Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typo posted:

The election was never outright rigged as in the votes are fake. It was more "soft-rigging".The Russian Media was either owned by Yeltsin allies and/or had a Journalist class who supported Yeltsin because they thought if the Communists win the election there would be a crackdown on them. So the media gave huge airtime to Yeltsin (hid his heart problems too) and only time when Zyuganov got airtime was about how lovely he was.There was also the laundering Russian state bonds as financing for the Yeltsin campaign, basically Yeltsin sold Russian state bonds to his oligarch allies at a discount, the oligarchs then sold them at market prices and kicked back $100 million or so back to yeltsin which dwarfed the funding the Communists had.

I dunno

quote:

In keeping with Russian laws at the time, Zyuganov spent less than three million dollars on his campaign.  Estimates of Yeltsin’s spending, by contrast, range from $700 million to $2.5 billion.   (David M. Kotz, Russia’s Path from Gorbachev to Putin, 2007) This was a clear violation of law, but it was just the tip of the iceberg.

In February 1996, at the urging of the United States, the International Monetary Fund (which describes itself as “an organization of 188 countries, working to foster global monetary cooperation”) supplied a $10.2 billion “emergency infusion” to Russia.The money disappeared as Yeltsin used it to shore up his reputation and to buy votes.  He forced the Central Bank of Russia to provide an additional $1 billion for his campaign, too.  Meanwhile, a handful of Russian oligarchs, notably several big contributors residing in Israel, provided more billions for the Yeltsin campaign.

In the spring of 1996, Yeltsin and his campaign manager, billionaire privatizer Anatoly Chubais, recruited a team of financial and media oligarchs to bankroll the Yeltsin campaign and guarantee favorable media coverage on national television and in leading newspapers.  In return, Chubais allowed well-connected Russian business leaders to acquire majority stakes in some of Russia’s most valuable state-owned assets.

Campaign strategists for the former Republican governor of California Pete Wilsoncovertly made their way to the President Hotel in Moscow where, behind a guard and locked doors, they served as Yeltsin’s “secret campaign weapon” to save Russia for Democracy.  (Eleanor Randolph, “Americans Claim Role in Yeltsin Win,” L.A. Times, 9 July 1996)  Yeltsin and his cohorts monopolized all major media outlets, print and electronic, public, and private. They bombarded Russians with an incessant and uncontested barrage of political advertising masquerading as news, phony “documentaries,” rumors, innuendos, and bad faith campaign promises (including disbursement of back pay to workers and pensioners, stopping further NATO expansion, and peaceful settlement of Yeltsin’s brutal war against Chechnya). Yeltsin campaigners even floated the threat that he would stage a coup and the country would descend into civil war if Zyuganov were to win the vote.

It is now public record that the Yeltsin campaign conducted extensive “black operations,” including disrupting opposition rallies and press conferences, spreading disinformation among Yeltsin supporters, and denying media access to the opposition.  The dirty tricks included such tactics as announcing false dates for opposition rallies and press conferences, disseminating alarming campaign materials that they deceitfully attributed to the Zyuganov campaign, and cancelling hotel reservations for Zyuganov and his volunteers.  Finally, widespread bribery, voter fraud, intimidation, and ballot stuffing assured Yeltsin’s victory in the runoff election.

Sounds uh pretty rigged to me.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-meddling-in-1996-russian-elections-in-support-of-boris-yeltsin/5568288

But even discounting that, "soft rigging" is nice words for greatly helped manipulate a foreign election to get desired results.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Quote is not edit

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

The Republics with serious separatist sentiments were the Baltic Republics, Moldavia, Armenia and Georgia, those were 1-2% of USSR's population/territory. They could have jettisoned every single of those republics and still had the vast majority of the pre-1985 USSR.

One interesting contributor to the breakup of the soviet union that hasn't been mentioned here yet is Gorbachev's banning of alcohol in 1985, ostensibly to fight alcoholism. As you can imagine, this was not a popular policy, and it was reversed two years later, mostly because of the loss of income from alcohol and the great increase in black market sales. During those two years, the USSR burnt many grape fields in the wine growing regions of Georgia and Armenia, further fueling nationalist sentiments in the region.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

COMRADES posted:

I dunno

Sounds uh pretty rigged to me.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-meddling-in-1996-russian-elections-in-support-of-boris-yeltsin/5568288

But even discounting that, "soft rigging" is nice words for greatly helped manipulate a foreign election to get desired results.

globalresearch is garbage

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

GoluboiOgon posted:

One interesting contributor to the breakup of the soviet union that hasn't been mentioned here yet is Gorbachev's banning of alcohol in 1985, ostensibly to fight alcoholism. As you can imagine, this was not a popular policy, and it was reversed two years later, mostly because of the loss of income from alcohol and the great increase in black market sales. During those two years, the USSR burnt many grape fields in the wine growing regions of Georgia and Armenia, further fueling nationalist sentiments in the region.

coincidentally, Nicholas II also tried to ban alcohol during WWI

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Simply enough if you things are tough and you ban or heavily restrict one of the chief outlets (alcohol), additional pressure starts to form. It is also why one of the things FDR did was to allow beer production again.

