Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I doubt marill will be in this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mantis42 posted:

I hope the plot of the movie ends with a literal Deus Ex Machina when the main character lifts up on a truck and finds the Pokegods.

e: Or maybe a scene where his Uncle, who works at Nintendo Silpho Co, gives him the all powerful secret Pokemon, Pikablu.

Be kind of funny if characters prayed to Arceus or swore by its name or something..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

wdarkk posted:

Be kind of funny if characters prayed to Arceus or swore by its name or something..

Arceus isn't actually the Western conception of god, oddly enough. Eastern creator deities usually create the universe by accident or a whim and leave the rest to more hands-on gods.

Stairmaster posted:

cinnabar island didn't fall apart politically it just got covered in lava and everyone died(rip lorei).

Canonically in the games the eruption was predicted and there were no deaths. Though in the anime Mewtwo blew the lab and Dr Fuji right the gently caress up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's hilarious that in Pokemon you can essentially enslave the thing that created the universe inside a tiny ball and make it beat up rats

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's hilarious that in Pokemon you can essentially enslave the thing that created the universe inside a tiny ball and make it beat up rats

I think the in game justification is that the arceus you can catch is a super forgotten and nearly powerless fragment of His whole

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

I think the in game justification is that the arceus you can catch is a super forgotten and nearly powerless fragment of His whole

i mean arceus is described as having created the universe with it's 1,000 hands which the game sprite doesn't have or something so each so each caught arceus being a hand of the true being is possible

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Calaveron posted:

Do you have a source for this? Because I never remembered any justification for kids carrying around monsters that can unmake the universe if they have a bad day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RatHat posted:

Do you have a source for this? Because I never remembered any justification for kids carrying around monsters that can unmake the universe if they have a bad day.

It's more of an implication, most of the stuff around Arceus is really weird. The original event to find it wasn't even ever made officially available despite having its own area and kickass (and strangely familiar) theme tune.

I love the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum plot, it's basically almost about a Cthulhu cult whose leader tries to summon and take the power of God, but ends up, depending on version, summoning a slightly less terrifying demigod, or possibly equally terrifying ghost dragon demon banished from reality.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And a lot of evolved and more powerful Pokemon can be hard to train. The traditional badge mechanic means you need to earn a particular gym badge for traded Pokemon above a certain level to respect you, otherwise they'll do whatever they want in battle. (it pretty rarely shows up, it's basically just a slight deterrent to cheesing the game with a powerful traded Pokemon right away)

Even some regular ones can be a handful, which is probably why most trainers you see in games that aren't full-time trainers have Pokemon that their pursuit lends itself to; Fight type Pokemon are trained by martial artists since they like to spar with their trainers, Psychic types are preferred by trainers with psychic powers (oh yeah, there's humans with psychic powers, too. Some of them are crazy powerful), and most random people like kids and office workers tend to have cute and manageable Pokemon, while various workers tend to have Pokemon ideal for assisting in their jobs and/or thematically appropriate to them. Even in the first game you see a Machop using its super-strength to flatten ground for a construction site.

Pokemon owes a lot of its stylistic DNA to Earthbound, which was unique for being a JRPG set in not a fantasy land of some kind but a recognisable modern-day society, where you have adventures and battles in office buildings, villages and shops as much as the wilderness, except in Pokemon the fantasy elements are completely integrated into everyday life. And the movie so far seems to bring this across well; it's stylistically different from the games and anime, but doesn't diverge on any significant details at all.

It's also implied that trained battling Pokemon pull their punches a lot in competitive settings, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was Legendary Pokemon encounter in the climax.

My guess given that reality seems to be folding (and a Sinnoh remake is probably coming soonish) is that thing in the trasiler is probably either Palkia, the space Pokemon, or it's the distortion realm leaking in an Giratina showing up.

Giratina makes more sense as a big bad for the film.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Arceus isn't actually the Western conception of god, oddly enough. Eastern creator deities usually create the universe by accident or a whim and leave the rest to more hands-on gods.

Sort of? There's still a big rear end Catholic style cathedral to it in Sinnoh where you can read said creation story.

