Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
What got Sara and Toval so spooked during their talk with Micht, what repelled the tank squads invading Crossbell and what erased Garrellia Fortress is all stuff that's shown on-screen in Trails to Azure. During moments like this, Falcom does like to tease folks who haven't played the Crossbell games and give a knowing wink to those who did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:eng101: The problem with pineapple isn't the acid, it's the proteases that will break down protein if not denatured through heat. So while raw pineapple is bad for baking, cooked pineapple is just fine. Inversely raw pineapple or extracts thereof are good for tenderizing meat, since you want the protein structures to be smaller rather than larger.

Annabelle's story is an adorable rollercoaster that proceeds at least through CS3.

I love Sara's naked "Really?" response to Viscount Arseid's dance proposal. For all her bluster and feigned maturity sometimes she allows the mask to slip.

As you might guess there's a pecking order for Rean's partner among fans. From top to bottom: Alisa, Laura, Emma, Fie, Sara, Millium, Towa, Crow, Jusis, Elliot, Gaius...and Machias in dead last.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NGDBSS posted:

Annabelle's story is an adorable rollercoaster that proceeds at least through CS3.

Can confirm it keeps going into CS4 too.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Can confirm it keeps going into CS4 too.
I'm still waiting for a PC release because Japan is dumb about things that aren't on consoles and I didn't want to assume.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 7, 2020

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's a little hard to judge because of completionists, but that's the exact order the Steam Achievements have for percentages of CS 1 players who got character achievements.
:thejoke: Never let it be said that the fanbase is not, in some way, vocal about its opinions.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
- "I think we're just going into final cutscene", said a minute in to what we know ends up being hour two of a nine-hour set of sessions.
- I've always seen green onion pancakes as a pretty traditional Chinese thing, and they're definitely pretty good.
- The continuing panic at 1:50 about how it's still ongoing is amazing. And 2:08. And just before the end.
- "That sounds ominous." I should have started a drinking game.

CottonWolf posted:

I am surprised that you could only dance with Crow and Emma. I’d have thought you’d have unlocked more options than that. I remember that the first time I did it I at least had Crow, Towa, Fie and Sara. (NG+ you get everyone because you can carry your relationship score over and have infinite bonding points.)

Not that surprising if you check the ranks and remember who they did bonding events with. I think of their high-bond people, Crow and Emma were the only people that they did bonding events with (didn't do Alisa, for example). Jusis was on the bike, who isn't high enough, and they spread out the event tickets.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cyouni posted:

Not that surprising if you check the ranks and remember who they did bonding events with. I think of their high-bond people, Crow and Emma were the only people that they did bonding events with (didn't do Alisa, for example). Jusis was on the bike, who isn't high enough, and they spread out the event tickets.

I think part of it is forgetting what they’ve done in their “canon” playthrough, versus the extra videos.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

93. As the Crow Flies (CS1 End)

Go finish your game in hell.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Level 1 Thief posted:

Go finish your game in hell.

Three hours five minutes, eh? Yeah, that seems about right.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
If there is one thing Falcom knows how to do, it is cliffhangers that kick you in the balls.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can go into the equipment menu on the afternoon where Rean catches Emma talking to Celine and she pretends she was using her orbphone. Celine will just kind of be floating in front of Emma's chest, and Jusis will be standing on his horse.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 9, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The show Babylon 5 was great. Babylon 4 disappeared after construction was complete, but before it was officially opened, so it was just a skeleton crew on board.
- I would have thought that the disappearance of the fortress also took out the Trans-Continental railroad, which goes right through it and across a bridge above a canyon.
- The game weirdly does seem to treat the weapons as being invisible or in hyperspace pockets until they show up. All the way back at Laura's introduction, no one seemed to see her giant sword until she made it appear.
- Laura is certainly an impressive person.
- It's not entirely clear that Crossbell has the weapon... but Garrellia was a threat to Crossbell (and the potential for a Calvard occupation of Crossbell), and rumors suggest the Imperial armuy attacked Crossbell, but were repelled, so if that is true, it seems likely that Crossbell controls the weapon.
- Yeah, Rean's high school days probably did peak with the concert.
- "Is this Rex's turning point, where he realizes he can use his skills for good, and just for horny good?" Yes it is.
- General Walter was kinda an rear end.
- Bleublanc once spent an entire game as an unassuming servant.
- It's also not yet noon, so that may be another reason Fred is not promoting boozing it up.
- Yes, it was a hint. You missed the optional chance to enter the train station. It's right after seeing Sharon but before returning to the Academy. That's why you can still wander around town instead of being forced back. It's just a small voiced scene. I was going to give a reminder about that, but you finished the game so quickly that it was too late.