Funnily enough, in modern-day Russia, there has been some additional restrictions on alcohol use and purchasing, the most notable is limiting sales to before 11pm and minimum prices for hard alcohol. In actuality, drinking has heavily subsided in recent years, we will see if the trend continues.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typo posted:

globalresearch is garbage

Is that really the response considering you can easily find the same information all over the Internet from all kinds of credible sources? You realize the USA has meddled with foreign elections in dozens of well documented cases around the world, not even counting the coups and other things like that right?

You yourself admit to "soft rigging?"

The 94 referendum was pretty rigged too although who knows with how much help ofc.

quote:

The details of the alleged electoral fraud have appeared in both opposition and pro-reform media. Legal authorities have sometimes confirmed them. The supervisor of a Moscow polling station committed suicide after the referendum and left a letter confessing that he had 'grossly deceived the people', according to one newspaper, Novaya Yezhednevnaya Gazeta.

In the Far Eastern province of Amur, prosecutors said local officials had falsified 16 out of 22 lists of votes from one polling station. It appears that Amur voters did not, as officially reported, approve the constitution.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/yeltsin-referendum-rigged-1368955.html

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 20, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

COMRADES posted:

The 94 referendum was pretty rigged too although who knows with how much help ofc.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/yeltsin-referendum-rigged-1368955.html

your goalposts basically running a marathon right now

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typo posted:

your goalposts basically running a marathon right now

What goalposts dude you're just not addressing anything whatsoever. Like you're not even forming arguments or anything. You handwaved away my first source (sorry it was just the first one I grabbed on my phone?) and then ignored the other post and latched onto a sidenote to smugly go "haha goalposts moving." Here's what I said originally: the US helped rig the '96 election in Yeltsin's favor. As far as I'm aware we're more or less quibbling over to what degree anyway since you said sure there was some soft-rigging.

quote:

In an interview with TIME on Thursday, he said that Medvedev, while debating electoral laws with the activists, "took a pause and said, 'We all know that Boris Nikolaevich Yeltsin did not win in 1996.'" Three other opposition figures who were at that meeting have separately confirmed in radio and television interviews that Medvedev said this.

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2107565,00.html

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 20, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

COMRADES posted:

What goalposts dude you're just not addressing anything whatsoever. Like you're not even forming arguments or anything. You handwaved away my first source (sorry it was just the first one I grabbed on my phone?)
https://www.globalresearch.ca/

the source you are posting from literally has WTC CONTROLLED DEMOLITION on the front page dude, I thought you'd at least check out the front page, it's literally left-wing infowars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJ2VicnXbE

like a basic 5 second check should tell you that it's a garbage source to cite

quote:

and then ignored the other post and latched onto a sidenote to smugly go "haha goalposts moving." Here's what I said originally: the US helped rig the '96 election in Yeltsin's favor. As far as I'm aware we're more or less quibbling over to what degree anyway since you said sure there was some soft-rigging.

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2107565,00.html

The problem is that you aren't clear on what you are trying to argue, the last link you posted isn't even about the 1996 election, the current blurb you quoted doesn't say anything about US involvement, but you seem to be using it as evidence that "America rigged Russian elections".

Again, I think hiring US political consultants to run a campaign isn't enough to qualify as "America rigging Russian election". No more than Trump hiring Manafort was Russia rigging 2016.

quote:

s far as I'm aware we're more or less quibbling over to what degree anyway since you said sure there was some soft-rigging.
Yeah, our positions on the issue probably isn't that different tbh

I'm just gonna quote Hoffman because I think it's relevant:

Was it a dirty election, absolutely, did Yeltsin had unfair advantages in funding and media, absolutely. Was it rigged? I disagree partially because that degree of incumbent advantage isn't all that unusual in a lot of second world democracies, and the opposition do win sometimes. To me rigged election is more like Saddam or Brezhnev era USSR with 99% of votes for the incumbents. In the end Yeltsin -did- find an appealing message to enough of the Russian electorate. But you are probably right in that we are splitting hairs here.

