Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

snergle posted:

you can only say they are under rated based on profit margins their movies make. they arent trying to make huge block buster movies they are making quirky comedies and character driven dramas which dont tend to be huge box office draws. They always get funding and always get to make a new movie even if their last one was a bomb. they also get lots of awards / nominations. seriously go through their filmography again about 50% are poo poo while the other 50% are great. Its not just one big long run of hits either its very spotty

I'd really love to see your list of which movies are poo poo, because I'm not seeing it.

Blood Simple(very good to great)
Raising Arizona(great)
Millers Crossing(very good)
The Hudsucker Proxy(pretty good)
Fargo(masterpiece)
The Big Lebowski(great)
The Man Who Wasn't There(pretty good)
Intolerable Cruelty(ok I'll give you this one is bad)
The Ladykillers(I'll give you this one too, it's pretty bad)
No Country For Old Men(masterpiece)
Burn After Reading(very good)
A Serious Man(very good)
True Grit(very good)
Inside Llewyn Davis(very good)
Hail Caesar!(pretty good, but if you want to count this one, ok)
The new Western thing they just released on Netflix(haven't seen it yet)

So by my count that's 3 substandard films out of 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

I haven't seen their entire body of work but I watched Intolerable Cruelty at home and enjoyed it :(
What's wrong with it?

It's a decent example of that kind of movie, I just don't like that genre and don't ever really find myself enjoying movies like that. It was such a departure for them that I just have no desire to ever watch it again. It's competently made though, like everything else they've done.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Buster Scruggs is one of the most fun characters they’ve done and I wish his part was bigger.

I loved him too and that was my main criticism of the movie. Not nearly enough time to get to know all of the characters so when a good one came along they were usually gone forever from the film within 10 minutes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

The Coen Brothers are so good at writing off-beat and memorable minor characters but my favorite is probably this lady from No Country For Old Men.

I love this character, her actress, pretty much everything about how this scene is framed and its story is told in less than a minute of actual screentime. It's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UE3jz_O_EM&t=255s

Here's a really good video about the Coens where they use that woman as an example of what you're talking about(around the 4min mark). They use shot-reverse shot a lot, but unlike a lot of directors they use those shots to the fullest extent to give the audience little extra bits about characters who maybe only appear for a single scene. Someone in another thread once linked me to the video, I'd give them credit but I can't remember which thread it was.