Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Every steelworks I've been to has been metal as poo poo. :dadjoke: They're cooler at night, the towers of the blast furnaces usually have giant rear end flames coming out of the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Like, I always rolled my eyes at the phrase "dark satanic mills" until now.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BrandorKP posted:

Every steelworks I've been to has been metal as poo poo. :dadjoke: They're cooler at night, the towers of the blast furnaces usually have giant rear end flames coming out of the top.

Several decades ago I was in a car driving on the along the highway through Gary Indiana a few hours after sunset. Off in the distance was the Gary Works, the largest steel mill in the the USA (and maybe still the largest in the world back then), and it was roaring full blast with giant flames all over the place. It did a better job of capturing the feeling of Tolkein's Mordor than Stephen Jackson ever did.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I used to go in there all the time.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BrandorKP posted:

I used to go in there all the time.

I'm so goddamn jealous

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, Ukraine banning Russian men under 60 is probably going to be a real nightmare for a lot of families, and probably lead to even more misery for people caught in the crossfire of falling approval ratings.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...RSaokvm&ampcf=1

More Mariupol news in the BBC

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Theyre trying to strangulate the city.

The cargo turnover of Mariupol seaport in 2016 amounted to 7,6 million tons, the capacity of Mariupol seaport reaches 18,8 million tons / year

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Ukraine banning Russian men under 60 is probably going to be a real nightmare for a lot of families, and probably lead to even more misery for people caught in the crossfire of falling approval ratings.

Its such a weird policy to enforce too i mean I really dont understand the reasoning behind this. Russia has an open border into ukraine via donetsk. I mean seriously this is going to fuel the russian speakers in ukraine wanting to be part of russia to reunite their families.

Remember russias goal is a color revolution thst has the outward appearance of the peoples will

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LeoMarr posted:

Theyre trying to strangulate the city.

The cargo turnover of Mariupol seaport in 2016 amounted to 7,6 million tons, the capacity of Mariupol seaport reaches 18,8 million tons / year

And what does 7.6 million tons mean LeoMarr? Is that container tonnage, bulk, steel products?

Sorry my brain is flagging your post as odd. I mean you ran to a wiki or something similar for a figure you don't understand. And strangle, it's very weird to use "strangulate" And "7,6". I was under the impression you were a US conservative.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BrandorKP posted:

And what does 7.6 million tons mean LeoMarr? Is that container tonnage, bulk, steel products?

Sorry my brain is flagging your post as odd. I mean you ran to a wiki or something similar for a figure you don't understand. And strangle, it's very weird to use "strangulate" And "7,6". I was under the impression you were a US conservative.

Mariupol has the largest industrial output in ukraine, removing the shipping capability of the city will have significant effects on its ability to export products.

But I just realized I thought this was the eastern europe thread, i didng mean to post in tankie HQ

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

LeoMarr posted:

Mariupol has the largest industrial output in ukraine, removing the shipping capability of the city will have significant effects on its ability to export products.

But I just realized I thought this was the eastern europe thread, i didng mean to post in tankie HQ

I got to be honest, I don't really see what was "Tankie" about that post except I guess you didn't like it. As for Mariupol, the effective blockade is going to likely hurt the local economy, although there obviously remains land routes at higher shipping costs.

That said, coal and steel prices are at rock bottom as it is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

As for Mariupol, the effective blockade is going to likely hurt the local economy, although there obviously remains land routes at higher shipping costs.

That said, coal and steel prices are at rock bottom as it is.

Yeah they were almost certainly hurting already. It's rough to make pig iron without ships. One can transport the pellets, fines, sand, etc by rail but it's rough cause it's a lot. To me I'd guess the goal is probably to kill a supply chain that could also be military. It looks like a place with everything present to go from dirt to ship or tank.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrandorKP posted:

Yeah they were almost certainly hurting already. It's rough to make pig iron without ships. One can transport the pellets, fines, sand, etc by rail but it's rough cause it's a lot. To me I'd guess the goal is probably to kill a supply chain that could also be military. It looks like a place with everything present to go from dirt to ship or tank.

