Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Isn’t there an issue where Netflix forces their productions to use a specific digital camera, which is why a lot of Netflix stuff looks like rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Isn’t there an issue where Netflix forces their productions to use a specific digital camera, which is why a lot of Netflix stuff looks like rear end?
Nope.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yes. Here is the approved list of cameras

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Are you suggesting that a list of 44 approved cameras, many of which have been used to film gorgeous movies, shows that Netlix movies look like poo poo because they force their productions to use one specific digital camera?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What do y'all think of How The West Was Won?
My boomer grade 7 teacher showed it in class in 1991 or 92 or so. Or we at least saw part of it in class. I remember that teacher was in the habit of showing only parts of movies. I think we saw the first two episodes of Roots for example.

I totally forgot about HTWWW until like 15-20 years later, and remembered it. I wasn't even sure if I would like it, but I bought it on DVD at a used media store, brought my Gf over and we watched it.
Its definitely become one of my top 5 faves. I'm sure some of you more cultured cinema buffs will say its kinda lame because of reasons X,Y and Z but I love that poo poo personally.

The cast is a big who's who of Hollywood (for the time) cast, a good (IMHO) story line, and the score is probably my favorite music score. I even bought the cd and unironically listen to it from time to time.

There was a TV series based loosely on the movie in the 70s as well. It never caught on in the Americastates or Canada, but its was pretty popular in Europe. I picked that up on dvd too and thought it was pretty good for the most part.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Are you suggesting that a list of 44 approved cameras, many of which have been used to film gorgeous movies, shows that Netlix movies look like poo poo because they force their productions to use one specific digital camera?

No. The person asked if Netflix limits it's productions to select digital cameras, and they do.

Personally, I wish that productions were allowed to use celluloid if the directors wanted it, because I like how it looks, and I've read a lot of filmmakers I like hesitate to work with Netflix for that reason, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. Although Netflix originals are basically the last thing I think to watch.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been feeling the Western vibe, so gotta post! Digging the recommendations and takes on the last couple pages too.

I really enjoyed High Noon and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance in the past week. Really really good, other than My Darling Clementine and Magnificent Seven, also Hang Em High, these are pretty much the only pre-70s Hollywood westerns I've seen. I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would, since I tend to be more into the Italian stuff, film noir, and more immediately "cool/rad" stuff. I also dig Peckinpah. Wait, I also saw three other John Wayne movies, which I found good but not entirely my jam (True Grit, The Searchers, and Rio Bravo).

But High Noon and Liberty Valance, those would sit very well next to the film noir and whatnot on the shelf, one being really tense, the other being just terrific character work, with some good intense stuff later on.

For spaghetti Westerns I've seen the core Leone four and Django way back, love those. So I've got a big list I'm intending to dig into, plus rewatches.

The Mercenary, Day of Anger, The Big Gundown, Companeros, Duck You Sucker, They Call Me Trinity, Death Rides a Horse, some more Hollywood like Shane and Silverado, Lonesome Dove, The Long Riders, and even more Italian stuff to check out too.

Also got a couple of those Blueberry comics by Moebius, those look pretty cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 9, 2022

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
You should check out The Naked Spur and The Tall T. If you love noir, you'll love those.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a new Tarantino doc called Django Django but Quentin spends the majority of it talking about Sergio Corbucci, it really should’ve been called Sergio Sergio.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I'll check those out! And QT is always cool to listen to, him and Edgar Wright both seem to watch more movies than anybody on Earth. Inspiring stuff.

Just watched Shane by the way! That's a cool movie.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102125/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_15

I recently watched a tv movie from 1991 called "Into the Badlands" starring Bruce Dern, Muriel Hemingway, Dylan McDermott, Andrew Robinson, and Helen Hunt.

It was OK. It's a sorta supernatural anthology picture set in the Old West with Bruce Dern as a bounty hunter/narrator. Really it felt like the pilot to a series that was never picked up, with Dern playing the role of the Crypt Keeper.

