Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Basebf555 posted:

I was primed to love The Ballad of Buster Skruggs but for me it just fell flat. I was pretty shocked, usually the Coens are money in the bank for me but not this one. Just not enough time to get to know any of the characters, and too many of the stories were depressing as hell.

I'm really swinging back and forth on it. I loved the tone of *most* of the vignettes, but some really didn't hit with me at all - the final stagecoach ride in particular, and while I loved Tom Waits' segment, it really felt like it dragged longer than it needed to. I also finally got around to the Film Comment podcast about it (and the Coen brothers in general), and someone on there mentioned the fact that all the stories revolve around money in some way. Given how slavishly devoted to cinema the Coen bros are, the fact this is a Netflix joint, and the switch from serial to anthology, I do kind of want to go back and investigate how they might be making comment on the mercantile nature of Netflix cinema. I think like any Coen film, there's going to be a lot to uncover over further rewatches, even if I didn't immediately like it as much as their other works.

Also, I want to try and get an effort post goin' at some point about Australian westerns. The Proposition is probably the forerunner in a lot of minds, but the Indigenous Australian Revisionist Western is a strong (and contemporary!) genre, with Sweet Country (Warwick Thornton), Mystery Road, Goldstone (Ivan Sen), The Tracker (Rolf de Heer), and The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (Fred Schepisi) all having a look in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

got any sevens posted:

The Mad Maxes are westerns too

A lot of Australian post-apocalyptic stuff mirrors the convict-Cook "new world discovery" that has a lot of parallels with frontier westerns, yeah. I actually watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly the other day and thought about how much Max in Fury Road mirrors Blondie in TGTBATU; Blondie gets overshadowed by (and recieves less development than) Tuco, much in the same way Furiosa does to Max.

I'd also urge everyone to check out The Rover. It's an early Robert Pattinson character actor turn, and Michod's Australiana is always much more fun to watch than whateverthefuck War Machine turned out to be.