Typo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 21, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Typo posted:

Was it a dirty election, absolutely, did Yeltsin had unfair advantages in funding and media, absolutely. Was it rigged? I disagree partially because that degree of incumbent advantage isn't all that unusual in a lot of second world democracies, and the opposition do win sometimes. To me rigged election is more like Saddam or Brezhnev era USSR with 99% of votes for the incumbents. But you are probably right in that we are splitting hairs here. In the end Yeltsin -did- find an appealing message to enough of the Russian electorate to win.

(Ignoring globalresearch)

The fundamental issue is there was a very clear and direct turn-around in polling during that period, which showed it was less that it was policy suddenly winning the electorate over (since not that much change during such a period of time), but it was clearly other factors. Zyuganov was leading by wide margins (at least double Yeltsin's support) until April 1996 when the gap vanished and by the end of May, Yeltsin was in the lead.

So what is responsible for this sudden and swift change of fortune?

(Also, btw Typo, it is a more than bit weird you cited a book that pretty much disregarded the shortages of the early 1991 then to turn around to use them as apart of your next argument. )

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

(Ignoring globalresearch)

The fundamental issue is there was a very clear and direct turn-around in polling during that period, which showed it was less that it was policy suddenly winning the electorate over (since not that much change during such a period of time), but it was clearly other factors. Zyuganov was leading by wide margins (at least double Yeltsin's support) until April 1996 when the gap vanished and by the end of May, Yeltsin was in the lead.

So what is responsible for this sudden and swift change of fortune?
Do you have a source on the polls, I know there was a pretty big turnaround, but I actually cannot recall off the top of my head how fast the polling turned around

quote:

(Also, btw Typo, it is a more than bit weird you cited a book that pretty much disregarded the shortages of the early 1991 then to turn around to use them as apart of your next argument. )

Late Gorbachev clearly and obviously had severe shortages even if it's not literal starvation level deprivation. But again, I think that level of shortages points more to the problems of a badly managed transition towards a market economy more so than it points to pre-1985 issues. Nor do I think that the economic crisis necessarily translate into a political crisis which destroyed the Soviet state.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

I'm just gonna quote Hoffman because I think it's relevant:.

i love that his idea of an average voter is a banker. clearly, this member of the 1% accurately represents the opinions of the masses.

oh, and if you google him this guy was appointed as prime minister of russia by yeltsin in 1998, who was more or less responsible for crashing the russian economy in 1998. quoting one of yeltsin's cronies as an example of popular opinion should really make you reconsider the intentions of the author of that book.

quote:

Sergey Vladilenovich Kiriyenko (Russian: Серге́й Владиле́нович Кирие́нко; born 26 July 1962) is a Russian politician. He serves as the First Deputy Chief of Staff of the Presidential Administration of Russia since 5 October 2016[1]. Previously he served as the 30th Prime Minister of Russia from 23 March to 23 August 1998 under President Boris Yeltsin. Between 2005 and 2016 he was the head of Rosatom, the state nuclear energy corporation.

Kiriyenko was the youngest Prime Minister of Russia, taking the post at the age of 35 years.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

GoluboiOgon posted:

i love that his idea of an average voter is a banker. clearly, this member of the 1% accurately represents the opinions of the masses.

oh, and if you google him this guy was appointed as prime minister of russia by yeltsin in 1998, who was more or less responsible for crashing the russian economy in 1998. quoting one of yeltsin's cronies as an example of popular opinion should really make you reconsider the intentions of the author of that book.

Hoffman was pretty clear about the level of corruption in that election if you actually read the book, and even the fact that Yeltsin was on the verge of calling in the security forces launching an auto-coup before the 1996 because he thought he would lose the election. So if your implication is that the book is pro-yeltsin I have to disagree.

Typo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 21, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Typo posted:

Do you have a source on the polls, I know there was a pretty big turnaround, but I actually cannot recall off the top of my head how fast the polling turned around

The 1996 Russian election wiki page has polling and honestly a bunch of other relevant info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_presidential_election,_1996

quote:

Late Gorbachev clearly and obviously had severe shortages even if it's not literal starvation level deprivation. But again, I think that level of shortages points more to the problems of a badly managed transition towards a market economy more so than it points to pre-1985 issues. Nor do I think that the economic crisis necessarily translate into a political crisis which destroyed the Soviet state.

I don't think it really follows that starvation level deprivation isn't going to have an effect on the political crisis. I mean this goes through-out human history. It wasn't obviously the only issue at the time, but it has to be there in the equation.

