Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, what a wet fart of a take on the classic "Surprise gatling gun in the wagon" scene

A bit yes, John having to flip both sides open kinda killed the surprise a bit. Having just the hatch open like they showed during the cutscenes would've worked so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've now re-uploaded the latest video with a fixed audio track, and updated the links in the OP and the update post. The 1440p and 4K versions will take some more time to process, as usual.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 9, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 16: We Shall Be Together in Paradise

Mexico awaits! However, before we can head down south, we have a few more sidequests to complete in New Austin...

1440p/4K versions still processing, as usual. Also, if you're familiar with the game, you probably know that something cool happens when you first arrive in Mexico, and I end the video right before it is supposed to happen. That will open the next video, so rest assured you're not missing anything.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 31, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The pacing for that raft segment was really off and could really have been shorter.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Right, so it turns out Jose Gonzalez' "Far Away" is ContentID blocked in 235 countries. :negative:

I was so looking forward to this part. Oh well. While you wait for me to upload a version of the video with the song removed, you can and should watch this old upload that for some reason hasn't been flagged for copyright yet.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 16, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

edit: check the OP for the cut version of episode 17

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 7, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's amazing how well Landon's VA pulls off a Lee Van Cleef impression.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah Landon's VA has gotta be someone famous, probably cowboy famous, but can't be bothered checking.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I looked it up because I was confused once he started speaking. It's Ross Hagen.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0353448/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t20

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Right, let's try this again!

Episode 17: Far Away

This is the full, uncut version of the episode, rendered and uploaded at the usual upscaled 4K/30M quality, with the Jose Gonzalez song intact as God intended. As it turns out, the copyright database thing was full of poo poo and all the ContentID claim did was monetize the video. This upload should be available worldwide, but the cut version is still there just in case you run into issues.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 16, 2019

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

I looked it up because I was confused once he started speaking. It's Ross Hagen.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0353448/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t20

...Well I'm still not sure who that is, but he definitely played more than one cowboy.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hey, I'm not dead!

Episode 18: Landon Ricketts Rides Again

Today we help Landon Ricketts rescue a kidnapped girl, and then we meet up with an old acquaintance.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Welcome back!

I always forget how interconnected the RDR plotline was. That said, I also kind of forgot the entirety of the Mexico section, so....

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 19: Civilization, at Any Price

Hanging out with Landon Ricketts has been a good time and all, but John hasn't really gotten any closer to finding Bill and Javier. So, perhaps it's time to head on over to Escalera and go see if the army could help us on our quest...

1080p version is live, 1440p/4K are taking forever to process again.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

All you had to do was to follow the drat train Marston.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

So back when I played this I was under the impression that once you made it to Mexico you're stuck there until the plot took you back across the river. But this mission (for some reason) blows up what I think is a connecting bridge between the two. Before this mission could you have rode back over? In fact could you just fast travel between the two as you please?

I want to play this again :sigh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Fwoderwick posted:

So back when I played this I was under the impression that once you made it to Mexico you're stuck there until the plot took you back across the river. But this mission (for some reason) blows up what I think is a connecting bridge between the two. Before this mission could you have rode back over? In fact could you just fast travel between the two as you please?
There's still at least one bridge that will take you to New Austin (we'll see that in the next video), and I'm pretty sure you can fast travel between Mexico and New Austin at this point although I've never really needed to do so until much later. The Butter Bridge does stay destroyed for a while, though.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 10, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 20: The Demon Drink

You know, I'm starting to think we're working for the bad guys and they're stringing Marston along because he's stupid. I wonder where I could possibly have got that idea.

Also, keep an eye out for the amazing invisible Mexican soldier in one of the cutscenes. I don't think I've seen that particular glitch before.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Army parts really is the obligatory "You are forced to be an rear end in a top hat for plot" missions that I know keep cropping up in Rockstar games and elsewhere.

Also that last shot in the cutscene is a bit too on the nose.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 10, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Also that last shot in the cutscene is a bit too on the nose.
Rockstar, as we've seen over the years, aren't exactly masters of subtlety. :v:

Still, that shot at least made for a more interesting video thumbnail than another "Marston and a bunch of idiots standing around" image.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah, a spooky floating gun, just in time for Halloween.

Hope we get to see Marston turn around and start reprimanding snake oil salesmen for being bad again after all that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I genuinely considered abandoning this LP during the latest break, but as you can see that did not happen.

