Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Typo posted:

I disagree with this, I think the traditional Moscow-ruled USSR was a rebrand of the Russian Empire, but Gorbachev's New Union treaty would have transformed the USSR into something which looked like a stronger version of the EU, with SSRs controlling their own domestic policy but a federal government controlling foreign policy and an All-Union armed forces. In a referendum held in 1991: almost 80% of the Soviet population outside of the Baltics, Armenian and Georgia voted to continue the USSR under the New Union treaty.

Yeltsin could have signed onto a version of that (as he actually did in actual history -before- the August coup), as late as November 1991 he was assuring people the Union was going to continue, and when Belavezha Accords was signed, Yeltsin actually immediately announced that it was going to be replaced by the CIS. At the time, lots of people thought that the CIS -was- going to be something like a rebranded New Union Treaty.

The USSR had existed for 70 years and during that time, factors other than Communist ideology and party discipline had already developed to hold the Union together. There was the shared memory of the Great Patriotic War, pride in the Soviet armed forces, a common langa franca (something like 80% of non-Russians spoke Russian fluently), a common integrated economic zone with free movement of goods and people, the economic ministries and Central bank centered in Moscow with branches in the Repubics, the inter-migration of Soviet citizens between Republics, the list goes on.

We could discuss about the structure of subsidies from Russia to Uzbekistan or w/e, but that's no different than discussion German subsidies to Greece in whether it's worth Germany propping up the EU today. When discussing whether the USSR could hold together under those lines, it sounds -a lot- like a debate on whether the EU is worth or will continue on -today-. The answer is of course, it could have continued on as long as the man of the moment: Boris Yeltsin, decided it was politically convenient to.

That's fair. I think that version of the USSR is so different than the "USSR" people think of when discussing it that discussing it when discussing if the USSR could have been preserved is hard because its sort of preserved and sort of not (and because it never really got implemented I don't know very much about it and completely forgot about it, which is an oversight on my part). To me, that intermediate USSR more feels like the transition from the British Empire to the Commonwealth than the EU, and if I had to guess that's my bet for how it would have ended up by now if it had implemented. The various states would sort of drift away and become more and more actually independent, until it became something like the Commonwealth where it was little more than a social club for former Empire subjects, with legal fictions about how they were all one nation that are as a practical matter meaningless. But it's definitely an interesting question of what might have happened - unified military forces, in particular, would have been a powerful force keeping the nations together, but I think that would have eventually started breaking off anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Actually, was the USSR post-Stalin really an empire?

Empires by the traditional definition involved extraction of resources from the periphery to the center, in the USSR it was the center which subsidized the periphery

I mean, it was an empire in the sense that there was to-down centralized control of many peoples from the capital, but it doesn't fit the definition of empire very well imo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

evilweasel posted:

That's fair. I think that version of the USSR is so different than the "USSR" people think of when discussing it that discussing it when discussing if the USSR could have been preserved is hard because its sort of preserved and sort of not (and because it never really got implemented I don't know very much about it and completely forgot about it, which is an oversight on my part). To me, that intermediate USSR more feels like the transition from the British Empire to the Commonwealth than the EU, and if I had to guess that's my bet for how it would have ended up by now if it had implemented. The various states would sort of drift away and become more and more actually independent, until it became something like the Commonwealth where it was little more than a social club for former Empire subjects, with legal fictions about how they were all one nation that are as a practical matter meaningless. But it's definitely an interesting question of what might have happened - unified military forces, in particular, would have been a powerful force keeping the nations together, but I think that would have eventually started breaking off anyway.

or the alternative was that the New Union would have re-centralized over time due (like the EU today) economic necessity and convenience, a common currency with a central bank in Moscow alone automatically makes it more EU than Commonwealth imo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Typo posted:

Empires by the traditional definition involved extraction of resources from the periphery to the center, in the USSR it was the center which subsidized the periphery

I mean, it was an empire in the sense that there was to-down centralized control of many peoples from the capital, but it doesn't fit the definition of empire very well imo

I'm relying on a more political definition of an empire, top-down control of other areas or nations by a dominant nation, held together though the power of the dominant nation. The other nations in the USSR didn't really get a say in if they were going to be part of the USSR, despite the political fiction it wasn't a voluntary confederation. it was a political organization dictated by Moscow and held together through the power of Russia. It's a little odd because you've got both the USSR and the Warsaw Pact as areas you could suggest are part of the empire, with varying levels of integration, but the USSR itself sort of mapped onto Imperial Russia, and the Warsaw Pact is more the countries that were effectively conquered by Russia in WWII.

Typo posted:

or the alternative was that the New Union would have re-centralized over time due (like the EU today) economic necessity and convenience, a common currency with a central bank in Moscow alone automatically makes it more EU than Commonwealth imo

The key difference, I think, is that the EU was created voluntarily so that it trended towards greater control, while the Commonwealth was more of a retraction of central control so that it trended towards less. It could have re-centralized over time, but my assumption is that the trendline would continue because getting a little bit of independence tends to trend towards wanting more, even where it doesn't make a whole lot of economic or political sense.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Typo posted:

It's actually extremely normal for empires to subsidize their periphery. There are many reasons for this, but extracting wealth is only one of several reasons that a state might want to control a territory. Sometimes they are simply held for prestige, other times because they are strategic locations. Sometimes they are theoretically supposed to produce returns but the investments just never pay off like a franchise in a crummy location.

We can see this today in US investment in Guam and Samoa. It was also the case for many of the European colonies in Africa, which were frequently major resource sinks. Alternatively you can also look at the Roman Empire's investment along the Rhine frontier, where the empire built up extensive infrastructure to efficiently move troops and supplies around the border.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If you want, the Yeltsin of that period 1990-1991 certainly was relying on nationalism at the core of what he was appealing to and relying on the surge of Russian nationalism in particular that had been growing during the 1980s.

If he really believed in anything except his favorite brands of drink, that is more stable.

As for "empire", lets be clear it is going to get down into a tedious debatable over definitions. I do think the Soviet Union was run differently than the British Empire at very least though. It is clear that regional magnates did have influence in the center (Baghirov and Aliyev are good examples of this).

