Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
Coen brothers are over rated. they are good writers and have made great movies but they have as many turds as they do good movies. Just like spielberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

BiggerBoat posted:

Get a load of this wrongness. If anything, they're underrated. At least based on something like commercial success. I find even their weakest films have a lot to offer.

Obligatory "well...that's just like...your opinion, man"

you can only say they are under rated based on profit margins their movies make. they arent trying to make huge block buster movies they are making quirky comedies and character driven dramas which dont tend to be huge box office draws. They always get funding and always get to make a new movie even if their last one was a bomb. they also get lots of awards / nominations. seriously go through their filmography again about 50% are poo poo while the other 50% are great. Its not just one big long run of hits either its very spotty

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Basebf555 posted:

So by my count that's 3 substandard films out of 15.

you forgot a few but ill do my own list.

Blood simple: ok
crimewave: bad ( i understand if you want to argue this since raimi helped write and directed.)
raising arizona: great
millers crossing: ok
barton fink: meh
hudsucker proxy: meh
fargo: good
lebowski: good
o brother: good ( i personally dont like it but i understand while others go)
the man who wasnt there: bad
intolerable cruelty: bad ( again there was a third writer but joel directed)
ladykillers: bad ( i actually like this one but i like bad movies)
no country for old men: good
burn after reading: bad
a serious man: meh
true grit: ok
gambit:bad ( they didnt direct)
inside lewis: meh
unbroken: bad ( they didnt direct and had writing help)
bridge of spies: bad ( they didnt direct and had help writing)
hail ceaser: bad
surbicon: bad ( they didnt direct)
buster scruggs: havent seen

now that im writing this out i think the problem isnt the coen brothers but the people they let work with them. so i retract my over rated statement and now demand they put a clause into their contract where noone else is allowed to help write or direct their movies.

snergle has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Nov 23, 2018