Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Getting rid of social media was life changing for me.

I started with Facebook, then deleted Instagram. Those were the only 2 I ever used on any sort of regular basis. At first I felt uncomfortably “disconnected” and like I was missing out on what was going on, as pathetic as that sounds typing out. It was a definite adjustment losing “contact” with a lot of people as well.

On the flipside of that though, I also have long running, deep text conversations with people I actually have real, meaningful friendships with that require effort and investment on my part. Where we actually do poo poo together and enrich each others’ lives and enjoy things like mutual interests and hobbies.

It’s pretty staggering some of the other changes that can come about as a result too. It strengthened my marriage substantially just by the fact I’m infinitely more present without the nagging compulsion to check my feed. I kind of equate it to back when I used to smoke and would crave a cig at work. I also read a *lot* more actual books, instead of bullshit articles and redundant white noise.

I also actually stuck with working out and hiking too. Then just the poo poo everyone mentions like attention span, calmness, focus, not feeing depressed, etc etc.

Unrelatedly I mostly cut out drinking a couple years later, and between ditching social media and 98% of the alcohol consumption I participated in back in my 20s-early 30s, it’s loving SHOCKING how much time it feels like there is in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU