Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

As the air quality gets progressively shittier at sea level, it wouldn't surprise me if higher-altitude resorts don't start charging a "clean air fee" to go along with destination/resort fees.

And, of course, staff will have said fees deducted from their paychecks, because No Free Clean Air For Proles. :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Celexi posted:

just drink crude oil, it has water right?
I’ll only drink light sweet crude, none of that oil sand garbage.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
first person in us arrested for smuggling greenhouse gasses

quote:

The unusual contraband is sold on Craigslist and Facebook for hundreds of dollars: canisters of a banned refrigerant, for use in outdated refrigerators and air-conditioners, that is also a potent planet-warming gas.

On Monday, a California man became the first in the nation to be arrested and charged with smuggling the powerful gases into the United States, a felony offense, according to the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California.

Michael Hart, 58, of San Diego, is accused of buying coolants in Mexico and smuggling them over the border in his vehicle, concealing the canisters under a tarp and tools. Mr. Hart then posted the refrigerants for sale on OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace and other sites, and sold them for a profit, federal agents say.

Mr. Hart pleaded not guilty. He faces charges of conspiracy, importation contrary to law and sale of merchandise imported contrary to law. Attempts to reach lawyers for Mr. Hart were unsuccessful.

“This is the first time the Department of Justice is prosecuting someone for illegally importing greenhouse gases, and it will not be the last,” Tara McGrath, a U.S. attorney, said in a statement. “We are using every means possible to protect our planet from the harm caused by toxic pollutants, including bringing criminal charges.”

The refrigerant gases in question, called hydrofluorocarbons, or HFCs, came into use in the 1990s to replace a different kind of coolant that was depleting the ozone layer, the part of the earth’s atmosphere that protects life from harmful portions of solar radiation. But scientists found that HFCs can warm the planet hundreds or even thousands of times as much as carbon dioxide, driving climate change.

Nations agreed in 2016 to start phasing out HFCs, and, since 2020, the United States has banned imports of the refrigerant without authorization. It is also phasing out domestic HFC production.

But environmental regulators and investigators have for years warned of an illicit global trade in HFCs, used to keep older refrigeration and air-conditioning systems running. They are also used in building foam insulation, fire-extinguishing systems and aerosols.

In 2019 and 2020, the authorities in the European Union, which began to phase out HFCs nearly a decade ago, recovered more than 250 tons of illicit HFCs in nearly 600 seizures across 24 countries.

In the United States, ads abound offering canisters of HFC refrigerants, as well as the older type of coolant, hydrochlorofluorocarbons, or HCFCs.

“Partial 10 lb canister of R22 refrigerant,” read one recent ad placed on Craigslist in Severna Park, Maryland, referring to a coolant also known as HCFC-22, once a commonly used refrigerant in residential and commercial air-conditioning that is now heavily restricted. “$200 cash only.”

Mr. Hart’s indictment alleged that he also imported HCFC-22. Most of the world agreed to phase out the use of HCFCs in a landmark 1987 agreement.

Conspiracy carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The other two counts Mr. Hart faces carry a maximum penalty of twenty years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

David M. Uhlmann, head of enforcement at the Environmental Protection Agency, said in a statement that the illegal smuggling of these gases “undermines international efforts to combat climate change.”

“Anyone who seeks to profit from illegal actions that worsen climate change must be held accountable,” he said.

a drop in the bucket, but it offers a glimmer of hope for the dream of un one world government hunter killer drones swooping down and vaporizing scum who use incandescent light bulbs

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 6, 2024

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

a quiet place, except the aliens are attracted to light from incandescent light bulbs

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

first person in us arrested for smuggling greenhouse gasses

a drop in the bucket, but it offers a glimmer of hope for the dream of un one world government hunter killer drones swooping down and vaporizing scum who use incandescent light bulbs

Counterfeit refrigerant and refrigerant snuggling is a pretty big deal.

Kids call it “bomb reefers”

https://ozone.unep.org/system/files/documents/Issue_Paper_UNEP_ROAP_May_2012.pdf

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Adam Conover has a good interview with a data researcher talking about climate change pessimism. She has a book out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP3L1bmwxjQ

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
oh word

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What does one even do with a canister of cfcs?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Boris Galerkin posted:

own the libs

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sell them to international shipping companies with reefer equipment that still uses them.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
"Climate change isn't the end of the world", says woman who is lucky enough not to have died due to climate change.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The point is valid. The world isn't going to end, it's just going to get very poo poo for a lot of people.

