Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Oh dear me posted:

Then it seems to me there is no constitutional way out of the problem and the sooner this is recognized the better. Maybe more populated states could look at setting up alternative structures, a 'Proportional Senate', a 'Reformed Court' and so on, and try to give those bodies powers instead? If nothing else they'd be institutions that were ready to go after a fight.

Why not use the Bundesrat as a model? The smaller states still get more delegates compared to their population, but the bigger state still have much more power than just two senators.

Hell, use their voting system too, the Bundesrat delegates aren't actually delegates, they are literally the state governments showing up and voting as a bloc, good times.

*PS: It hasn't been the Reichstag since 1945, it's the Bundestag, the building is not the common name of the lower assembly of Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Squalid posted:

Yeah gerrymandering is comparatively easy to fix, although it has its own problems. For example if Democratic controlled states enact unilateral gerrymandering reform, it puts them at a national disadvantage against Republicans, who won't have so many scruples in the states they control. However a national level fix seems like it would be easier to manage politically than say an effort to neuter the Senate.
Utah just passed an anti-gerrymandering proposition and it's red as hell. Granted it barely passed and, as expected, it was the more liberal urban areas that voted for it and more conservative rural areas voted against it, but hey, a pass is a pass.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Axeil, I’d like to thank you for a great and meaty OP, but I’m kinda sad that it doesn’t stray too much from the D&D orthodoxy in terms of policy proposals. Which is why I’d like to introduce the following ideas into the debate and see what y’all think about them (I’m perfectly conscious that most of them would require scrapping the Constitution but let’s not stay attached to a text just because it was written by long-dead quasi-mythical political leaders):

- Political representation for residents, not merely nationals, essentially decoupling citizenship from nationality. Because everyone has a stake in their own living and working conditions. There are historical precedents for this, although they are uncommon, but the US used to be a pioneer in these matters. The revolutionary French constitution of 1793 (that never came into force) would have allowed citizenship for foreigners living and working in France after a year of residence. In the EU, European foreigners may vote in the local elections of their country of residence. More relevantly, many States in the US used to allow the vote for certain kinds of aliens, up until the 1920’s - check out the Wikipedia article devoted to the historical examples of this. What’s interesting is that this seems to be constitutional, and would only require implementation through law.

- Getting rid of the states. Seriously. Or at least, removing their authority on a lot of matters. Squalid makes great points on the ills of centralization turned up to 11 but that’s not exactly what I called for, and I’m pretty conscious of the downsides of living in a country that has one metropolis of over 12 million people and nothing else over 2,5 million. But I think America would be pretty immune to such imbalances given how DC is dwarfed by the rest of the country. I still feel like states’ sovereignty is disproportionate, and I feel like electoral laws (ffs!), education, labor, family, morals, contract, water and a bunch of other laws and rights probably shouldn’t fall within the purview of the states - merely because they are all essential and it is absurd in my view that there should be inequalities between people on these topics.

Would you at least grant me, Squalid, that wresting electoral law from the clutches of the states would do much to cleanse American democracy? Is it at all feasible? The VRA seems like it merely had a regulatory effect on electoral law, but could a potential future new VRA hand over the electoral process to a federal authority?

I would like it if a constitutional scholar could post more about the intricate details of federalism and its current legal underpinnings. If that’s not too far off topic.

- National referendums. You have local ballot initiatives and that’s a good (because it is inherently democratic in its essence) and a bad thing (I just read about how Florida’s ballot initiatives were worded and ho boy). So it all depends on implementation and breadth, but national referendums on pretty much any topic except for the removal of civil and human rights sound pretty good to me.

I’ve been phoneposting for a while and have now arrived at work, so I’ll stop here for now. What do y’all think?

These are really interesting! Thanks for sharing. My thoughts on each.

1. This sort of ties in to having a less insane immigration system. I've been pro-open borders and easy immigration for a while but I don't know how much that would fly because even the non-racist white people will get the vapors if you suggest open borders. I think you could accomplish the goals of this by just loosening up the time to become a citizen rather than giving permanent residents or aliens the right to representation.