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

evilweasel posted:

The key difference, I think, is that the EU was created voluntarily so that it trended towards greater control, while the Commonwealth was more of a retraction of central control so that it trended towards less. It could have re-centralized over time, but my assumption is that the trendline would continue because getting a little bit of independence tends to trend towards wanting more, even where it doesn't make a whole lot of economic or political sense.

The support and inclusion into the New Union Treaty had both popular support and enough benefits for the Republican political elites for it to be considered voluntary.

no matter the origin of the Union, once you are in it you are subjected to the same incentive/disincentive structure as EU member states, Greece probably really loving hates the EU and the Euro but can't leave because of the material incentives. Imagine if an SSR 10 years down the road decide it wanted its own currency but "derublization" would be so economically disruptive it's not worth the cost. And the natural path for a monetary union is probably some kind of a renewed fiscal union centered in moscow.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Squalid posted:

It's actually extremely normal for empires to subsidize their periphery. There are many reasons for this, but extracting wealth is only one of several reasons that a state might want to control a territory. Sometimes they are simply held for prestige, other times because they are strategic locations. Sometimes they are theoretically supposed to produce returns but the investments just never pay off like a franchise in a crummy location.

We can see this today in US investment in Guam and Samoa. It was also the case for many of the European colonies in Africa, which were frequently major resource sinks. Alternatively you can also look at the Roman Empire's investment along the Rhine frontier, where the empire built up extensive infrastructure to efficiently move troops and supplies around the border.

And the USSR, specifically, wanted borders as far west as possible because Europe had a history of trying to invade them and needing to rely on trading space for time. Hence the whole "we're just going to shift the entire nation of Poland westward a bit, they can have some of Germany to make up for the parts we're taking" - the USSR had absolutely no intention of letting anything like Barbarossa happen again.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

If you want, the Yeltsin of that period 1990-1991 certainly was relying on nationalism at the core of what he was appealing to and relying on the surge of Russian nationalism in particular that had been growing during the 1980s.

If he really believed in anything except his favorite brands of drink, that is more stable.

As for "empire", lets be clear it is going to get down into a tedious debatable over definitions. I do think the Soviet Union was run differently than the British Empire at very least though. It is clear that regional magnates did have influence in the center (Baghirov and Aliyev are good examples of this).

there was never a popular movement in -Russia- against the USSR, in fact just a year after the collapse polls show even in Pro-Yeltsin Moscow showed 2/3 "regrets" the collapse of the USSR

I basically stopped buying the narrative that Russian nationalism brought down the USSR, at least not directly, it looks more like Yeltsin won the 1991 election on a whole host of issues (dissolving the union was not among them) and dissolved the USSR as a political play to get rid of Gorbachev, the feelings of the Russian people didn't really matter

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

evilweasel posted:

And the USSR, specifically, wanted borders as far west as possible because Europe had a history of trying to invade them and needing to rely on trading space for time. Hence the whole "we're just going to shift the entire nation of Poland westward a bit, they can have some of Germany to make up for the parts we're taking" - the USSR had absolutely no intention of letting anything like Barbarossa happen again.

Also, Poland and the Soviet Union were squabbling over the same area during the 1919-1920 war. The Soviet leadership from Civil War onward saw that area as a territory that should be part of the Soviet Union, the purges of Poles during the 1930s in Western Ukraine during the 1930s was part of this perspective.

Typo posted:

there was never a popular movement in -Russia- against the USSR, in fact just a year after the collapse polls show even in Pro-Yeltsin Moscow showed 2/3 "regrets" the collapse of the USSR

I basically stopped buying the narrative that Russian nationalism brought down the USSR, at least not directly, it looks more like Yeltsin won the 1991 election on a whole host of issues (dissolving the union was not among them) and dissolved the USSR as a political play to get rid of Gorbachev, the feelings of the Russian people didn't really matter

Yeah, plenty of people that can actively remember that time, there was plenty of reason to be upset. Also, 1992 was one of the worst years in post-war in post-war Russian history, it isn't that surprising to see a shift in opinion. Also there is a still a third that didn't regret it even so.

Also, getting rid of Gorbachev was a motivation, but he was clearly against the entire Soviet project at that point.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 16, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, plenty of people that can actively remember that time, there was plenty of reason to be upset. Also, 1992 was one of the worst years in post-war in post-war Russian history, it isn't that surprising to see a shift in opinion. Also there is a still a third that didn't regret it even so.
there's plenty of people upset over the EU today (see Brexit), and plenty of people upset with the US governemnt today, yet probability for the collapse of either the EU or the US are very low. And in the US there aren't many people who even if they think the system is broken wants to dissolve the Union. I really don't think public opinion translates into political collapse as easily as commonly imagined.

In may ways we over-learned the lessons of 1980s-90s, the last few years have shown that authoritarian regimes willing to resist popular will could stay in power indefinitely, and it also showed even really lovely regimes tend to have more popular support than imagined.

quote:

Also, getting rid of Gorbachev was a motivation, but he was clearly against the entire Soviet project at that point.
Yeltsin didn't really gave a poo poo about the Soviet project either way except in relations to his own power, if he decided that the Soviet project put him as #1 guy in charge, he supports it, if it didn't, he opposed it

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 16, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Typo posted:

there's plenty of people upset over the EU today (see Brexit), and plenty of people upset with the US governemnt today, yet probability for the collapse of either the EU or the US are very low. And in the US there aren't many people who even if they think the system is broken wants to dissolve the Union. I really don't think public opinion translates into political collapse as easily as commonly imagined.

In may ways we over-learned the lessons of 1980s-90s, the last few years have shown that authoritarian regimes willing to resist popular will could stay in power indefinitely
Again, I don't think he really gave a poo poo about the Soviet project either way except in relations to his own power, if he decided that the Soviet project put him as #1 guy in charge, he supports it, if it didn't, he opposed it

Uh and sometimes they fall, look at the Arab spring, Egypt was going to have Mubarak forever until it didn't. During the late 1980s/early 1990s, average people were suffering just because honestly the Soviets were in all honesty broke and desperate to try to scrape up the cash for imports. Isn't a lie that in rural regions that bread was disappearing from stores not to mention other products. It is just that shock therapy obviously didn't solve the issue and instead liquidated the population of the savings and much of their employment. Also, the effective death of Comecon was another giant blow, the Soviets, in all honesty, needed a way to barter energy for imports including food.