The stories are kinda meh, but it looks great in a very late 80s early 90s kinda way, and Dern looks like he stepped off the set of Trigun.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 10, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
He looks like Larry David on the poster

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

General Dog posted:

He looks like Larry David on the poster

It works a little better in motion. He also drives around a weird cart full of trophies of his bounties, with a parasol to keep the sun off him. Some pretty good shots of cemeteries as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2pzRDpaq7Q

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You should check out The Naked Spur and The Tall T. If you love noir, you'll love those.

Anthony Mann and Jimmy Stewart are a wonderful combination. Jimmy Stewart always brings that degree of madness to every role. But Anthony Mann brings him to some very dark places. They did three movies together and it gives a very different kind of role for Stewart in all of them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Naked Spur is loving awesome. I went in expecting a fun western adventure with Jimmy Stewart doing his loveably goofy thing, and got a really dark movie instead. Really tense and paranoid.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Thomamelas posted:

Anthony Mann and Jimmy Stewart are a wonderful combination. Jimmy Stewart always brings that degree of madness to every role. But Anthony Mann brings him to some very dark places. They did three movies together and it gives a very different kind of role for Stewart in all of them.

It never really clicked before that the Mann/Stewart combo also made Winchester ‘73, which is an excellent movie. What was their third movie together?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It never really clicked before that the Mann/Stewart combo also made Winchester ‘73, which is an excellent movie. What was their third movie together?

Man From Laramie, I think?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

In the name of watching horror westerns, I watched Grim Prairie Tales, starring Brad Dourif and James Earl Jones. It's a horror anthology with a wrap around story that the tales are stories that James Earl Jones and Brad Dourif are telling each other around the campfire. Honestly the dialogue between those two is better than anything in the rest of the stories.

The stories are about an old man who desecrates an Indian burial ground and receives his comeuppance, a horseman who encounters a pregnant woman walking along side the road in the country, a group of former Confederates settling out west, and a gunfighter haunted by his last kill.

The two that stand out are the middle two. The story of the pregnant woman for the shear WTF-ery of it, and the third for the twist being that the a young woman discovers her dad is a member of the Klan, which, while horrifying, seems a little too real for the movie and is somewhat tonally out of place.

I do feel the bridge stories work as a Deadwood prequel, as Dourif plays essentially the same performance as his Doc Cochrane character, and James Earl Jones is enjoyable as a weird curmudgeon.

The whole thing is up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_YWStB1FWw

And the segment with the pregnant woman just has to be seen to be believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCT-61Mhuk
A woman swallows a man whole with her vagina while they're having sex.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 11, 2022

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Man from Laramie. And I was wrong about it being three films. It's five westerns, three other films. The Westerns are Winchester '73, Bend of the River, The Far Country, The Naked Spur, and The Man from Laramie. Winchester '73 and the The Naked Spur are the two stand outs to me, but all five are pretty solid.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched Fistful of Dollars for time in at least 10 years, that's a great rewatch. Just blows me away every time. I first rented that on VHS in the 90s, I didn't even realize it's Rated R, wasn't allowed to watch those back then. But those Leone's slipped though! Man, just incredibly cool. The music, the style, the just mindboggling badassness of it. Touching too. Oh lord that's a good movie.

Not to get too into body count minutia, but was there anything even close before that movie? It feels like it's not too far removed from the 80s extravagance of Schwarzenegger movies, throwing a machete through somebody especially adds to that. Especially in contrast with the more classy reserved movies I had watched recently. Plus the bits where he has to be stealthy and on the run seem to lead to First Blood and Die Hard. And of course, that great opening scene where he talks about how his mule didn't know it was a joke etc, almost beat for beat redone in Dirty Harry. Props to Yojimbo and Red Harvest etc, but this movie is just influential in so many ways. That music sticks with you too.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Heavy Metal posted:

Just watched Fistful of Dollars for time in at least 10 years, that's a great rewatch. Just blows me away every time. I first rented that on VHS in the 90s, I didn't even realize it's Rated R, wasn't allowed to watch those back then. But those Leone's slipped though! Man, just incredibly cool. The music, the style, the just mindboggling badassness of it. Touching too. Oh lord that's a good movie.