2. This relates to the conversation we were having about centralization earlier. While the states are fairly arbitrary today, I'm not sure that they should be gotten rid of entirely. That electoral law doesn't fall within the federal government is probably a good thing right now or you'd have Trump rigging every election. But I do think all the states that keep on passing abortion restrictions they know are unconstitutional solely in an attempt to get SCOTUS to chip away at that right shouldn't be allowed.

Additionally, I'm not even sure how you'd constitutionally go about dissolving the states. Most nations have a province or regional government setup and they're so intertwined with the Constitution that removing them would be quite a challenge.

3. Every state and the nation should have referendums but I worry that they might be used to do some nasty things (ala the state constitutional bans on gay marriage in 2004) rather than good.

RagnarokZ posted:

Why not use the Bundesrat as a model? The smaller states still get more delegates compared to their population, but the bigger state still have much more power than just two senators.

Hell, use their voting system too, the Bundesrat delegates aren't actually delegates, they are literally the state governments showing up and voting as a bloc, good times.

*PS: It hasn't been the Reichstag since 1945, it's the Bundestag, the building is not the common name of the lower assembly of Germany.

That could be a way you reform out the Senate. Change the House distribution to some sort of non-linear model where smaller states get more representation than they "should" to alleviate the removal of their power in the Senate.

Oh, thanks for the terminology correction! I didn't know they changed the name of German parliament, I'll update it.

Cicero posted:

Utah just passed an anti-gerrymandering proposition and it's red as hell. Granted it barely passed and, as expected, it was the more liberal urban areas that voted for it and more conservative rural areas voted against it, but hey, a pass is a pass.

Gerrymandering is one of the few things the right and left agree on because gerrymandering doesn't care what your political party is, if you're in the minority you'll be gerrymandered against. Look at Maryland's map right now, it's also gerrymandered to suppress GOP representation.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 12, 2018

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

axeil posted:

Gerrymandering is one of the few things the right and left agree on because gerrymandering doesn't care what your political party is, if you're in the minority you'll be gerrymandered against. Look at Maryland's map right now, it's also gerrymandered to suppress GOP representation.
Michigan (which is purple these days?) just passed a similar prop and the same thing happened, urban liberal areas were far more supportive than rural conservative ones. Anti-gerrymandering isn't as partisan as taxes but one side is definitely more strongly for these good governance regulations.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

axeil posted:

Proportional Representation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT0I-sdoSXU

A hypothetical mixed-member proportional system in the US would make the House more like the Bundestag in Germany or other states that use a method of proportional allocation of seats. The NYTimes made a hypotehtical mixed-member proportional map, seen below:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/10/opinion/house-representatives-size-multi-member.html

This not only would alleviate issues related to representation ratios but it would also fix the inherent problems of a first past the post voting system in which a two-party dichotomy naturally is created and the polarization of the Republican Party has broken the natural ways this system moderates the political climate. If you want to vote DSA instead of Democrat, a mixed member system would be the best way to potentially achieve that goal.

To be a pedant, this is an STV (multimember districts with ranked choice preference) model not an MMP one.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

If I were to say my two biggest reforms now are:

1) Ranked choice voting. I think it brings more people into the political process, picks a more representative candidate, and will help to end certain races that end with people getting 45 percent of the vote. (Looking at you Maine and Democratic primaries!)