Also it is clear Yeltsin turned against the system as a whole, and I believe he honestly did not have faith in it by 1989.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ardennes posted:

Uh and sometimes they fall, look at the Arab spring, Egypt was going to have Mubarak forever until it didn't. During the late 1980s/early 1990s, average people were suffering just because honestly the Soviets were in all honesty broke and desperate to try to scrape up the cash for imports. Isn't a lie that in rural regions that bread was disappearing from stores not to mention other products. It is just that shock therapy obviously didn't solve the issue and instead liquidated the population of the savings and much of their employment. Also, the effective death of Comecon was another giant blow, the Soviets, in all honesty, needed a way to barter energy for imports including food.

Also it is clear Yeltsin turned against the system as a whole, and I believe he honestly did not have faith in it by 1989.

I hesitate to ask this question, but is there any useful comparisons/contrasts to be had with how the Soviet economy failed as described here (and the leaderships’ response) to what’s presently occurring in Venezuela?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

Uh and sometimes they fall, look at the Arab spring, Egypt was going to have Mubarak forever until it didn't.
But the Egyptian state did not collapse and indeed, 2 years after the revolution an Egyptian army general is once more in charge of Egypt. The Arab Spring actually showed exactly how resilient authoritarian regimes are.

At the same time, Egypt 2011 and USSR are poor comparisons, there was never anything comparable to Tahir square in Moscow indicating popular resistance against Gorbachev. Not only that, but the Egyptian revolution was only possible because of Social media and the precense of well-organized opposition groups (the Muslim brotherhood), neither of which existed in 1985 in the USSR.

There were both pro-Communist and anti-Communist rallies and gatherings in Perestroika era Russia. The closest thing you had to a mass rally against the regime was the reaction against the August coup, but that was against an illegitimate takeover of the government rather than the government itself. And even then, the crowds were a tiny percentage of even pro-Yeltsin Moscow, let along the population of the Soviet Union as a whole. The vast majority of Russian simply sat on the sidelines and waited to see which way the horse jumped. The level of opposition to the Soviet Union as a state has always being vastly exaggerated by both western media (to satisfy a narrative of heroic popular masses overthrowing the evil communists) and by Yeltsin (to satisfy the narrative of himself as the father of Russian democracy).

The power and decision-making and event-making in Russia and Marxist-Leninist regimes was always in the hands of a selective group of political elites, the vast majority of the people did not matter. The USSR was dissolved against popular will.

quote:

During the late 1980s/early 1990s, average people were suffering just because honestly the Soviets were in all honesty broke and desperate to try to scrape up the cash for imports. Isn't a lie that in rural regions that bread was disappearing from stores not to mention other products. It is just that shock therapy obviously didn't solve the issue and instead liquidated the population of the savings and much of their employment. Also, the effective death of Comecon was another giant blow, the Soviets, in all honesty, needed a way to barter energy for imports including food.

The Soviet economy of the late 80s/early 90s was not the Soviet planned system of pre-1985: Gorbachev had already disrupted the system trying to transform it into a market economy. The shortage of that era wasn't the shortages of a planned economy: it was the problems of an economy undergoing transition from a planned system towards a market system.

To make it clear, I don't think the Soviet planned system is superior to a Social democracy, it's just that the transition was badly managed.

Typo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 16, 2018

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So I finished Anna Karenina and I have another question. The final part of the book makes heavy references to some Slavonic War, which appears to be the Russo-Turkish War, which I had never heard of before. Weirdly enough it's the most relatable part of the book, because the political arguments made seem almost identical to the ones used to rationalize the war in Iraq, right now to Levin meekly having trouble expressing a strong contrary opinion because it would seem rude even though the whole thing is obviously a load of crap.

But my question is more specific than that. Throughout the section the Russians who go to war are referred to as volunteers, and we get enough information from them directly to see that they do indeed appear to be volunteers- Vronsky in particular is described as sending a regiment on his own expense. So that got me wondering about how Putin was describing the Russians fighting in Ukraine as being volunteers. Was he using the word in the same way? To refer to people who specifically asked to do this job? Because the media made it sound like he was telling a bald-faced lie that the Russians in Ukraine weren't working for the government, but in this (admittedly archaic) context that qualifier is not mutually exclusive with the idea that they're volunteers.

I'm also wondering whether the whole idea of volunteers is an Eastern concept to begin with. I've seen Turkish men fighting in the Korean War described in the same way- as volunteers who signed up for this very specific job for moral reasons. Regardless, they were still officially representing the Turkish government. I can't think of any equivalent concept in Western culture.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Three books on Russia I've enjoyed:

The Icon and the Axe
Wonderful sweeping history of Russian culture

The First Circle
Classic Stalin's reign of terror story of gulags, science and the chain of fear.

The Compromise
Glimpses of the 1970's Brezhnev stagnation era through stories of Soviet journalism.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

So I finished Anna Karenina and I have another question. The final part of the book makes heavy references to some Slavonic War, which appears to be the Russo-Turkish War, which I had never heard of before. Weirdly enough it's the most relatable part of the book, because the political arguments made seem almost identical to the ones used to rationalize the war in Iraq, right now to Levin meekly having trouble expressing a strong contrary opinion because it would seem rude even though the whole thing is obviously a load of crap.

But my question is more specific than that. Throughout the section the Russians who go to war are referred to as volunteers, and we get enough information from them directly to see that they do indeed appear to be volunteers- Vronsky in particular is described as sending a regiment on his own expense. So that got me wondering about how Putin was describing the Russians fighting in Ukraine as being volunteers. Was he using the word in the same way? To refer to people who specifically asked to do this job? Because the media made it sound like he was telling a bald-faced lie that the Russians in Ukraine weren't working for the government, but in this (admittedly archaic) context that qualifier is not mutually exclusive with the idea that they're volunteers.