So who the gently caress knows. I subscribe to the caught legendaries/super intelligent pokemon are playing along school of thought myself.

Like yeah Alakazam are hyper intelligent and them going along with us makes zero sense. Exactly. It makes sense to something as smart as they are though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Note that Alakazam can't exist, or at least aren't commonly seen, without human intervention. (since they only evolve via trading) Would make sense that the ones we do see are happy to integrate into human-dominated society, especially since they're generally trained up from the very weak Abra.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there isn't a sassy Eevee I'm gonna be super pissed

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Not really promising when your lead character can be replaced with Ted the teddy bear or Rocket Racoon for the same results. The trailer even showcases the style of "comedy" where characters mumble the obvious:

"You're adorable! They can't understand me can they?

“Hi. Okay. A can. Shoving. Pushing. My problem is that I push people away and then hate them for leaving.”

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

MrQwerty posted:

the story of the game (and from the trailer it seems pretty source-accurate) revolves around mewtwo

specifically drug dealers using mewtwo genes to make drugs that cause pokemon to go insane and seriously gently caress poo poo up

mewtwo does not like this and wants it stopped

Wait really?

Now I have to imagine a realistic CGI Mewtwo. Will it be hairy like Jigglypuff as well? :chanpop:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I would have laughed maniacally at the trailer if it were literally any franchise but Pokemon, but as it stands I'm a little excited.
You caught me, movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum in one of its many bonkers plot points revealed the whole "Pokemon jump out of tall grass attacking you and then you beat them up and capture them" mechanic is legit the Pokemon fulfilling an ancient primordial pact between Man and Pokey Man. They attack you to try and find if you're worthy of training them essentially.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum in one of its many bonkers plot points revealed the whole "Pokemon jump out of tall grass attacking you and then you beat them up and capture them" mechanic is legit the Pokemon fulfilling an ancient primordial pact between Man and Pokey Man. They attack you to try and find if you're worthy of training them essentially.

or it's just a folk legend

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Elfgames posted:

or it's just a folk legend

It's literally out of a book of folk tales and legends and all. Gen IV in retrospect really went cosmic about the nature of the Pokemon world, later gens mostly didn't have that sheer scope.

On some thought, having a talking Pokemon as a main character makes a lot of sense for a live-action Pokemon movie, as well as a relatively standalone story; introducing viewers to the world of Pokemon with perspectives from both humans and Pokemon, and having a cleaner slate for a standalone story rather than the games and anime's open-ended adventure formula.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's a shame that Mewtwo is going to be wasted as the villain of this movie when the One True Mewtwo Movie would basically be Prometheus but with a genetically modified Pokemon instead of an android that develops something like freewill.

The monster spawned at the end of the movie instead of the Xenomorph is, of course, a Genosect. And the engineers are all different God-level legendary pokémon, and the one survivor (who wrecks everyone's poo poo at the end) is Mew.

EDIT: I mean come on,

a pair of scientists who are convinced that some great creator (Arceus?) is behind everything find some vague evidence that a Pokemon from far beyond the reaches of our universe exists, so a really rich guy (a Silph, natch) creates a team who goes on an expedition to that planet, with all sorts of scientists, explorers, etc. They're assisted by Mewtwo, who was created to be a weapon beyond the wildest reaches of our imagination but is basically stuck as the gofer/slave on the ship for everyone else, despite his superiority, because of a hitch in his creation that makes him subservient (which slowly fades away over the course of the movie). When the group arrives at the planet hinted at in the archeological find, they find a mountain that is an exact likeness of Mt. Coronet in Sinnoh, with a temple at the top which has evidence of long-gone legendary pokemon. A room full of eggs is found, one of them is brought back to the ship, and it hatches into a Mew, which inspires Mewtwo to break free of the shackles of his enslavement and gently caress everyone else up, but it turns out that Mew was just manipulating Mewtwo to destroy the interlopers and create a path back to earth, which Mew plans to remake in the image of his long-forgotten Pokemon haven. One surviving member of the expedition grabs an egg that Mewtwo somehow transfers it's consciousness into and attempts to kill Mew before it is able to leave the planet. At the end another one of the eggs that got corrupted somehow hatches into a Genosect.