2) Uncapping Congress. There are states that gained population but lost seats because we are capped at 435 which means they got hosed over in a lot of ways because they represent more people with less power in Congress. Also, I think it will help combat some money issues in Congress as it will be cheaper for people to do elections.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Looking at the Wikipedia page for resident-alien voting, it looks like the only thing preventing it at the Federal level is a statute from 1996. States could unilaterally allow it in their own elections, and currently it is allowed for some local elections like for school boards. I doubt many aliens ever do vote,the law is such a clusterfuck, but still. I think expanding these rights is a good idea and seems doable. If nothing else is would really make the right lose their minds.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Squalid posted:

Looking at the Wikipedia page for resident-alien voting, it looks like the only thing preventing it at the Federal level is a statute from 1996. States could unilaterally allow it in their own elections, and currently it is allowed for some local elections like for school boards. I doubt many aliens ever do vote,the law is such a clusterfuck, but still. I think expanding these rights is a good idea and seems doable. If nothing else is would really make the right lose their minds.

Off of this, I know there is talk in local elections opening them up to allow people under the age of 18 to vote, usually 16 is the cutoff. I think that would be an interesting reform.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Founding Fathers were so adamant about state's rights because they hated the way a central authority like a King could oppress anyone he wanted to. Without states the east coast of the US will be under control of King Schumer.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

qkkl posted:

The Founding Fathers were so adamant about state's rights because they hated the way a central authority like a King could oppress anyone he wanted to. Without states the east coast of the US will be under control of King Schumer.

State's right and the autonomy of the states are sufficiently protected by the 10th amendment, I'm ok with state governments having a lot of power to govern their own territory (provided they don't violate the constitutional rights of individual citizens), I'm not ok with the senate being used as a tool for enforcing tyranny of the minority over everybody else

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cool thread, nice OP.

I have a few questions, followed by some wacky ideas at the bottom.

Questions:
1) How and why was the US system set up the way it was? Specifically. Like, why 2 senators per state. Why not 1, or 3? Why have 2 chambers of Congress? I'm interested in the philosophical basis, and then the technical measures put in place to implement this, and whether or not it worked. I learned recently that the founding fathers tried their best to avoid a 2 party system, and obviously failed. I'd love a book on the subject.

2) Related to 1: is there any precedent of gaming a system before implementing it? It seems like most suggestions, including the ones I'll make, use pretty short term thinking, typically righting some sort of imbalance. But what if the fix ends up with a new kind of imbalance in 50 years? It seems like with some game theory these hypothetical systems could be put through their paces. We know politicians will take every advantage of rules that they can-- it would be nice to simulate the system and design accordingly. Is this being done now?

Wacky ideas:
A) City states. The urban-rural divide is huge, and as been pointed out, cities are very under-represented. So maybe major urban areas could form their own states, along with their own senators and governors. I don't know enough about US politics to know if this is feasible or would actually help. But I feel generally that cities should have greater autonomy, while rural areas should maintain a good level of power lest whole classes of people lose their representation.

B) Non-local reps. This is just spitballing, but it may be nice to have one set of reps based on location, and another that is not. For non-local, have a very large number of reps (thousands) and don't give the body too much power. So if I lived in NYC, I could vote for a rep in rural Montana. I suspect this would result in a lot of one-issue reps, which may or may not be a good thing.

C) Representation by lottery. Sick of corrupt politicians? Why not treat part of government like jury duty? Making these people move to DC would be a non-starter, so maybe they should be allowed to vote remotely. Maybe allow anonymous voting for these people.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Typo posted:

The senate is an archaic 18th century institution unsuited for governing a 21st century technologically advanced nation-state. Their purpose was originally to rope the smaller colonies into joining the Union: but the sort of federation that the senate was meant to serve had long ceased to exist.

The senate no longer serve the purpose the founding father foresaw for it originally, which was to represent state governments instead of the people. Senators were originally appointed by state legislatures rather than elected by the people, but that went away with the 17th amendment and popular election for senators. So now it's just to give someone living in Wyoming more voting power than someone living in New York, which was never the point.

No, it was made to prevent "tyranny of the majority". To protect rural peoples from being overwhelmed by urban and small states from being bullied completely by larger.

So you can't just stack a bunch of assholes in coastal "elite" cities to run the whole country.

Sounds like it's working as intended!

quote:

People are not going to live in economically depressed states just so their voting power increases, so for the sake of tradition, necessary reforms don't get passed: and America falls further behind the rest of the world.