Not to get too into body count minutia, but was there anything even close before that movie? It feels like it's not too far removed from the 80s extravagance of Schwarzenegger movies, throwing a machete through somebody especially adds to that. Especially in contrast with the more classy reserved movies I had watched recently. Plus the bits where he has to be stealthy and on the run seem to lead to First Blood and Die Hard. And of course, that great opening scene where he talks about how his mule didn't know it was a joke etc, almost beat for beat redone in Dirty Harry. Props to Yojimbo and Red Harvest etc, but this movie is just influential in so many ways. That music sticks with you too.

Have you seen Leone's other works? I would say that Fistful is the weakest of the Dollars trilogy, and Once Upon a Time in the West is Leone's best work. As far as versions of the story, there were westerns with a high body count before that, and westerns were the hero had to be stealthy, but Leone turned it into something new, a western that doesn't take place in any specific place, just a perfect "western" land.

You might enjoy Last Man Standing, a remake of Fistful that stars Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken. It's set during prohibition, but takes place in Texas, so you get this juxtaposition of the gangsters with 1911s and Tommy Guns blasting away at each other in an Old West setting. It's pretty bare bones, but one thing I love as a through line between Yojimbo, Fistful, and Last Man Standing is one of the gangs having a giant henchman as part of the group.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

PeterCat posted:

Have you seen Leone's other works? I would say that Fistful is the weakest of the Dollars trilogy, and Once Upon a Time in the West is Leone's best work. As far as versions of the story, there were westerns with a high body count before that, and westerns were the hero had to be stealthy, but Leone turned it into something new, a western that doesn't take place in any specific place, just a perfect "western" land.

You might enjoy Last Man Standing, a remake of Fistful that stars Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken. It's set during prohibition, but takes place in Texas, so you get this juxtaposition of the gangsters with 1911s and Tommy Guns blasting away at each other in an Old West setting. It's pretty bare bones, but one thing I love as a through line between Yojimbo, Fistful, and Last Man Standing is one of the gangs having a giant henchman as part of the group.

One of the things I love about Once Upon A Time in the West is that it's Leone doing a Fordian Western. There are tons of his touches, but it's very much a nod to the period that came before. Stuff like having Woody Strode's gun have the same modification that John Wayne had to twirl it. Hell just having Woody Strode who was part of Ford's troupe of actors.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing about Fistful of Dollars that makes it stand out from the other two in the trilogy is how lean and efficient it is. Of course I enjoy immersing myself in a 2 hours+ Leone Western as much as the next guy but Fistful of Dollars kinda fills a different niche. It moves from beat to beat extremely quickly and there's a constant escalation happening for the entire movie, it's just a different feel than the other two.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, so much is cool about it. The mythology, the wry sardonic vibe, how things go right when he rolls into town. Plus the way it kind of peaks emotionally 2/3rds in and has an atypical feeling last act. Definitely packs a lot in there.

PeterCat posted:

Yep yep, I love the core Leone four, Once Upon A Time in the West is my fav too. Gonna rewatch all those for the first time in a long time. I have never seen Duck You Sucker which I'm gonna pop on soon. I didn't happen to like Last Man Standing, but I respect the intention of it. Plus goes to show there's a lot of reasons Fistful of Dollars works so well, outside of the story setup. I feel like John Woo should've directed that or something. Always want more Woo. I do often love Walter Hill though.

And that bit about Once Upon A Time in the West paying tribute to older westerns, that is cool. I notice a bunch are listed on its wikipedia page like Shane etc. Also wild putting everything in context, like Leone asking Ennio to do a score in the style of the High Noon guy Tiomkin for Fistful of Dollars. You might say he did even better!

Any fans of those Trinity guys, Spencer and Hill? I haven't checked those out yet. It is wild that they have a steam beat-em-up game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/564050/Bud_Spencer__Terence_Hill__Slaps_And_Beans/

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 11, 2022

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

For sure, so much is cool about it. The mythology, the wry sardonic vibe, how things go right when he rolls into town. Plus the way it kind of peaks emotionally 2/3rds in and has an atypical feeling last act. Definitely packs a lot in there.