I'm also wondering whether the whole idea of volunteers is an Eastern concept to begin with. I've seen Turkish men fighting in the Korean War described in the same way- as volunteers who signed up for this very specific job for moral reasons. Regardless, they were still officially representing the Turkish government. I can't think of any equivalent concept in Western culture.

The idea of a volunteer military or recruitment levies for specific wars/campaigns is an inscrutable Asiatic idea that is only conceivable to them? What on earth?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Typo posted:

The support and inclusion into the New Union Treaty had both popular support and enough benefits for the Republican political elites for it to be considered voluntary.

no matter the origin of the Union, once you are in it you are subjected to the same incentive/disincentive structure as EU member states, Greece probably really loving hates the EU and the Euro but can't leave because of the material incentives. Imagine if an SSR 10 years down the road decide it wanted its own currency but "derublization" would be so economically disruptive it's not worth the cost. And the natural path for a monetary union is probably some kind of a renewed fiscal union centered in moscow.

The EU is a stealth German Empire, yes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

The idea of a volunteer military or recruitment levies for specific wars/campaigns is an inscrutable Asiatic idea that is only conceivable to them? What on earth?

No, as in, when we talk about soldiers fighting in Iraq, we never call them volunteers even though it's an all volunteer military. We just call them soldiers and don't make any distinction between career soldiers and Pat Tilman. I am aware that the distinction is mostly meaningless and superficial which is why I'm curious whether Putin was actually using a euphemism as opposed to denying that Russia was involved in Ukraine at all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The idea is that the Russians fighting in Ukraine are doing so in a purely private capacity that they have volunteered for, and are not official agents of the Russian government, which would of course legally mean war. It’s a public/private distinction, not a volunteer/something else distinction. In that sense it has nothing to do with Turkish NATO troops in the Korean War, who were officially under international law at war under the flag of Turkey and NATO

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 17, 2018

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well yeah, that's what I'm confused about. Because as presented in Anna Karenina, "volunteers" were also described in a vague capacity where they could be either official regulars in the Russian army or private individuals depending on how the terms are defined. The Turkish thing I probably shouldn't have brought up at all, it's just the participation was being emphasized in the same ambiguous way.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I hesitate to ask this question, but is there any useful comparisons/contrasts to be had with how the Soviet economy failed as described here (and the leaderships’ response) to what’s presently occurring in Venezuela?

There are some of the same issues: low energy prices and domestic price controls on goods at the heart of both. However, I would say the Soviet economy of the late 1980s was very different than Venezuela, it was still centrally planned in many ways, and also the general competency of the PSUV was much much lower. In addition, Venezuela has a disastrous currency peg system which drained money out of the country, while the Soviets had always made the Ruble non-convertible and were desperate to stop money from leaving the country.

Some Guy TT posted:

Btw, I believe the period they are talking about is prior to the 1878 war itself, where smaller-scale wars and rebellions were breaking out in the Balkans and Russians volunteered to join that fight.

Also "volunteers" is used all the time by Western countries as well, remember the Flying Tigers or the Spanish Condor legion? It is just a way of providing manpower without claiming they are fully backed by their government. If anything you probably could create a laundry list of the times it has been used of the years by various governments.

clusterfuck posted:

Three books on Russia I've enjoyed:

The Icon and the Axe
Wonderful sweeping history of Russian culture

The First Circle
Classic Stalin's reign of terror story of gulags, science and the chain of fear.

The Compromise
Glimpses of the 1970's Brezhnev stagnation era through stories of Soviet journalism.

The Icon and the Axe is a classic, but in many ways seen as a bit dated but it does give some interesting theories of the early development of Russian city-states.

I would say the First Circle needs to be read with some heavy amount of salt as with all works by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. He has always played fast and loose with his sources, as well as many of his arguements.

I never read the Compromise.

Typo posted:

But the Egyptian state did not collapse and indeed, 2 years after the revolution an Egyptian army general is once more in charge of Egypt. The Arab Spring actually showed exactly how resilient authoritarian regimes are.

At the same time, Egypt 2011 and USSR are poor comparisons, there was never anything comparable to Tahir square in Moscow indicating popular resistance against Gorbachev. Not only that, but the Egyptian revolution was only possible because of Social media and the precense of well-organized opposition groups (the Muslim brotherhood), neither of which existed in 1985 in the USSR.

First, the Egyptian state really couldn't collapse like the USSR since it is a unitary regime. You could argue that most of the administration of the RSFSR more or less just continued on as the Russian Federation. As for popularity of a movement, there weren't the crowds of Tahrir square but it didn't mean popular mood hadn't shifted against the Soviet Union.

quote:

There were both pro-Communist and anti-Communist rallies and gatherings in Perestroika era Russia. The closest thing you had to a mass rally against the regime was the reaction against the August coup, but that was against an illegitimate takeover of the government rather than the government itself. And even then, the crowds were a tiny percentage of even pro-Yeltsin Moscow, let along the population of the Soviet Union as a whole. The vast majority of Russian simply sat on the sidelines and waited to see which way the horse jumped. The level of opposition to the Soviet Union as a state has always being vastly exaggerated by both western media (to satisfy a narrative of heroic popular masses overthrowing the evil communists) and by Yeltsin (to satisfy the narrative of himself as the father of Russian democracy).

If most of the population sat on the sidelines, doesn't mean they necessarily didn't welcome a change and the fact there was very little support for the August coup shows how far things had gone. Also, you didn't see the massive social and political divide you saw in Egypt either.

quote:

The power and decision-making and event-making in Russia and Marxist-Leninist regimes was always in the hands of a selective group of political elites, the vast majority of the people did not matter. The USSR was dissolved against popular will.

Okay, so people don't matter and yet popular will exists? You know how this comes off right?

quote:

The Soviet economy of the late 80s/early 90s was not the Soviet planned system of pre-1985: Gorbachev had already disrupted the system trying to transform it into a market economy. The shortage of that era wasn't the shortages of a planned economy: it was the problems of an economy undergoing transition from a planned system towards a market system.

To make it clear, I don't think the Soviet planned system is superior to a Social democracy, it's just that the transition was badly managed.

