Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Mercury posted:

In the interest of preventing the garbage argument merry-go-round, would it help to index common misconceptions/refutations of said points in the OP (as the thread progresses, not all at once) so we can point people that way instead of derail discussions? Maybe quote the original post and refuting posts there? This post has a lot of information (which is great) but little speaking to exact queries.

I only mention this as a spitball solution because it seems like this is happening quite often in D&D threads of late, and the solution clearly can't be to punish people exhausted by pretending that extremely wrong stuff is worth discussing ad nauseam.

This has crossed my mind a bunch of times, we should have more OP resources in more threads but it takes effort that mods and OPs aren't necessarily available to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oh don't be silly. The thread's been a lot of trouble. You should close it. People can still use the existing posts as a resource if they want.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

PhazonLink posted:

am i missing the thatsthejoke?

havent ride share and gig worker apps increased cars on roads and miles driven? and amazon's delivery trucks are inefficent because they decided to be techbros and try to reinvent various logistic stuff

Maybe we could make them all EVs?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh don't be silly. The thread's been a lot of trouble.

:dafuq:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh don't be silly. The thread's been a lot of trouble. You should close it. People can still use the existing posts as a resource if they want.
CC is an important issue. This thread is usually fine, just very low traffic.

example of it being an important issue: The AQI is currently 485 where I am due to out of control wildfires.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 20, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's a bit of a catch 22 with low effort posts that are wrong because interrogating exactly what the muffin man is getting wrong here, and there's obviously a lot of it, requires a kind of questioning that will inevitably be interpreted as posting about posters. Because it would have to be, to sort out what bits of science this particular incorrect person does and does not understand.

Like. Do you understand that "it's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden stop". Is funny but it's also literally true and perfectly analogous to the difference between summer warming my house and me setting my home on fire, and the "phases" argument.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 20, 2023

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

He is making a sarcastic point about the Media Lit thread being shut down. Which needless to say is not appropriate discussion for this thread.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If this thread is going to devolve a discussion of nothing more than :hurr: climate change is fake... then maybe it's time this thread takes a break. It's not like there hasn't been a ton of discussion in the past.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
do you guys know if increased CO2 levels results in rapid algae growth?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There is a hurricane crazy storm in Southern California. Totally normal.

Can climate change denial just be a bannable offense for this thread and we can all move on?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
While climate change is one of those things that countries like Finland will be the least affected by, it also seems we just found a hereto unknown underground aquifer. And it's a big one. The biggest underground aquifer in the nordics. And it's not far inland from where I live.

Due to some interesting geological quirks which means the aquifer is very drought resistant and is continually refilled from the rainfall of a very large area that all runs into it eventually.

Feels like this will be an important discovery for dealing with climate change for us.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Bad news, all that rainwater has unsafe levels of PFAS

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

While climate change is one of those things that countries like Finland will be the least affected by, it also seems we just found a hereto unknown underground aquifer. And it's a big one. The biggest underground aquifer in the nordics. And it's not far inland from where I live.

Due to some interesting geological quirks which means the aquifer is very drought resistant and is continually refilled from the rainfall of a very large area that all runs into it eventually.

Feels like this will be an important discovery for dealing with climate change for us.

This is an interesting data point but that doesn't change the fact that the climate is still changing everywhere. Some places are already on the edge of human habitability, some will be climate refuges. But even there refuges will still be affected. A couple years ago a think tank ranked all 3200 US counties based on the severity of climate impacts and Lamoille County Vermont was supposedly the best place to be. It borders where I grew up. The assumptions were not wrong, but that didn't stop the second 100 year flood in 14 years from devastating the area.

Finland will still have more severe heat waves, floods, and droughts. It will still have more mild winters, that will mean insects that you have never seen before will now be able to survive your winters and destroy your forests. And you are highly dependent on a robust Gulf Stream and AMOC.

Nowhere is safe

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I'm in the PNW, which has long been seen as one of the best-situated places. We've had heatwaves, massive fires, smoke, drought, and other things. I don't think it's really productive to worry about exactly where you're living. It's hard to know what things will be like a decade or two out, especially on regional/local scales. Best to focus on developing good social bonds to weather whatever problems occur.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zeta Taskforce posted:

This is an interesting data point but that doesn't change the fact that the climate is still changing everywhere. Some places are already on the edge of human habitability, some will be climate refuges. But even there refuges will still be affected. A couple years ago a think tank ranked all 3200 US counties based on the severity of climate impacts and Lamoille County Vermont was supposedly the best place to be. It borders where I grew up. The assumptions were not wrong, but that didn't stop the second 100 year flood in 14 years from devastating the area.

Finland will still have more severe heat waves, floods, and droughts. It will still have more mild winters, that will mean insects that you have never seen before will now be able to survive your winters and destroy your forests. And you are highly dependent on a robust Gulf Stream and AMOC.