Yep yep, I love the core Leone four, Once Upon A Time in the West is my fav too. Gonna rewatch all those for the first time in a long time. I have never seen Duck You Sucker which I'm gonna pop on soon. I didn't happen to like Last Man Standing, but I respect the intention of it. Plus goes to show there's a lot of reasons Fistful of Dollars works so well, outside of the story setup. I feel like John Woo should've directed that or something. Always want more Woo. I do often love Walter Hill though.

And that bit about Once Upon A Time in the West paying tribute to older westerns, that is cool. I notice a bunch are listed on its wikipedia page like Shane etc. Also wild putting everything in context, like Leone asking Ennio to do a score in the style of the High Noon guy Tiomkin for Fistful of Dollars. You might say he did even better!

Any fans of those Trinity guys, Spencer and Hill? I haven't checked those out yet. It is wild that they have a steam beat-em-up game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/564050/Bud_Spencer__Terence_Hill__Slaps_And_Beans/

Duck you Sucker isn't awful but it's not in the same league as the Dollars Trilogy or Once Upon a Time In The West. It's him doing a Zapata Western but not well. And Bud Spencer and Terrance Hill did some wonderful comedic westerns. Lots of slapstick but done pretty well. Not great cinema but entertaining. Terrance Hill did a great End of the West Western called My Name is Nobody. Here is one of the fight scenes. It should give you an idea if you'll like more of what they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=homFt2FaYyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP11jDHwX98

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like Duck You Sucker way more than the Dollar Trilogy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I'm gonna give all those a go. Will be fun seeing how I dig the more comedic ones. I'm gonna try some of those guys other movies like Watch Out, We're Mad! too, those guys look wild.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My Name is Nobody is extremely good. Sometimes I just load up the train scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43CVBWFZRg

Duck You Sucker has a brilliant bait and switch if you go in thinking it's a normal western movie but then motorcycle!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

I like Duck You Sucker way more than the Dollar Trilogy.

Yeah i strongly disagree, Duck You Sucker is my favorite Leone and the most interesting by far. It's maybe not as accomplished as TGTBATU, I guess

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For a Few Dollars more still rules upon rewatch, so good. Lee Van Cleef. I watched The Mercenary too, that's a cool movie. I can see the influence on Tarantino for sure. And Ennio is just ruling. Also some of the music between these two movies is so similar, the whistling and guitar, not a bad thing, it just almost felt like an official Dollars movie. The expanded Dollars universe.

I may pop on Duck You Sucker, Companeros, and those comedy guys ones soon, saving the bigger Leone rewatches for later. Cool to see people digging this fine stuff, drat is it cool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just recently, I've solved my tv antenna problem, and now I get the Channel "Grit"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grit_(TV_network)

Its pretty much nothing but westerns. TV and movies. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to talk about it here, but some of the tv shows are pretty drat good imho.
Tales of Wells Fargo is one of my more favorite of the tv shows on there. I wish they'd start showing Bonanza, and maybe Gunsmoke.
Zane Grey Theatre isn't bad either. The Deputy has some good episodes, but a few that were kinda whack for varying reasons. Again imho.

As far as the movies go, just watched The Quick Gun starring Audie Murphy. Not bad says I.
Last week I watched Stagecoach. With the one guy from Dukes of Hazzard, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and some other people that I can';t think of.

It seems like every week there are about 15 Audie Murphy movies on the channel but I guess he was in a poo poo load of westerns.

Jeremiah Johnson was Grit on a week or two ago. Another one that I thought was pretty good, and going to be on again this weekend.

Once Upon A Time In The West is one I've only seen a couple times but thought it was pretty sweet. Thats the one with Charles Bronson as "Harmonica" isn't it? Its been a while since I've seen it.

Also a fan of Winchester '73.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Once Upon A Time In The West is one I've only seen a couple times but thought it was pretty sweet. Thats the one with Charles Bronson as "Harmonica" isn't it? Its been a while since I've seen it.

Yes.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Heavy Metal posted:

The two Trinity movies (They Call Me Trinity and Trinity Is Still My Name) and My Name is Nobody are really good movies.