Yeah, it is abundantly unclear that Soviet terms of trade were suffering by the mid-1980s and it had little to do with Perestroika. I mean you can't just hand-wave what the numbers produced by Comecon itself were saying which is that the Soviets were clearly in a trade crisis (and this correlates with energy prices). Perestroika in the end didn't solve much, it really couldn't because price controls were still in place. You provide state enteprises with autonomy and even allow some small private enteperises, but price controls still exist, you are going to have an issue.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 17, 2018

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
While I am actually preety much convinced that some form of revolution was in order once Stolypin was almost certainly murdered by forces associated with Ultra Absolutism. I think often the impact of Tanneberg is overstated, It is often forgotten that just as that battle was happening the Russians would destroy almost half of the forces the Austro Hungarians had deployed against them in the Galica campaign. I would argue that Russia being destined to lose WW1 was not set in stone at Tanneberg. Interestingly, The Galician campaign along with the failed Belgrade offensive in late 1914 secured the crippling of Austria Hungary.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 17, 2018

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
For those asking about books about Soviet life I recommend Svetlana Alexievich’s Zinky Boys and Voices From Chernobyl. Both are collections of interviews (without the voice of the interviewer); they read like oral histories.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Typo posted:

If the feelings of the Russian people didn't matter then what do you make of the events on the streets of Moscow 21st August 1991? Your interpretation seems at odds with the events. The events of 21st August were the moment it became finally clear that the military would not crush the uprising, as did occur in Beijing two years earlier. This had been a question foremost in the minds of people demonstrating on the streets outside of Russia and here the question was being tested in Russia at the crucial moment and it was a pivotal shift. It demonstrated that the Gang of Eight running the Coup did not control the military and could not enforce their rule. That was the de facto end of the USSR and the subsequent dissolution was a de jure formality. Events very much turned on the feelings of the Russian people.

Wikipedia account of the coup posted:

21 August

At about 1:00, not far from the White House, trolleybuses and street cleaning machines barricaded a tunnel against oncoming Taman Guards infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs). Three men were killed in the incident, Dmitry Komar, Vladimir Usov, and Ilya Krichevsky, while several others were wounded. Komar, a 22 year old veteran from the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, was shot and crushed trying to cover a moving IFV's observation slit. Usov, a 37 year old economist, was killed by a stray bullet whilst coming to Komar's aid. The crowd set fire to an IFV and Krichevsky, a 28 year old architect, was shot dead as the troops escaped. [37][23][35][38] According to Sergey Parkhomenko, a journalist and democracy campaigner who was in the crowd defending the White House, “Those deaths played a crucial role: Both sides were so horrified that it brought a halt to everything.”[39] Alpha Group and Vympel did not move to the White House as had been planned and Yazov ordered the troops to pull out from Moscow.

The troops began to move from Moscow at 8:00. The GKChP members met in the Defence Ministry and, not knowing what to do, decided to send Kryuchkov, Yazov, Baklanov, Tizyakov, Anatoly Lukyanov, and Deputy CPSU General Secretary Vladimir Ivashko to Crimea to meet Gorbachev, who refused to meet them when they arrived. With the dacha's communications to Moscow restored, Gorbachev declared all the GKChP's decisions void and dismissed its members from their state offices. The USSR General Prosecutors Office started the investigation of the coup.[19][31]

During that period, the Supreme Council of the Republic of Latvia declared its sovereignty officially completed with a law passed by its deputies, confirming the independence restoration act of 4 May as an official act.[40] In Tallinn, just a day after the resitution of independence, the Tallinn TV Tower was taken over by the Airborne Troops, while the television broadcast was cut off for a while, the radio signal was strong as a handful of Estonian Defence League (the unified paramilitary armed forces of Estonia) members barricaded the entry into signal rooms.[41] In the evening, as news of the failure of the coup reached the republic, the paratroopers departed from the tower and left the capital.

I've bolded the portions indicating key moments where the feelings of the Russian people drove events. Obviously none of this occurred in a vacuum but I can't see how you can choose to dismiss these events.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

For those asking about books about Soviet life I recommend Svetlana Alexievich’s Zinky Boys and Voices From Chernobyl. Both are collections of interviews (without the voice of the interviewer); they read like oral histories.

that's not really average soviet life tho, only a tiny fraction of the population of the ussr went to afganistan, and only a small fraction were harmed deeply by chernobyl. this is like watching "full metal jacket" and saying that it is a good representation of american life in the 70s.

imo, zinky boys isn't very good. she does a great job of collecting oral histories, but provides them with no context, so instead of trying to explain what happened in Afganistan you just get a bunch of stories about how it feels to get your legs blown off with a landmine, or what it's like to bury your son in a closed casket. her other books suffer less from this problem.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

clusterfuck posted:

If the feelings of the Russian people didn't matter then what do you make of the events on the streets of Moscow 21st August 1991? Your interpretation seems at odds with the events. The events of 21st August were the moment it became finally clear that the military would not crush the uprising, as did occur in Beijing two years earlier. This had been a question foremost in the minds of people demonstrating on the streets outside of Russia and here the question was being tested in Russia at the crucial moment and it was a pivotal shift. It demonstrated that the Gang of Eight running the Coup did not control the military and could not enforce their rule. That was the de facto end of the USSR and the subsequent dissolution was a de jure formality. Events very much turned on the feelings of the Russian people.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Soviet_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat_attempt]

I've bolded the portions indicating key moments where the feelings of the Russian people drove events. Obviously none of this occurred in a vacuum but I can't see how you can choose to dismiss these events.

The events on the streets of Moscow during the August 1991 involved, at best, a tiny percentage of the population even pro-Yeltsin Moscow. It was not "the Russian people" so much as it was a tiny percentage of the people in the capital city. The vast majority of the Russian people did nothing during the coup. A few miles outside of the central of Moscow, life went on as normal.

