Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
I used this to make The City of Black Steel, a stone age/proto-polynesian ocean city with a unique metal its inhabitants used to infuse everything with animist spirits to provide blessings and fortune. The wealthy displayed their power by building ever more elaborate docks and fishing fleets, until they fell to sheer, obvious hubris by stripping the oceans of fish even with the spirits' bounty. Most of them fled on the fishing fleets when the city's demise became clear, but a few remained and died after leaving behind their notes.

My PCs thought that was awesome and then proceeded to loot every bit of the spirit-trapping metal they could carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Abyssal Squid posted:

That rules, and I can't believe I forgot "irreproducible high-tech alloy" as an example of leftover mineral wealth.

Did the spirits care about being abandoned for millennia, were they happy to have been left alone, or were they more impersonal sorts without feelings? Or did your players just not worry about that part?

The spirits were loving pissed, but the players are trying to be practical good guys in SotDL, so they ended up freeing most of them to escape the desolate rock in the middle of the ocean leagues from anywhere (and came off looking like the better option for the spirits than the evil cultist archaeologists they'd defeated). I'll have it come back to haunt them if they try to use the metal.

I'm definitely going to have to use this for my Godbound game whenever I get around to returning to that - it fits in nicely between Crawford's faction generators and dungeon generators, giving them cool places to live/exist.