Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SRQ posted:

four thousand dollar climate change machine

there is no way your rear end is worth four grand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Telebite posted:

What does one do with this computer, besides Star Citizen & Bitcoin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjsXCjU1-fM

this is a stupid setup for bitcoin because they've got way too much CPU and RAM there, but we should never overestimate the intelligence of bitcoiners

wouldn't latency between the far cards and the CPUs start to become an issue?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i remember at the school district i worked at, someone had the idea to save a bundle of money by doing thin clients in most of the computer labs. "it's great, these kids are just doing word documents and web-browsing!" i think this was shortly before dual-core chips were a thing. i seem to recall the main terminal server being a blade chassis comprising six blades of dual-socket late-model Pentium III chips. think there was also a four-socket server that got deployed somewhere. basically like 20 terminals per CPU.

then Flash got really popular, so a couple of sessions with Flash-heavy webpages could bring a whole lab to a grinding halt. so the easy solution is just to block Flash, right? well, the textbook publishers started including links to 'enhanced content' or whatever that - surprise! - relied on Flash. ultimately everyone wound up hating the thin clients and we wound up going back to regular PCs for everyone.

i'd be curious how well it'd work today with the monster number of cores you can pack into a server. on the other hand i think they're just doing chromebooks and ipads for everyone now anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

i just got a 1060 and it 2.5x'd my passmark score and every game runs framecapped at full pretties on a 4670

this is possible because i'm a loving grandpa that has it driving two 20" dell 5:4's lmao

hey sup 4670/1060 buddy!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

looks like there's no reason, op

lol if there's so much excess inventory why does a 1060 still cost as much today as when i bought it like a year and a half ago?

fake edit: holy gently caress no way, i bought my 1060 back in august 2016?? :wth:

so, okay, why does a 1060 still cost as much today as it did two and a half years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

i got the 1060 6gb it’s ok I guess

yeah it's been doing me well for the past couple years