Also the protests were -against- an illegal takeover of the Soviet government, it wasn't a protest -for- dissolving the USSR. When the Belavezha Accords was signed, it was not a behest of Moscow crowds.

quote:

That was the de facto end of the USSR and the subsequent dissolution was a de jure formality. Events very much turned on the feelings of the Russian people.
I wrote itt about why I don't agree with this, the USSR was not dead even after the August Coup. A return to pre-1985 old Soviet Union was, but something like a New Union Treaty style Confederation was still possible: as long as Yeltsin wanted it.

Typo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 18, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Typo posted:

The events on the streets of Moscow during the August 1991 involved, at best, a tiny percentage of the population even pro-Yeltsin Moscow. It was not "the Russian people" so much as it was a tiny percentage of the people in the capital city. The vast majority of the Russian people did nothing during the coup. A few miles outside of the central of Moscow, life went on as normal.

That's really not unusual for popular uprising events. There's an active vanguard that represents only a tiny percentage of the popoulation. It grows as the movement gains success, look at the numbers in the Arab Spring or the numbers in the rest of East Europe in this period. What is often the crucial factor is the allegiance of the military. The "feelings of the Russian people" include those Russian people in uniform. They balked at shooting other Russians and shifted allegiance to Yeltsin. The loss of control of the military ended the USSR, in my view. That seems a fairly common take on these events.

quote:

Also the protests were -against- an illegal takeover of the Soviet government, it wasn't a protest -for- dissolving the USSR. When the Belavezha Accords was signed, it was not a behest of Moscow crowds.

How do you know the motivations of those people? What is your evidence? I would think some were there as Russian nationalists and some were there to head off an imminent wave of mass arrests and state violence. Many may have had a mixture of motivations. I doubt there were many there with the defense of the Soviet Union high in their priorities. You seem very sure of their motivations so please share your evidence.

I went looking for data to back up your take and couldn't find it, I am very interested in what is informing your view though. I think it's a fascinating, dramatic event and your view on it is interesting, even if I don't agree necessarily.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/few-out-to-honour-men-whose-deaths-led-to-fall-of-ussr-1.603495
https://www.newsweek.com/forgotten-martyrs-once-briefly-democratic-russia-491870
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/opinion/sunday/the-soviet-coup-that-failed.html

quote:

I wrote itt about why I don't agree with this, the USSR was not dead even after the August Coup. A return to pre-1985 old Soviet Union was, but something like a New Union Treaty style Confederation was still possible: as long as Yeltsin wanted it.

Yes, that's why I'm using de-facto and de-jure. Technically it was still an entity but everyone knew it was over. From that point the question of whether the New Union treaty would save the USSR is academic.

You've said yourself that yours is not the mainstream view of these events, that you stopped buying the narrative of Russian nationalism bringing down the USSR. I expect you're much better read on these events than I am and I think I'm just repeating the mainstream take on these events. I would like to see more citations from you so I can inform myself better as I find the events of the coup in particular dramatic and compelling reading.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Why would Russian nationalists want to bring down the Soviet Union?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Squalid posted:

Why would Russian nationalists want to bring down the Soviet Union?

Russian nationalists had a bunch of issues including the Soviet nationality policy which they thought had diluted Russia through migration, and it was time to 'free" Russia from its multi-cultural shackles. There was also a fair amount of anti-semitism.

This is beside the more generalized issues happening.

https://www.persee.fr/doc/cmr_0008-0160_1991_num_32_1_2268

Is an article from 1991 that might be useful as a primary source from the period (it isn't perfect but contemporaneous).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 18, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

clusterfuck posted:

That's really not unusual for popular uprising events. There's an active vanguard that represents only a tiny percentage of the popoulation. It grows as the movement gains success, look at the numbers in the Arab Spring or the numbers in the rest of East Europe in this period. What is often the crucial factor is the allegiance of the military.
There's a few things to unpack here

So I want to clarify my position a bit, my position is that public opinion did not matter in 1985, it only -sort of- started mattering because Gorbachev decided that it -should- matter, since in a Social democracy public opinion is suppose to matter. Before 1985, demonstrations against the Soviet government were efficiently and ruthless crushed, it was Perestroika that legitimized and allowed for popular opinion to be expressed publicly. Public opinion started to sort of (I will explain) because a Soviet general secretary actively pursued an agenda to end the monopoly his party held on Soviet politics. Without Gorbachev, public opinion would never mattered at all.

But even when it comes to 1991, there's a massive tendency to conflate the fall of the USSR and the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe. in Eastern Europe, particularly in East Germany, it really was the people running away (literally) from the regime and that was proved by substantial percentage of the population either outright leaving the country or on the streets demonstrating against the regime. Before the regime fell, over 3.5 million East Germans literally ran away to West Germany (out of a total of 16 million) or so. In Poland, you can point to solidarity claiming the membership of 10 million out of a population of 35 million or so. Even in China there was demonstrations (both before and after the crackdown on June 4th) in every major Chinese city in favor of the protests in Beijing.

During the August Coup there was two major points of demonstrations in the two liberal strongholds in Russia: Moscow and Leningrad with the demonstrators in the low hundred thousands (in a country of almost 300 million citizens), major demonstrations outside of those two key cities were rare, most people were waiting to see which way the horse jumped [see: Nationalist Mobilization and the Collapse of the Soviet State By Mark R. Beissinger]. In other words, the reaction against the August coup can't claim the sort of popular mandate that anti-Communist demonstrators could have had in Eastern Europe. And this is years after relatively permissive political atmosphere during Perestroika.

quote:

The "feelings of the Russian people" include those Russian people in uniform. They balked at shooting other Russians and shifted allegiance to Yeltsin. The loss of control of the military ended the USSR, in my view. That seems a fairly common take on these events.
China had the same problem in 1989, the first wave of troops sent into Beijing started to fraternize with the people there and the party decided they were unreliable and pulled them out and got more reliable units to go in.

