turambar posted:

- That Fight abilities only trigger if the creature survives the fight

This is really the only non-intuitive rule in the whole game. Maybe the archive, since it doesn't show up in maybe 50% of decks, and sometimes when it does it's one of those abilities where it puts the opponent's cards in your archive and if they leave your archive they go back to them - but since the deck has no reason to ever take the archive, those cards are basically exiled forever.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mayveena posted:

I guess when you go to compete with your deck in opaque sleeves you'll need to be sure to actually examine the deck you are playing against. Seems like opportunities for shenanigans against unsuspecting players abound.

From what I remember from the OP YouTube video, you get two minutes to look at your opponent's list at the beginning of each match in the bring-your-own-deck mode, which is just one more aid against that kind of cheating.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My LGS is getting ten boxes in this week/early next week and then said there probably isn't more until after Christmas. I might get a box and treat myself to a mini-advent calendar.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what my favorite house is, but I can tell you I hate Mars and will probably trade away any deck with Mars in it unless the synergies are amazing. "Comes in stunned" is too big of a drawback when all creatures already come in tapped.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ZorajitZorajit posted:

For what it's worth, they look the other way about both OCTGN* and jinteki.net. I think there may have been a corporate take down notice sent to Jinteki once, but it got resolved somehow. Now, if they have their own digital Keyforge in the works, as has been suggested, it's possible that changes.

FFG wants people to play (and stream!) their game, and services like Tabletop Simulator exist in a legal gray area. Basically, it only gets squirelly when someone from legal has to make it.

Edit: the defunct predecessor to jinteki.net

The official KeyForge Facebook page shared the Crucible site the other day with a "great job designers!" so it's basically sanctioned.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thanks! I keep forgetting the name of this site, and for some reason Google hasn't been able to find anything for "Keyforge Card Database" or whatever search terms because hundreds of people have poisoned the well with forum/Reddit post titles.

Also we love your tokens! They sold out so fast I didn't even have time to tell my friend that I had a 15% Goon discount, but if he'd waited to pull the trigger on them we would've missed out. I feel bad for anyone buying the Litko tokens or other cheap overpriced plastic. I'm going to talk to my LGS about ordering a bunch for this and other games.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
KeyForge cards are a few millimeters taller than Magic cards, so UltraPro sleeves don't really work for them. Dragon Shields and Fantasy Flight sleeves fit fine.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm always disappointed when I open a deck with a lot of great cards and synergy but zero disruption. A deck recently was pretty great until I realized the only way of slowing my opponent down was a single Charette and a single one of those Dis creatures with Action: Steal 1. I could make my opponent miserable (or myself if I played my Autocannon which stopped me from playing some great 1-power creatures) but I'd never be able to stop them from forging keys as fast as their deck would allow.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

I really won't arguing the theming in this game is bad. Smash-up is not a game that any other game should look at as "good theme design". I do think the humor stuff works a lot better than the serious elements though. Mars, while not my favorite faction is probably my favorite in terms of thematic design mostly because it's consistent and fun. Sanctum is consistent but even for someone that loves Paladins, these guys are super boring.

Don't compare this to Smash-Up, that was a meme fest checking the boxes of what they thought the internet kids thought was cool. KeyForge's theming isn't my favorite, but it's not in-your-face pandering like Smash-Up was. KeyForge cribs more from Blizzard than anything else, which is eh but it's generic enough that it appeals to everyone. I can't imagine if they attached some anime property or hooked Star Wars onto this.

The worst thing about KeyForge is some of the art isn't unique enough. There's a Dis creature that comes in and gains 2 if your opponent has no aember, and one that comes in and steals 1 if they have 4 or more. After dozens of games and lots of goldfishing I still confuse one for the other. Same with some of the 2-power Shadows creatures. The names and art aren't descriptive enough for what they do.

Mars is actually the most Smash-Up-like, sorry.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I don't like Bait and Switch. At least on The Crucible, you have no idea if any given shadows deck will have it or not, so you need to play around it. Except there isn't any easy way to play around it - either you keep your amber amounts low, and then your opponent steals them and puts you super far behind, or you go all-out and try to stay ahead, then they BaS and it's all gone. Pretty sure I've lost several games based on that card being played a single time. Any tips on how to play around it?

It's one of those cards that's impossible to play around if you don't know if it's in their decklist.

