Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hollismason posted:

I thought Pikachu was some kind of lizard so it's weird to me that it has fur.

Pikachu was always an electric mouse where the hell did you get this lizard idea from?

Fun fact: Pikachu got slimmer over time, originally looked like this tubby fella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
In this house we love and respect fat Pikachu.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanna pet a Pikachu so goddamn badly

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IT'S PIKACHU

gently caress

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Fun fact pikachu's name is a combination of the Japanese onomatopoeia for a thunderbolt, pika, and the noise mice make, chu
Also picacho is a Spanish word that means hilly area

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'm down with this. I will probably go and see multiple viewings.

It's me. I'm the trash that keeps things like this profitable.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Mantis42 posted:

Please change the title to "Detective Pikachu: Yo fuckin' Snorlax owns in this movie"

Holy poo poo a reference to one of my favorite YouTube videos that I completely forgot existed!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

LashLightning posted:

I'm down with this. I will probably go and see multiple viewings.

It's me. I'm the trash that keeps things like this profitable.
imo a movie like this is one of the best uses of Pokemon. Just really delve in to how loving creepy they are and emphasize that uncanny valley, and (maybe by extension) how hosed up it is to be putting these wondrously weird creatures in tiny balls and using them. Like, there's no way Pokeballs are gonna be harmless in a movie like this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always pictured Pikachu as having more short and smooth fur like, well, a rodent, though I suppose with it scaled up that much (closer to a capybara if anything) it makes sense to be longer. Psyduck looks a bit weird, but again, it's probably supposed to.

Fun fact, this thing learns Explosion. I broke a friend's brain with that once.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I want to PET Pikachu

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

imo a movie like this is one of the best uses of Pokemon. Just really delve in to how loving creepy they are and emphasize that uncanny valley, and (maybe by extension) how hosed up it is to be putting these wondrously weird creatures in tiny balls and using them. Like, there's no way Pokeballs are gonna be harmless in a movie like this.

yeah the pokemon movie is going to tell kids how hosed up they are for using pokeballs and make kids want to buy and play the games even one tiny bit less.

also none of those pokemon look "uncanny valley"(a stupid term to apply here anyway) at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The desperate need to turn Pokemon into a dark and edgy dystopia has always been stupid. Especially since it usually means stripping away everything remotely interesting about the franchise and ignoring that the games and/or show have often addressed those very issues. The idea of legendary Pokemon being terrifying and apocalyptic is literally the plot of pretty much every animated movie.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The desperate need to turn Pokemon into a dark and edgy dystopia has always been stupid. Especially since it usually means stripping away everything remotely interesting about the franchise and ignoring that the games and/or show have often addressed those very issues. The idea of legendary Pokemon being terrifying and apocalyptic is literally the plot of pretty much every animated movie.

i mean there are darker elements to pokemon but that's mostly just to reinforce that pokemon are actual monsters

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Basically in a world where your pet dog can breathe fire, people just deal with it by not being wusses about it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This movie doesn't look like a dystopia

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

This movie doesn't look like a dystopia

I know, I don't think it is. But it's an idea that seems to come up every time people talk about Pokemon.

Looks like they are going for a Roger Rabbit cartoon-noir thing with more of the trappings than the themes, the city looks big and dark but not dangerous. Jigglypuff may be the obligatory struggling lounge singer.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Considering the shot of a Bulbasaur heard trotting down a stream, I'm sure it'll have a bunch of nice shots in it.

Possibly part of the humour will be Pikapool launching into noir tropes with the rest of the world refusing to go along - like the Mr. Mime who'll probably tell them what he knows if the human just asks him nicely.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just thought they were all lizards because Pokemon meant like lizard in Japanese.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wish it was more like Cool World.

would prefer nobody gently caress the pikachu

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Martman posted:

Given by the trailer how many Pokémon are just out and about in Rime City and there isn’t a single Pokeball shown they might just not use them there.

Anyway I would consider the movie a success if it just explores what society would be like with Pokémon, at least outside of the perspective of an up and coming preteen Pokémon trainer.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wish it was more like Cool World.

Lopunny would if she could...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

"live action"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Reynolds is just in an actual pikachu costume and using camera angle tricks to look smaller.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bullshit that they didn't cast an actual pikachu

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I just thought they were all lizards because Pokemon meant like lizard in Japanese.

no it doesn't it means pocket monster.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Did you think the ones that look exactly like a duck, fox, butterfly cat and bird were also lizards?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ryan Reynolds has actually been a Pikachu all this time.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did you think the ones that look exactly like a duck, fox, butterfly cat and bird were also lizards?

Well, they do all lay eggs...

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
The concept had me wondering WTF the producers were thinking, but Ryan Reynolds's dialogue had me moderately optimistic.

Was the Detective Pikachu game actually popular enough to warrant its own movie adaptation, or did the producers just want a Pokemon movie that was something other than "such-and-such legendary pokemon threatens to gently caress poo poo up".