The plotters could have at least -tried- to do the same thing, but they didn't. The crucial factor was the lack of political will among the gang of eight, who from the very beginning felt the coup was doomed to failure. Funnily enough, units were found to be perfectly willing to fire on fellow Russians just 2 years later during the 1993 Russian constitution crisis.

quote:

How do you know the motivations of those people? What is your evidence? I would think some were there as Russian nationalists and some were there to head off an imminent wave of mass arrests and state violence. Many may have had a mixture of motivations. I doubt there were many there with the defense of the Soviet Union high in their priorities. You seem very sure of their motivations so please share your evidence.
In the New Union Treaty Referendum held months before the August Coup, almost 80% of the Soviet citizens voted for continuing the Soviet Union as a Confederation, which is a decisive majority and shows continual support for the Soviet Union as a state, abet in a reformed version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union_referendum,_1991

imagine if tomorrow there is a coup by conservatives in the bureaucracy and national security agencies against a Democratic President.

Now imagine there's demonstrations in Washington and NYC against the coup, and the coup collapses.

Now imagine 6 month later the governors of California, New York and a few other states gets together in secret and declares that the Union is dissolved and the governor of California is now the president of the Californian Republic.

That's basically what the August Coup and Belavezha Accords were, even if you were on the streets demonstrating against the coup, it doesn't mean you were in favor of dissolving the Union. Belavezha accords was signed without a referendum in Russia to legitimize it, it was a decision made at the center by Yeltsin. As late as November 1991, Yeltsin felt the need to promise people that the Union was going to continue. And Yeltsin's CIS looked to be a continuation of the USSR in a decentralized form and renamed.

So this is where the "sort of" mattering of public opinion came, in mattered for a small percentage of the population who happened to live in the capital, and only for one event which while important did not spell the inevitable end for the USSR. But the actual key decision made was done by 3 men, (Yeltsin, Kravchuk, shushkevich) and out of the 3 only Yeltsin really mattered since the other two was likely to follow the lead of the largest Republic.

quote:

You've said yourself that yours is not the mainstream view of these events, that you stopped buying the narrative of Russian nationalism bringing down the USSR. I expect you're much better read on these events than I am and I think I'm just repeating the mainstream take on these events. I would like to see more citations from you so I can inform myself better as I find the events of the coup in particular dramatic and compelling reading.
A lot of this is coming from Stephen Cohen's "Soviet Fates and lost alternatives":

https://www.amazon.ca/Soviet-Fates-Lost-Alternatives-Stalinism/dp/0231148976

And yes, it is a very compelling read

Typo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 18, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Some Guy TT posted:

But my question is more specific than that. Throughout the section the Russians who go to war are referred to as volunteers, and we get enough information from them directly to see that they do indeed appear to be volunteers- Vronsky in particular is described as sending a regiment on his own expense..

During the Serbian Independence War, which is the war that's in Anna Karenina, the Serbians called for volunteers, and got volunteers from a bunch of Eruopean countrie, including Russia, Bulgaria, and Italy.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Typo posted:

There's a few things to unpack here

A lot of this is coming from Stephen Cohen's "Soviet Fates and lost alternatives":

Thanks for the unpacking and book recommendation, I have to run out the door so I'll reply later. I only have two minor quibbles anyway, regarding the minutiae of the August 1991 events. I'll come back to that later.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Typo posted:

That's basically what the August Coup and Belavezha Accords were, even if you were on the streets demonstrating against the coup, it doesn't mean you were in favor of dissolving the Union. Belavezha accords was signed without a referendum in Russia to legitimize it, it was a decision made at the center by Yeltsin. As late as November 1991, Yeltsin felt the need to promise people that the Union was going to continue. And Yeltsin's CIS looked to be a continuation of the USSR in a decentralized form and renamed.

So this is where the "sort of" mattering of public opinion came, in mattered for a small percentage of the population who happened to live in the capital, and only for one event which while important did not spell the inevitable end for the USSR. But the actual key decision made was done by 3 men, (Yeltsin, Kravchuk, shushkevich) and out of the 3 only Yeltsin really mattered since the other two was likely to follow the lead of the largest Republic.

The issue at that point is what the USSR would have actually looked like beyond maybe some of the Central Asian states. It was clear the Baltic states were going, the Caucasus were a complete mess, and even Ukraine had been moving towards independence (and was independent at late August). The Soviet Union would a moniker at that point. (Also many Russians wouldn't be happy to have the Central Asian states tagging along regardless.)

Then there is the other issue is that while only a hundred came out in the streets, it was also clear that enthusiasm for the union had taken a hit, and all honesty as far as economically, the fingers would eventually have to be pointed somewhere. It was clear that Russians were suffering at that point especially away from larger cities and in particular, the food supply was getting majorly disrupted.

(As the American comparison doesn't make sense because Russian nationalism and identity (much less other forms of nationalism) was very much its own thing, and the RSFSR wasn't just a random collection of states.)

As for Soviet fates, I am reading a copy of it right now and eh it I am skeptical it really adds that much to the table. In particular, the chapter on Bukharin seems more or less a rehash. (Also, Cohen obviously doesn't really touch on serious the economic debates going on and why the NEP was in many ways a failure.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 19, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

The issue at that point is what the USSR would have actually looked like beyond maybe some of the Central Asian states. It was clear the Baltic states were going, the Caucasus were a complete mess, and even Ukraine had been moving towards independence (and was independent at late August). The Soviet Union would a moniker at that point. (Also many Russians wouldn't be happy to have the Central Asian states tagging along regardless.)
The Republics with serious separatist sentiments were the Baltic Republics, Moldavia, Armenia and Georgia, those were 1-2% of USSR's population/territory. They could have jettisoned every single of those republics and still had the vast majority of the pre-1985 USSR.

quote:

As for Soviet fates, I am reading a copy of it right now and eh it I am skeptical it really adds that much to the table. In particular, the chapter on Bukharin seems more or less a rehash. (Also, Cohen obviously doesn't really touch on serious the economic debates going on and why the NEP was in many ways a failure.)

The pre-Gorbachev look at Bukharin/Khrushchev adds nothing I agree and could just be skipped entirely, the interesting part of the book is about the late Gorbachev era. Cohen is hardly unbiased, being a personal friend of Gorbachev, but he makes very compelling argument in his book.

E: I'll try to address your other post later on when I have more time to post

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 19, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Typo posted:

The Republics with serious separatist sentiments were the Baltic Republics, Moldavia, Armenia and Georgia, those were 1-2% of USSR's population/territory. They could have jettisoned every single of those republics and still had the vast majority of the pre-1985 USSR.