- Indeed. There have been small red flags dropping, but they were questionable, and by the time the big red flags about Crow start dropping, it's October 30 and too late.
- I wasn't suspecting Crow of being C at all (I thought that C stood for Clotide), and I was right at the point in the mines where Crow called in being trapped by a cave-in, and a steam forum post in a topic talking about "Least Favorite Character" dropped some hints implying that Crow was a traitor. I hadn't considered that until that point. It wasn't entirely clear, and I did still have doubts that it was true.
- Very clever detective work. I wasn't expecting the game to actually change Crow's stuff around. I never actually noticed the mystery "Impede 2" quartz even though I unequipped all of Crow's stuff after the robot boss battle.
- I do agree with Jusis here. ("Madness. No one would stake their entire plan on such a precarious stunt.") That's a very accurate assessment, because that plan really did revolve on a lot of variables outside of Crow's control - the speed of Class VII traversing the mine. They split up at the place with the miners, and Crow would have had to really hustle to get the miners back to George, and then back before Class VII even gets halfway through a room. He'd also need to shoot down the ship and then ditch his disguise and meet up with George and anyone else without it looking suspicious.
- Claire found the sniper rifle in the mine. That was a month ago, she would have analyzed the rifle and known its capabilities.
- Good job catching Crow's moment in Garrellia where he talks about Jurai. That's one of the few times the mask slips a little. The other one being at the bonfire, where he reacts to Rean wondering if there will even be a Class VII next year. He covers that one up decently. Another cute line there is that "barring any nasty surprises, I'll be in Class VII 'til the end of the month." Leaving out the part where he is fully aware of impending nasty surprises.

- I love how fast everything happens at the end.
- The robots marching through Heimdallr actually features in the opening credits.
- The Panzer Soldats cannot fly, they're limited to the ground.
- 1:44:19 - "GOD!!!!" 1:44:50 - "There... there's no way..." "ARGH!!" :allears:
- Patrick's character arc is pretty good.
- Crow was not always around whenever something major happened, at least not in a way which stood out. C was seen outside of Celdic and in Nord but Crow wasn't. Crow was in Heimdallr, but so were Rex, Fidelio, Becky, and Hugo.

- Oh yeah, Sharon is definitely a strange one. It kinda makes sense that she's a sub given how she's someone incredibly strong who has chosen to work as a maid/housekeeper and secretary. I'm not sure the root cause, although I have thoughts.
- We already have some arts and crafts which maybe nullify arts-shielding. Jusis's Rune Blade, and Altair Cannon are examples.
- You don't just call up an Ouroboros Enforcer, so how did Irina know Sharon. And why would Sharon agree to work as a maid? I do not actually know this myself.
- The music which plays when Scarlet becomes the second Soldat fight is "Unknown Threat"
- It's great when Alisa just totally no-sells boss S-Crafts like that thanks to Angel. It's hilarious when it's a "Player loses NOW" one. If you're fast enough on the draw, you can have Alisa drop S-Crafts at that point - it won't work on Scarlet because of the armor, but there is at least one boss it does work on in CS 2.
- This has been Reactive Armor for the first , and last time.

