Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i remember at the school district i worked at, someone had the idea to save a bundle of money by doing thin clients in most of the computer labs. "it's great, these kids are just doing word documents and web-browsing!" i think this was shortly before dual-core chips were a thing. i seem to recall the main terminal server being a blade chassis comprising six blades of dual-socket late-model Pentium III chips. think there was also a four-socket server that got deployed somewhere. basically like 20 terminals per CPU.

then Flash got really popular, so a couple of sessions with Flash-heavy webpages could bring a whole lab to a grinding halt. so the easy solution is just to block Flash, right? well, the textbook publishers started including links to 'enhanced content' or whatever that - surprise! - relied on Flash. ultimately everyone wound up hating the thin clients and we wound up going back to regular PCs for everyone.

had sun ray labs at university (backed by, i think, a fire 3800), and while one could choose to go to labs with either actual sun workstations or linux labs with fairly beefy pc's, the ray lab was the place to be because 1) it was entirely silent; and; 2) since it didn't run flash and whatnot well a lot of the more annoying parts of the student body didn't go there (though, granted, this was a second-level filtering as there were windows labs as well)

good times~

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the future sucks

in other nvidia news i've been brushing up on the new dx12 raytracing api. there's a gems book for it being published openly soon https://developer.nvidia.com/books/raytracing/raytracing_gems_preview

seems pretty straightforward, though when i last did graphics in college we juuust started to have shaders and they were all in assembly and were called pixel and vertex shaders instead of fragment shaders?? idk being able to use control flow and stuff in hlsl is much better than i remembered it.

even then pixel shaders did not necessarily correspond directly to pixels, so it was just a case of bad early naming, so now the exact same thing is called fragment shaders