Ironically, quite a few of these "economically depressed" flyover states y'all denigrate so much run on economic surpluses, where as California runs on a such a massive deficit, which has to be made up by these smaller states.
Which is WHY someone in bumfuck, Wyoming deserves equal representation as his cultural, intellectual and political superior in the holy, progressive land of California.

quote:

The fact that the UN general Assembly is laughed at as a powerless and useless institution should also tell you how good of an idea this is

The UN GA is worthless because the UN in general is worthless.
But hey, GLOBALISM NOW NATIONALISM BAD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Shiki Dan posted:

Yah pretty much :gerty:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shiki Dan posted:

No, it was made to prevent "tyranny of the majority". To protect rural peoples from being overwhelmed by urban and small states from being bullied completely by larger.

So you can't just stack a bunch of assholes in coastal "elite" cities to run the whole country.

so people keep making this dumb argument who act like elections are a game of risk or something, and democrats just made a mistake in placing their pieces on the board. that's obviously not true: elections are supposed to reflect the will of the public, not force the public into byzantine moving arrangements to obtain their deserved political power.

democrats didn't stack a bunch of well-educated thoughtful individuals in costal elite cities because of an error of political strategy. well-educated thoughtful individuals tend to congregate in cities, and each of those those well-educated thoughtful people deserve just as much say in their government as some guy in wyoming.

Shiki Dan posted:

Ironically, quite a few of these "economically depressed" flyover states y'all denigrate so much run on economic surpluses, where as California runs on a such a massive deficit, which has to be made up by these smaller states.
Which is WHY someone in bumfuck, Wyoming deserves equal representation as his cultural, intellectual and political superior in the holy, progressive land of California.

it would probably be better if you didn't make massive basic factual errors while whining about coastal elites looking down on you. it might, you know, send the wrong message about how accurate their view that they are your intellectual superior.
california, like its sister large blue state New York, is a net payer to the federal government. california subsidizes red states, not the other way around (though wyoming, likely due to its absence of people but its large natural resource extraction industries that are taxed, is a net payer as well - though tiny in absolute terms, but noticable in per capita terms).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Shiki Dan posted:

Ironically both Wyoming and California were net contributors in FY 2016, still looking for a '17 but it's likely to be a similar result.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just want to throw in my oddball suggestion of giving every state a 3rd senator, so every state has a senator up for reelection every cycle

Also, here is what the Democrats are planning tpo do
https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1061922984116445184

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 12, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Just want to throw in my oddball suggestion of giving every state a 3rd senator, so every state has a senator up for reelection every cycle

Also, here is what the Democrats are planning tpo do
https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1061922984116445184

Giving every state another Senator is probably something we could get everyone on board with, but it sadly wouldn't change much about the balance of power in the Senate. Probably more fair to have every state have a Senatorial election every 2 years though.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Shiki Dan posted:

Except in the 18th century, the rural states were the -larger- states, the urban coastal elites were the small states. The coastal elites back then were merchants who lived in the small New England states and larger states like Virginia or Pennsylvania were agrarian. So the system was designed -in favor- of the small elites to control the country.

quote:

Sounds like it's working as intended!
So what about when the majority of country are living in coastal states?

By 2040 70% of Americans will live in 15 states, do you really think it's a good idea to let 30% of Americans decide 70% of the legislature?

quote:

Actually blue states tend to be net contributors and red states net consumers of the budget, California has a large domestic deficit but contributes surplus to the federal budget, which are in turn used to subsidize the "flyover" states. So a large reason why red states have surpluses is simply that the federal government subsidize them at high rates.

quote:

The UN GA is worthless because the UN in general is worthless.
The UNSC actually does stuff though, like bombing Libya, you can be of the opinion that's either good or bad, but the UNSC has teeth, the GA doesn't.

So you want the US to be governed like the UN GA?