- Yeah, Valimar's scale is off. There should not be that much room in there if the outside is the proper size.
- Crow's boss music is "The Decisive Collision".
- Wow. I had a tremendously difficult time fighting Crow on Hard difficulty, and I used my Shining Pom baits to reach level 70 first. Of course, I was using Morning Moon for defense instead of double Quingong for offense, and that was the wrong move. It doesn't help that Crow has a couple of stances which have identical appearances, but different weaknesses. Only the audio clip is the clue to which is which. On Hard, I found that I needed to be perfect and not miss any counters or else I would run out of health before Crow did. But again, I wasn't using Quingong.
- "God drat it Emma." "Fuuuuuck offffff." :allears:
My favorite quote from the Falcom thread about Cold Steel 1 was

quote:

Wonderslug posted:
Congratulations, Emma, you made it through an entire Trails game with less characterization than every other member of the main cast, most secondary characters, many generic-model NPCs, and a handful who didn't even get names. Your capacity to withhold important information and actively dodge character development is impressive! Your prize is gently caress you.
- "I think finally, Elliot will have a scene we'll enjoy." :laffo: Well, hope springs eternal!
- Definitely take a break. That game is just as long as Trails of Cold Steel 1... but with maybe a bit more obvious padding (and an even LONGER ending).

- In what order do you think you'll reunite with your classmates in CS 2?

Some fun things you said earlier:

Episode 18:
"Crow's a Gundam Pilot." Yes, actually!
"I bet Crow's the mastermind doing this to give kids candy." - You were half-right!

Episode 22:
Said as a Provincial Army soldier: "Is today the day we raid the school?"

Episode 63:
About Radio Trista: "If you try to listen at any other time of the day, all you get is 'listen to misty... listen to misty... listen to misty..."

Episode 64:
"Lechter is basically a rough draft for Crow." JFC. Yeah, right down to (Sky the Third) being a plant at a high school as a cover for more sinister activities.

Episode 70:
"Dost thou desire the power, Class VII?"

Episode 76:
"The very end of the game, we beat the last boss, and Oh my god the cat talks". - Just about!

Episode 85:
Said to Instructor Beatrix: "Nicholas was a sniping queen."

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 9, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

Hwurmp of course responsible for most of the worst posts in the thread, thank you so much for that

could I get this on a framed certificate

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Congrats on finally finishing. And glad you enjoyed it overall.

I know that a lot of people disagree on this, but IMO Cold Steel 1 is the weakest of the four, so I have high hopes as to how you’ll feel about 2 when you make a start on it.

That said, you definitely deserve a long break!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 9, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ Don't forget Lechter's nom de guerre. More like "Spare Crow" Am I right?

~Millium is smart. She put together what she needed, just too late. I think if she were given more information about her secondary mission (though, it's unknown how much the intelligence division knew) she would have actually nailed Crow.

~I only suspected Crow at the mines. Before that, I was absolutely convinced it was Cedric. But he's a goober and there's no way that little twerp could amount to anything.

~The person pressed against the glass at the end is the person you had a final bonding event with. Emma feels natural here, but if you picked, say, Laura, it'll be her.

I'm not sure who is there if you pick Crow. I would guess either Alisa (default) or whoever you were second closest to. This is a little weird if you grab, say, Laura, who is talking to you instead of facing down the soldats, which feels out of character. Yes, they all have different lines. No, for the love of god, you do not need to show them. Watch someone else's video if you're interested.

~Glad you both enjoyed this game. I love sharing it with people. I'm touched to get a shout out when you could just as rightfully drag me for sometimes hijacking your thread and maybe an earlier accidental spoiler. I think I will go through the game again after I beat 4 with random quartz on everyone, since that was fun for me.

~Your reactions to "Reviver" and "Doth thou desire the power" were all I hoped they would be.

~Patrick's growth is maybe the best in the series.

~Stabbey posted a list of several of the things you said that I thought were prescient. At least the ones I can talk about now. :unsmigghh:

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 9, 2020

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Something I've mentioned before but is especially relevant here at the end is that for all Millium is loose lipped about what her job is she's actually very good about not revealing what she's doing. She alludes vaguely to one of her reasons for being at Thors shortly after enrolling (Osborne told her to keep an eye on the old Schoolhouse), but she only reveals what her real mission is (the ID suspects C might be a Thors student) after it's too late to use that info. It's a nice bit of characterization that is purposely hidden by her normal attitude.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Veryslightlymad posted:

~The person pressed against the glass at the end is the person you had a final bonding event with. Emma feels natural here, but if you picked, say, Laura, it'll be her.