Also as far as the transition issue, it is abundantly clear there was more going on than warehouses sitting on food or hoarding (which honestly had been going on through Soviet history), but that the Soviet Union was in a fundamental weakened trade position, its foreign trade bank was literally run out of cash, and the country was in severe debt. Obviously, Yeltsin's solution for at least the Russians (but generally followed across the bloc was to launch a firesale in which anyone with connections made off like bandits.

(Btw around 1993, the Russians were desperately asking the US for an emergency loan to essentially keep the lights on, the US refused.)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

The 1996 Russian election wiki page has polling and honestly a bunch of other relevant info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_presidential_election,_1996
I'm reading the poll right now

In beginning of march the polling looked like 20 Zyg - 14 Yeltsin, by april it was pretty even between the two, final result in June election was 35-32 (yeltsin-zyg)

that's not not too unusual imo, you can probably observe similar patterns in western elections as candidates consolidate their support, and Yeltsin did have media/illegal funding advantages + actually trying to run a modern western style electoral campaign. It's not too strange that Yeltsin caught up to Zyuganov by the actual election.

E: I'll address the rest of your post later

Typo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 21, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Typo posted:

I'm reading the poll right now

In beginning of march the polling looked like 20 Zyg - 14 Yeltsin, by april it was pretty even between the two, final result in June was 35-32 (yeltsin-zyg)

that's not not too unusual imo, you can probably observe similar patterns in western elections as candidates consolidate their support, and Yeltsin did have media/illegal funding advantages + actually trying to run a modern western style electoral campaign. It's not too strange that Yeltsin caught up to Zyuganov by the actual election.

This is considering how fragmented the field was, going from 5-11% support in February to 14-18% support in March to 35% in the first round in June is one hell of a turn-around. At that same time, Zuganov's support was relatively stable across the period.

Yeltsin went from extremely unpopular to the leading candidate in about 3.5 months. I don't know if you call it "hard" rigging but honestly many of the harsher complaints the election do have grains of truth to them. Yeltsin was clearly saved from certain defeat by what transpired.

Btw, the big influencers were ignoring spending rules, utilizing state media, and almost certainly the IMF deal (they got a giant EEF (extended fund facility on March 26)) which went a long way in helping to stabilize the Ruble during that period.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 21, 2018

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typo posted:

the source you are posting from literally has WTC CONTROLLED DEMOLITION on the front page dude

Ok I feel dumb for not noticing that but no I didn't check the front page. My bad.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Typo posted:

A lot of this is coming from Stephen Cohen's "Soviet Fates and lost alternatives":

https://www.amazon.ca/Soviet-Fates-Lost-Alternatives-Stalinism/dp/0231148976

And yes, it is a very compelling read

I do not find Stephen Cohen to be anything close to objective, at least not in the op-eds he writes and the interviews he gives. He's basically the RT of academics.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ardennes posted:

This is considering how fragmented the field was, going from 5-11% support in February to 14-18% support in March to 35% in the first round in June is one hell of a turn-around. At that same time, Zuganov's support was relatively stable across the period.

Well, isnt that what's likely to happen when the overriding question is between "go back to communism and don't do that do something esle?" There were lots of candidates initially splitting the "don't do that do something else" group but Zuganov was the clear choice for the "go back to communism" voter from the start.

The fact that the other side gradually abandoned the other candidates and coalesced around Yeltsin does not mean that they changed their mind on the big issue before them - just who to choose to do it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

predicto posted:

Well, isnt that what's likely to happen when the overriding question is between "go back to communism and don't do that do something esle?" There were lots of candidates initially splitting the "don't do that do something else" group but Zuganov was the clear choice for the "go back to communism" voter from the start.

Zuganov was a known quantity, and it wasn't a surprise he was running. The question is why did Yeltsin become the pick considering he was very unpopular around February, he was getting 4th place in a lot of polls.

Also, "communism" or "not communism" wasn't the choice, the Soviet Union wasn't coming back and in all honesty, Zuganov even then was a light-weight ideologically speaking.

Also, Cohen's academic work is separate from his public persona, and honestly that is the discussion at hand.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

predicto posted:

I do not find Stephen Cohen to be anything close to objective, at least not in the op-eds he writes and the interviews he gives. He's basically the RT of academics.

When it comes to current us russia relations i agree cohen is too pro russia for me. Though i do not entirely discount his point that the us really did screw up its relationship with russia in the 90s, nor the genuine sense of grievance russia has with rhe west. But when he points at ukraine and go its americas fault i strongly disagree with him.