Nowhere is safe

The Gulf Stream collapsing will probably clear all those insects right up, though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I like to equate the gently caress-you-got-mine thinking of “well my region will ride it out so I shouldn’t worry” to the same people who think a personal bunker would be the answer to anything: sure it may make you feel better but just wait until other people find out come for your resources or perceived safety.

Of course that line of thinking when extrapolated back towards climate change leads right into blame-migrants style politics that allows the rich to further cement control via fascists so yay?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Harold Fjord posted:

Bad news, all that rainwater has unsafe levels of PFAS

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jeeves posted:

I like to equate the gently caress-you-got-mine thinking of “well my region will ride it out so I shouldn’t worry” to the same people who think a personal bunker would be the answer to anything: sure it may make you feel better but just wait until other people find out come for your resources or perceived safety.

Of course that line of thinking when extrapolated back towards climate change leads right into blame-migrants style politics that allows the rich to further cement control via fascists so yay?

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Nowhere is safe

Wasn't saying we where safe. Everything will get worse. But that's why I'm glad we at least got this aquifer.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

jeeves posted:

If it didn't lead down a path of Fascism, they'd manufacture consent until it did.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Wasn't saying we where safe. Everything will get worse. But that's why I'm glad we at least got this aquifer.

Russia: You mean OUR aquifer.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/shellenberger/status/1695462826436153817
I can't express enough how much I hate this loving worm of a man, first we had right wingers disingenuously concerned about birds hitting wind turbines, now they've upgraded to whales.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol “which I executive produced, “

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they didnt care about whales for decades why now?

(because their beachside property prices might not go up up up to inf, and their hydrocarbon masters might keep making more.)

also i've noticed that some places have now started using the super category of hydrocarbons.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
The fact that even the ny post used 'proves' in quotes in its headline makes me somewhat doubt this.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If we're going to talk about terrible climate people Shellenberger is nuts and not taken that seriously along with Bjorn Lomborg. Alex Epstein however has been regularly invited to Congress.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Things are proceeding apace in Antarctica.

BBC posted:

A catastrophic die-off of emperor penguin chicks has been observed in the Antarctic, with up to 10,000 young birds estimated to have been killed.

The sea-ice underneath the chicks melted and broke apart before they could develop the waterproof feathers needed to swim in the ocean.

The birds most likely drowned or froze to death.

The event, in late 2022, occurred in the west of the continent in an area fronting on to the Bellingshausen Sea.

It was recorded by satellites.

Dr Peter Fretwell, from the British Antarctic Survey (BAS), said the wipeout was a harbinger of things to come.

More than 90% of emperor penguin colonies are predicted to be all but extinct by the end of the century, as the continent's seasonal sea-ice withers in an ever-warming world.

"Emperors depend on sea-ice for their breeding cycle; it's the stable platform they use to bring up their young. But if that ice is not as extensive as it should be or breaks up faster, these birds are in trouble," he told BBC News.

"There is hope: we can cut our carbon emissions that are causing the warming. But if we don't we will drive these iconic, beautiful birds to the verge of extinction."

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If we're going to talk about terrible climate people Shellenberger is nuts and not taken that seriously along with Bjorn Lomborg. Alex Epstein however has been regularly invited to Congress.

https://twitter.com/shellenberger/status/1695821301691318418
I'd like to say he doesn't matter but his career now is essentially making threads like this constantly, getting tens of thousands of likes and retweets and Elon Musk commenting 'Concerning!' before appearing on Joe Rogan to talk about how homeless people in San Francisco need to be exterminated, the US government is hiding the aliens and there's a vast conspiracy lying to the public that Global Warming is real and has effects on things.

Remember, this man started out as a 'reasonable environmentalist who had some concerns with the extreme parts of the movement'.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Another study of carbon offset project effectiveness, unsurprisingly they don't do much:

quote:

But a systematic evaluation of 26 carbon offset projects that claim to slow the rate of potential deforestation in six countries on three continents found that the vast majority of projects did not actually slow deforestation, and those that did were significantly less effective than they claimed
The study looked at 26 projects in six countries: Cambodia, Colombia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Peru, Tanzania, and Zambia. Researchers found that only eight of the 26 projects selling offsets showed any evidence of reducing deforestation, and even those that did failed to achieve the extent of reductions that the projects claimed.

Only 18 of the 26 projects had sufficient publicly available information to determine the number of offsets they were projected to produce. From project implementation until 2020, those 18 projects were expected to generate up to 89 million carbon offsets to be sold in the global carbon market. But researchers estimate that only 5.4 million of the 89 million, or 6.1 percent, would be associated with actual carbon emission reductions.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/08/study-carbon-offsets-arent-doing-their-job-overstate-impact/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Owling Howl posted:

Things are proceeding apace in Antarctica.