I'm not sure who is there if you pick Crow.

If you pick Crow, I seem to remember it doesn’t happen. You get extra dialogue before the fight. With Towa you get an extra scene at the school gate. Not sure about Sara or Alfin/Elise who are the only other people you could have danced with who aren’t there.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yes, they all have different lines. No, for the love of god, you do not need to show them. Watch someone else's video if you're interested.

~Your reactions to "Reviver" and "Doth thou desire the power" were all I hoped they would be.
To the first: that's not happening. Although we aren't out of videos yet...

To the second: https://twitter.com/bustrider/status/1329612459137593344

(In my defense, it's more for Grahf than for Valimar. So far.)

CottonWolf posted:

That said, you definitely deserve a long break!

Hahahaha I wish we were playing something that counted as a "break" or "good" next.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

- In what order do you think you'll reunite with your classmates in CS 2?

Emma third, Elliot and Machias first, Crow will try to kill us somewhere around #5, Jusis near the end, Laura and Alisa before Fie and Gaius

Yes my answer is a logic puzzle, what of it. Millium is the wildcard, George dies somewhere in 2, the very last we get will be Angelica as a combat character.

Edit: that wasn't edit. Thanks, new phone!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

No joke I tried pitching my tabletop group on the mech combat RPG Lancer, set during the Erebonian Civil War in an alternate CS2.

The way reflected attacks work are that the attack's damage is calculated with the targets reversed. The Spiegel here (and mechs in general) has crap for ATS while Alisa has decent ADF, so that's why it only did 1 damage to her. This will not be true for other enemies with reflect abilities, but at the same time it also won't be true for your PCs doing it. Spamming AoE reflect abilities can be a valid strategy in niche circumstances.

This last music track against Ordine shows up again in CS2 in regular form, gets sort of a remix in CS2, has that get its own remix in CS3, and probably shows up somehow in CS4 if I know how the Falcom Music Team works.

- Definitely take a break. That game is just as long as Trails of Cold Steel 1... but with maybe a bit more obvious padding (and an even LONGER ending).
Disagree, CS1 has more padding overall. Not to say CS2 doesn't have padding, but it's all concentrated in one part.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hahahaha I wish we were playing something that counted as a "break" or "good" next.
Look up Cosmic Star Heroine, it's all of 15 hours long and has nothing extraneous. It's so focused on the combat experience that while on the one hand the plot is serviceable Saturday morning cartoon material, on the other hand you can absolutely one-shot the game's superboss with enough planning.

What's a good place to ask about character writing in future games? On the one hand I want to experience the totality of CS4 let alone Hajimari without wading through spoilers, but on the other hand I am curious if a certain character was supposed to be neurodivergent or not.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
It is a bit amazing how quickly Millium can switch between dumbass and secret agent.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The screams of despair at more possible dialogue were music to my ears.

Re: AoEs, Autumn Leaf Cutter dashes through the center of the circle you set, though I'm not sure exactly how far it goes. For Flame Impact, he gets relatively close to the circle and then uses it.
Burst Drive isn't horrid to use on a person still in front of the enemy depending on their delay, but you're definitely right that it's not as useful. It does push up their turn, so it might help out on future turns as well.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it overall.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Level 1 Thief posted:

Well, uh, my original goal was end of this year for CS1. That's ... clearly not happening. I'm thinking of shooting for "before Cyberpunk" on this one

IT COUNTS.

Hello hi! Thank you so much to everyone for watching and posting, and especially for being patient with me during the rockier parts of this! The last bonus videos will probably be up sometime late next week because my god I need to look at something other than Premiere for a bit. Not sure exactly when we're gonna start recording CS2 but I'll definitely post something in here once we get moving on that.

Hwurmp posted:

"I think we're just going into final cutscene." :lol:

- "I think we're just going into final cutscene", said before the 1 minute 20 mark of a 2 hour 41 minute video. :allears:

Cyouni posted:

- "I think we're just going into final cutscene", said a minute in to what we know ends up being hour two of a nine-hour set of sessions.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~The dawning realization from you both that you're not at the end of the game yet is priceless. I held this back both to not spoil things, and frankly, because it's hilarious.

