Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

http://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1147152940546887681

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

wdarkk posted:

This is Zweilous. Each head has its own brain and personality.

Zweilous evolves into Hydreigon. Only Hydreigon's central head has a brain.

the little crab mite thing dies during the evolution of paras and the mushroom goes from simply being an infection on the bug to controlling the corpse.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Every single Cubone kills its mother in childbirthPokébirth

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is there a thread anywhere for the TCG discussion?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Mr Mime audio commentary is him doing mimics on the bottom of the screen for the whole film?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Mr Mime audio commentary is him doing mimics on the bottom of the screen for the whole film?

I hope so. Either that or it's Michael Key being an Anger Translator for the scene.

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there a thread anywhere for the TCG discussion?
In TradGames
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762238

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ZZZorcerer posted:

It's gonna be him doing mimics for half of it and then halfway through he'll dramatically open his mouth and just say his own name over and over again like, you know, a Pokemon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TwoPair posted:

It's gonna be him doing mimics for half of it and then halfway through he'll dramatically open his mouth and just say his own name over and over again like, you know, a Pokemon.

Except every "Mr. Mime!" is voiced by a different person - all the extras, cameramen, makeup artists, directors, those-people-who-do-the-things-nobody-remembers-or-cares-about-that's-integral-to-the-creation-of-the-film-and-adds-an-extra-ten-minutes-to-the-credits...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Or it's Reynolds describing what Mr Mime is doing in the booth.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I want the cut where Pikachu says "pika pika" instead of talking

And the R-rated version, of course

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dunno if this has been brought up yet, just saw it in the games thread:

https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/07/mewtwo-strikes-back-evolution-impressions-changes-and-sequels posted:

I also spoke with a Legendary executive at a film festival a few weeks ago where one of my films was showing. He said that Legendary wasn’t yet sure if they want to make more live action Pokemon movies since Detective Pikachu didn’t make as much as they hoped.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

It'll just be a silent audio track. Animating a and rendering a CG character for 2+ hours of screen time would be insanely expensive for a gag commentary track (also I worked on the movie and haven't heard anything about us doing more work for the home video release)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
man the Mr. Mime torture scene was gross as hell, what the gently caress

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That scene was cartoonish and hilarious.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That's one of the best scenes in the movie

The sound effects are what really sells it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All it's missing is Stuck in the middle with you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tim is lowkey incredibly hardcore. He's the most millennial protagonist in a children's movie I've ever seen.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If anyone wants to inject pure nostalgia directly into your veins pokemon.com is streaming Pokemon: The First Movie for free for a limited time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When the first movie came out I was doing badly in school (this would never change btw, I hated doing homework) and so I wasn't allowed to go see it with my friends on opening weekend. This meant I missed out on the limited edition Mew card. :rip:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tim is lowkey incredibly hardcore. He's the most millennial protagonist in a children's movie I've ever seen.

it's kind of dark how RelatableTM he is, and how transparent this is as a ploy to get the young adults who loved pokemon when it first came out to relate to him, while still being both A: good and B: disturbingly true to life

he's a drat accountant!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I thought he was a junior assistant insurance adjuster?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Macaluso posted:

When the first movie came out I was doing badly in school (this would never change btw, I hated doing homework) and so I wasn't allowed to go see it with my friends on opening weekend. This meant I missed out on the limited edition Mew card. :rip:

That was the second movie.

The first movie had a banger promo card in Mewtwo though for that early era of the card game.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
What Tim and Pikachu did to Mr. Mime is at best a mock execution which is a war crime under the Geneva convention. They're as bad as Harry Potter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

I thought he was a junior assistant insurance adjuster?

Which, as probably mentioned, is a subtle joke given insurance claims investigator is the third most common noir protagonist occupation. (Since insurance will continue investigating after the cops and private detectives have given up because there's money on the line)

Incredibly relatable as a pragmatic, cynical young man who's given up on his dreams as impractical a long time ago and gotten used to being treated like a child forever, but is also perfectly capable of being sincere and relating to others very different from himself- he even gets along better with Pokemon treating them as equals rather than the usual status quo. No wonder Mewtwo likes him.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The very first Pokémon we see is an inconsolable Cubone, and Tim shows no compassion towards it or even tries to help it. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth that never left. They did an excellent job with the Pokémon, but the humans all loving sucked in this movie and it wasn’t everything I had hoped for.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The Mr Mime audio commentary is three minutes long, and there's only a joke for one minute of it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

remigious posted:

The very first Pokémon we see is an inconsolable Cubone, and Tim shows no compassion towards it or even tries to help it. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth that never left. They did an excellent job with the Pokémon, but the humans all loving sucked in this movie and it wasn’t everything I had hoped for.

[protagonist experiences growth]

what the gently caress, i didn't pay for this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole point of that scene is his dumbass friend is all 'It's sad about its dead mom, just like you!' :haw: You can't really blame him for not being able to take the whole thing seriously.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

remigious posted:

you can't console a cubone that's it's whole thing, it's life is hell.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

cubone rhymes with alone and you can’t change that

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

remigious posted:

Tim isn't into Pokemon when we meet him and is a depressed echo of himself after everything went wrong when his mom died.

The Cubone is a direct reflection of Tim. He isn't ready to emotionally address these things when we meet, that's the whole point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Chronojam posted:

Tim isn't into Pokemon when we meet him and is a depressed echo of himself after everything went wrong when his mom died.

The Cubone is a direct reflection of Tim. He isn't ready to emotionally address these things when we meet, that's the whole point.

If a sequel follows a totally different cast it would be cute to have a scene with Tim in the background, chilling with that same Cubone, both of them maturing and able to face their problems head on. Cubone wouldn't be his partner, they'd just hang out sometimes.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TwoPair posted:

Just this scene but with a Machoke.

Detective Pikachu 2 should just be an extended riff on The Long Goodbye with Machoke in the Arnold Schwarzenegger bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6zqLx8tii4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

If a sequel follows a totally different cast it would be cute to have a scene with Tim in the background, chilling with that same Cubone, both of them maturing and able to face their problems head on. Cubone wouldn't be his partner, they'd just hang out sometimes.

It does seem implied that Tim is more comfortable treating Pokemon as equals rather than subordinates in the traditional trainer relationship, especially since Mewtwo seems to take a liking to him for making a leap of faith in Pokemon being able to understand his 'please for the love of Arceus help my friend' tone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does seem implied that Tim is more comfortable treating Pokemon as equals rather than subordinates in the traditional trainer relationship, especially since Mewtwo seems to take a liking to him for making a leap of faith in Pokemon being able to understand his 'please for the love of Arceus help my friend' tone.

Tim and Marowak playing, throwing the bone to each other like a frisby :3:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

At the end of the sequel Cubone removes the skull and presents it to Tim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

At the end of the sequel Cubone removes the skull and presents it to Tim.

To be honest it would have owned if the Pokemon version of Batman was a Cuboneman. Literally mother is dead.