Some people act like if we can't prevent 2c then no point doing anything, it's a very counter productive form of doomarism that just helps accelerate the problem.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 28, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mega Comrade posted:

The point is valid. The world isn't going to end, it's just going to get very poo poo for a lot of people.

Some people act like if we can't prevent 2c then no point doing anything, it's a very counter productive form of doomarism that just helps accelerate the problem.
I watched maybe 2/3rds of the interview so I maybe she changes course somewhere but my impression of her position was that we've managed to make some progress despite doing the absolute minimum, and so we can do much better. We shouldn't give up because it's too late/impossible.

Speaking of doomerism though, there's a new Climate Town video on natural gas and how the leakages are loving us. It's not a new discovery and I've been aware of it, but it's a good summary of the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2oL4SFwkkw

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Climate town I don't think has ever covered something I wasn't at least somewhat informed on but the format is excellent for sharing.
None of my friends want to read scientific studies but they will watch a 30 minute video with jokes in it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Nobody is saying "give up," but most all anti-"doomer" stuff I see is concern-trolling when people call out how *bad* this problem is, and how little has been done about it. We are very much on a trajectory towards near-total collapse of the biosphere and our advanced industrial civilization. That's not doomerism, that's reality. There is hope, but it takes far more drastic action than we have done or is in the pipeline. It doesn't benefit the cause to minimize the problem.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 28, 2024

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mega Comrade posted:

2.5C is widely regarded as the "hard limit" basically. At that point, the climate breaks down catastrophically and we all get hosed.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/26/current-emissions-pledges-will-lead-to-catastrophic-climate-breakdown-says-un

Johan Rockström, one of the world's leading climate scientists, puts it this way:

“A 2.5°C global mean surface temperature rise is a disaster. It’s something that humanity has absolutely no evidence that we can cope with. There would be a 10-metre sea level rise. There would be a collapse of all the big biomes of planet Earth – the rainforest, many of the temperate forests, abrupt thawing of permafrost, and the complete collapse of marine biology. Over 1/3rd of the planet around the equatorial regions will be unhabitable because you will pass the threshold of health, which is around 30°C. It’s only some parts of the Sahara Desert today that has that kind of average temperature.”

We've breached 1.5C this year - whether temporarily or permanently remains to be seen - so we're well on our way to this 2.5C threshold.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Some people are definitely saying "give up", mostly in a form to allow the individual person to not have to take on even the slightest of inconveniences to themselves for the betterment of the environment. Usually in the form of some larger thing they can't effect making up a larger percentage of the causes.

ie
"Well what's the point in me changing my diet/car/lifestyle when industry makes up 20%, we are still doomed"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mega Comrade posted:

Some people are definitely saying "give up", mostly in a form to allow the individual person to not have to take on even the slightest of inconveniences to themselves for the betterment of the environment. Usually in the form of some larger thing they can't effect making up a larger percentage of the causes.

ie
"Well what's the point in me changing my diet/car/lifestyle when industry makes up 20%, we are still doomed"

Are those "some people" in the thread with us right now?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It seems like thanks to COVID almost every single person older than myself that personally know if (I'm early 40s) have stopped caring about climate change all together because the plague inconvenienced them enough that they can't be bothered to make any other changes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mega Comrade posted:

ie

It is more accurate to say that there is no point in changing their lifestyle when 90% of the people around them are unwilling to do the same. Without legislative action to curtail behaviors on a societal level, individual choices are in fact literally meaningless.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

It is more accurate to say that there is no point in changing their lifestyle when 90% of the people around them are unwilling to do the same. Without legislative action to curtail behaviors on a societal level, individual choices are in fact literally meaningless.

The few tiny postive changes we have made have all been down to individual choices.

We can argue how useful EVs are but their surge in popularity wasn't from the government seeking it but from public demand.
Same with meat free alternative foods.

Saying it's meaningless is just false and a form of doomarism.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Are those "some people" in the thread with us right now?

I'm willing to bet there is a large number of people in this thread who have never once written to their government representative. Despite probably knowing how very small organised groups like the NRA hold huge power in government by just doing that.

The idea that individual actions are meaningless just causes more inaction.