Went to my LGS tonight. Lots of people playing, but the store understandably didn't want to start trying to run real events yet with the holidays and all the kids off school. There were some people who'd apparently been playing a while, but with gross misunderstandings of the rules. I told the judge guy they have there, but we both kind of shrugged and decided that sort of thing would be best left for when actual events start going off. It's those slightly unintuitive things such as creatures having to survive a fight or things not happening if the card they're on having left play.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

5) Hallowed Blaster
Heal 2 and omni would have been much better. Fighting just isn't that important and this would have gone a long way to trying to make it a bit more so.

Someone's first deck here had five Hallowed Blasters and only one creature in the deck with more than 2 power. How he's now one of the biggest proponents of the game in our area I'll never know. He opened up a good deck as his second, but later on he got another deck with three Hallowed Blasters and nine creatures.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Gotta love timing rules, no matter how hard games like KeyForge try to avoid them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I like deck construction when the card pool is small. I got into Magic really early (the Arabian Nights expansion had just released), so there weren't a ton of cards, and the rules were a lot simpler then.

I got into Netrunner very late, and the massive learning curve for building a good deck from the thousands of available cards (most of which had more complicated mechanics than "3/3 trample") basically killed that game for me.

I've played a bunch of collectible card games and yeah, I love when there's just one set to build from. When a second set comes out that's usually when I quit. Not because it's another large investment, but because the options for deckbuilding become overwhelming. KeyForge won't have that problem. When/if another set comes out, there won't be any more deckbuilding, it'll probably just be different decks.

Speaking of more sets, I wonder how they're going to do them. Avoiding power creep is more important in KeyForge than any other game, because they don't want to make all the first set decks worthless in power level.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I love the idea of deck building, but as I get older I just have too much to do that I don't want to spend however much of my down time on building a deck.

I've especially come to this realization playing Warhammer Underworlds where I need to rebuild a deck every time I want to play a different faction, because you only get 1 of each card. So if you want to use that card in a different deck, then you have to take apart one in order to build another.

I stopped playing Warhammer Underworlds because of that.

Edit: I've been selling a bunch of my KeyForge decks on eBay because they're either not my style or I already have decks that do the same thing. Realistically I don't see myself ever owning more than four, maybe five decks. I've actually been breaking even, plus or minus a dollar when I accept offers or raise the price because certain cards like Key Charge, Library Access, etc. tend to go for a little more. I have four decks now that all play differently, so I'm clearing out the rest of the decks and seeing if a tournament scene comes up here before buying more.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 8, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Went undefeated last night with this triple Troll deck. The only problem with it is the lack of a board wipe, so if my opponent out-tempos me with creatures it's hard to catch up. Speed Sigil + Gauntlet of Command makes that possible though.

Autocannon is great but annoying to remember.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
They haven't actually started official tournaments yet, right? We've had a few :effort: attempts to have events in my area, but nothing's taken off. Decks are selling online like hotcakes so there must be a scene somewhere, I just sold a bunch of decks for $20-50 each.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is great, like everyone else I was wondering when and how they were doing another set. Mixing them in with old cards is nice, and I think it'll keep the decks balanced because of the different synergies that can or can't show up in the new decks. Alpha and Omega are very interesting abilities to create new gameplay decisions in a game without a resource system.

I love this game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Palemdromes posted:

Are those Horsemen or Time Traveler decks or something? I wouldn't mind selling a few of my less used decks - I only have 6, but I've winnowed out which ones I like and which I don't. I have one with the Timepig which is incredible at stopping your opponent from doing anything. Plus Timepig is a cutie :3:

The more expensive one was a Horseman deck, yeah. There are certain factors that make a deck worth more money, such as Library Access, Mavericks, a real name in the deck name because someone's going to be looking for a Jason deck or whatever, six rares, Restringuntus, Bait and Switch, Zookeeper, etc. Decks with ~85 or more on their SAS Rating go for a lot also because people think of them as "competitive" even though I have decks in the 75ish range that are really fun to play.

thespaceinvader posted:

I honestly think there are a lot of people buying what they feel are power decks for resale or just to have them. It's not like the prize support is remotely desirable, nor like there are any premier tournaments yet.

I'm in NY and the closest location on this KeyForge "tour" is GenCon, which is disappointing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

How much do decks go for? I pulled this one recently and it has an 89. Wouldn't mind cashing out if it's worth a good chunk of change.

That Mars looks fun, you're not going to pull it off every game, but Total Recall + Battle Fleet is going to draw you a lot of cards, and that's a lot of Mars creatures to go with Crystal Hive! I suspect that's where most of the deck's rating comes from, because the other houses are very solid but don't have anything super out of the ordinary. I'd put it up for $50 if I were selling it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bistromatic posted:

After a couple more really fun round me and my main opponent are invested enough in the game that we want to get some fancy tokens. Are there any goon favourites?

Apart from nice designs i'm looking for double sided 1/3 damage and power tokens.
Candidates i'm currently aware of are:
Team Covenant - weird color on the red key, low numbers of tokens in the set
BuyTheSameToken - decent design but not /super/ great imo
Aurbits - unsure of the quality and consistency, even in the store photos there are some damaged tokens
DayDreamGaming - my favourite power/damage/stun designs but doesn't do doublesided (i asked) or keys

i'm kiiiinda tempted to try and make my own but i no longer have access to a cnc mill and i'm not very familiar with the laser cutter and the local fablab yet. and then there's the time factor...

Burger Tokens. Much better than some cheap acrylic 3D-printed Etsy crap.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

+1 for Burger Tokens, though the base set keys are a bit small for my liking. Might pick up the new ones they're making though once they release.

I use Magic cards with Key in their names for my keys. Keys are too important to hide in little penny-sized tokens.

I like that burger tokens are SA-made, but I feel like the only one who isn’t a huge fan of their keyforge set. The amber tokens are neat, but all the rest just feel like bright red and yellow garish tokens that kind of bleed together. I like the shield and chain tokens, but they’re only included in the premium upgrade set which is seemingly always sold out. I also kinda wish that their key tokens were sized for quarters or something, but I can understand that being outside of their usual printing methods and wouldn’t be feasible.

The only tokens I wish they had are 2 damage. I feel like 2 is the most common amount of damage to have on a creature, and I always run out of 1s too quickly.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

My wife and I played around the kitchen table a bit but have moved on. I see most people who sell decks are selling them still sealed, is it still possible to sell them after they've been opened and put in the app, or is that not actually possible? Or do people not deal in open decks because of reasons?

Also, not sure if this is too much, but here are the 4 decks we got. Are any of them good enough that I might expect more than a few bucks back on them? I expect the answer is not really, but never hurts to ask.

Thanks!

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/4ecec3b6-0670-4b78-b100-e7275ed09497

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/52f0a394-1072-4369-9a69-55bb7b70fa4a

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/e5563bd1-c820-454d-aa68-0caefb9da91b

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/df5b72de-da59-4975-997f-a58f28aba47e

I checked them out on https://decksofkeyforge.com and they all had average stats. Since they're opened and there's no funny names you might get $20 for all four on eBay. Though there is the Uranium deck with Library Access, Phase Shift, and Skippy Timehog, I could see that one eventually selling for $15ish if you put it up on eBay with those cards in the title and wait.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Fantasy Flight was offering a set of randomized KeyForge decks to any LGS owner that attended the GAMA trade show, and since I'm the KeyForge guy at Brothers Grim, the shop's owner gave me the choice of any. I think I made a good choice:

There was also a Four Horseman deck, but that one's going up for sale. Brothers Grim's Giddy Princess was another possibility, but this one was funnier because gamers love complaining.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

FFG made a blog post about the meta game of Keyforge, focusing on two major events and looking at what trends were in the decks, what was most successful, etc. It's a good read, but here's the tldr:

1. Top houses are shadows and dis. Logos is real good too. Sanctum seems to be the lowest-performing.
2. Creature removal is very strong. Not only does that mean try to get a deck with some, but also avoid decks that rely heavily on creatures, as even the strongest ones are fragile.
3. Looks for decks that are balanced in the types of cards they contain. Decks that lean too heavily I to one card type (actions, creatures, etc) tend to perform poorly, as they are too weak if an opponent's deck counters them.
4. Card draw is real strong, surprise surprise. But make sure you can play the cards as well, to keep cycling your deck.
5. Being able to generate amber from just playing cards is strong. The eight top 4 decks had between 9-17 total amber symbols in their decks, with the average being 12.

A few of these seem obvious, but it's good to see the hard numbers back up the theorycrafting.

Shadows being tier 0 and Bait and Switch being far and away the best card in the game is the only thing disappointing in this game. The KeyForge Buy/Sell/Trade group is full of high-rollers, and they consistently pay up to $300 for good Shadows decks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Capture is supposed to be used as a tempo play, keeping them from making a key for at least one turn. You can't really wall up and hold captured aember indefinitely because they can be Gateway to Dis'd away. You need to take advantage of that tempo though, and that's difficult. Untamed is the "aggro" faction in this game, it has the most bursty aember gain and very little aember control.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I can't wait for the next set. It's funny, I've been on the Keyforge Buy & Sell group on Facebook for a while. Up until a few weeks ago, it was totally possible to open any deck and sell it for $10+shipping on Facebook or eBay, but now that's dried up completely and I've had a collection of thirteen decks sitting on eBay for $60 for about two weeks. People are still paying money for hyper-competitive decks, but it has to be something really special for the high prices it used to be. I think people just have what they want and are waiting for the next set.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
They needed to nerf OTK decks before the next set became playable, otherwise old Library Access decks would tear up the tournaments. The mistake was printing that card in the first place, though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Edit: Less bless for making cards that only exist to die, such as "gain 1 amber when your opponent plays a creature". Especially if there's no taunters in the deck. gently caress YOU

You just need to play those creatures along with other threats so they have to make difficult decisions about what to kill. There are a lot of creatures that die super easy but if they don't, the pay-off can be huge.

I'm hyped for the game again after opening one new deck. I haven't gotten to play it yet, but I'm excited about the Mars cards. They're not just "wait for a turn, hope you have some Mars creatures left for a modest pay-off on cards that do nothing if you don't have ready Mars creatures" anymore, the faction is more proactive which rules.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell, the game is still going strong, but the secondary market has crashed. "Crashed" from way up high though, because it used to be you could open a deck and if you didn't like it, sell it for the full $10 retail value because someone was looking for those specific houses and/or name and/or cards. Now people have gotten smarter about what's competitive, so the Facebook groups are full of:

- Above average decks put up with no responses; these used to sell for $20-30
- Massive 25+ deck bulk collections from people who didn't dump their stock early enough, also with no responses
- Decks with 7+ Plague Rats, which is the flavor of the month deck, selling in the $40-50 range
- Absolutely insane top 1% tier decks that sell for $100+, usually to one of a small group of high-rollers

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I wonder how much of a "secondary market crash" is because the first-party supply of decks has been 'fixed'. Like when the game first came out and no one could keep it in stock, so people would go to eBay or wherever just to get something. THEN it was eBaying FOTM decks / whatever House combo / specific Rares a given player might be interested in. Now most people have a handful or two or three and have what they want - so they're not buying.

That was definitely the beginning, but even after supplies were plentiful people were buying what they wanted, even if what they wanted wasn't good. Dis + Shadows decks, decks with rare cards like Master of 2 or Nepenthe Seed, any deck with a real name in it, etc.

Bistromatic posted:

Give them out to potential players. The first hit is free.

When we first started playing we gave out a lot of decks we didn't want, and it hooked a lot of people.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/4/16/play-keyforge-for-free/

Fantasy Flight put some Mass Mutation decks up as print and play for anyone who wants to try out some of the new stuff during the shutdown.

That's really cool, but someone was super lazy and put one card per page. In Acrobat by selecting Multiple under Page Sizing & Handling and going 4x2 in landscape mode it's five pages per deck.

Edit: And set the scale to 95% so you can stick them in a sleeve in front of a Magic card or other Magic-sized card.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 17, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably get two decks or a two player starter set and try to bribe my fiance to play. I've got a bunch of old mostly original set decks, but my plans to try to restart some kind of community are obviously put on hold. I'm betting the game will be dead by the time it's safe to do that, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Had a friend over and we played for a while. He did the Kickstarter, so hopefully he'll be getting decks of the new set in January. What a great game. I'm half tempted to snipe some of those Black Friday clearance deals to get some old decks for like $2-3 a pop. Is there a reason Age of Ascension decks are so cheap? Was it just overprinted? I'm having a hard time finding Mass Mutation and Dark Tidings discounted anywhere.

We did play Solforge Fusion beforehand, which made Keyforge's gameplay even better. Solforge Fusion isn't a bad game, but the bookkeeping on it is miserable. Every time you play a card, you have to search your side deck for the next higher level version of that card and pop it in your discard, and then your spells/creatures get banished once they resolve/die, respectively. It means you're constantly riffling through your set aside cards and not paying attention to the game, and you're getting five new cards each turn so you have to process a lot of new information every turn. Definitely don't get it if you're thinking Richard Garfield was trying to do something similar to Keyforge.