Cyouni posted:

The screams of despair at more possible dialogue were music to my ears.

I did my best to keep as many of those in as possible. We were so young and innocent back then.

- Yes, actually, you can only dance with Elise and Alfin on a NG+ by choosing "No one" from the dance menu options.

I was looking at the requirements for the dance and I actually wonder if it's there in the first run as a Rean Has No Friends fallback if you fail to meet them for anybody. You'd have to really go out of your way to make that happen though.

I think it's entirely possible for two people to be friends or rivals without harboring sexual lust for each other.

Not to start invoking the Literature Club, but I just like it when the boys kiss and am willing to exaggerate a bit to make it happen if necessary. It's not deep.

Erpy posted:

What got Sara and Toval so spooked during their talk with Micht, what repelled the tank squads invading Crossbell and what erased Garrellia Fortress is all stuff that's shown on-screen in Trails to Azure. During moments like this, Falcom does like to tease folks who haven't played the Crossbell games and give a knowing wink to those who did.

That makes sense. Hopefully we at least get the cliff's notes of what's going on with that here since it's such a big part of the ending.

Hwurmp posted:

You can go into the equipment menu on the afternoon where Rean catches Emma talking to Celine and she pretends she was using her orbphone. Celine will just kind of be floating in front of Emma's chest, and Jusis will be standing on his horse.

Holy poo poo. (Jusis seemed normal.)

- I love how fast everything happens at the end.

There's so many great moments and reveals packed in there but I think my favorite is easily Misty just suddenly breaking character and talking to us and chanting, evilly. Even knowing she's probably up to no good, it happens so suddenly and dramatically. I love it.

Episode 63:
About Radio Trista: "If you try to listen at any other time of the day, all you get is 'listen to misty... listen to misty... listen to misty..."

wait a minute what about the STICKERS

Hwurmp posted:

could I get this on a framed certificate

CottonWolf posted:

I know that a lot of people disagree on this, but IMO Cold Steel 1 is the weakest of the four, so I have high hopes as to how you’ll feel about 2 when you make a start on it.

I'm looking forward to it! Sky SC built upon FC in some really fascinating ways, so I'm very optimistic, even if some people aren't as hot on it.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm not sure who is there if you pick Crow. I would guess either Alisa (default) or whoever you were second closest to. This is a little weird if you grab, say, Laura, who is talking to you instead of facing down the soldats, which feels out of character. Yes, they all have different lines. No, for the love of god, you do not need to show them. Watch someone else's video if you're interested.

END ME SCOOB posted:

that's not happening.

Hahaha yeah no way. The common thread with what we did for the bonus videos is you can save immediately before them, at most having to zip through a story scene or three (which is very fast). An hour of cutscenes followed by 3.5 boss battles, and I think the save Stabbey sent with all the dances was on Nightmare, is NOT HAPPENING.

END ME SCOOB posted:

NGDBSS posted:

Look up Cosmic Star Heroine, it's all of 15 hours long and has nothing extraneous. It's so focused on the combat experience that while on the one hand the plot is serviceable Saturday morning cartoon material, on the other hand you can absolutely one-shot the game's superboss with enough planning.

Alas, we're already well underway, and it's a mediocre-to-bad game I've been threatening both Fletcher and myself with for years now. It's also WAY SHORTER than Trails of Cold Steel.

Cyouni posted:

Re: AoEs, Autumn Leaf Cutter dashes through the center of the circle you set, though I'm not sure exactly how far it goes. For Flame Impact, he gets relatively close to the circle and then uses it.

Definitely gonna have to poke at this a little more before we get rolling on CS2.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~Glad you both enjoyed this game. I love sharing it with people. I'm touched to get a shout out when you could just as rightfully drag me for sometimes hijacking your thread and maybe an earlier accidental spoiler. I think I will go through the game again after I beat 4 with random quartz on everyone, since that was fun for me.

If you want to go random, you could REALLY go random...

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 11, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

NGDBSS posted:

Well what do you know, I own that.