There is no collective action without individual action.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 28, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cat botherer posted:

Nobody is saying "give up," but most all anti-"doomer" stuff I see is concern-trolling when people call out how *bad* this problem is, and how little has been done about it. We are very much on a trajectory towards near-total collapse of the biosphere and our advanced industrial civilization. That's not doomerism, that's reality. There is hope, but it takes far more drastic action than we have done or is in the pipeline. It doesn't benefit the cause to minimize the problem.

The interviewee isn't doing any of that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mega Comrade posted:

The few tiny postive changes we have made have all been down to individual choices.

We can argue how useful EVs are but their surge in popularity wasn't from the government seeking it but from public demand.
Same with meat free alternative foods.

Saying it's meaningless is just false and a form of doomarism.

How do you think those things became popular? Do you think a large number of people just woke up one day and said "hell yeah I'm gonna save the environment with my own personal choices?" No, they were driven by advertising and government actually has played a huge role because there are laws targeting the elimination of ICE vehicles as well as substantial government subsidies for car companies to do so. Car companies are getting ahead of the curve by providing more electric vehicle options and attempting to grab market share in the EV industry before it's too late and they're left behind.

That also ignores that bigger and less efficient vehicles also seem to be having a surge in popularity which suggests that yes, more government intervention is needed to push those people into choosing EVs of simply stop giving them the option with more regulation.

Wrt meat alternatives, people have been making the choice to go vegan for all kinds of reasons, not simply environmental ones. Animal cruelty and personal health are also major considerations for that market. These things are adjacent to seeing more and more options for "cruelty free" products and free range eggs and what have you

e: and this is not even touching the point that neither of those things you mentioned are directly impacting the quality of people's lives. Part of the reason these "individual choices" are growing in popularity is that the development of them has advanced to the point where adopting an EV or eating plant based meat substitutes is not impacting their quality of life or inconveniencing them in any way. When things are needed that will impact quality of life or change status quo, you aren't going to see much individual adoption and change will need to be forced from the top down with legislation and regulation.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 28, 2024

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm willing to bet there is a large number of people in this thread who have never once written to their government representative.

This is incredibly patronizing. "Things aren't getting better so I can only assume my fellow goons are not voting hard enough" is not the amazing slam dunk you think it is.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

This is incredibly patronizing. "Things aren't getting better so I can only assume my fellow goons are not voting hard enough" is not the amazing slam dunk you think it is.

Statically most peoples only interaction with democracy is voting once every 4 years, and even then it's what? 60-65%. The people who do more is probably tiny.
So unless goons are some sort of massive outlier then most of them have never contacted their representative.

Yet we see organised groups that do do that hold huge power. Why is raising that point patronising?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm willing to bet there is a large number of people in this thread who have never once written to their government representative. Despite probably knowing how very small organised groups like the NRA hold huge power in government by just doing that.

Not to kick a guy while he's buried under a well-earned dogpile, but are you really asserting that the NRA's successes are due to their letter writing? Volume of stamps consumed is the most salient difference between them and...uh, let's say the Sierra Club, I guess?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The NRA hold power far in excess of their spending. Which I think is somewhat down to their increadibly efficient grassroot efforts.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mega Comrade posted:

Statically most peoples only interaction with democracy is voting once every 4 years, and even then it's what? 60-65%. The people who do more is probably tiny.
So unless goons are some sort of massive outlier then most of them have never contacted their representative.

Yet we see organised groups that do do that hold huge power. Why is raising that point patronising?

You're making bad faith assertions about posters in a thread specifically geared towards this issue. My good faith stance would be to assume they are MORE engaged than the average with respect to climate change.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

The NRA hold power far in excess of their spending. Which I think is somewhat down to their increadibly efficient grassroot efforts.

I don't think I would claim that their success is 100% down to the dollar amount they spend on lobbying, but I also don't really see how that chart is supposed to support your point. Are you suggesting that if events brought the interests of the NRA into direct conflict with the interests of Exxon Mobil, it's the NRA who would prevail in that conflict? That's not the way I would place my bets, personally, but I don't know of any real test cases.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Looking at the direct cash spent on lobbying isn't the whole picture. The gun industry spends a lot on political and political adjacent advertising.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Nice to see a well-researched post!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

You're making bad faith assertions about posters in a thread specifically geared towards this issue. My good faith stance would be to assume they are MORE engaged than the average with respect to climate change.