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically in a world where your pet dog can breathe fire, people just deal with it by not being wusses about it.

And by operating by cartoon physics with respect to things like fire, electricity, and blunt-force trauma.

And presumably by learning very quickly how to properly treat animals.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cockmaster posted:

The concept had me wondering WTF the producers were thinking, but Ryan Reynolds's dialogue had me moderately optimistic.

Was the Detective Pikachu game actually popular enough to warrant its own movie adaptation, or did the producers just want a Pokemon movie that was something other than "such-and-such legendary pokemon threatens to gently caress poo poo up".

They've probably been trying to find a way to do a live action Pokemon movie for years, Detective Pikachu was just a really good idea to base it on.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

They've probably been trying to find a way to do a live action Pokemon movie for years, Detective Pikachu was just a really good idea to base it on.

Someone in another thread said that they went with Detective Pikachu because it was a cheaper film - the other pitches were 150 million plus or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MrFlibble posted:

Someone in another thread said that they went with Detective Pikachu because it was a cheaper film - the other pitches were 150 million plus or something.

I can see that. I imagine every other Pokemon movie pitch is a lot more like "this story revolves around Mewtwo or some other insanely powerful legendary Pokemon" which I'm sure would've had a billion very expensive special effects and sets to build. This movie feels a lot more like a personal story about two characters so it's a lot more grounded

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm curious what the context is for the earth folding in half towards the end of the trailer, if that's just a pokemon using earthquake it's a wonder the city still stands.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

And by operating by cartoon physics with respect to things like fire, electricity, and blunt-force trauma.

And presumably by learning very quickly how to properly treat animals.

i mean in the games it's pretty clearly hinted at that at least trained pokemon tend to treat humans with kid gloves and wild pokemon can be dangerous as gently caress

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Elfgames posted:

i mean in the games it's pretty clearly hinted at that at least trained pokemon tend to treat humans with kid gloves and wild pokemon can be dangerous as gently caress

And a lot of evolved and more powerful Pokemon can be hard to train. The traditional badge mechanic means you need to earn a particular gym badge for traded Pokemon above a certain level to respect you, otherwise they'll do whatever they want in battle. (it pretty rarely shows up, it's basically just a slight deterrent to cheesing the game with a powerful traded Pokemon right away)

Even some regular ones can be a handful, which is probably why most trainers you see in games that aren't full-time trainers have Pokemon that their pursuit lends itself to; Fight type Pokemon are trained by martial artists since they like to spar with their trainers, Psychic types are preferred by trainers with psychic powers (oh yeah, there's humans with psychic powers, too. Some of them are crazy powerful), and most random people like kids and office workers tend to have cute and manageable Pokemon, while various workers tend to have Pokemon ideal for assisting in their jobs and/or thematically appropriate to them. Even in the first game you see a Machop using its super-strength to flatten ground for a construction site.

Pokemon owes a lot of its stylistic DNA to Earthbound, which was unique for being a JRPG set in not a fantasy land of some kind but a recognisable modern-day society, where you have adventures and battles in office buildings, villages and shops as much as the wilderness, except in Pokemon the fantasy elements are completely integrated into everyday life. And the movie so far seems to bring this across well; it's stylistically different from the games and anime, but doesn't diverge on any significant details at all.

Eox posted:

I'm curious what the context is for the earth folding in half towards the end of the trailer, if that's just a pokemon using earthquake it's a wonder the city still stands.

It's also implied that trained battling Pokemon pull their punches a lot in competitive settings, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was Legendary Pokemon encounter in the climax.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I can see that. I imagine every other Pokemon movie pitch is a lot more like "this story revolves around Mewtwo or some other insanely powerful legendary Pokemon" which I'm sure would've had a billion very expensive special effects and sets to build. This movie feels a lot more like a personal story about two characters so it's a lot more grounded

the story of the game (and from the trailer it seems pretty source-accurate) revolves around mewtwo

specifically drug dealers using mewtwo genes to make drugs that cause pokemon to go insane and seriously gently caress poo poo up

mewtwo does not like this and wants it stopped

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

the story of the game (and from the trailer it seems pretty source-accurate) revolves around mewtwo

specifically drug dealers using mewtwo genes to make drugs that cause pokemon to go insane and seriously gently caress poo poo up

mewtwo does not like this and wants it stopped

How did they get acess to his genes?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Charlz Guybon posted:

He spent a lot of time with the Ditto's in the Day Care.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Charlz Guybon posted:

You know how there was a big thing around the fall of the Soviet Union with the possibility of nuclear material falling into the hands of criminal elements and rogue states? Like that, only with Cinnabar Island and Pocket Monster goo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cinnabar island didn't fall apart politically it just got covered in lava and everyone died(rip lorei).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope the plot of the movie ends with a literal Deus Ex Machina when the main character lifts up on a truck and finds the Pokegods.

e: Or maybe a scene where his Uncle, who works at Nintendo Silpho Co, gives him the all powerful secret Pokemon, Pikablu.