Maybe I'll do that after the other thing which I was sworn to complete in an upcoming video.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Very Important Tokyo Xanadu Tip: Buy the Square Frames accessory from the jeweler at the mall and put them on the big character with the sword more ridiculous than Laura's. That's a really good look for him.

Millium is right to not talk about her real assignment to Class VII. After all, they're all pretty big gossips. How many things have happened on field studies with only other Class VII members as witnesses which leaked out? Rean falling onto Alisa, Rean being an adopted son of a Baron, Fie being a Jaeger... all of that somehow made its way into the ears of people who weren't eyewitnesses.

Level 1 Thief posted:

I was looking at the requirements for the dance and I actually wonder if it's there in the first run as a Rean Has No Friends fallback if you fail to meet them for anybody. You'd have to really go out of your way to make that happen though.

It does seem theoretically possible to have no one meet the requirements - especially if someone skips the bonding events, but there's no reasonable way to test it out.

quote:

Not to start invoking the Literature Club, but I just like it when the boys kiss and am willing to exaggerate a bit to make it happen if necessary. It's not deep.

Sure, sure, fair enough. I was just responding to a post asking "is there anyone who disagrees [that Rean and Crow are bisexual disasters in love]", with my disagreement.

quote:

Hahaha yeah no way. The common thread with what we did for the bonus videos is you can save immediately before them, at most having to zip through a story scene or three (which is very fast). An hour of cutscenes followed by 3.5 boss battles, and I think the save Stabbey sent with all the dances was on Nightmare, is NOT HAPPENING.

Yes, I tried fast-forwarding to see how much the ending changes if you picked Crow, and even with triple speed and only talking to required characters, it took way too long to be worthwhile, and the boss battles weren't pleasant either. I failed the Ordine fight twice and gave up. Definitely something to watch later, not try and record.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If you picked Crow for the dance event, there'll be some extra dialogue during the confrontation with Ordine, before the final battle. He says something along the lines of; "Just in case you still think we're "buddies", let me give you some advice. Come at me as if you want me dead, because there's no way you're gonna win this fight if you're holding back even a little bit."

Speaking of Crow, here's an interesting red flag that's right there in the intro movie. Just after the frame where Grianos (Vita's azure bird familiar) lands on her hand, there's a brief flash of a black bird on screen, followed by a shot of C watching over Heimdallr from the rooftops. I thought the bird-shot before C was a raven, but now I'm convinced it was a crow. Because Falcom likes to troll people like that.

Autumn Leaf Cutter actually gets a second spot on the indicator in CS2 that indicates the angle at which Rean dashes through the enemy, making it a little bit easier to aim. The game's tweaked a lot of the characters' crafts anyway.

By the way, congratulations on officially finishing the game. I kinda dialed back my comments compared to the beginning, mostly because when the episodes were like 30 minutes I'd usually remember most of the stuff I wanted to comment on, but I tend to watch episodes of an hour or more in bits and pieces over the course of a few days, meaning I usually forget the nitty-gritty and I usually don't keep notes. Nevertheless, I thought this LP was absolutely fantastic. Aside from the frequently accurate speculation, there's often a lot of amusing banter between the two of you, which turns the NPC-talking segments from tedious into fun. That's a very good thing for a Trails LP.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thanks for the LP, you two are very entertaining.

My favorite running gag was your extra dialog for the girl with a rival crush on Alisa.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

- T7. Ch.7 NPC Dialogue Wrap-Up

The T stands for Tristan Townies.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Yeah, Emma knowing Vita Clotilde under that name doesn't make a lot of sense. Vita Clotilde is a famous opera singer, and the idea that "oh she just does a magic and everyone everywhere who knows who she is has their brains re-written so that they don't remember hearing that name" is a lame co-out even by the extremely generous standards of "magic did it". Surely it's more effort than assuming a different alias.
- When the villagers were fleeing from Trista, Gordon had the voiced line. They decided to re-use it for the auditorium for some reason. It's an odd choice, even if the line is the same.
- People tend to react to those members of your party who are in their clubs. I don't think Active/Support makes a difference.
- If I remember right, Hibelle actually does something cool in the next game.
- Theresia: June 15 - Talk to her at the library for her Character note. Speaking of character notes, the very last ones are obtained at this moment right before the end, from talking to Vivi and Linde.
- "Stuff your worries into your pocket, Monica!" - Nice call-back.
- Very appropriate way to finish it off.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

she actually sings under the name Villi Clotilli

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was always under the impression that "Clotilde" was a fake last name, and that's why Emma didn't recognize it, but I'm not sure where I got that from.