Cuz that's how the senate does it

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 12, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Giving every state another Senator is probably something we could get everyone on board with, but it sadly wouldn't change much about the balance of power in the Senate. Probably more fair to have every state have a Senatorial election every 2 years though.

It's probably a bad plan as you can assume that those senators will be distributed according to the national leanings of those states, eroding the opposite-state dem advantage (i.e. there are many more red-state democratic senators than blue-state republican senators) that keeps Democrats competitive.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
just make the senate like the EC, it's not exactly proportional to population and you can still give Nebreska or w/e disproportionate representation, just not so that they literally have 40x the representation of California on a per capita basis

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Typo posted:

just make the senate like the EC, it's not exactly proportional to population and you can still give Nebreska or w/e disproportionate representation, just not so that they literally have 40x the representation of California on a per capita basis

You can't do that without either (a) sequential amendments (i.e. amend the amending process, then pass an amendment with less than 100% support) or (b) support from every single state, which you will not get.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WA state has it pretty loving good. They send a detailed information packet the week before you get the mail in ballet. Automatic registration too, and they even updated when I moved with out sending them notification.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Typo posted:

The problem is that the Constitution very clearly states that every state gets equal representation in the Senate. When California's 50 times the size of Wyoming there's no way to create a system that's justifiable because things are just too skewed.

It's why the only realistic way to fix the Senate is to turn it into something like the House of Lords imo and even that takes a Constitutional amendment to strip out its powers around treaties and Presidential appointments.

Of course, you could also go down the crazy path and have a President+House just refuse to acknowledge the Senate's authority. Not sure what would happen in that case.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

axeil posted:

The problem is that the Constitution very clearly states that every state gets equal representation in the Senate. When California's 50 times the size of Wyoming there's no way to create a system that's justifiable because things are just too skewed.

It's why the only realistic way to fix the Senate is to turn it into something like the House of Lords imo and even that takes a Constitutional amendment.

Of course, you could also go down the crazy path and have a President+House just refuse to acknowledge the Senate's authority. Not sure what would happen in that case.

The presidency isn’t much better as an institution and still promotes FPTPism.

It would be better if the executive was effectively the Speaker of the House, ala prime ministers in other countries.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

axeil posted:

It's why the only realistic way to fix the Senate is to turn it into something like the House of Lords imo and even that takes a Constitutional amendment to strip out its powers around treaties and Presidential appointments.

I think it's pretty obvious that if you want to fix the senate you need constitutional amendment or breaking down Texas and California into multiple states

ofc the 17th amendment was -actually- passed so there's hope for the former

the easiest fix to the senate atm is to abolish the legislative fillibuster, since it seems that America is having wave elections pretty much every other cycle now, that might mean both sides could hold the senate at a 50-51 majority at least once every 10 years or so, so you don't have a complete gridlock because Wyoming doesn't want what the rest of the country wants.

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 12, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lightning Knight posted:

The presidency isn’t much better as an institution and still promotes FPTPism.

It would be better if the executive was effectively the Speaker of the House, ala prime ministers in other countries.

what america actually wants is a parliamentary system with like 6 parties and coalition governments , that's why there's people screaming about wanting third parties and bipartisanship every election

the funny thing is there's an english speaking country bordering the US that has pretty much all the things Americans are afraid of (parliaments, neutered senate, socialized healthcare etc) where things are going pretty well but Americans seem convinced that all those things are inherently unworkable

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 12, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Typo posted:

what america actually wants is a parliamentary system with like 6 parties and coalition governments , that's why there's people screaming about wanting third parties every election

the funny thing is there's an english speaking country bordering the US that has pretty much all the things Americans are afraid of (parliaments, no senate, socialized healthcare etc) where things are going pretty well but Americans seem convinced that all those things are inherently unworkable

Galaxy brain idea: Canada annexes the US at our request because fixing the Constitution is too hard.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

axeil posted:

Galaxy brain idea: Canada annexes the US at our request because fixing the Constitution is too hard.