Cutting off shipping is probably putting pressure on their bottom line, steel is cheap as it is and higher transportation costs aren't doing them favors. That said, I don't think it would really affect their military supply-lines considering how available steel is in general.

Btw, it is has been a while since I looked at it, but I have been browing through the CIA FOIA files (yes this is what I do with my spare time) and they have a bunch of new files from the 1980s particularly on the Soviets. There isn't a smoking gun there obviously, but it is quite obviously that the CIA was hoping to pressure the Soviets in the energy sector and they had already identified it as an Achilles heel by 1981. Ironically enough between 1977-1981 they though the Soviets would be forced to import oil, and had backed off and by 1981 they realized they had gotten it wrong.

Pretty much everything is in PDFs so I just started downloading anything that looked interesting: fun-rainy day reading.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I'm working on a Soviet Union version of my territorial evolution articles on Wikipedia (Canada, Australia, and my magnum opus, the US), so I was wondering if anyone knew of books or journals or even websites that might go into detail on Soviet internal borders and laws?

Like, a nice thing about those three countries is, they are relatively young, English-speaking countries with a rich, and similar, record-keeping tradition that makes their laws all entirely available online. I thought I'd do the USSR next because, well, it's fascinating, but also because it didn't last long, and while it didn't have a lot of English records online, it was certainly well-scrutinized by countries who do.

I've tried looking but can't find a full list of Soviet federal laws. Presumably, any change in borders would involve some law, or at least decree from Soviet officials, so having that would help. Because I want the full shebang, not just the broad strokes that everyone else only seems to care about.

My work-in-progress (without images, I have those locally) is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Golbez/sandbox/USSR if you want to take a look.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Golbez posted:

I'm working on a Soviet Union version of my territorial evolution articles on Wikipedia (Canada, Australia, and my magnum opus, the US), so I was wondering if anyone knew of books or journals or even websites that might go into detail on Soviet internal borders and laws?

Try this site, http://www.libussr.ru . It seems to have a large list of Soviet laws and decrees available online. All in Russian, unfortunately, but perhaps Google Translate would help?

For example, here is a decree formalizing the border between the Russian SFSR and the Estonian SSR in 1946
http://www.libussr.ru/doc_ussr/ussr_4613.htm

Timespy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 30, 2018

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Timespy posted:

Try this site, http://www.libussr.ru . It seems to have a large list of Soviet laws and decrees available online. All in Russian, unfortunately, but perhaps Google Translate would help?

For example, here is a decree formalizing the border between the Russian SFSR and the Estonian SSR in 1946
http://www.libussr.ru/doc_ussr/ussr_4613.htm

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, a machine translation should be fine for most of these. Even just having a date to work from will give me a launching point.

Just ran the Google translate on it and it's not only readable, but seems eerily accurate.

Edit: Browsing these laws, it's really fascinating seeing the process by which they were attempting to create a modern patchwork of laws from whole cloth.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 30, 2018

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I think Putin's goal is just to keep the Donbass war simmering, with a relatively low but persistent level of tension. This is just another "frozen conflict" like Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Transnistria, utilized as a relatively "low cost" way of keeping these countries out of NATO. As long as these conflicts go unresolved none of these countries can join NATO, which would never accept a new member with an ongoing conflict anyway since it would mean going to war as soon as the ink was dry on the accession treaty.

To keep tensions high there has to be a flare up every now and then, whether planned or not, it serves its purpose of reminding people that eastern Ukraine is still a disputed territory and dangerous place, not a stable and modern European nation that is strengthening ties to the west.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Has anyone watched Trotsky? Saw it while I was scrolling through stuff on Netflix, and I was wondering if it was any good.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
To anyone that might know, were the Russian celebrities always political surrogates or is that a recent development?