Episode 21: Still Strange

Today, we get started on the Stranger missions down in Mexico, and Marston gets to participate in some more morally dubious endeavors. Despite what I say in the video, there are actually TWO more Stranger missions besides the ones we've started or completed at this point. I always forget one of them exists. 1440p/4K still processing as of this post, and all that.

Also, here's Blackwater Ledger No. 56. I seem to have skipped issue 55, but I can always go back and get that one as well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'd just like to mention I haven't forgotten about this.

The biggest snag I'm running into with the updates for this LP is that 4K videos take absolutely forever to render and upload (or, to be precise, process on YouTube) and I just haven't been bothering lately because :effort: (plus the fact I've got two other LPs that are much more popular, so I've obviously been prioritizing those). I think from here on, I'll drop the video resolution to 1440p, which should still keep things nice and sharp without gigantic file sizes or rendering/processing times. I've got the entire rest of the game recorded and edited, so all that remains is to record commentary and post the rest of the videos.

I will finish this LP even if it's the last thing I do.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, that took a bit longer than expected, but here we go again. We're back in the saddle, if you will, ready to do some cowboy poo poo again. :clint:

Episode 22: The Other Train Mission

Today, we've got some fun and exciting conversations with the always friendly and jovial Mexican military folk, and an even more fun and exciting Gatling gun section! Because I can't possibly take this much excitement at once by myself, I've brought my GTA LP pardner ChaosArgate along to help me out. The Mexico part of RDR really isn't very good, not gonna lie.

The 4K version of the video is still processing, which may or may not take another four six months. I know I said I wasn't going to bother with 4K anymore, but since Premiere's recent beta update cut the rendering time on a half-hour 4K video to eight minutes I figured I'd give it one more shot. Now YouTube just needs to figure their stuff out.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 26, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yes, there's the quality Rockstar Dialogue:tm: that we all know and love.

I actually picked up GTA5 when they offered it for free on EGS but there's a snowballs chance in hell I'll actually play because of stuff like that.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I remember failing that mission a couple of times in the train section and being pretty frustrated with it, but the vistas and atmosphere that accompanies it all go a long way to papering over the many gameplay cracks. Mexico in general gave me this real melancholic stranger in a strange land feel that I don't think I've ever felt in a game since.

And it's a real shame the train is going in the direction it is because the view when you look backwards at the 30 minute mark is genuinely beautiful even 10 years on.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah yes, there's the quality Rockstar Dialogue:tm: that we all know and love.

I actually picked up GTA5 when they offered it for free on EGS but there's a snowballs chance in hell I'll actually play because of stuff like that.

At least in this game it comes with some nice scenery to look at !

I'm still kicking myself for being too late to pick up GTA5 for free. I don't know how much of the actual game I'd play, but in most of the GTA games it's just nice to put the radio on and drive around and see the sights.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

EDIT: well that didn't last very long, did it

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 23, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Howdy, folks. A short break from the forums has helped quite a bit and I'm in a much better place mentally than I was a month ago, so I figured I'd at least come back to finish the LP on SA and then figure out what happens after that. I've posted two videos during the break and you may already have seen them on YouTube, but here they are anyway. I'll post the next update sometime before the weekend. :clint:

---

Episode 23: Must a Savior Die?

We've just about had enough of the army being completely useless to us in our search for Bill Williamson and Javier Escuella (not to mention horrible people in general), so we should look elsewhere. Landon Ricketts told us to go visit Luisa Fortuna once she had recovered from her kidnapping ordeal, so we might as well start from there and see if she can help us. We are also introduced to Abraham Reyes, the illustrious rebel leader we have to rescue from the army before it's too late, and swiftly discover this much-heralded savior of the people might not be as amazing as Luisa made him sound...

---

Episode 24: John Marston, Genius

Good news! The army has finally come through and located Bill and Javier, and all Marston has to do now is mosey his way inside a church with a group of armed soldiers behind him! Finally, our job in Mexico is done!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, it took a couple of extra days, but here's an update. :clint:

Episode 25: The Other Other Train Mission

Remember a couple of videos ago when we stole the train for the army? Well, now we're gonna steal it back for the rebels, which of course means more of that exciting Gatling gun action we all enjoy so much.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 26: Adios :nws:

We finally, FINALLY locate Bill and Javier and finish the Mexico section of the game, which hasn't been massively tedious on my previous playthroughs but almost killed this LP. This episode is 49 minutes long because A) there wasn't a good cut-off point and B) I want the Mexico part over and done with as soon as possible. It's also 1080p only because YouTube's had some trouble rendering higher resolution videos lately.