Also, you gotta remember Emma has literally never been outside her village until Thors. She's not likely to know many names, no matter how famous.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Clotilde being her Enforcer name would actually fit pretty well, yeah. Still way too many red flags that Emma should've noticed, but I'll allow that it's slightly less negligent.

- F7-5. Ch.7 Bonfire Wrap-Up (LP End)

School's out forever.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's a very ominous line to end the video with.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I kind of like how Rean's all like "Elise can look after herself" when Sara teases him about Patrick's crush and then he sends Patrick the mother of all stink-eyes in another scene. Later games love playing up Rean's sister complex. Cold Steel III even has a DLC-accessory that's just a comic-type text balloon floating above the equipped character's head with the words "That's my sister!". :P

Having finished the Sky games definitely raises the enjoyment of other Trails games including Cold Steel II, though there's a part very late in CS2 where the game you really want to have played at least part-way through is Zero. It's among the most infamous cases in the series of a part that's so packed with references you'll feel totally lost if you have no idea what the characters are talking about.

Anyway, congratulations on finishing the game at last. I've said this before, but your commentary and reactions are really good.

- Yeah, Emma knowing Vita Clotilde under that name doesn't make a lot of sense. Vita Clotilde is a famous opera singer, and the idea that "oh she just does a magic and everyone everywhere who knows who she is has their brains re-written so that they don't remember hearing that name" is a lame co-out even by the extremely generous standards of "magic did it". Surely it's more effort than assuming a different alias.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I was always under the impression that "Clotilde" was a fake last name, and that's why Emma didn't recognize it, but I'm not sure where I got that from.

Also, you gotta remember Emma has literally never been outside her village until Thors. She's not likely to know many names, no matter how famous.

This matter gets a very brief mention in one of the first few hours of Cold Steel II.

Celine suggests that Vita, which I think IS her real name, didn't target everyone who knew her with her magic, merely Emma and her. She kind of suggests that Vita cast a "hex" (of the Scarlet Witch type) on them which affected probability to prevent them from ever being around whenever Vita's name was mentioned. It's still kind of far out there.

- When the villagers were fleeing from Trista, Gordon had the voiced line. They decided to re-use it for the auditorium for some reason. It's an odd choice, even if the line is the same.

It's not a choice, it's a technical schnafu. Because the game frequently contains multiple variations of particular scenes, it's common for text with a reference to a particular voice file to appear multiple times. Someone most likely did a CTRL-F/Replace all for Gordon and replaced all instances of him saying that line with a reference to that voiced file, not being aware he says that line again in another scene and in another context.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 21, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rean's dance card order is the same as the full party list at the start of the Shadow Realm, plus Sara, Towa, and I Can't Think

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Rean is kinda dense, but he does tend to be at least a bit less dense when it comes to Alisa. Usually.
- Alfin is certainly tiresome when associating with Elise.
- It's funny/sad that Elliot's final scene is more about developing the character of Elliot's dad than Elliot.
- It's a nice touch that the notably less "traditionally feminine" Laura asks Rean for a dance first.
- Rean doesn't even notice Laura's crush.
- There's a simple, unexciting reason why Rean, Elliot, and Machias would be closer pals in later things, but it'll be... a while before the reason is clear.
- Sky the Third goes into what happened in North Ambria a little bit, but the short story is that it was beset by an unnatural disaster.
- No optional superboss in CS 1 NG+. There is one in CS 2, and the reward is great.
- I haven't played past the end of the demo in CS 3. I've been trying to hold off a little until the Geofront fan translations of both Zero and Azure are available.

