Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Stumbled upon this AV CLUB article

https://www.avclub.com/who-s-your-favorite-coen-brothers-character-1830439153

And it really got me to realize just how many memorable, quotable and indelible characters the Coen Brothers have given us over the years and how much that contributes to making their films so fun and easy to re-watch. I had a hard time narrowing mine down to just three (Walter from Lebowski, Anton Chigurh from No Country and Glen from Raising Arizona) but those are almost too obvious and too easy plus I had to omit so many others I love.

Even minor characters like Chet from Barton Fink, the snow shoveler and Mike from Fargo, and Sam Elliott's cowboy and the strange artist guy in Maude's loft from Lebowski leave their mark and make you remember them.

With the release of their new film on Netflix I figured I'd start a Coen Brother's thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

snergle posted:

Coen brothers are over rated. they are good writers and have made great movies but they have as many turds as they do good movies. Just like spielberg.

Get a load of this wrongness. If anything, they're underrated. At least based on something like commercial success. I find even their weakest films have a lot to offer.

Obligatory "well...that's just like...your opinion, man"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

a kitten posted:

It's Ed because Holly Hunter is so good.

I :cry: love :cry: him :cry: so :cry: much :cry:

*somber*

"I know ya' do, honey"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Everyone should check out "The Ballad of Buster Skruggs". It's a little unevenand slow in spots but has all the cinematography, acting, symbolism, charaterization and dialogue that Coen fans like. It was good.

I keep coming up with more and more supporting/one scene characters that seem to pepper all of their films.

- The taxi cab driver who LOVES The Eagles

- Old man in the bank in Arizona who doesn't know whether to freeze or get down on the ground. Seeing as how, iffen he drops, he's a gonna be in motion. And if he freezes, he can't rightly get down on the ground.

- The hooker in Fargo who gives the helpful description that Buscemi is "kinda funny lookin"

- Old shop owner in NCFOM who "closes now. He closes now" and "needs to know what he's flipping for"

- The nihilist, Flea, in Lebowski who whines that "it's not FAIR!" that they get no money

- Store owner in Raising Arizona who explains that his balloons are only funny if you get a kick out of them being "round"

- H.I.'s cellmate and co-worker who just drone on and on about bullshit; eating crawdads and sand or describing car accidents

- JK Simmons in Burn After Reading who is unsure what they're doing but feels like they should learn from it anyway. The Russian counsalent who stares at a CD and asks "PC or MAC"?

They even made a memorable character out of a loving painting and a cat in "Ladykillers", which everyone seems to hate except for me.

As for main characters, Tommy Lee Jones Sheriff in No Country, Billy Bob Thornton's resigned depressed barber in The Man Who Wasn't There and, now, Tom Waits beaten but persistent prospector in Buster Skruggs