I would add Azerbaijan in there too, and more importantly its oil industry. Black January had already happened, and there was pretty much no way to keep the Caucasus stable if Azerbaijan had stayed it would have been a complete poison pill. Then you had the Central Asian Republics were mostly basketcases for the most part, the Aral Sea was being drained for a reason. They would have added "bulk" to the union state, but honestly would have had to be heavily subsidized. Remember that Tajikistan had a civil war soon after the break-up.

Then you got Ukraine and Belarus which are the issue at hand, especially Ukraine. The usual argument is that Ukraine got 70-80% of the vote for the union state and would be a willing member of it, but at the same time you had clearly a nationalist movement rising in Western Ukraine and the country was split (as it has pretty much as it has since practically Muscovy). Also Cohen admits support for independence was 49.5% at least according to one poll. Honestly, I think Ukraine was going to go out one way or another by end of 1991 even if the coup didn't happen, it might have taken a few more months but in all honestly Kiev was under pretty heavy pressure and the situation was only going to get worse. Kravchuk, despite being Western Ukrainian, was for the most part of a relative centrist if you consider what was happening.

It would be far from the last time Ukraine would "seesaw" depending on which regions got the upper-hand.

quote:

The pre-Gorbachev look at Bukharin/Khrushchev adds nothing I agree and could just be skipped entirely, the interesting part of the book is about the late Gorbachev era. Cohen is hardly unbiased, being a personal friend of Gorbachev, but he makes very compelling argument in his book.

E: I'll try to address your other post later on when I have more time to post

I skipped to the latter chapters, but in all honesty, there are some arguments that are pretty rough. I don't really degree with the foreign policy stuff that much, but I think he really really glosses the economic issues happening kind of just throws the entire supply crisis to the side which I just don't think holds any water. (I will be happy to debate this point but it is going to be a lot about price controls.)

This paragraph, in particular, was really hard to read knowing what some of my friends went through:

quote:

Bare shelves in state stores, to take the starkest example, did not mean mass hunger. In the countryside, people grew much of their own food, as they always had, but even many urban dwellers were not greatly dependent on official shops. In addition to resorting to more costly but readily accessible nonstate markets and cultivating their own food gardens, almost all employed Soviet citizens and students traditionally received their main meal at midday in workplace and school cafeterias, where employees could also buy take-home supplies. That long-standing system continued to operate in 1990 and 1991, though no doubt with declining quantity and nutrition. In any event, as was later pointed out, the “sausage thesis” hardly explains the end of a Soviet state that had endured more severe food shortages before.

The gist of the book is that "things could have gone another way" but it doesn't really have the raw numbers to make the assertions work. I don't know what Bukharin was going to do that differently, and Gorbachev really didn't have the tools to get what he needed done.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typo posted:

Also the Communists were pretty much poised to win the '96 election on the promise of restoring communism and then in came the West to rig the gently caress out of that election and get Yeltsin elected again. Who then apparently was so ashamed about it he disappeared for months, drinking. Then Putin got appointed his successor and now the USA is mad that Russia attempts to mess with US elections. :downs:

Ardennes posted:

The USSR was certainly more than just the Russian Empire with new paint, that is a rather absurd reduction.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 19, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

COMRADES posted:

Also the Communists were pretty much poised to win the '96 election on the promise of restoring communism and then in came the West to rig the gently caress out of that election and get Yeltsin elected again. Who then apparently was so ashamed about it he disappeared for months, drinking. Then Putin got appointed his successor and now the USA is mad that Russia attempts to mess with US elections. :downs:

The idea that the '96 election was rigged by the west is a myth, the involvement of Americans basically amounted to Yeltsin hiring American political consultants. Even in left-wing sources I've read the only credible accusation was that Clinton tried to time diplomatic moves to make Yeltsin look good. If anybody did the rigging it was Yeltsin himself.

The election was never outright rigged as in the votes are fake. It was more "soft-rigging".The Russian Media was either owned by Yeltsin allies and/or had a Journalist class who supported Yeltsin because they thought if the Communists win the election there would be a crackdown on them. So the media gave huge airtime to Yeltsin (hid his heart problems too) and only time when Zyuganov got airtime was about how lovely he was.There was also the laundering Russian state bonds as financing for the Yeltsin campaign, basically Yeltsin sold Russian state bonds to his oligarch allies at a discount, the oligarchs then sold them at market prices and kicked back $100 million or so back to yeltsin which dwarfed the funding the Communists had.

But most of all, Yeltsin's people did run an appealing western-style campaign message. Polls before the electoral campaign basically showed 60% said they wanted Yeltsin out, but 60% also said they wanted anybody but the Communists. So the Yeltsin's campaign basically ran a "at least we are going forward into the future where things will be better, Zyuganov is going to drag us back to Brezhnev era". And the message did appeal to voters because it maximized on pre-existing voter preferences. Yeltsin was genuinely pretty good at working crowds whereas Zyuganov really did lack electoral political talent.

The Oligarchs by David E. Hoffman is a really good read on the formation of the modern Russian oligarchy in the 90s and on the '96 Russian election

quote:

Also the Communists were pretty much poised to win the '96 election on the promise of restoring communism
Zyuganov was literally at world economic forum in Davos in 96 promising everybody that the Russian Communists were social democrats now

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Either way, the 1993 coup was straight out power-grab that at least 187 dead, and likely much more, Russian Democracy was strangled in the crib. The 1996 election was relatively soft because the regime had already cemented its rule.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

Either way, the 1993 coup was straight out power-grab that at least 187, and likely much more, Russian Democracy was strangled in the crib.

If yeltsin was 30 years older he would have made a good stalinist

quote:

The 1996 election was relatively soft because the regime had already cemented its rule.
The probability of yeltsin losing was there, prior to the election campaign yeltsin was seriously considering and at one point literally hours away from mounting an auto-coup by telling security forces to take over the communist led duma and suspend the election for 2 years, he got talked out of it at the last minute, his hold on power was not all that secure in the mid 90s.