- I was actually going to make a clear save for you on Nightmare with the Emma ending, so you could have all the bonus dialogue in CS 2... but Cold Steel crashed, for I think the very first time ever, in the Ordine fight. I took that as a sign that maybe I shouldn't bother. (The save wouldn't have affect your choice of difficulty level.)
- I did record a video which includes the train station scene, so I can post that soon-ish.
- END ME SCOOB, you're playing Tokyo Xanadu right now, right? What chapter are you in? Just curious.

Erpy posted:

This matter gets a very brief mention in one of the first few hours of Cold Steel II.

Celine suggests that Vita, which I think IS her real name, didn't target everyone who knew her with her magic, merely Emma and her. She kind of suggests that Vita cast a "hex" (of the Scarlet Witch type) on them which affected probability to prevent them from ever being around whenever Vita's name was mentioned. It's still kind of far out there.

Yeah, "far out there" is an understatement. See my comment where I said it should be easier to assume a new stage name than to REWRITE THE RULES OF REALITY.

quote:

Someone most likely did a CTRL-F/Replace all for Gordon and replaced all instances of him saying that line with a reference to that voiced file, not being aware he says that line again in another scene and in another context.

To be fair, it's still the same context both times.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 21, 2020

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

END ME SCOOB should also get through more of Tokyo Xanadu if he hasn't irrevocably stalled out. Your comments on Elliot lacking much personality or arc reminds me of another character from TXE. At least in her case she has some personality, and more importantly she deliberately doesn't have an arc. One of TXE's themes is growing up/maturity, and her entire arc is in her backstory as a way to show the audience and other PCs what a good outcome to their arcs can be.

She's also the most powerful character in the game if you don't use optional costumes, so by all means stick her in your party.

My style of playing video games is to have relatively few things but to just plow through whatever I'm currently messing with. When CS3 first dropped on PC it took me a month to clear.

- I haven't played past the end of the demo in CS 3. I've been trying to hold off a little until the Geofront fan translations of both Zero and Azure are available.
It's annoying that Falcom really wanted to make CS3 a sequel to Zero/Azure as well, but you can mostly get by through prior context or by selectively looking things up on Kiseki Wiki. There is one major character who looks established but isn't, so steer clear of spoilers for the Professor. Do you want a NG+ file for bonding points?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

- END ME SCOOB, you're playing Tokyo Xanadu right now, right? What chapter are you in? Just curious.

Chapter... 5, from memory. I've put down a lot of JRPGs this month because 12/1 launched a new project at work and my gaming has been all-casual all the time if I'm not recording on it (ie, Xenosaga).

Legally required plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

END ME SCOOB posted:

Chapter... 5, from memory. I've put down a lot of JRPGs this month because 12/1 launched a new project at work and my gaming has been all-casual all the time if I'm not recording on it (ie, Xenosaga).

Oh goodie, that's just about when the overarching plot starts getting more serious. :munch:

NGDBSS posted:

END ME SCOOB should also get through more of Tokyo Xanadu if he hasn't irrevocably stalled out. Your comments on Elliot lacking much personality or arc reminds me of another character from TXE. At least in her case she has some personality, and more importantly she deliberately doesn't have an arc. One of TXE's themes is growing up/maturity, and her entire arc is in her backstory as a way to show the audience and other PCs what a good outcome to their arcs can be.

She's also the most powerful character in the game if you don't use optional costumes, so by all means stick her in your party.

Ah, you must be speaking of the one with the weapon which has absolutely no analogue to a real-world weapon. Yes, that character has surprisingly good attacks no matter the type.

quote:

It's annoying that Falcom really wanted to make CS3 a sequel to Zero/Azure as well, but you can mostly get by through prior context or by selectively looking things up on Kiseki Wiki. There is one major character who looks established but isn't, so steer clear of spoilers for the Professor. Do you want a NG+ file for bonding points?

What made me decide to hold off was seeing a character with the same last name as a main character from Zero/Azure, and the ongoing Zero LP hadn't gotten to what the main character's deal was at that time.

Sure, I could use a NG+ savefile for later. EDIT: Wait, I think I already have one. Well, I might as well grab another 0% one.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 22, 2020