Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It kind of puts a damper on her "I dont trust city folk in suits and ties" speech she gave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Aces High posted:

makes sense, a lot of these homesteaders are out on their own, have to rely on themselves to survive in a not-so-hospitable place (what with bandits and the environment), and need to figure out how to cope in order to survive.

Hmm, good point, considering the location seems to be up to its rear end in bandits and unusually deadly wildlife, I suppose only crazy people would actually stick around.

Zeniel posted:

Yeah that's exactly the vibe I got off of it. I mean I have played this game before and might well have done this mission but it's been so long I've forgotten. But yeah everyone's a nutcase, amoral or both. Except for Bonnie of course.

Bonnie does seem to be developing a crush on Marston, which is its own kind of crazy. Besides, I’m wondering if she gets killed off, though her father is also kind of a likely target so maybe he goes instead of her.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
There's an irritating lack of closure in a lot of these stranger missions. Like, we know there's a mad old woman still waiting at the church, but we can't go see if she has any family or whatever we can take her back to? John wants to help Jenny to not die out in the deserted wilderness with nothing but cacti and wandering lawmen for company, but he can't muster up a quick "What's that, Lord? You want me to take Miss Jenny back to town so she can, uh, inspire the faithful? Well hallelujah!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

inflatablefish posted:

There's an irritating lack of closure in a lot of these stranger missions. Like, we know there's a mad old woman still waiting at the church, but we can't go see if she has any family or whatever we can take her back to? John wants to help Jenny to not die out in the deserted wilderness with nothing but cacti and wandering lawmen for company, but he can't muster up a quick "What's that, Lord? You want me to take Miss Jenny back to town so she can, uh, inspire the faithful? Well hallelujah!"
Yeah, that's quite annoying and one of the things RDR2 did better, although in one specific case their mission scripting can bug out and inadvertently cause people to think that particular quest has a super bleak ending.

As for the crazy old lady, some folks have theorized she might actually be a ghost. I don't necessarily subscribe to that theory, but the encounter with her is definitely weird enough (and there are hints of supernatural stuff elsewhere in the game as well) that I can see why you might think that. She actually is dead in Undead Nightmare, although that of course takes place after the main game and in an alternate timeline as well.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 24, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jeez, has it been a month already? Stupid work projects taking up all the time I could use for important things like talking over video game videos...

Episode 8: You Shall Not Give False Testimony, Except for Profit

Nigel West Dickens has discovered the cure to all ailments and enlists our help demonstrating its qualities. Interestingly, this literal snake oil appears to actually work somewhat, improving John's shooting skills. Mr. NWD also directs us to a rather interesting fellow named Seth Briars...

Also, here is the first newspaper of the game, Blackwater Ledger No. 53:

I'll upload a version of this later where the HUD elements aren't blocking the lower corner. Not that anything important is blocked here, just a couple of ads and a cheat code ("The old ways is the best ways", overlays a sepia filter on the screen) but I'll fix it anyway once I get a better shot of the lower corner of the newspaper. Or I could just link to an existing upload, but where's the fun in that?

edit: Also, as the description quite clearly states, the rabbit's foot we bought doesn't make the enemies less accurate and in fact gives us 20% more ammo and items when we loot enemies. The thing that does make enemies less accurate is actually another item we get later on if the random number generator decides to co-operate. Maybe I should actually read the onscreen text sometimes.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 24, 2019

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Well, he''s certainly a character...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 9: Liars, Cheats and Other Proud Americans

Racing. The sport of kings, and the kind of mission everyone loves so much there has to be at least one mandatory race in every open world game that must be won. Fortunately, this one isn't very difficult, and I genuinely like racing anyway so I don't mind it. In today's episode, we also encounter another one of West Dickens' fine friends who is supposed to help us get into Fort Mercer. Of course, since everyone in this game is crazy, stupid or both, things aren't quite that simple.

The 1440p and 4K versions of the video are still processing, check back in a couple of hours or so.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh boy, an update you didn't have to wait a month for! :getin: I do apologize for the erratic schedule, but I pretty much have to post these updates whenever I'm not too busy with work or too tired from a big project.

Episode 10: Let the Dead Bury Their Dead

As a wise man once said, who finds a friend finds a treasure. Actually, that's an old Bud Spencer & Terence Hill movie, and I'm not sure Seth really counts as a friend, but it's still a nice sentiment. Plus, we find some real treasure as well, with monetary value and everything.

The 1080p version is live now, 1440p and 4K will take a few more hours to process so check back after a while for those high-res versions of the episode.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I did not expect to suddenly hear the Wilhelm scream in the middle of the Tumbleweed firefight.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I did not expect to suddenly hear the Wilhelm scream in the middle of the Tumbleweed firefight.
It pops up in firefights from time to time, usually a couple of times per playthrough although (spoiler alert) I've heard quite a few while recording upcoming episodes.