Climate Change: Death March of the Penguins

khwarezm posted:

I'd like to say he doesn't matter but his career now is essentially making threads like this constantly, getting tens of thousands of likes and retweets and Elon Musk commenting 'Concerning!' before appearing on Joe Rogan to talk about how homeless people in San Francisco need to be exterminated...

Why exterminate the homeless when you could, I dunno, concentrate them in "camps" and force them to contribute to the betterment of our society, like the [REDACTED] do with the [REDACTED] minority in the [REDACTED] province of [REDACTED]! We'd be much better stewards of the downtrodden and unfortunate than they are, and they'd have JOBS at long last! Everyone wins! :shepface:

(I seriously think this is coming in our lifetimes because it's evil both sides of the political spectrum at the policymaking level can get behind if they can "sell/spin" it right :sigh:)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 28, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I'd like to say he doesn't matter but his career now is essentially making threads like this constantly, getting tens of thousands of likes and retweets and Elon Musk commenting 'Concerning!' before appearing on Joe Rogan to talk about how homeless people in San Francisco need to be exterminated, the US government is hiding the aliens and there's a vast conspiracy lying to the public that Global Warming is real and has effects on things.

Remember, this man started out as a 'reasonable environmentalist who had some concerns with the extreme parts of the movement'.

He's gone from being somewhat talented scientist with a decent career to pushing out terrible conclusions online that are factually wrong then going on crank's alt-right radio show that's slowly fading into obscurity.

The dude sucks but he has no real impact.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 28, 2023

Svensken
May 29, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Climate Change: Death March of the Penguins

Why exterminate the homeless when you could, I dunno, concentrate them in "camps" and force them to contribute to the betterment of our society, like the [REDACTED] do with the [REDACTED] minority in the [REDACTED] province of [REDACTED]! We'd be much better stewards of the downtrodden and unfortunate than they are, and they'd have JOBS at long last! Everyone wins! :shepface:

(I seriously think this is coming in our lifetimes because it's evil both sides of the political spectrum at the policymaking level can get behind if they can "sell/spin" it right :sigh:)

This is already being implemented in Oregon:

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/11/17/portland-oregon-camping-ban-housing-homeless-homelessness-shelters/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Meanwhile in Florida:

quote:

“You've got waters that are warm and there's not really going to be much to slow it down,” DeSantis said. “We can hope for the best but I believe we should prepare for the worst.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/...the%20worst.%94

So Ron, why are the waters so warm? Historically warm in fact.

Yeah the same guy:

quote:

DeSantis’s Florida Approves Climate-Denial Videos in Schools

Florida’s Department of Education has approved classroom use of videos that spout climate disinformation and distort climate science

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/desantiss-florida-approves-climate-denial-videos-in-schools/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Guus Berkhout is at it again ...

1,600 scientists, including two Nobel laureates, declare climate ’emergency’ a myth

More about that here:

https://theclimatetrail.substack.com/p/guus-berkhout-is-at-it-again

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

Guus Berkhout is at it again ...

1,600 scientists, including two Nobel laureates, declare climate ’emergency’ a myth

More about that here:

https://theclimatetrail.substack.com/p/guus-berkhout-is-at-it-again

Are any of those scientists climatologists

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

Are any of those scientists climatologists

I did some random lookups and didn't find any climate scientists. I profile the two Nobel Laureates that were touted.

quote:

The two “Nobel Laureates” listed in this declaration are:

Ivar Giaever: “the “measured” average temperature increase in 100 years or so, is 0.8 Kelvin.”

Well, in fact the temperature increase in the last 100 years is over 1ºC and much of that has happened in the last 20 years.

John Francis Clauser : In May 2023, Clauser joined the board of the CO2 Coalition, a climate change denial organization.

I did find a lot of people (besides those two) in the oil industry and/or on conservative think tanks.

What a Co-Inky-Dink!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

VideoGameVet posted:

I did some random lookups and didn't find any climate scientists. I profile the two Nobel Laureates that were touted.

I did find a lot of people (besides those two) in the oil industry and/or on conservative think tanks.

What a Co-Inky-Dink!

Looks like those “Nobel prize laureates” were both has-been physicists who peaked in the 1970s. It’s a great example of the need for folks to filter their information sources. Garbage people don’t need to be individually rebutted, they need to be ignored.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

VideoGameVet posted:

I did some random lookups and didn't find any climate scientists.

Ah, but clearly climate scientists cannot be trusted because they're in on the conspiracy. What better evidence than the fact that they've been warning us about this from beginning?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Climate scientists gotta keep that grant money coming in to fund their lavish lifestyles. All those postdocs out there going to coke and hooker parties in Dubai, disgusting.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

What a Co-Inky-Dink!

Clauser jumping on that ship is very disappointing. Dude literally proved Einstein wrong experimentally, which is one heck of a claim to fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Heard of a new thing on the radio. Apparently framing techniques are being used to greatly expand where it’s possible to do geothermal.

Times has an article on it: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/28/climate/geothermal-energy-projects.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare