Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i have an airport express NiB waiting for my older wall-wart style express to die

rip to the best home networking products, gently caress you tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

long cat6, op

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the usb printer / disk mounting implementation was the fuckin best. u can use a usb hub with it even

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the usb printer / disk mounting implementation was the fuckin best. u can use a usb hub with it even

oh poo poo

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
thought of kilograms and died

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

presdidet bepis did 802.11

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Skim Milk posted:

presdidet bepis did 802.11

works cited:

creationist believer posted:

president beep did 802.11

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

not my prasiden

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i dont understand why this made me laugh hysterically

pram
Jun 10, 2001

powerful

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i want a girl with a short phone and a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong airport

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the airport team was disbanded years ago.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Apple sells several devices that all need internet access, and they won't sell a convenient, simple thing to connect them

courage

I have ubiquiti stuff and it's solid but I also have no idea how to modify the default configure without breaking everything

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

velop is good and cool, i wish it had more ethernet ports and a usb, but the Just Works quotient is very high. the only (extremely) dumb thing is forcing you to create an account with their online remote app system thing to manage the routers

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mesh wifi for your home is a dumb idea unless you live in a mansion which you shouldn't

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
timecapsule was good, but airport firmware was objectively trash for assholes, as was requiring a specific version of the airport app to janitor your rooter instead of making a web interface like everyone ever

also, everyone just uses an isp supplied cpe nowadays and if you don't it's because you're a greybeard weirdo and why on earth would apple cater to you?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah let me pay to rent some pos router lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

airtunes on the airport express was awesome, it even had optical output and supports lossless audio

sure you can do the same thing with the appletv but the express had a beautiful simplicity

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

the airport team was disbanded years ago.

why. did it not make money. or were they bored and they wanted to work on something else

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah let me pay to rent some pos router lol

you're paying to rent it either way unless you're using some snowflake isp that doesn't offer cpe or makes you buy a modem from them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

timecapsule was good, but airport firmware was objectively trash for assholes, as was requiring a specific version of the airport app to janitor your rooter instead of making a web interface like everyone ever
you could tell they were on their way out the door when the new app was simplified to poo poo, kinda like disk utility post-mavericks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbf it makes sense in an apple kind of way. it's meant to be an appliance, there's no need to be dicking around with any settings or anything beyond the bare bones to make the internet go

now that every isp just hands you a home router with wifi there's no reason for the airport to exist, except possibly for time capsule, but you should have everything synced to icloud anyway so who needs local backups?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

last two AEBS iterations had ridiculously overpowered 1.5 GHz dual core Broadcom CPUs and tons of RAM, probably to meet the 50 client limit.

it's also a 4 port gigabit Ethernet hub and as others have said you can hang a USB 2 hub off of it and get a shared disk and printer connection if you wanted.

it has 3 MIMO antennas and with some Macs goes up to 1.3 Gbps (best I usually see is 1.0)

I bought a refurbished unit for 129 that's never given me so much as a hiccup three years straight and I got another on close out at MicroCenter for $80 as backup.

will probably get something different once Apple makes something with 802.11x, but to date.. they haven't

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

this reminds me that i need to cancel xfinity and get rcn so that i can pay less and not have to rent a stupid modem

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

why. did it not make money. or were they bored and they wanted to work on something else

I don’t know anything about sales. it withered away due to lack of executive attention. they didn’t have a real product plan for it.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pollyanna posted:

this reminds me that i need to cancel xfinity and get rcn so that i can pay less and not have to rent a stupid modem

you don't have to rent a modem with xfinity

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Apple sells several devices that all need internet access, and they won't sell a convenient, simple thing to connect them

courage

I have ubiquiti stuff and it's solid but I also have no idea how to modify the default configure without breaking everything

ubiquity is good quality but horribly non friendly to normies. regret getting it for someone else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tbf it makes sense in an apple kind of way. it's meant to be an appliance, there's no need to be dicking around with any settings or anything beyond the bare bones to make the internet go

now that every isp just hands you a home router with wifi there's no reason for the airport to exist, except possibly for time capsule, but you should have everything synced to icloud anyway so who needs local backups?

when reading reviews for deciding to get a ubiquiti router (none of which told me that it needed a seperate managing device) nothing they tested went as fast as the airport routers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. ubiquiti is babbytown frollics for admin. you install their mongo db abomination on a random PC and configure them once with a little guide that holds your had through each step. the APs are solid though, mostly, unless you have one of the firmware revisions that isn't.

get yourself a mikrotik my man. now there's a combination of performance, reliability, and user hostility you don't see much these days.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I got really mad when I spent all that money on an aiport extreme and then it decided to just start losing packets and crashing itself all the time after running for a few months- quality my rear end!

asus powerline ethernet 4 lyfe

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the last thing I want is to janitor my home networking equipment. that’s why I liked the airports.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and that's why airport died. it's just one more thing to set up instead of "the box my internet company gave me"

Pryor on Fire posted:

I got really mad when I spent all that money on an aiport extreme and then it decided to just start losing packets and crashing itself all the time after running for a few months- quality my rear end!

also this is a recurring issue with the timecapsule and having to reboot it every couple of months when poo poo starts getting wiggy online is just part of the deal

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you can control ubiquiti stuff with an iOS app now. there's also an option for single-ap mode so you don't have to deal with all the unnecessary remote management bits

the uptime on my little erX is always from whenever the last time I lost power. it's a neat little box that I do not understand the workings of and that's fine with me

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got a ubiquiti ap and set it up and don't bother with it anymore and it works great. the most janitoring i do on my router is updating firmware now and then

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
another vote here for ubiquiti gear.

setup was a one time thing 6 months ago. If I'm bored I can check/update the firmware using the iOS app

very needs suiting

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

get yourself a mikrotik my man. now there's a combination of performance, reliability, and user hostility you don't see much these days.

they even have an access point management thing which sounds neat but i can't figure out how to set up from the manual so i never tried

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you can control ubiquiti stuff with an iOS app now. there's also an option for single-ap mode so you don't have to deal with all the unnecessary remote management bits

the uptime on my little erX is always from whenever the last time I lost power. it's a neat little box that I do not understand the workings of and that's fine with me

I had to get the ubiquiti coz the isp router didn’t penetrate enough of the house

the ubiquiti one is OK but all the cool features I got it for are only available if you do the hardcore mantienance angle. single ap mode also disables poo poo like multiple ssids etc. wanted to be able to have one ssid for work but coz family lives there also have one for kids u could turn off or on etc.. turns out doing that kind of thing requires having an entire new device just for managing it? even if you have one ap. bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the controller only needs to run if you want to make changes or grab statistics (or run a captive portal). so just set it up once on your PC and then never launch it again

• Locked thread