Speaking of upcoming episodes (one of which will be uploaded in a few hours), let's say old Lord Saddler has to... retire for whatever reason which may or may not involve mountain lions in some capacity, what should I name his replacement? Lord Saddler the 2nd is not available this time because the replacement, the War Horse, is not of the noble Saddler breed. The current frontrunner, as suggested in the SALP discord, is Salazar, but I'd like the thread's suggestions as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Princess Horsey lady

Look, you try telling your daughter that's not a good name, all right?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Princess Horsey lady

Look, you try telling your daughter that's not a good name, all right?
That is a perfectly good name for a horse and I will use it if I ever do an LP of Red Dead Redemption II and the game gives me a female horse. Sadly, I did forget to mention all horses in RDR1 are stallions, which I suppose technically doesn't prevent me from naming one of them "Princess Horsey Lady" or Princess for short, but I think I'll keep that one in mind for the sequel. Prequel. Whatever. The one with the II at the end.

Or maybe I'll save it for the unicorn in Undead Nightmare.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Prince Horsey Guy then.

Also I fully expected the treasure chest to include a letter going "Haha you are such a dumbass for doing this" to Seth which feels peak Rockstar in a way.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Prince Horsey Guy then.
He needs to be more purple to earn the right to be called Prince. Sadly, you can't have a purple horse in RDR or even in RDR II, although that at least lets you name the horses in-game and give them silly mane and tail styles.

quote:

Also I fully expected the treasure chest to include a letter going "Haha you are such a dumbass for doing this" to Seth which feels peak Rockstar in a way.
I'm pretty sure that wasn't even a treasure chest, just a trunk some one-eyed guy was storing his stuff in that Seth thought was a treasure chest. :v: I think it'd have been funny if Seth's map to the Tumbleweed treasure turned out to be identical to our map and the gold bar we picked up in the basement was the treasure all along. That said, the gold bars are worth only a few hundred bucks each, and even though that was a lot of money back then it wasn't exactly going to be the unimaginable riches he was looking for.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

We could call the new one Luis

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 11: Can a Swindler Change His Spots?

Today, we're spending time with our good buddy Nigel West Dickens again. First off, we do some work on the customer complaints department of his elixir business, and then take part in another race which isn't nearly as simple as the previous one. Can we pull off the win without shoving a bottle of pills of questionable origin down Lord Saddler's throat?

Speaking of Lord Saddler, keep sending in those suggestions for the name of his eventual successor. There's no rush or anything, he'll be around for a few more episodes.

e: 1440p and 4K versions will take a while to process, as usual.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Bridle and Prejudice

<snip>
edit: Getting old it seems, managed to 100% repeat myself after one entire page.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 28, 2019

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Prince Horsey Lady

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

There is something really enjoyable about John continuously talking poo poo to the team he's building up.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Butt Stallion.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

White Coke posted:

Butt Stallion.

Well someone's been watching the Borderlands 3 trailer.

Chardonneigh.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

WFGuy posted:

Well someone's been watching the Borderlands 3 trailer.

Chardonneigh.

I love this name, but I'm pretty sure we can get a champagne-coloured horse later on that we should save this one for.

Given that we seem to be ruling out royal titles for our steeds, let's call our new friend Citizen Horseperson.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 12: Born Unto Trouble

We visit Gaptooth Breach, and have some fun with mining equipment as we look for that gatling gun Irish promised he'd get for us. Elsewhere, we encounter more strangers and they're just as, erm, interesting as usual...

Jeb's sidequest largely feels like a bit of a cheap joke by Rockstar, but there's more to his story. His surname is Blankenship, as indicated by the game files and a newspaper blurb later on, and someone named Grace Blankenship is buried in the Tumbleweed graveyard with a headstone stating she died in 1907 and is survived by "loving husband Jeb". The clear implication here is that the the poor bastard lost his mind after the death of his wife.

Finally, here's Blackwater Ledger No. 54:

How dare they accuse me of horse doping? :argh: Speaking of horses, keep sending in those name suggestions.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 2, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 13: The Hanging

We finish up Irish's missions, and that means we are just about ready to hit Fort Mercer. Or at least we would be, if we didn't have to ride to Tumbleweed first to save someone from being hanged by Williamson's gang...

Actually, next time we'll be doing some of the side stuff we have left in New Austin, and Fort Mercer will be episode 15.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 14: Lights, Camera, Action

We're almost ready to head on over to Fort Mercer and take on Bill Williamson's gang, but first there are some things we should take care of such as stranger missions, gang hideouts, and heavy drinking. So, that's what is on the agenda for today, and next time we will assault Fort Mercer.

If anyone still has horse name suggestions, please post them. I'm quite liking Citizen Horseperson (C.H.P. or "Chip" for short) but I haven't decided on anything yet. I certainly don't want to go through the desert on a horse with no name, and so the decision will be made before episode 17. Hm... now that I think of it, "Horse with No Name" is actually a pretty good name for a horse in a western game, but please keep those suggestions coming if you have any.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I know that John is obviously weirded out but I've always thought his excuse of "I have a meeting with planet Earth" is very mean-spirited. Considering how he reacted to returning a horse to a man that treats it like a wife, I think he could have said something else and not seemed like an rear end in a top hat.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Doc M posted:

If anyone still has horse name suggestions, please post them. I'm quite liking Citizen Horseperson (C.H.P. or "Chip" for short) but I haven't decided on anything yet. I certainly don't want to go through the desert on a horse with no name, and so the decision will be made before episode 17. Hm... now that I think of it, "Horse with No Name" is actually a pretty good name for a horse in a western game, but please keep those suggestions coming if you have any.

