Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i finally upgraded to a 1060 recently , but i waited until i could find something quiet and energy efficient. the noise, heat and power of those huge cards just isn't something i'd ever want. the whole rgb thing is also nearly always bad, but tbh some of it looks cool if it's done tastefully. i guess that's it - huge graphics cards are tacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

you gotta sli it 3x! :getin:

surprisingly you can't sli more than two of the new cards

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

hmm now that want one

I have a Radeon something 270 🤷‍♂️ how can I tell if the 1060 is compatible with my mobo and psu

you should be fine to just drop it in without any other changes; just get one with 6gb, and don't get a mega gamer xtreme version

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAEVG6163/EVGA-GeForce-GTX1060-Graphics-Card-6GB-GDDR5-SC-Ve

do the brands really matter that much?

guess was wondering about those extra power cables

it’ll be powering 1920x1080 lol but also been wanting a nvidia for ages for rendering but last time i looked they were about six hundo so i wrote it off but thanks to this thread just looked and now just under four which i have decided is worth it for better pixels

that one you linked is overclocked, so it will draw a bit more power - the specs say it needs a 400w power supply, so just check the specs on your comp or read the label on the power supply (would need to open the pc). one with a lower clock would draw less power, but you'd still need a 300w or so regardless. a new power supply is only maybe $50 or so