At the same time the book i linked is basically pro gorbachev and anti yeltsin. The book argues russia lost its real shot of democracy with the fall of Gorbachevs USSR. What kind of agenda is being pushed here? Gorbachev is irrelevant today and the condemnation is against putins political patron. The book doesnt blame the US either. Its a biased piece of work but in the light of continual survival of authoritarian regimes with worse economic and political problems than ths ussr in 1985, its hard not to agree with his arguments.

Typo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 21, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ardennes posted:

Zuganov was a known quantity, and it wasn't a surprise he was running. The question is why did Yeltsin become the pick considering he was very unpopular around February, he was getting 4th place in a lot of polls.

Also, "communism" or "not communism" wasn't the choice, the Soviet Union wasn't coming back and in all honesty, Zuganov even then was a light-weight ideologically speaking.

Also, Cohen's academic work is separate from his public persona, and honestly that is the discussion at hand.

As current us politics inform us it works when you run against what you want your opponent to be and not what he actually is. If republicans can successfully portray obama as hitler mao yeltsin can portray zuyganov as brezhnev.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Typo posted:

As current us politics inform us it works when you run against what you want your opponent to be and not what he actually is. If republicans can successfully portray obama as hitler mao yeltsin can portray zuyganov as brezhnev.

The question is if political polarization was actually responsible, or simply the public was so bombarded from so many angles that Yeltsin was saved from the jaws of defeat, and the West had its fair share of involvement in this.

Cohen has a pretty different reputation in 2018 than in 2010 when the book was published. That said, it is clear from an ideological perspective that Cohen is very much a left-liberal/social democrat, just one that is a Russophile.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I wanted to add that Zyuganov would have probably still been screwed by the 1997 Asian crisis, and in that context, VVP would have still had an opening in 1999/2000.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

mod edit: too big

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 25, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw to throw it out there, I wonder how much that is going on Ukraine is a purposeful distraction from increasing unhappiness at home.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Btw to throw it out there, I wonder how much that is going on Ukraine is a purposeful distraction from increasing unhappiness at home.

For which country?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

For which country?

Russia, although could also be applied to both although Poroshenko hasn't been popular for a while.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The vessel inspections are bullshit. They're not acting in a legitimate port state capacity. This is larger than the Russia - Ukraine issue. Vessels of all flags are being boarded. This is a bfd.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrandorKP posted:

The vessel inspections are bullshit. They're not acting in a legitimate port state capacity. This is larger than the Russia - Ukraine issue. Vessels of all flags are being boarded. This is a bfd.

The idea is to distract the population, so it needs to be a pretty big international incident.

I hate to say it but I have been expecting something like this the last few weeks.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 25, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Welp, I'm going to put off looking at the affected ships until tonight. I think I'd prefer to not be sober for that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darth Walrus posted:

For which country?

the American Deep State

no really, Russia says the heightened tensions are the fault of Ukraine and anti-Trump elements who want to derail the pendong Trump Putin meeting

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

COMRADES posted:

Ok I feel dumb for not noticing that but no I didn't check the front page. My bad.

The article you posted was not actually from global research, they just syndicated it, which they do with all kinds of sources from Infowars to Der Spiegel. This one was from a Hetq, was seems like a fairly legit and mainstream Armenian news website.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

predicto posted:

The fact that the other side gradually abandoned the other candidates and coalesced around Yeltsin does not mean that they changed their mind on the big issue before them - just who to choose to do it.

also at least 1 the candidate (alexander lebed) who polled relatively well was pretty much openly kremlin plant to leech votes away from "anybody but yeltsin" from consolidating behind zuganov, basically jill stein of russia 1996

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

BrandorKP posted:

Where are you getting this information?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CountFosco posted:

Where are you getting this information?

Half was was the bbc article

BrandorKP posted:

It's pretty loving bad. They've defacto blockaded two Ukrainian ports with the tanker ship under the bridge and they're seizing ships.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vo5EMKg&ampcf=1

Link is BBC on what's going on.

"But recently there, Russia began inspecting all vessels sailing to or from Ukrainian ports."

Same article says this is affecting ships of EU member states flags. Only the Ukrainian ships have been seized but everybody is getting boardings.

The other half is that ships are what I do basically. Its probable that I'll eventually meet crew members that have been on affected vessels, though that might take years.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Crimea splits the black sea in half when controlled. So it makes sense that the rf would enforce sea rights after making that move. Mariupol is the real target.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

LeoMarr posted:

Crimea splits the black sea in half when controlled. So it makes sense that the rf would enforce sea rights after making that move. Mariupol is the real target.

We will see how VVP's approval holds up in December, he is still in the mid-50s at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I just wikipediad Mariupol and man, the Azovstal iron and steel works there looks like something out of Stalin's dreams. Soviet Ironworks for a better tomorrow.