How about we wait until we reach the actual desert before we call our horse Horse With No Name?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

How about we wait until we reach the actual desert before we call our horse Horse With No Name?
That's a fair point. After all, in the desert, you can't remember your name so it'd make sense you'd forget your horse's name as well.

I do apologize for getting that song and its awful lyrics stuck in everyone's head.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Take your pick from this thread of Communist Horse Names.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

So, if you watched the latest episode, you saw me getting shot at in Thieves' Landing. That's certainly nothing new, but it seems no one knows for sure why people will start shooting at you (I always assumed it was tied to your honor rank) or whether any disguises will help. The bandana certainly doesn't.

According to my extensive research (about five minutes on Google and the RDR wiki), if there is a trigger for the NPCs to start firing at Marston it doesn't seem to have anything to do with your honor level, or at least not exclusively. Of course, when you reach max honor, friendly NPCs will occasionally come up to you and be all "It's the Hero of Kvatch!" so it'd make sense if attaining that rank would also make some of the lowlifes in Thieves' Landing hostile. However, that doesn't seem to be the case, and it may actually have more to do with Marston shooting up Pike's Basin (presumably for the second time, when you complete the gang hideout like we did in the video before going to Thieves' Landing). The guys who will start shooting at you in Thieves' Landing are members of the Bollard Twins gang, so it'd also make sense for them to go hostile. It might also be a combination of high honor and having completed Pike's Basin, since we never had any issues in Thieves' Landing in the past.

As for why the Bollard Twins outfit (whose entire purpose is to disguise you as a member of the gang) didn't stop us from getting shot at in the video, I think that might have happened because I didn't put on the disguise until after I had entered Thieves' Landing and so the Bollard gang members in town still knew it was us. After I saved and loaded, we were able to walk right past some guys who looked like Bollard gang members without any issue. I'm just guessing, though, because nobody apparently knows for sure how any of this works.

edit: Speaking of max honor, it'll make NPCs look the other way and not report any crimes you may commit unless you actually murder someone. That might have been helpful when we were taking Jenny back to civilization, although in that case we were spotted by a nearby lawman so it probably wouldn't have made a difference. I'm also not planning to commit any more crimes at this point, so it doesn't really matter either way whether people will report us. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 17, 2019

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I really like the look of Thieves Landing in this game, very dark spooky swamp town. Its a shame so little of the game takes place there I wish more of it did.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 15: The Assault on Fort Mercer

All our efforts in New Austin have built up to this (well, maybe not the side missions, but you know what I mean). We're finally storming Fort Mercer with all of our allies, and we plan on taking Bill Williamson dead or alive.

This episode is a short one because it's just the Fort Mercer mission. I didn't want to immediately follow up the finale of the game's first act with a bunch of side stuff, so next time we'll start the episode with that before we continue the plot. Also, this is your last opportunity to suggest names for the War Horse, because he'll be making his return in the next episode.

1080p version is live, 1440p/4K are taking forever to process as usual.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 9, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man, what a wet fart of a take on the classic "Surprise gatling gun in the wagon" scene

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just me or is the audio really choppy in the last video?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just me or is the audio really choppy in the last video?
That's odd, everything sounds fine on my end. Anyone else having audio issues?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah around the 3minute mark the audio starts to cut in and out weirdly.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

:wtc:

I've tried playing the video at different resolutions and on different browsers, and never encountered any audio issues (aside from my voice in general :v:). Still, I clearly need to do something about this, so I'll render another version of the video (at 1080p because rendering 4K videos takes ages) for you guys, and you can tell me if the problems are fixed.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

edit: I know what's wrong now, I'm gonna fix it

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 9, 2019

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Honestly it might've been the games audio just screwing up. It's only for a small chunk of the video. And it's like all the audio cuts out unless someone is speaking. But I think it just happens in that cutscene around the 3 minute mark. Perfectly fine otherwise :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Honestly it might've been the games audio just screwing up. It's only for a small chunk of the video. And it's like all the audio cuts out unless someone is speaking. But I think it just happens in that cutscene around the 3 minute mark. Perfectly fine otherwise :)
Oh yeah, now I noticed the problem during that cutscene after I cranked up the volume on my end. Yeah, there's definitely something weird going on there. Actually, what I think might have happened is that I accidentally applied noise gate on both tracks instead of just the commentary track. :downs: I'm gonna fix that, that sucks.

edit: Yes, that is in fact what happened. Even if it's not that noticeable, I'm still going to reupload the episode with unfucked audio because it'll bug me forever if I don't.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 9, 2019