Just watching the New Years Eve celebrations, and the amount of heavy handed political refrences - an entire song ridiculing Russian interference in western elections, a comedy bit about the Sea of Azov incident, cute references to pension reform, etc. really stands out to me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are there any studies of the average level of corruption in the USSR in terms of real figures? Particularly in comparison the 90's / present day?

I mean corruption both in terms of frequency / pervasiveness (how often wold the average functionary accept a bribe / how often would the average citizen offer one) and overall sums involved (just how much would the average functionary steal by comparison to their official salary / the median salary / the GDP).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Shaddak posted:

Has anyone watched Trotsky? Saw it while I was scrolling through stuff on Netflix, and I was wondering if it was any good.

Reviews seem pretty mixed. It sounds like it plays fast and loose with facts, most notably claiming that Trotsky personally ordered the execution of the Romanovs, which...yeah, probably not. But I haven't seen it, so who knows. It could be good outside of a few glaring goofy incidents. Or it could be unwatchable.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

Reviews seem pretty mixed. It sounds like it plays fast and loose with facts, most notably claiming that Trotsky personally ordered the execution of the Romanovs, which...yeah, probably not. But I haven't seen it, so who knows. It could be good outside of a few glaring goofy incidents. Or it could be unwatchable.

it's pretty bad; someone shared this link to a scene where lenin is contemplating suicide(?) and then holds trotsky over a ledge while demanding absolute obedience: "i am the head! you are the weapon!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xahs6BiSkc8&t=1134s

haven't watched it, but apparently the fact that trotsky is jewish is highlighted extensively, and he is blamed for all of the bad things that happened in the revolution.

if you want a better (but not necessarily good) serial about the russian revolution on netflix, they recently remade "road to calvary". it has much higher production values, and the spin is somewhat less awful (it is rather anti-ukrainian).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The showrunner for "Trotsky" admitted that is essentially a fictional account designed for entertainment purposes and from what I heard about it, that seems about right. Btw, its intended audience seems to be the Russian right/hard-right.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

So it's for the "Ivan The Terrible was framed by the Jews." types.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 15, 2019

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The show was described to me as "Sexual adventures of leather daddy Trotsky and the communist dick train that goes 'jooo-jooo' ", and from the random scenes I've watched, it's surprisingly accurate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
The Antifada podcast has a great review of the miniseries up. It sounds very Russian, for all the good and bad that entails when it comes to portrayals of Trotsky. Ultimately, it follows the Putinist line of not really discussing his ideology at all, and instead attempting to psychoanalyze how being a Jewish sexual deviant alpha male turned him into a revolutionary. While those were all definitely aspects of his personality, it's pretty reductive.

That said, I understand that it portrays pogroms as a bad thing, so...a step forward for Russian pop culture, I guess?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I know very little about Russian history and, I'm only one episode in, but so far it seems like it's playing up Trotsky as some kind of rock star.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Xander77 posted:

Are there any studies of the average level of corruption in the USSR in terms of real figures? Particularly in comparison the 90's / present day?

I mean corruption both in terms of frequency / pervasiveness (how often wold the average functionary accept a bribe / how often would the average citizen offer one) and overall sums involved (just how much would the average functionary steal by comparison to their official salary / the median salary / the GDP).

this kind of study sounds impossible to exist and be reliable. Because for one, what constitutes "corruption" and "bribe" is really unclear at times. For another, people are probably unlikely to admit they took/gave a bribe if some guy comes around asking "how many times have you bribed somebody within the last 20 years" cuz they'd think the dude's a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
For the reasons Typo mentioned, getting that kind of information reliably is complicated, especially for a state that wasn't that big on having independent government watchdogs. Someone has likely gone trawling through the KGB archives to try and approximate it from anti-corruption investigations but I'm not familiar with any specific work offhand.

https://www.amazon.com/Putins-Kleptocracy-Who-Owns-Russia-ebook/dp/B00L01GHGY/ is a well-researched investigation of how modern corruption works in practice, though it's extremely dry.