Regarding the :nws: tag, the original release of RDR actually had full frontal nudity in the opening scene of "The Gates of El Presidio" but it was covered up in the Game of the Year Edition we're playing. I'm not sure why (I assumed the game had not been rated for nudity upon its original release, but it appears it actually had), but there you go.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 16, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Holy crap, someone said they could tell us where our targets were and then they actually did. That's probably why this section dragged so much, it's just a constant stream of the game telling you it's almost over and then pulling the football away.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Holy crap, someone said they could tell us where our targets were and then they actually did. That's probably why this section dragged so much, it's just a constant stream of the game telling you it's almost over and then pulling the football away.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. If they'd established any other actual motivations or had like...a second plot thread, maybe it would have felt less like getting jerked around for hours on end.

Also, man, gently caress Rockstar for doing Luisa like that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 27: The Accountant

With our work in Mexico finally done, it's time to head back to the US, complete the remaining side mission in New Austin and ride eastward to West Elizabeth (while recording, I kept forgetting the name of the region that encompasses Blackwater, the Great Plains and Tall Trees, but it's West Elizabeth), where we encounter the mysterious stranger one last time. Will our sharply dressed friend tell us how he knows John and what his deal is in general?

1440p/4K are still processing, as tends to be the case when I upload one of these ultra HD videos.

As I promised in the video, here's the text from Sam's letter:

Sam Odessa posted:

My darling wife,

Not a day goes by when I don't think about you and our beautiful baby boy. It is now many weeks since we parted. Precisely how long, I don't know. Time, once so predictable and reliable, has slipped away from me. I know how callous my abrupt departure in the dead of night must have appeared, and for that I am truly sorry, but I hope you will find it in your heart one day to forgive me. For it was not a choice to leave, but rather an obligation. My grandfather came to this country with a dream; a dream that was passed down to me, that is in my blood, in my very soul. I always believed it was my duty to realize that dream, to complete a journey that started in Odessa, by the Black Sea, three generations ago, but I have lost sight of what it is, if I ever knew at all. I am headed west towards the ocean, but I'm not sure why anymore. Day after day, the sun beats down on me in this godforsaken desert, relentless and mocking. Every step I take forward, I seem to get further away. I thought this was my destiny, and perhaps it is. Maybe we are condemned to walk in circles, chasing the skyline. Maybe it is all a lie. Oh, this is a terrible land of broken promises.

I had everything and gave it up in the pursuit of nothing. I fear I have made a terrible mistake, but there is no way back now.

Forever yours,

Sam

I also uploaded some more newspapers, including issue #55 which I'd previously missed:

Blackwater Ledger #55 (with button prompts because I forgot to scroll down and take a picture of the lower half without them):

Blackwater Ledger #57:

Blackwater Ledger #58:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 16, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The devil always collects his dues.

Also you might want to thumbnail the newspaper images.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Also you might want to thumbnail the newspaper images.
:wtc:

They're just links, no IMG tags. Are you using something that automatically adds tags to image links?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doc M posted:

:wtc:

They're just links, no IMG tags. Are you using something that automatically adds tags to image links?

Yeah I guess it's SALR's doing in this case. My bad. :blush:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

No problem. I went ahead and timg'd them just in case.

edit: New thread tag and title! Thanks a bunch. I picked the "YOU DIED" tag as a replacement for the old Xbox tag because there aren't many fitting tags for westerns and this one's red and, uh, dead. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 16, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 28: Legend of the West

In this episode, we complete all the remaining Legend of the West challenges, remind ourselves of the importance of saving one's work regularly, and help Mr. Kinnear achieve his goal of soaring through the sky like an eagle. An eagle, sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I really loved this game a lot back when it came out, but I don't remember all this padding at all. I'm looking forward to progressing the story and getting to Blackwater proper.

I've been sitting on RDR2 for a while but not played it yet. This LP has been pretty good for refreshing my memory too (and going by some of the early comments in the thread, it seems like I'll benefit from it when I get around to RDR2).