I mean I’m down to vote for this guy:

:swoon:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Step 1. Take control of Congress and the Presidency
Step 2. Carve 30 microstates out of California with the consent of their democratic state legislature.
Step 3. Pass a Constitutional Amendment fixing the Senate and Electoral College using your new microstates
Step 4. Merge the microstates back into one big state so you save money on flags.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mantis42 posted:

Step 2. Carve 30 microstates out of California with the consent of their democratic state legislature.
Step 3. Pass a Constitutional Amendment fixing the Senate and Electoral College using your new microstates
Step 4. Merge the microstates back into one big state so you save money on flags.

This sounds like an excellent plan if statehood can be granted and retracted fast enough. It's also something Republicans could do though so the reforms passed would have to be strong enough to stop that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

in the interim, approve an interstate compact between the 30 microstates that lets them maintain the unified california government

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

would it take a Constitutional amendment to change the term length of a Senator?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there any model legislation for state level electoral reform? I'm thinking of, like, a reformist version of ALEC.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

would it take a Constitutional amendment to change the term length of a Senator?

Yes.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is there any model legislation for state level electoral reform? I'm thinking of, like, a reformist version of ALEC.

Maine implemented ranked choice so there is that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Would you at least grant me, Squalid, that wresting electoral law from the clutches of the states would do much to cleanse American democracy? Is it at all feasible? The VRA seems like it merely had a regulatory effect on electoral law, but could a potential future new VRA hand over the electoral process to a federal authority?

I have zero faith that a national voting system would improve on what we already have. I'm convinced that any group of appointees assembled to nationalize electoral processes would be overrun by the kind of assholes that have deliberately hosed up voting in so many other states, and would result in everyone having a lovely system.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I think you guys are being too pessimistic about the chances of reforming/abolishing/neutering the senate.

It may seem impossible now, but it was unthinkable not long ago, no one was even having these discussions.

Going from taking it as a given, to “well it would be too difficult to change” is an improvement!

It’s helpful that senate is basically indefensible on it’s merits.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Given any approach to neutering the senate will require a constitutional amendment, I'm curious which 38 states would actually be on board with it. There are twelve states with 1 or 2 representatives already, so there's your stonewall right there since they'd be basically agreeing to lose almost all power. You also have 6 more states with 3 or 4 allocated representatives, all of which are in the south or midwest except New Mexico. You'd be hard-pressed to get any of them to vote in favor of it either. Try to do it in the legislature and you're at an even worse disadvantage because then you need 2/3 of that same non-representative senate to vote to kill itself. That'll be even harder, because not even the supportive states' senators will want to hop off the gravy train there regardless of what their population's state vote would say.

quote:

It may seem impossible now, but it was unthinkable not long ago, no one was even having these discussions.

Going from taking it as a given, to “well it would be too difficult to change” is an improvement!

It’s helpful that senate is basically indefensible on it’s merits.

No, people have been having this conversation for a good fifty+ years and it always comes down to the same thing: Inability to actually garner the votes from the states impacted to abolish their own power structures. The senate is only indefensible to people for whom it doesn't provide legislative power (I agree that it's poo poo, but I'm talking from the perspective of those it empowers). States with enough power in the House to ram things through hate the senate, but someone from Wyoming who has no power to impact the House loves having out-sized impact in the senate.

I love the idea of destroying the senate. I just don't think there's a way of doing it within our existing legal framework.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Sundae posted:

I love the idea of destroying the senate. I just don't think there's a way of doing it within our existing legal framework.

What problem do you see with Mantis42's suggestion of temporarily splitting California into umpteen states? Would that need Senate approval?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

Germany basically has the political system that mid-20th Century centrist American liberals thought ideal, but they failed to sustain such a system in their own country in this timeline and in 2018 the path to return to it looks as hopeless as ever

I think the Dems will ultimately have to try to govern without a Senate majority for the indefinite future, relying on the Presidency, House, and state governments