Then the sequel is straight up Alien with a Genosect. Give me my money, Warner Brothers.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 21, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the edgy pokemon fan-fiction.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Thank you for the edgy pokemon fan-fiction.

i'm sorry that you don't want a movie where a dry-humored Mewtwo (voiced by Michael Fassbender) rides a bicycle around a spaceship while reading, watching Lawrence of Arabia and shooting basketballs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wanna pet dat pikachu

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm sorry that you don't want a movie where a dry-humored Mewtwo (voiced by Michael Fassbender) rides a bicycle around a spaceship while reading, watching Lawrence of Arabia and shooting basketballs

Sounds bad.

precision posted:

Wanna pet dat pikachu

Sounds good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, that definitely falls into all the worst elements of terrible Pokemon fanfiction, all it needs is jarring sexual content and an obvious author-insert Mary Sue.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

They should do that, make it 3 hours long, and have Mewtwo only able to say his name. Like every non-Detective Pikachu Pokemon.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

They should do that, make it 3 hours long, and have Mewtwo only able to say his name. Like every non-Detective Pikachu Pokemon.

woah detective pikachu is also only saying his name. tim just has brain damage

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Detective Pikachu is a special evolution of Pikachu's whose name is "Oh Geez, Here We Go. I know you can't understand me, but put down the stapler[...]"-mon

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

In Germany it's piKAchu, but in the states it's Pikachu

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Wanna pet dat pikachu

loving lol if you wouldn't immediately rub its fuzzy tummy

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mantis42 posted:

Detective Pikachu is a special evolution of Pikachu's whose name is "Oh Geez, Here We Go. I know you can't understand me, but put down the stapler[...]"-mon

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/DetPikachuMovie/status/1096454157442048001

New trailer with some new Pokémon. Lickitung included.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Bulbasaurs look kinda like Toothless. And I saw a Dodrio in the crowd scene.

I actually like the Gen 1 focus given a lot of Pokemon that haven't showed up much in years get a bit of spotlight.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Still blown away that Pikachu isn't a lizard.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Still blown away that Pikachu isn't a lizard.

This guy

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Bulbasaurs look kinda like Toothless. And I saw a Dodrio in the crowd scene.

I actually like the Gen 1 focus given a lot of Pokemon that haven't showed up much in years get a bit of spotlight.

It's a smart move too so you can put Totodile, Spinarak, and that psychic buck in the sequel and Elle Fanning as Gardevoir in the third

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I genuinely appreciate the decision to make pokemon creepy and ugly instead of cute

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They showed Snubbel in one of the teasers, and there's some Emoglas in the city I think. There's also some Ludicolo's in the background of the bar scene. Plus the Greninjas. There's more than just gen 1 Pokemon, I think the trailers are focusing on those more since those are the most familiar to more people

I'm still blown away how they made them fit in a realistic setting but kept their designs in tact. They so easily could've redesigned all of them and this movie would've looked horrible. Look at that Lickitung! It's so cute!

Calibanibal posted:

I genuinely appreciate the decision to make pokemon creepy and ugly instead of cute

I don't think they're creepy at all. Besides Mr Mime I guess, but Mr Mime is creepy in the first place

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So a coffee addiction is the film noir for kids equivalent of whiskey, right?

The idea of a Pikachu on caffeine kinda scares me. They're already the size of a toddler as it is and are living batteries. And the movie doesn't seem to be downplaying how dangerous Pokemon can be.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
If a loving Pokemon movie makes a billion dollars, which this one might pull off, then I just hope a mass extinction event occurs on Earth sooner than later. We're hosed anyway.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Slutitution posted:

If a loving Pokemon movie makes a billion dollars, which this one might pull off, then I just hope a mass extinction event occurs on Earth sooner than later. We're hosed anyway.

Pokemon is fine. Good, even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cockmaster posted:

And presumably by learning very quickly how to properly treat animals.

beating them into submission and making them fight eachother *nods*