At the time the Trinity movies were some of the highest grossing movies in Italy, they were insanely popular. Got real big in Spain and Germany too.

I mean, look at this:

They were directed by Enzo Barboni who was the cinematographer on a whole bunch of westerns in the 60s (including Django). As far as I know he only really directed movies with Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill.

Now, My Name is Nobody is a different animal because the idea to make it came from Sergio Leone.
I guess he figured that if anyone was going to make fun of westerns if drat better be him.
Officially the movie is directed by Tonino Valerii who was Leone's assistant director on Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More but there are some people claiming that Leone actually directed most of it.
What is known is that Leone did second unit directing with Terrence Hill in the saloon scene.

The movie is crammed full of references to all the westerns that came before it (spaghetti and american) and it has what I think is Ennio Morricones best work.
Henry Fonda has also said that it was his favourite movie to make of all the westerns he starred in.

And I mean, look at this guy. How could you say no to that face?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool, gonna watch that soon! And I've loved the theme by Ennio for a while too, so catchy.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Terence Hill Django movie is also pretty fun and has one of my favorite themes in all of spaghetti westerns, so good that it’s the backbone of Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy.”

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Whats the deal with the Django Unchained movie?
Is it a sequel? Or a remake? Something in the middle?

I saw it once years ago, but I pretty much remember nothing except there was a ummmm "certain word" that was used in it a whole shitload of times.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

wesleywillis posted:

Whats the deal with the Django Unchained movie?
Is it a sequel? Or a remake? Something in the middle?

I saw it once years ago, but I pretty much remember nothing except there was a ummmm "certain word" that was used in it a whole shitload of times.

There were a ton of unauthorized sequels to the original Django.

Django Unchained is just Tarantino's entry into the canon.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PeterCat posted:

There were a ton of unauthorized sequels to the original Django.

Django Unchained is just Tarantino's entry into the canon.

Also, one of the fun visual gags in that movie is that Django is wearing the same outfit as Michael Landon wore in Bonanza.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

:drat: no kidding! If I had watched more Bonanza at that time, I might have noticed, but I think I saw Django like 10+ years ago, and never really got in to Bonanza till a few years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I watched a couple of movies about Jesse James today.

The first was "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid," (1972) starring Cliff Robertson, Robert Duvall, and R. G. Armstrong. It's available for free on Youtube and covers the last raid of the James-Younger gang, which took place in the titular Minnesota town. It draws a contrast between the rational leadership of Cole Younger, played by Robertson, and the revivalist energy of Jesse James, played by Robert Duvall.

The fun part of the movie is in how it contrasts the culture of the people of Minnesota from the Southerners. The Southerners are all rural types, close to the land who seem to rely on almost shamanistic rites and superstition, while the the Minnesotans have a local baseball team, complete with uniforms, steam tractors, calliopes, sausages, large Lutheran churches and Scandinavian accents. The people from MN might as well be from another planet compared to the James Gang.

When the gang arrives in town to rob the bank, they find that no one deposits their money in the bank due to fears of it being robbed. So the first thing that Cole has to do is convince all the locals to deposit their money in the bank so that he can steal it. He does this by striking up a bargain with the bank manager who is also a shady customer.

The other movie was Walter Hill's "The Lone Riders," (1980), which was notable for having several sets of real live brothers play the various outlaw brothers. James and Stacy Keach play the James brothers, Dennis and Randy Quaid the Miller bros, several Carradines as the Youngers, and Christopher and Nicholas Guest as the Ford brothers. This movie is the superior of the 1972 movie in every technical aspect, but frankly it's not as much fun. It's probably true to life as it's very episodic, and does cover the Minnesota raid as well, but it doesn't give you much of a feel for any of the characters other than to say that they did have ties to the local Missouri populace and that Jesse James at least wanted some kind of future beyond bank robbery.

Essentially, The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid is a movie that's on the side of Cole Younger, while The Lone Riders is on the side of Jesse James, with both movies basically positing the Pinkertons as the real villains of the piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe84iVmrKUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q03mpak2N1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y18SAwz1vI