Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If you're ever in southern Spain (I lived there for a year) and a western fan, it's well worth paying a visit to Tabernas in Almeria. There are three former - and occasionally still active - western film sets there in close proximity that are now tourist attractions: Mini Hollywood (aka Oasys), Texas Hollywood (aka Fort Bravo) and Western Leone. Mini Hollywood was first built for For A Few Dollars More, Western Leone for Once Upon A Time In The West and Texas Hollywood, as far as I've been able to find out, was set up for the spaghetti western boom in general but used in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, along with many others. The bank at El Paso from FAFDM is a centrepiece of Mini Hollywood, and it's great fun* wandering around all of them and finding a building or setpiece or camera angle that you've seen on screen.

* Warning: spouses may not agree with definition of 'fun'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Raxivace posted:

RIP. His music will eternally intertwined with the West to me forever.
Ditto. To me, his spaghetti western music is western music.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm in the possibly weird position of considering the Clint/Leone films as my "baseline" westerns, probably because I grew up watching them (no idea how, as that was long before even VHS - they must have been required family viewing whenever they were on TV. We also had a book about them that I've been trying to track down for years, with almost play-by-plays of all the gunfights complete with diagrams). As a result, older Hollywood westerns feel somehow wrong; they're usually too green, too clean, too talky - too conventional. In my mind, westerns are set in scrubby deserts, have sweaty Spanish extras looming into frame in close-up to a demented wailing score, and there isn't a cowboy or Indian to be found.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Definitely worth visiting the three western film sets near Tabernas in Spain if you get the opportunity (Mini Hollywood, Texas Hollywood and Western Leone). But it's also amazing how many of the locations from the Dollars trilogy weren't custom-built, but are literally people's houses. Agua Caliente from FAFDM was, and still is, a residential street that just happens to look as if it could belong in the American desert. (It's now called Calle Clint Eastwood, which has to be one of the world's coolest postal addresses.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Made pilgrimage in '19.

Next time we go to Spain I'm hoping we can hit up the GBU cemetery in Burgos.
Did you visit Texas Hollywood? When I was last there in '18 they were halfway through building something new below the Mexican village, a large building similar to the one dominating the village in AFOD, but I haven't seen any photos of it completed and I'm curious to find out what it is. (I know they moved the stretch of railway line since I was there, and I'm wondering if it was all for a film shoot.)