Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

cat botherer posted:

My guess is that Brazil and Indonesia, being major fossil fuel producers, have high methane outputs. Methane leakage has only begun to be taken seriously fairly recently.

Don't forget Brazil's ever expanding agriculture. The Amazon will burn on the altar of number go up.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

khwarezm posted:

Meanwhile, Jesus Christ, what in god's name happened in Mongolia? Has there been a massive fossil fuel boom there recently? I know that's a big part of the reason Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan are also so bad but I haven't heard much about it happening in Mongolia.

Livestock and coal, especially with coal reliance unchanging since forever while urbanization continuously increases. Something like 85-90% of all their energy needs are coal-provided.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think Bitcoin too. Edit in Mongolia

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

khwarezm posted:

Meanwhile, Jesus Christ, what in god's name happened in Mongolia? Has there been a massive fossil fuel boom there recently? I know that's a big part of the reason Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan are also so bad but I haven't heard much about it happening in Mongolia.

climate change has forced a lot of nomads to move into cities, mainly ulaanbaatar. they build tiny shantys (gurs) and live in terrible conditions. and as they have existed outside of mainstream economics for millenia, they have no money.

mongolia has tons of easily reachable coal that they had been exporting to china, but china stopped buying. all those nomads that moved into the capital need heat in the winter and mongolia has no better use for all that coal, so they send it to gur districts where the people there burn it in open pits in their homes for heat and cooking. it has made ulaanbaatar into a horrifyingly polluted nightmare in the winter as between burning shitloads of coal openly and regular atmospheric temperature inversions, it all gets stuck near the surface. ulaanbaatar in the winter makes beijing look pure and untouched. and the mongolian government has no money to even attempt to address any of this so it is unlikely to get un-hosed any time soon.