You're probably right and its my own breed of doomerism over the inaction of society getting the better of me.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Mega Comrade posted:

The idea that individual actions are meaningless just causes more inaction.

There is no collective action without individual action.

VOTE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
What if the answer requires some sort of fatalism?

I'll admit I typically enjoy Adam Conover. His whole thing AFAIK is "guess what? common knowledge and status quo is bullshit orchestrated by capital/industry, sometimes with government collaboration."

His body language through the interview told a story different than a text transcript would.

It was a great example. It highlighted something. The stuff that woman said was somebody working within what we have to address this.

And it came across laughable.

This is dead, and despite us continuing and relying on it, it should be dead. Most of her solutions seemed to land as dead with the host as they did with the audience, despite "thats great I love it, next!"

I do think there's something to be said for not giving up. Only fighting when you know you'll win is what bullies do. But we have to adjust what fighting looks like.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

The interviewee isn't doing any of that.
I stand corrected. It's a long video and I didn't have time to watch it all. However, when I hear people talking about "doomers," what I describe in my previous post usually matches up pretty well.

Here's my more nuanced view. Without hope, it's stupid to worry about climate change. Fortunately, there is hope. It's an objective fact that if we decarbonize and more generally work towards un-loving the environment (or at least not accelerate the loving-up rate), we can avoid the worst effects of climate change and general biosphere collapse (rising temperature itself is far from the only critical threat we're facing). Nonetheless, humanity has not yet taken actions that could credibly could avoid this dreadful outcome. It's the Platonic ideal of the tragedy of the commons - occurring at individual, group, local, and national levels.

From that, what should we do? Noble lies tend to backfire. I think it's better to make the message the actual unvarnished truth. Acting like our current token half-measures are anywhere near sufficient is false hope, and does not encourage the action that needs to be done. There's hope, but it absolutely relies on entirely remaking our system of production and consumption. This is fundamentally impossible in our current political system. It's a political-economic problem, requiring a political-economic solution (gay communism).

The Overton window needs to be shifted so that people support radical action. I think this is less impossible than it sounds. Housing shortages, income inequality, enshittification, etc., are already making people disaffected with the current late capitalist system. Therein lies a massive potential for synergy. Things like affordable dense housing, public transit, more greenspace, sustainable agriculture, and shorter workweeks all would go a long way themselves towards mitigating biosphere collapse. They are also things that would make people's lives better. More free time and less social atomization would allow people to find joy through pro-social pursuits, as opposed to wealth accumulation and fetishization of commodities. Ultimately, this could lead to significant second-order effects on climate change.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 29, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

https://x.com/LeonSimons8/status/1775363939192172779?s=20

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I was reading this article and was very surprised to find out that the EU's per-capita GHG emissions currently seem to be lower than Brazil and Indonesia?

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/05/17/fact-check-is-europe-the-only-part-of-the-world-that-has-reduced-its-greenhouse-gas-emissi

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

khwarezm posted:

I was reading this article and was very surprised to find out that the EU's per-capita GHG emissions currently seem to be lower than Brazil and Indonesia?

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/05/17/fact-check-is-europe-the-only-part-of-the-world-that-has-reduced-its-greenhouse-gas-emissi
My guess is that Brazil and Indonesia, being major fossil fuel producers, have high methane outputs. Methane leakage has only begun to be taken seriously fairly recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

cat botherer posted:

My guess is that Brazil and Indonesia, being major fossil fuel producers, have high methane outputs. Methane leakage has only begun to be taken seriously fairly recently.

Seems to be it looking at some of the data I can find:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_greenhouse_gas_emissions]
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/per-capita-ghg-emissions

Europe broadly has shifted to the middle of the pack on a worldwide scale, with the worst polluter being Ireland (god I am so loving embarrassed) where I think a lot of that comes from our over-reliance on agriculture and particularly cattle, and just generally lovely, inefficient infrastructure. Farmers here are too powerful and extremely resistant to policies trying to make a dent on our emissions.

I'm always surprised by how well southern Europe does by these measures, as well as France and Britain, I suppose those nuclear plants helped a lot for the former.

Meanwhile, Jesus Christ, what in god's name happened in Mongolia? Has there been a massive fossil fuel boom there recently? I know that's a big part of the reason Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan are also so bad but I haven't heard much about it happening in Mongolia.