Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
Dear Santa,

What you love, what you’d like to try, or what you definitely do not want.
I'd be happy with one of your favorite inks, pens, or pen/ink accessories - anything you really love and think the world needs to be exposed to. Is there something local or unique that you would like to share? I'd love to try it.

If you need help narrowing your favorites down: My favorite ink manufacturers are Sailor (Jentle/Shikiori, Nano, Kobe, Bungubox, etc, etc), KWZI, Colorverse, and Robert Oster but like I said, if something wows you and I don't already own it, then I'll probably enjoy it! There are no colors that I actively dislike, but I tend to very rarely use shimmering inks. I also tend to shy away from iron gall inks nowadays.

If you want to send me a pen that you really enjoy, then thats great. I don't have much in the way of preferences for pens to be honest, probably because I haven't actually tried any pens outside of what I have listed in the Google Doc below. I have never tried out any of the newish Chinese pens (Wing Sung, PenBBS, Moonman), so if you really like those then by all means! I guess the only preference I have for pens would be that I don't much care for very fine (like Japanese fines, Western fines are ok) nibs. If you would rather send a cool pen stand or travel thing, thats cool too. I will say that I am good on stationary for a good while into the future, though.

If the list of things I already have happens to stump you, you are shipping internationally and want to save on postage, or if you are new to the hobby and don't really know what you yourself enjoy yet, then a gift card wouldn't hurt my feelings either. I'm pretty easy to please.

What you already have.
Here is a list of ink and pens I already own (fairly lengthy, sorry to be a pain): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zC2ZicPdwcB8uIsITrKVVpf_vZ3Hl1yX2-uEmCgvp1E/edit?usp=sharing

If you really like a particular item from a brand that is represented in the list above, but one that I have not purchased yet, don't assume that it is because I don't/wouldn't like the color! Again, I'm pretty easy to please.

If you’re cool with NSFW packaging or content.
As long as it is restricted to only inside the package, go for it.

How you use your pens. (Art? Organization? Nanowrimo-ing?)
I try to use my pens as much as I can for everything, but as a student they tend to get a lot of time writing notes. I also actively keep a Hononichi Techo planner and always swap out the ink color used in it after every month based on the season. In January I will also start using their relatively new 5-year journal in conjunction with the planner so I'd love to feature any pen or ink gifted for a month out of next year.

The shops you prefer, so your Santa can choose a gift-card.
Vanness Pen Shop and Pen Chalet are my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

My Santee’s package is in the mail, but it will arrive on Wednesday :( Waited too long to order the item from Amazon and received the wrong thing. Added a bunch of ink samples for their gift arriving a little late, so hopefully that makes it worthwhile!

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

Magnus Praeda posted:

I'm glad you liked them! Merry Christmas!

Edit: A package appears!

Oh, a lovely card!

Holy ink samples, Batman! And a lovely Moonman as well!

Looks like USPS brought the hustle and got it here early. You weren't kidding when you said "a bunch of ink samples," wow! I'm going to have to invest in an actual sample rack now and put together a spreadsheet for all these colors.

Many thanks!

Ah I’m so glad! Hope you find a few new favorites in the samples!

Just checking to see if my SS has made it out to the post office just yet, haven’t seen anything pen-related in the mail lately.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

Still nothing from my SS :ohdear:

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

Pixelante, do you mind contacting my SS to see if he’s still active in the exchange?

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

Pixelante posted:

On it. Hopefully things just went out late!

If your Santa is truly AWOL, we'll see if anyone wants to adopt you.

Thanks!

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

Pixelante posted:

Hopefully everyone is sorted out by now, but if you haven't gotten (or sent) anything by now, please shoot me an email or pm.

Nothing yet, but I did receive your email a few days back.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

Big thanks to Pixelante for offering to adopt me as a Secret Santa orphan after two others bailed - that was really kind of you! Got a fistful of ink samples, including some that I had never even heard of (Montblanc Swan Illusion and Noodler's Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham, specifically), a lovely card, and a very nice Rhodia pocket notebook which will certainly find a home in my scrub top. They Play-doh was also a nice touch. I think Swan Illusion will be the first one to try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

Pixelante posted:

Swan Illusion is probably my favourite right now. It's a really subtle grey/brown that seems to get darker as it dries. Blue Upon the Plains is a Canadian-exclusive. PlaneGuy says it's prone to clogging so you might need to water it down a bit, per Noodler-standards. (He also contributed the Fuyu-Gaki.)

The playdoh is to hold ink samples so you don't tip them over on your desk!

Many thanks to PlaneGuy for their contribution, too! I have a bottle of diluted photoflo that really helped Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng, so I'll be sure to add a touch to the sample to help it's flow.

Regarding the playdoh... that is brilliant! I've had more sample spills than I would like to admit.

Nine of Eight posted:

Expect another surprise at some point!

Looks like your gift came today:

A Wing Sung 601A - a brand that I have heard lots of really good things about, but had never pulled the trigger on, so I am pretty excited to try it out. An interesting mix of a typical pump-filler Parker 51 body and cap, but with a Sheaffer Triumph tubular nib. Has a nice ink window and seems like it will seal very nicely. Also really love the army green color, as a huge chunk of my ink collection is devoted to murky greens. Very cool!

There is a sample of the lovely Sailor Tokiwa-matsu that Pixelante/PlaneGuy gifted me, so that will certainly have to be the first fill. Thank y'all for the great gifts, it really made my week :)

Hope to see y'all for the next Secret Santa!